Pleasing the Dead

Pleasing the Dead (Storm Kayama #4)

3.33 of 5 stars 3.33  ·  rating details  ·  27 ratings  ·  8 reviews
Some nasty predators dwell in paradise, and they arenat all hiding in the azure waters. The day attorney Storm Kayama arrives in Kahului to help Lara Farrell set up her new dive shop, someone bombs a restaurant. When one of Laraas employees, a recent Japanese immigrant, kills himself and one of his young daughters, Storm begins to ask questions.
The tentacles of the Yakuz...more
Published February 1st 2009 by Poisoned Pen Press (first published February 10th 2008)

Kathleen Hagen
Pleasing the Dead, by Deborah Turrell Atkinson, B-plus, narrated by Bernadette Dunn, produced by Blackstone Audio, downloaded from audible.com.

This book takes place in Hawaii. It is a good and fast read, described as follows by the publisher:

Some nasty predators dwell in paradise. The day attorney Storm Kayama arrives in Kahului to help Lara Farrell set up her new dive shop, someone bombs a
restaurant. When one of Lara's employees, a recent Japanese immigrant, kills himself and one of his young d...more
Jenny Hilborne
If you’ve never been to Hawaii you’ll feel like you have after reading Pleasing the Dead. A mystery set in the islands intrigued me from the beginning. As Deborah Turrell Atkinson writes: some nasty predators dwell in paradise, and they aren’t all hiding in the azure waters. In such an idyllic setting, who would expect anything could go wrong? The combination of innocence and violence, weakness and power is appealing in Pleasing the Dead, the fourth novel in Atkinson’s Storm Kayama series.

The ac...more
Susan
This was a good book. Due to the subject, it was a more difficult read than the others but it also had a compelling depth to it that makes you want to keep reading until you get to the resolution.

Does anyone know? Will there be anymore books in this series? I hope so.
Sherry
Great reading!

I got hooked on the first book and kept getting the one after Great to read and keep you guessing
Jodi
I may have enjoyed this more had I read all the previous novels in the series, but I never really warmed up to Storm. Storm is on Kahalui to help Lara Farrell set up the LLC for her new dive shop. It doesn't take her long before she's involved in something more. The problem is that it never really made sense that Storm was involved. She inserted herself into the situation. In fact, she was targeted almost immediately and that made no sense either. She wasn't a threat. The reading was excellent....more
Lacy♪ ♫Movements of a Demigod ♪ ♫
Overall this book was good, but I had a very hard time getting into it. I also found it very confusing with the inclusion of all the Hawaiian words. I really like the main character Storm. She is very intelligent and caring, but has a tendance to get herself into scrapes. This book also kept you guessing as to how everything went together to the very end. I think it is definitely a book that mystery lovers would like.
Linda
I like to start a series at the beginning and this wasn't. Maybe I would have liked it better if I knew Storm before this adventure.
It did not make me want to visit Hawaii. Also, I don't understand the
title. Although she did dream about a dead person and ended up doing
what she had said. But really.
Naomi
Although this book had my 3 favorite "things" in it, Hawaii, books and Scuba Diving, I thought the story fell short and was simply "blah". Unless I need them for challenges, probably won't continue on in the series.
Krystyna Overmyer
Krystyna Overmyer marked it as to-read
Mar 26, 2014
Ekaterina
Ekaterina marked it as to-read
Mar 12, 2014
T
T marked it as to-read
Feb 16, 2014
Gail
Gail marked it as to-read
Jun 10, 2013
Kat
Kat marked it as to-read
May 10, 2013
Randall
Randall marked it as to-read
Nov 12, 2012
Fred
Fred marked it as to-read
May 21, 2012
Krissy Labit
Krissy Labit marked it as to-read
May 14, 2012
Collene
Collene marked it as to-read
Mar 22, 2012
Hokulani
Hokulani marked it as to-read
Apr 03, 2011
Inspired by Tony Hillermans stories of the Navajo, Deborah Atkinsons suspense novels expose not only the dark side of human nature, but the legends and folklore of Hawaii.

Debby lives in Honolulu with her husband and their two sons. A recipient of the University of Hawaii's Meryl Clark Award for Fiction, she is a graduate of the University of Michigan, the Iowa Writers' Workshop, and the author of...more
More about Deborah Turrell Atkinson...
Primitive Secrets The Green Room Fire Prayer: A Storm Kayama Mystery Fire Prayer (Large Print 16pt)