Start by marking “Boneshaker” as Want to Read:
Boneshaker

Boneshaker

In hard-hitting, sophisticated, often lyrical language, Jan Beatty investigates the idea of the body as cultural machine, shelter, mirage, or home. She rescripts the birth scene with girders and industrial pulleys; the womb as inhabited by a young girl architect. Structurally adventurous, the poems in Boneshaker question icons and invoke taboos, connect desire with place a ...more
Published February 21st 2002 by University of Pittsburgh Press (first published January 1st 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Boneshaker, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Boneshaker

Julene
Jul 19, 2009 Julene rated it it was amazing
Shelves: poetry
This book of poetry rocks! Sharp driven poetry that addresses working class, family, sex.

In "The Waitress Angels Speak to me in a Vision" she writes: "You've heard of/dust to dust, well this was dust to angels,/but these were real women with hard faces,/ lifers in white, these were tough broads,/broads with cigarettes, pockets full of/guest checks and loose change—sassy babes/with big hair, gravelly laughs and downtown talk,/smackin each other on the back, saying,/"Honey, you're full of shit,"
Theresa
Jul 01, 2012 Theresa rated it did not like it
Asked if it was good a couple of times, unfortunately by my teenage daughter and her friend, and had to tell them, i misstakenly borrowed it from the library, while ordering a book of similar title, but that i would not recommend it.
The poetry is dramatic, and the time to make you think, but very negitaive, the author repeatedly explains her pain in being a motherless child, who was abandoned, and left with a father who died of drink and abuse, and that she was inlove with women, and was abused
Angela
Feb 21, 2014 Angela rated it liked it
This was pretty good. The writing is solid, and the characters are reasonably good. The world building is fairly excellent, and definitely my favorite part of this book.

My problem was I didn't particularly connect with any of the characters. I have this problem with some books, and this was one of them.

I did get through to the end, but knocked a star off an otherwise 4-star rating because this just wasn't a page-turner for me.
Laura Davis
Dec 30, 2011 Laura Davis rated it really liked it
Beatty writes honestly about things others refuse to try: sexual abuse and rape, poverty, ignorance, the holiness of outdoor sex and motorcycles.
Retha
Oct 28, 2007 Retha rated it it was amazing
Jan Beatty's poems hit me where it hurts and it feels so good. She's raw and real and tender all at the same time.
Diane
Diane rated it it was amazing
Apr 16, 2015
Rusty
Rusty rated it liked it
Feb 16, 2008
Abigail Clark
Abigail Clark rated it liked it
Mar 24, 2014
Jennifer Huxta
Jennifer Huxta rated it liked it
Sep 01, 2007
Ron Mohring
Ron Mohring rated it really liked it
Nov 22, 2012
Patricia Jabbeh W
Jan 15, 2008 Patricia Jabbeh W rated it it was amazing
Great book, wonderful poet. Jan makes poetry meaningful to our lives. Read her.
Andrea
Andrea rated it it was amazing
Jan 14, 2014
Paul Scot August
Paul Scot August rated it really liked it
Oct 30, 2011
Amy Lee
Amy Lee rated it it was amazing
Feb 27, 2015
Karissa Morton
Karissa Morton rated it liked it
Mar 03, 2011
Sophia Akhtar
Sophia Akhtar rated it really liked it
Nov 30, 2016
Amber Guyton
Amber Guyton rated it liked it
Aug 01, 2011
Jakob
Jakob rated it really liked it
Nov 18, 2008
Emily
Emily rated it it was amazing
Aug 23, 2012
Shannon Heim
Shannon Heim rated it it was amazing
Sep 09, 2007
Rebecca
Rebecca rated it really liked it
Apr 12, 2014
Crystalee
Crystalee rated it really liked it
Dec 12, 2009
Colleen Eberlin
Colleen Eberlin rated it it was amazing
Mar 05, 2016
B.
B. rated it liked it
Apr 23, 2012
Erik
Erik rated it liked it
Apr 24, 2013
Elizabeth
Elizabeth rated it it was amazing
Mar 11, 2016
Erica
Erica rated it it was amazing
May 26, 2015
Albert
Albert rated it really liked it
May 14, 2008
K.B.L.
K.B.L. rated it really liked it
Jul 05, 2011
Chris
Chris rated it really liked it
Jul 25, 2010