Start by marking “Blue on Blue Ground” as Want to Read:
Blue on Blue Ground

Blue on Blue Ground

4.20  ·  Rating Details  ·  46 Ratings  ·  8 Reviews
Blue on Blue Ground is about the body, desire, anxiety, and obsession—how what we want redeems and isolates us (and is sometimes used against us). These poems are artful yet accessible, lyrical yet direct, strange but recognizable.

Smith’s relentless self-examination, fear, sense of humor, and vulnerability are all laid to bare in crisp, precise language. From lonely observ
Published September 28th 2005 by University of Pittsburgh Press (first published 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Blue on Blue Ground, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Blue on Blue Ground

Sara Kearns
Mar 15, 2010 Sara Kearns rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: everyone who reads poetry, everyone who doesn't read poetry, oh just EVERYONE.
I think Anne Sexton and Frank O’Hara had a child and his name is Aaron Smith, and his Blue on Blue Ground is perhaps the bravest collection of poems since Sharon Olds gave us sacraments such as Satan Says and The Gold Cell. Aaron Smith’s courage is on par with that of revolutionary writers like Sexton, O’Hara, Langston Hughes, and Gwendolyn Brooks. His first full-length collection is unapologetically confessional, and both defiantly confrontational and defiantly vulnerable. His emotional honest ...more
Matthew
Oct 21, 2015 Matthew rated it it was amazing
Shelves: poetry
Really amazing. Reminds me of a grittier Mark Doty: they have the same way of merging and elevating several commonplace occurrences into a single epiphanic moment. Intellectually stimulating, emotionally riveting, aurally titillating... some great poetry.

(I read his second book, APPETITE, when it came out awhile ago and don't remember being impressed. I'm going to have to revisit it soon.)

A lot of the poems take place in Pittsburgh, which is where I'm from, and it's crazy hearing him talk about
Don Gochenour
Mar 06, 2016 Don Gochenour rated it it was amazing
Shelves: poetry
Amazing.
Larry Kaplun
Apr 21, 2008 Larry Kaplun rated it it was amazing
I love Aaron Smith. His poems remind me of David Trinidad mixed with some Frank O'Hara mixed with some Denise Duhamel, who chose this book for the Agnes Lynch Prize. Here are some titles from "Blue on Blue Ground"; "Cher Uncensored", "Dear Matt Damon", "Brad Pitt". So there are quite a few poems talking about pop-culture, but there are many other types of poems too. All of them good! Check it out!
Robert Vaughan
Jan 18, 2016 Robert Vaughan rated it it was amazing
Brilliantly effusive poetry that burns, singes and tingles. Smith's collection is so relatable, so accessible, that I forgot I'd read the entire book in one sitting. Amazing work from a stellar poet.
B.
Feb 25, 2012 B. rated it really liked it
Funny, sad, lyrical, whimsical, Aaron Smith's collection of poems cut straight to that part of the heart that makes one see the world through someone else's eyes. Always a wondrous effect.
SmarterLilac
Feb 14, 2009 SmarterLilac rated it really liked it
Good, though it suffers somewhat from self-referenciality.
Smita
Nov 13, 2013 Smita rated it it was amazing
This is...
Joseph
Joseph marked it as to-read
Mar 28, 2016
Jusu
Jusu marked it as to-read
Mar 13, 2016
Klara
Klara rated it liked it
Apr 24, 2016
Rafe
Rafe marked it as to-read
Jan 24, 2016
Christeen
Christeen marked it as to-read
Jan 04, 2016
Ann Marie
Ann Marie marked it as to-read
Nov 15, 2015
Anthony Moll
Anthony Moll rated it really liked it
Nov 15, 2015
Macartney
Macartney marked it as to-read
Oct 09, 2015
∞Bertha
∞Bertha marked it as to-read
Oct 07, 2015
Ellie
Ellie marked it as to-read
Oct 04, 2015
Zach Schwab
Zach Schwab rated it really liked it
Sep 05, 2015
Heloise Cambonie
Heloise Cambonie marked it as to-read
Aug 18, 2015
Keith
Keith rated it it was amazing
Jul 24, 2015
Charlotte Macvittie
Charlotte Macvittie marked it as to-read
Jul 13, 2015
Alexander
Alexander rated it it was amazing
Jul 04, 2015
Salina
Salina marked it as to-read
May 23, 2016
Alan Dupay
Alan Dupay marked it as to-read
Feb 28, 2015
Spencer
Spencer rated it really liked it
Sep 11, 2015
Monica
Monica marked it as to-read
Sep 24, 2014
Kimberly Spivey
Kimberly Spivey marked it as to-read
Sep 06, 2014