Start by marking “Art Deco: The Golden Age of Graphic Art & Illustration” as Want to Read:
Art Deco: The Golden Age of Graphic Art & Illustration

Art Deco: The Golden Age of Graphic Art & Illustration

This beautifully illustrated book is a celebration of Art Deco's expression through the graphic arts and illustration. Divided into three sections - the movement, its fashion and advertising - the reader gains great insight into the artists and innovators that helped popularize the Art Deco movement, such as Georges Barbier, Erte, Cassandre and Paul Colin. While the main f ...more
Published August 1st 2009 by Flame Tree Publishing (first published September 19th 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Art Deco, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Art Deco

Wendy
Feb 15, 2014 Wendy rated it it was amazing
Shelves: owned
A beautiful book, bought as a gift for me by my husband. Full of gorgeous illustrations, photos and explanation. I love it!
Genevieve C 3
Jan 16, 2017 Genevieve C 3 rated it it was amazing
My fave artist, Erte was in this a lot. It had really good descriptions of the psychology of graphic art and advertising in this era.
Rosemary
Aug 25, 2015 Rosemary rated it really liked it
This books main drawing point is the beautifully reproduced pictures. It does also offer an overview of the art deco period as well as profiles of some of the most prominent artists of the period. These artist profiles are categorised into either fashion or advertisement although all the artists are visual artists. The information in the book isn't particularly in depth but that's not really the point of the book. My only gripe was that the author seemed overly generous in his estimation of the ...more
Celestalis
Jun 27, 2014 Celestalis rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Perfect coffee table book. Lots of beautiful illustrations and actually has a great story to tell about the Art Deco movement in fashion, art, and also discusses the social implications of the time period. This is one of my absolutely favourite periods of all time; this book elegantly and thoroughly captures many of the reasons why.
Sandra
I bought this book years ago when it was on sale (how there were ever any copies left to make it to the sales corner is mystery to me). I stumbled on it quite by accident and it is one of my happiest finds. the book is stunning. It has everything you could want in a sourcebook for Art Deco and it will turn anyone who reads it into an art deco lover. Its perfection.
Zane
Feb 16, 2013 Zane rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction
A beautiful cover, and a beautiful interior, on a beautiful topic. I love this book a great deal: it was the first book I ever owned about Art Deco, and it opened my eyes to some of the essentials on the subject.
Colleen
Aug 10, 2013 Colleen rated it really liked it
Nice history book. The only thing that I didn't enjoy was having to flip back to pictures after the descriptions...I really hate flipping back and forth, especially when the book is an awkward shape.
Eileen
May 13, 2016 Eileen rated it it was amazing
Absolutely lavish.
Ferhat Culfaz
Oct 06, 2016 Ferhat Culfaz rated it liked it
Good coffee table book. Nice introduction to the movement.
Dwayne Roberts
A beautiful and inspirational book
Liz
Liz rated it really liked it
Oct 22, 2011
Alex Cox
Alex Cox rated it really liked it
Oct 23, 2012
Zoran Novakovic
Zoran Novakovic rated it it was amazing
Jan 03, 2012
Kathy
Kathy rated it really liked it
Sep 09, 2012
Christine
Christine rated it it was amazing
Jan 03, 2015
The Rad Books
The Rad Books rated it it was amazing
Dec 27, 2011
Megan
Megan rated it really liked it
Sep 17, 2011
Karen Braid
Karen Braid rated it it was amazing
Aug 30, 2013
Ava
Ava rated it liked it
Oct 05, 2015
Samantha
Samantha rated it it was amazing
Jun 03, 2014
Linton
Linton rated it liked it
Nov 10, 2013
Countercheck
Countercheck rated it really liked it
Apr 19, 2013
Karren
Karren rated it really liked it
May 11, 2012
Bonnie Watts
Bonnie Watts rated it really liked it
Sep 24, 2013
Amber
Amber rated it really liked it
Aug 17, 2014
Josiah J. Robinson
Josiah J. Robinson rated it really liked it
Jan 21, 2013
Jan Sandford
Jan Sandford rated it it was amazing
Apr 01, 2013
Hannah
Hannah rated it really liked it
Nov 25, 2016
Michael Curl
Michael Curl rated it liked it
Nov 26, 2015
Luciana
Luciana rated it it was amazing
Jun 08, 2014