The Deathworld Trilogy
read book* *Different edition

The Deathworld Trilogy (Deathworld #1-3)

3.93 of 5 stars 3.93  ·  rating details  ·  1,317 ratings  ·  49 reviews
On Pyrrus, colonists have fought a centuries-old war with native life forms which adapt to human tactics & technology, evolving new species so rapidly that natives returning from even brief trips offplanet must be carried in protective armor canisters from their ship to safe buildings, where they learn of the latest threats. The 1st three stories were initially publish...more
Published 1968 by Nelson Doubleday, Inc. (Garden City, NY)

John Kirk
As the name suggests, this collects three books together, imaginatively titled "Deathworld 1", "Deathworld 2", and (wait for it) "Deathworld 3". Based on the introduction, "Deathworld 1" may have been Harrison's first published work; there are certainly themes that he went on to develop more in his other novels. For instance, the concept of someone tech-savvy being dumped on a planet where they've forgotten how to use most technology came up in a few of the Stainless Steel Rat books, and "Jason...more
Charles Dee Mitchell
I have not chosen well when it comes to my reading of the Grand Masters of Science Fiction. I have searched out early honorees by whom I had previously neither read nor been inclined to read anything. BIg surprise. I haven't much liked anything I've come across. Some of it I have admired and found historically interesting, but nothing have I been crazy about,

And now I've done it again with Harry Harrison. Years of working with used books made me familiar with Harrison's Stainless Steel Rat serie...more
Marsha
“The Deathworld Trilogy” is old-school sci-fi writing, with plenty of action, derring-do, hard science and hardscrabble living on alien worlds. However, it also features an engaging anti-hero, the gambling, conniving, fast-talking, war-starting, gun-toting Jason dinAlt, a man whose morals shift with every new planet he encounters.

Jason is a realist and pragmatist, a man blessed with infinite reserves of strength, stamina, cunning, intelligence and sheer luck. He manages to pull success from alm...more
419tjhamilton
Fun when you're young. Probably does not stand up well if you read it as an adult.
April
The Deathworld Trilogy
Harry Harrison
Berkley Publishing Corporation
1976 (original copyright - 1960, 1964, 1968)

Deathworld
In this first book, Jason, a gambler with a psi advantage is pulled into a plot to raise funds for a mysterious individual and the planet he represents. Eventually Jason ends up on this planet, the most dangerous planet in the galaxy.

Jason, as a character suffers from being better and smarter than everyone else, and he can be rather smug about it. The other characters are rath...more
Dale Renton
Deathworld was written in 1960 and - like myself - is showing its age a little. But not too much to discourage you from reading what is a bit of a SF classic. There are "future-tech" references to tapes and wires where we digital age people already consider such technologies as borderline archaic. There are explicit and implied social values reflective of an age where the role of women, in particular, was somewhat more passive and restricted than now. The protagonist, Jason Dinalt, is a little o...more
Karina
Finished the first two and currently onto the third. I found it a bit disconcerting that though the title of the second book in the series is "Deathworld 2" it deals with a different planet... And the fact that the protagonist suddenly obtained additional skills not mentioned in the first. In the first book he has the psi ability (used to control objects, read the moods, command animals) and he's a successful gambler. In the second book suddenly he's a technician, he knows a whole bunch about ch...more
Raja99
Aug 08, 2011 Raja99 added it
Shelves: hardcover-h
See my reviews for the individual novels: Deathworld 1 , Deathworld 2 , and Deathworld 3 . I actually re-read these novels with short breaks between them, and I read them from the recent Benbella hardcover, which includes "The Mothballed Spaceship", a Deathworld short story that Harrison wrote as a memorial to John Campbell, Jr. when Campbell died. (One of my good friends gave me this older edition after he got the Benbella hardcover.)
Doug Dandridge
Jun 24, 2012 Doug Dandridge rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Readers of Harrison
Kind of an anachronism, but still good.
The Deathworld trilogy is three novels/novelettes in one. The stories
revolve around a group of people who colonize a world that really doesn't
want them there. Everything that creeps, crawls or flies attacks the
colonists with tooth, claw and stinger. Even some plants get in on the
act. An outsider is brought in who determines what the problem is, and
gives them a temporary solution. The others stories are about the efforts
of the colonists, who are all st...more
Erik Graff
Apr 28, 2011 Erik Graff rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Harrison fans
Recommended to Erik by: no one
Shelves: sf
I started reading the Deathworld books as a little kid, picking up the original novel at Knack's Drugstore in Bridgman, Michigan while still in elementary school. By my immature standards it was very sexy and the violence exciting, so I picked up the second one when it became available as well. By 1968, when the three were bound in one hardcover available through The Science Fiction Bookclub, I ordered it and read the last of the three volumes, no longer anywhere near as impressed as I was previ...more
Melyfong
I'm pretty upset that this is the "Deathworld Trilogy" but when you click the read now button all you actually get to read is the first book. It says it's the trilogy, but it only gives you deathworld. I'm so disappointed. :[
Shari Scott
I thoroughly enjoyed the first book; didn't like the second one much; the third one was okay. I found the unique qualities of the first book were totally lost in the second and third, and I don't understand why he went so far afield from a winning combination of character, plot, and suspense. Too bad.
Adam Collet
Finished this a while ago, just catching up.

Any one of these novellas deserves a higher rating than three stars. They are excellent, classic science fiction. However, there is both painful repetition (philosophical themes) and a lack of continuity in some character attributes. Trying not to get into spoiler territory here.

Each of the novellas has its own attributes that makes it interesting and fun despite these complaints, and they all have a place in science fiction history. So, despite the lu...more
Steven Schreier
Not the best of Harry's work but enjoyable none the less.
Stas
In the interest of fairness and semi- i mean self- transparency, I must and I do confess that before I retourned to reading serious fikshan, such as Middlemarch, I fell from grace almost completely, and wallowed in trash:
three novels by Harry Harrison. I still love the first one, having read it probably every few months all through my very young teen years. No 2 and 3 kinda suck. I can only imagine how terrible are the later sequels, the ones he wrote just for the Russian market. (I'm not kiddin...more
Connor
Awesome book and favorite character is rhes
Jim
Lots of fun & adventure, this contains 3 adventures of Jason, a gambler with a touch of psi ability that makes him a very comfortable living at the craps table. In the first story, he meets up with the Pyrann's, humans from possibly the most dangerous planet in the explored universe. In the second, he is kidnapped & winds up playing something similar to the Connecticut Yankee. In the third, he works on a new home for the Pyranns. It's funny, somewhat educational & always interesting....more
Serdar
Was turned on to this through a friend in high school -- kind of a grittier take on the same turf trod by Harrison in "The Stainless Steel Rat" (which is superb). First book is the best; second is more like Robinson Crusoe in space; third is a reworking of the Genghis Khan story. All are buoyed up by the hero's acid humor and some clever situations. First installment also deserves to be filmed, although I wonder if at this point people would make unfair comparisons to "Avatar". Sigh.
Michael
A great read by one of the classic writers of science fiction. I read Deathworld many years ago as a teenager. I had never read Deathworld 2 and 3 until now. I bought this book at a used bookstore and I am glad I did. Some of the older science fiction from the 60's and before is pretty dated but except for a couple of small things these books have withstood the test of time. I recommend these books to anyone who enjoys Space Opera, action, or military type science fiction.
Writtenwyrdd
Just got a copy of the science fiction book club copy of this trilogy. I used to own a copy back when, haven't read it but the one time in the 70s, and so (like many books I used to own) I've just bought a copy to replace the long-lost one in my library. I'll report back in when I finally get to rereading it. I'm sure it'll be somewhat dated, but I recall it as a fun read.

Andreas
Apr 28, 2008 Andreas rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: die-hard sf readers or if you study the Golden Age for historical reasons
Shelves: science-fiction
The first part of the trilogy was okay. Nothing outstanding but a solid adventure. The second part I liked much less. It's something I would have enjoyed in my youth but not anymore. The last part I didn't finish at all. It's a typical pulp SF book that has nothing to offer but dusty entertainment. Skip it.
Kerry
The first book that I read when I started keeping my second book list in April of 1975. The one I read was the Science Fiction Book Club printing of the original hardcover from 1968. Since it is now 2010, I remember liking the three books (Deathworld, Deathworld 2, and Deathworld 3) but that is about all.
Tony
The first stories I ever read by Harry Harrison, concerning his slightly psionic gambler, Jason DinAlt. These are pure fluff science fiction, but still very entertaining. This book contains 3 of the "Deathworld" stories.
Pete Rossington
Great book for kids, which I am at heart. Some of the concepts are a little dated but that's because it was written some time ago. It's the first time I have read a book by this author and I look forward to others.
David Melik
This is post-apocalyptic SF a relative lent me to read when I was at least 12. My parents got mad that I read this. It is sort of like James Bond, _1984_, _Brave_New_World_, _Logan's_Run_, etc.
Sharon Michael
Re-read of an old favorite I haven't read for many years. Very well done of it's kind, I'd forgotten much of it, but it was a very enjoyable book, interesting world and characters.
Petrohawk
Another great Harrison trilogy. Guns, Monsters, barbarians, bugs, super women! can't beat this set!
"where you get poison krenoj root Chaka?" A real romp in space!
John Pansini
I would have given it 4 or 5 stars but I was disappointed with the ending. Too trite. This will not stop me, however, from reading the next installment.
  • Planet of Adventure (Planet of Adventure, #1-4)
  • Midworld (Humanx Commonwealth, #4)
  • A World Out of Time (The State, #1)
  • The People of the Wind
  • John Carter and the Giant of Mars (Barsoom, #11.1)
  • Immortality, Inc.
  • The Crucible of Time
  • Brain Twister
  • Iceworld
  • Soldier, Ask Not (Childe Cycle, #3)
  • Berserker Man (Berserker, #4)
  • Davy
  • Tower of Glass

Harry Harrison (born Henry Maxwell Dempsey) was an American science fiction author best known for his character the The Stainless Steel Rat and the novel Make Room! Make Room! (1966), the basis for the film Soylent Green (1973). He was also (with Brian W. Aldiss) co-president of the Birmingham Science Fiction G...more
More about Harry Harrison...
The Stainless Steel Rat (Stainless Steel Rat, #4) The Adventures of the Stainless Steel Rat (Stainless Steel Rat, #4-6) A Stainless Steel Rat is Born (Stainless Steel Rat, #1) The Stainless Steel Rat Wants You! (Stainless Steel Rat, #7) The Stainless Steel Rat Saves the World (Stainless Steel Rat, #6)