Start by marking “Doggies” as Want to Read:
Doggies

Doggies

3.96 of 5 stars 3.96  ·  rating details  ·  3,654 ratings  ·  141 reviews
Count - and bark - with a fun pack of pups in this Sandra Boynton classic.

Serious silliness for all ages. Artist Sandra Boynton is back and better than ever with completely redrawn versions of her multi-million selling board books. These whimsical and hilarious books, featuring nontraditional texts and her famous animal characters, have been printed on thick board pages, a
Board Book, 14 pages
Published October 11th 1984 by Little Simon

To ask other readers questions about Doggies, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Doggies

Chris
My son loves this book. We usually read it before bedtime. After 5 minutes of barking (Arf Arf Arf, Aroof Aroof) and howling (Awoooooooooooooooh) and laughing at each other, Mommy comes in and tells us to settle down because it's time for bed. This usually results in crying (by me), the occasional tantrum (guilty again), and lots of pouting (you guessed it).
Marieke
Fun. More when The Lil Dude can enjoy books more. Right now books are objects for tummy time and practice for mom being silly, especially this one. Gotta work on my barks!
Aprils
This would be a fun book to read aloud in various voices for the different dogs.
Erin
The only thing I dislike about this book is that it is a board book. I would love it to be a lap book or even a large picture book. The kiddos at story time LOVE to hear the different barks and it would be great if they had large illustrations to go along with them. They usually join in and help me with the barking and howling. Last week one little gal fell in love with the doggie that says yap yap! and she did that through the entire book. It was too funny. This is definitely a book for readers ...more
Shanna Gonzalez
It might seem that a board book whose words consist entirely of different kinds of dog barks (and one cat) would be boring. But Boynton, a master of rhythm and humor, captures ten different dog personalities through the sounds they make. Each page builds on the last, as dogs join the group one by one until the group reaches ten. Preschoolers will adore this book, asking for it again and again, and adults who love them will have to get their barking voices in shape. Because this book requires a l ...more
Monica!
I love this book -- be sure to not read it out loud in a public space, as your young charge will fully expect you to howl, yip, and bow wow wow wow woooow.
Angie
Synopsis: "Serious silliness for all ages. Artist Sandra Boynton is back and better than ever with completely redrawn versions of her multi-million selling board books. These whimsical and hilarious books, featuring

and are sure to educate and entertain children of all ages."

My Review: I received this book as part of a book swap and my partner was kind enough to send some books for Munchkin! I was very h
Leyla Atke
I love books about animals, especially cats and dogs, and this book was up to my mood. I loved the story and illustrations. Every child who loves doggies will be happy for this book!
Leyla Atke, author of
Charm: An Amazing Story of a Little Black Cat
Kessley Butler
"Doggies" is another book by Sandra Boynton that is the perfect book to be read aloud to any child, starting as young as one year old. Because the book repeats itself a lot it makes it very easy for kids to start reading along with, which helps them practice reading skills at a very young age.
Cara Byrne
This brief board book requires a lot of dog noises from the reader, but kept my eight month old entertained the entire way through - all the way to the little cat on the last page. Not my favorite of Boynton's works, but would be a great purchase for a little one with a dog in his or her life!
Sarah Sammis
Sometime in the last year of doing Thursday Thirteens, Robin at Around the Island recommended Doggies by Sandra Boynton to me. So last month when I spotted a copy at our local library I snatched it to read to my kids. Thank you for the recommendation; we loved it!

Doggies is a "counting and barking book" and very silly to read. Each dog is different and each one has a unique bark. The book is best when read out loud. In 14 pages you will be expected to bark enough to sound like an entire neighbor
Matthew
This book borders on the side of obnoxious. I can appreciate the different dog sounds you can make to your child but the entire book consists of it. The repetition is what really gets under my skin.
Ebookwormy
My son LOVES the book. It is called Doggies: A Counting and Barking Book. I'm so glad my friend, Jill Maida, recommended it to me after her son fell in love with it.

This book has been the centerpiece of wonderfully hilarious family times. There are ten different dog barks (as well as 10 different dogs) featured; my son has done almost all of them, but definately has his favorites. We've read this book over the phone to grandparents, as a family, with friends and just the two of us. My son will
Hilary
Count with the dogs, each of which barks differently. Small child loves it (hence 5 stars) but I do wonder if I'll love it as much if I have to keep reading it every night!
Racquel
Mar 15, 2013 Racquel rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Moms and young children
Shelves: kids
Virginia
I don't know what it is but kids universally LOVE this book. As it is, it is pretty simple but fun to read and do all the voices.
Brooke
This is an adorable book and would be a great read aloud for the classroom. The children would love to make the animal noises.
Erin Hendrian
Beatrice thinks this is the most hilarious book in the entire world and laughs uproariously through the entire thing.
Michael E.
This is the second book my granddaughter (4 months old) has asked me read to her. She loved the six quiet dogs!
Amy For
Fun but it does get slightly annoying when the kids make me go through it over and over and over... :)
Callie
Dec 01, 2014 Callie rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2014
As our doggie lucy just went back to live with grammy and grampy, this book was a hit with the littles.
Betsy
easy read, quick read, nothing special, nothing harmed, not my favorite Boynton book...very repetitive.
Dazyz03
Daisy ends up howling before I'm done reading this book to Logan. Makes me laugh every time.
Cynthia Varady
Our son cracks up at all the different dogs in this book. It's so much fun to read it to him.
Trey Nowell
Just read this to my 10 and a half week old son and he laughed like crazy at the sounds :)
Magila
A favorite of my son. Neat for early counting, using dogs and the sounds they make.
Jada Riutta
Doggies, Sandra Boynton. Is all about counting the number of dogs there are on the page and the sound that the dogs make. Every number just adds a new dog and a new sound to go with it. The kids will be attracted to this book because a lot of kids love dogs, love to make sounds so they will learn different sounds that different dogs make.
This book would remind me about just how there are unique ways to count and have the kids learn while having fun. This book will make kids attracted to it beca
Aliza
It's cute. Not as good as Boynton's other books. It's counting, which of course is great for kids, but the fact that there is no rhyming makes it not as fun.
Katy Bennett
This book is a silly counting book for little ones. The most fun is if you do different barks for all the kinds of dogs. Love it.
Shandie
Such an adorable book! My boys never get sick of hearing all of the different doggies and their barks. I've already ordered our very own version on amazon since we have to return the copy we have to the library tomorrow!
  • Quiet Loud
  • Peek-a-Who?
  • Curious George's Opposites
  • Counting Kisses: A Kiss & Read Book
  • Llama Llama Nighty-Night
  • Planes Board Book
  • That's Not My Dragon... (Usborne Touchy-Feely Books)
  • Alice in Wonderland: A BabyLit® Colors Primer
  • Tumble Bumble
  • Little Blue Truck
  • Toot Toot Beep Beep
  • Here Are My Hands
Sandra Keith Boynton is a popular American humorist, songwriter, children's author and illustrator. Boynton has written and illustrated more than forty books for both children and adults, as well as over four thousand greeting cards, and four music albums. Although she does not license her characters to be redrawn or adapted, she has herself designed—for various companies—calendars, wallpaper, bed ...more
More about Sandra Boynton...
Moo, Baa, La La La! The Going-To-Bed Book Barnyard Dance But Not the Hippopotamus Blue Hat, Green Hat (Boynton Board Books)