Doggies (Boynton Board Books)

Doggies (Boynton Board Books)

3.93 of 5 stars 3.93  ·  rating details  ·  2,741 ratings  ·  121 reviews
Serious silliness for all ages. Artist Sandra Boynton is back and better than ever with completely redrawn versions of her multi-million selling board books. These whimsical and hilarious books, featuring nontraditional texts and her famous animal characters, have been printed on thick board pages, and are sure to educate and entertain children of all ages.
Board Book, 14 pages
Published October 11th 1984 by Little Simon

To ask other readers questions about Doggies, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Doggies

Chris
My son loves this book. We usually read it before bedtime. After 5 minutes of barking (Arf Arf Arf, Aroof Aroof) and howling (Awoooooooooooooooh) and laughing at each other, Mommy comes in and tells us to settle down because it's time for bed. This usually results in crying (by me), the occasional tantrum (guilty again), and lots of pouting (you guessed it).
Erin
The only thing I dislike about this book is that it is a board book. I would love it to be a lap book or even a large picture book. The kiddos at story time LOVE to hear the different barks and it would be great if they had large illustrations to go along with them. They usually join in and help me with the barking and howling. Last week one little gal fell in love with the doggie that says yap yap! and she did that through the entire book. It was too funny. This is definitely a book for readers...more
Monica!
I love this book -- be sure to not read it out loud in a public space, as your young charge will fully expect you to howl, yip, and bow wow wow wow woooow.
Angie
Synopsis: "Serious silliness for all ages. Artist Sandra Boynton is back and better than ever with completely redrawn versions of her multi-million selling board books. These whimsical and hilarious books, featuring

and are sure to educate and entertain children of all ages."

My Review: I received this book as part of a book swap and my partner was kind enough to send some books for Munchkin! I was very h...more
Ashlee Draper Galyean
As children's books go, the ones that force you to make animal noises are probably my least favorite. But as children's authors go, Sandra Boynton is my most favorite. That's why the stars are right in the middle. Plus it's still funny, dog sounds or no dog sounds.
Sarah Sammis
Sometime in the last year of doing Thursday Thirteens, Robin at Around the Island recommended Doggies by Sandra Boynton to me. So last month when I spotted a copy at our local library I snatched it to read to my kids. Thank you for the recommendation; we loved it!

Doggies is a "counting and barking book" and very silly to read. Each dog is different and each one has a unique bark. The book is best when read out loud. In 14 pages you will be expected to bark enough to sound like an entire neighbor...more
Matthew
This book borders on the side of obnoxious. I can appreciate the different dog sounds you can make to your child but the entire book consists of it. The repetition is what really gets under my skin.
Ebookwormy
My son LOVES the book. It is called Doggies: A Counting and Barking Book. I'm so glad my friend, Jill Maida, recommended it to me after her son fell in love with it.

This book has been the centerpiece of wonderfully hilarious family times. There are ten different dog barks (as well as 10 different dogs) featured; my son has done almost all of them, but definately has his favorites. We've read this book over the phone to grandparents, as a family, with friends and just the two of us. My son will...more
Racquel
Mar 15, 2013 Racquel rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Moms and young children
Shelves: for-my-daughter
Erin Reilly-Sanders
Cute, but this really depends upon being read aloud for the full effect of the different dog noises, and is even better with two or more voices.
Virginia
I don't know what it is but kids universally LOVE this book. As it is, it is pretty simple but fun to read and do all the voices.
Brooke
This is an adorable book and would be a great read aloud for the classroom. The children would love to make the animal noises.
Betsy
easy read, quick read, nothing special, nothing harmed, not my favorite Boynton book...very repetitive.
Trey Nowell
Just read this to my 10 and a half week old son and he laughed like crazy at the sounds :)
T Crockett
This one is a lot of fun to read aloud. It's usually a hit with the 2-3 year old crowd.
Katy Bennett
This book is a silly counting book for little ones. The most fun is if you do different barks for all the kinds of dogs. Love it.
Connie
There are ten dogs in this book. (And one cat.) Each dog (and cat) has its own way of making lots of noise. Your mission, if you choose to accept it, is to make a public nuisance of yourself by BARKING AT THE TOP OF YOUR LUNGS! AROOFF! AROOFF! AROOFF!

That really just about sums it up.

If you think you can't manage it - don't buy the book. But if you think you *can*, you're bound to have great fun with it. I promise :)

Just... don't expect your kids to learn their numbers this way. They'll get too...more
Gretchen Smith
My son (11 months) LOVES this book!
Simone
Read with my grandbaby and had a blast!
Caleb
I am so over Sandra Boynton.
Val
Mar 29, 2014 Val marked it as buy-for-maggie
Nadine rec
Cheyenne
Lexi enjoyed barking like a dog. This is a cute dog book.
Update 8/14/14- Lexi loves this book and barks like a dog when she reads it.
Liam
My name is Liam and I am 10 months old, and guess what!?! Ten is the number of doggies in this book! There are drawings of all kinds of different doggies. The fun thing is that your parents have to make all the different doggie sounds when they read to you. My mommy is really good at the sound on the "three dogs" page, but my daddy is the best at reading the "five dogs" page. The only bad thing about this book is that it makes me wish I had a dog of my very own!
Johnita Morton
I never realized before this just how many different sounds we claim that dogs make.
Mary
Language development abounds with this book. The teacher could count each dog and then make the sounds as she points to each dog on the page. It is a great lap or small group book as well. All though, I think once the children on the teachers lap start making the noises, I think a gathering at the teacher might start. Ohhh...what a great way to transition or gather the children...just start making the noises on of the dogs!
Kelly Sommers
Doggies is a book that has a sequence of showing pictures of different dogs and then numerous different barking noises to go along with them. It has no other words in the book besides that. Therefore, it is a good book for children 1-2 years of age. The pictures are simple and perfect for young eyes to look at. Overall, I think this book did a good job for the age rang that it is aimed for.
Lisa Vegan
Sep 25, 2008 Lisa Vegan rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: toddlers and preschoolers, especially those who are fond of dogs
This is a hilarious book. It’s actually extremely tiring to read. All that barking! My favorite page is the six quiet dogs, not because of the longed for rest, but because it strikes me as so funny after all the cacophony. The book's subtitle is: A Counting and Barking Book. It is helpful for helping children learn to count, and it could easily become a favorite for kids who love dogs.
Nikki
Jan 17, 2014 Nikki rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: liam
3 dogs and the dogs on the moonlit night! Gets him every time.
Erin Saflarski
This silly little children's picture book was a delight to see and count the numerous dogs on each page. This is a great book for young children to practice their counting skills. Each page is filled with colors and words for the children to enjoy and count along with. This book is generally appropriate for ages 1-2.
Tortla
Cute illustrations, cute sounds, and a cute way to learn about counting. Not too predictable, either in presentation or in plot. I thoroughly enjoyed it and I'm pretty sure I'm 10x the target age.

Plus, the board book thing is sturdy as all get-out.
  • Peek-a-Who?
  • Ten Little Ladybugs
  • Wheels on the Bus
  • Hug
  • Daddy Kisses
  • Does a Kangaroo Have a Mother, Too?
Sandra Keith Boynton is a popular American humorist, songwriter, children's author and illustrator. Boynton has written and illustrated more than forty books for both children and adults, as well as over four thousand greeting cards, and four music albums. Although she does not license her characters to be redrawn or adapted, she has herself designed—for various companies—calendars, wallpaper, bed...more
More about Sandra Boynton...
Moo, Baa, La La La! The Going-To-Bed Book Barnyard Dance But Not the Hippopotamus Blue Hat, Green Hat (Boynton Board Books)