Start by marking “What's Wrong, Little Pookie?” as Want to Read:

4.18  ·  Rating Details ·  1,215 Ratings  ·  92 Reviews
Board book, 18 pages
Published August 14th 2007 by Robin Corey Books

To ask other readers questions about What's Wrong, Little Pookie?, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about What's Wrong, Little Pookie?

Tim
Oct 02, 2010 Tim rated it it was amazing
Gripping, cathartic, unsurpassed in its sublimity. With a refreshingly chestnut afterglow and a lugubrious sense of wet leaves stuck to your forehead on an April afternoon in a low-income Paris suburb.
midnightfaerie
Jun 27, 2013 midnightfaerie rated it it was ok
Shelves: childrens
A typical Boynton with nothing out of the ordinary besides the cute illustrations. It was fun to see the adorable ways in which little Pookie says no, and it was something that my preschoolers could relate to, although there wasn't enough to keep their attention. Not something we'll be reading again.
Tawnie
Feb 23, 2009 Tawnie rated it really liked it
Shelves: board-books
Pookie is upset but doesn’t want to tell his mom why. In an attempt to get him to open up, his mother starts to ask him a series of question. At first the questions are quite serious, but as they are not the root of Pookie’s problem, his mother starts to ask more and more ridiculous questions. The simple cartoon style pen and ink drawings with minimal color are very typical of Sandra Boyton’s illustrations. The layout works well for the story with two different fonts being used to represent Pook ...more
Mary
Mar 25, 2009 Mary rated it it was amazing
This is our current favorite nighttime book with two-year-old Jacob. He has the whole thing memorized and LOVES it when I let him answer the questions to Pookie: "Are you sick?" "No." "Do you need a cold drink?" "No thank you." "Are there five lazy frogs in your bed for a snooze?" "That's silly too!" It rhymes and has a terrific ending. I like most of Sandra Boynton's books, but this has to be my favorite.
Jess-i-ca ~Sometimes a Gif Witch~
I absolutely LOVE Sandra Boynton books! Little Pookie is a favorite! The books are so cute!

[image error]
Mallory
Sep 10, 2013 Mallory rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s
A cute addition to the little Pookie book series. Little Pookie is upset and mom doesn't know why. A great way to teach your little one about feelings.
Holly Letson
Nothing special.
Katherine
Jul 07, 2015 Katherine rated it it was amazing
My 23 month old daughter gives this book 5 stars plus.
Danielle
Mar 20, 2017 Danielle rated it it was amazing
I enjoyed this book because it keeps young readers in suspense! The book also prompts little ones to make their own guesses as to why Pookie is upset. The illustrations are bright and colorful. The main character of this book is Pookie and he is accompanied by his mother who wants to know what bothers Pookie.
I think kids would really like this book because it is silly and adorable. I would emphasize that sometimes we may not know why we are upset, and that's okay. As long as we have a shoulder t
Stacey Raymond
Dec 19, 2016 Stacey Raymond rated it really liked it
I have one child who is represented in this Little Pookie book... so I find it endearing.
Robert Beveridge
Aug 21, 2013 Robert Beveridge rated it really liked it
Sandra Boynton, What's Wrong, Little Pookie? (Robin Corey Books, 2007)

Boynton's first (of five, at least as of this writing) Pookie books features Pookie the pig and his long-suffering mother trying to figure out why the petulant little Pook is in a foul mood. Anyone who has ever had kids, or been in contact with them for a substantial amount of time, is going to empathize all too well, and Boynton's abilities with rhythm and rhyme are well-documented enough, I think, that I can simply mention t
Marcie
Jun 06, 2008 Marcie rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: anyone with toddlers
We checked this out from the library and Amelia has demanded it be read to her three times a day--at least-- every day since. Really, she'd prefer reading it more, but Mommy can only handle so much of Pookie each day. It's a cute story though and I think what Amelia enjoys so much about it is the interactive nature of the story--she loves saying, "NO" to all of the questions-- and that it ends with a laugh; she starts laughing as she's turning to the last page. She'll definitely be getting this ...more
Joanne
Feb 20, 2008 Joanne rated it it was amazing
Yay! Sandy Boynton has a new book for kids! This one, like the others, features her cartoons of animal characters and is very funny. Unlike the others, it has kind of a call and response, so when I'm reading it to our oldest, he can do the parts of the piglet in the book.

The New York Times recently ran an article about Boynton, if you're interested: The Power of Whimsy.""
Drew Graham
Nov 15, 2014 Drew Graham rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kids
Something is wrong with Little Pookie! His mother must figure out what it is ASAP.

I didn't realize until later that this is apparently part of a series of books about this Little Pookie character, and after reading this one I would be glad to eventually get my hands on the rest of them. It's a little different than some of the other SB books (though it's still all her), and yet again it's funny and a little touching and at the same time totally true. We're all a little like Little Pookie here so
Erika Greenberg
Jun 06, 2012 Erika Greenberg rated it it was amazing
My 11-month old son absolutely loves the Little Pookie books. I initially bought them because we've been calling him Pookie since he was born. I was delighted to find that the whimsical way the characters are written are both entertaining to my husband and me, and giggle-inducing to my little boy. This was the first board book my own little Pookie took interest in as anything more than a teething toy. He loves to look at the sweet pictures and turn the pages, and listen to us do the voices of Li ...more
Keegan
Sep 26, 2009 Keegan rated it liked it
I like emotion books. A friend of ours has a child who is sensitive to other children crying. My son is curious about it but not so aware of what it means. I would like to help him develop emotional intelligence. At this period, he's not interested in me reading even the entire thing (even though it really isn't long), but I feel like if I read the beginning then at least it exposes him to words like "upset" and helps him begin to understand that crying is connected to feelings and usually a cau ...more
Wendy
:( Pookie is sad. My empathetic toddler is sad for Pookie. Pookie's mom wants to figure out what's wrong and has a list of questions for Pookie that start from the serious and progress to the ridiculous. Older kids may get into the back and forth of the questions and answers, even voicing Pookie's part. Is it a spoiler to say it ends with a hug? That makes everyone happy, including my little one. :)
Connie
May 16, 2008 Connie rated it it was amazing
Shelves: board-books
Connie's review: This is, like all Boynton books, a quick, kinda silly story - in this case about a pig who is inexplicably upset. Very true to life, very short, perfect for little kids and/or quick storytimes. Not as good as the other books by this author, though.

Ana's review: Pookie is sad. His mother wants to find out why. The ending is sad. My favorite part is where there are tiny green elephants.

Evangeline's review: I yike it. The ending is silly.
Lisa
Jun 25, 2010 Lisa rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s-books
I read this book to our 7-month-old baby and although he obviously doesn't understand what the story is about, he still enjoys listening to it. I particularly enjoy this book because the text is written in rhyming, rhythmic way that it can be easily sung - adding a little flavour to the bedtime story routine.
Robin
Mar 30, 2008 Robin rated it it was amazing
This cute little book from Sandra Boynton features her delightful illustrations and has really grown on me, and my daughter, to become a favorite. I love to read it to my kids when they're feeling a little sick or blue, because it never fails to get them laughing. The text is simple and direct, which also makes it a great choice for helping my daughter learn to read.
Troy
Jun 09, 2014 Troy rated it it was amazing
My toddler loves this book. She quotes it all the time with me. I will ask her if she wants a drink and then she will do the litany of questions. Really enjoyable read that places my daughter as a reader too. I read the questions and she reads reads Pookie's answers. Okay maybe she memorized Pookie's answers but it is interactive.
Alice
Jul 30, 2013 Alice rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2-stars
This book had the chance to be cute until the last page...I get the what is wrong parents 20 questions is exhausting... and I assume the reason Pookie can't remember what is wrong is because his mom hugs him? I don't know..kind of let down for my first Sandra Boynton.... sigh! Thought it was a cute book until it made me try to figure out the ending. "I forgot" okay.... whatever
Dolly
Aug 28, 2011 Dolly rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: parents reading with their little ones
Shelves: childrens, 2011
We have loved reading Sandra Boynton's books. Although our girls are too old to read them anymore, I am not. This is a sweet story and with the simple narrative and adorable, inimitable illustrations, it's a perfect book to read with little ones.
Dorothea
Jan 28, 2011 Dorothea rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens, humorous
This is a book about a mom who's trying to figure out what's wrong with her child. The child won't answer. I really liked the story line because there are times you can't get your kid to tell you why they are upset. Now I just ask them: "What's wrong little pookie?" and it gives us something to laugh about.
Megan
A mother tries to guess why her child is crying. Her guesses become more and more outrageous and distract the child so much he can't remember why he's crying. This tactic reminded me of the way my mom might have tried to get us to stop crying when we were little. Sandra Boynton's illustrations are as engaging as always; I love the "very large hippo" wearing tiny tiny shoes!
Ben
May 17, 2012 Ben rated it it was amazing
Sandra Boynton is one of my favorite children's authors, and this is one of my favorite Boynton characters. The book contains the humorous and illogical ("tiny green elephants with wings oh-so-blue") and describes ever child through the character of "Pookie," unable to remember whatever small trifle it was that caused them to be upset.
Julie LS
Feb 26, 2008 Julie LS rated it really liked it
Ha! I had to add this one because we read it to Arden almost every night and I think it's MY favorite if not hers. Little Pookie is upset and mom is trying to figure out why. She asks him a ton of questions as to what is wrong and then asks silly questions until he finally forgets what is wrong. it's so cute and so true! :D
Kristen
Aug 30, 2012 Kristen rated it it was amazing
I adore this book. Robert loves it, too, when he's reminded of it. For a while, if he was having a crying jag about not getting his way, all I had to do was sit down and start reading this book out loud. I don't think he got all the jokes at first, but I would make silly faces, and eventually he caught on that these were very silly questions and start giggling.
Nikki
Mar 10, 2008 Nikki rated it really liked it
Shelves: kids, own-it
Me at the bookstore browsing: "What? A Sandra Boynton I not only do not own but have not seen?" My sister and I (shopping together) read it out loud and couldn't put it back on the shelf. It just had to come home with us.
Kristen
May 18, 2008 Kristen rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: moms of little ones (under 4)
Shelves: children
I can't help myself in rating this book. It's Hannah's and my favorite. It's so cute! Momma Pig goes through a list of what could be wrong with her Little Pookie only to have Pookie forget why he was upset.
  • That's Not My Dragon...
  • Bright Baby Colors
  • Curious George's Opposites
  • Ollie
  • Trucks Board Book
  • Here Are My Hands
  • Mirror Me!: A Mirror Book (Baby Einstein)
  • Daddy Kisses
  • Russell and the Lost Treasure
  • Dog
  • Duck & Goose, 1, 2, 3
  • Haiku Baby
Sandra Keith Boynton is a popular American humorist, songwriter, children's author and illustrator. Boynton has written and illustrated more than forty books for both children and adults, as well as over four thousand greeting cards, and four music albums. Although she does not license her characters to be redrawn or adapted, she has herself designed—for various companies—calendars, wallpaper, bed ...more
More about Sandra Boynton...