Start by marking “Chocolate: The Consuming Passion” as Want to Read:
Chocolate: The Consuming Passion

Chocolate: The Consuming Passion

4.18  ·  Rating Details  ·  375 Ratings  ·  47 Reviews
A New York Times bestseller with over a half-million copies in print, CHOCOLATE continues to delight chocoholics everywhere. Packed with Boynton's famous hippos, bunnies, pigs, and other animals, this gift-perfect book is a whimsical commentary on the individual's relationship to chocolate, its varieties, and its sources. From the several sorts of chocolate connoisseur-inc ...more
Published January 5th 1982 by Workman Publishing Company (first published January 1st 1982)

To ask other readers questions about Chocolate, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Chocolate

Hippos Go Berserk! by Sandra BoyntonBut Not the Hippopotamus by Sandra BoyntonBarnyard Dance by Sandra BoyntonOh My Oh My Oh Dinosaurs! by Sandra BoyntonSnuggle Puppy! by Sandra Boynton
Best of Sandra Boynton
6th out of 100 books — 3 voters
Charlie and the Chocolate Factory by Roald DahlThe Chocolate Touch by Patrick Skene CatlingSuperfudge by Judy BlumeThe Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie by Alan BradleyChocolate Fever by Robert Kimmel Smith
Candy Store
146th out of 186 books — 34 voters

More lists with this book...

Chip
Aug 17, 2009 Chip rated it really liked it
Lovely book - Boynton for grown-ups. I wonder if she would do a volume on single-malt scotch...
Dec 27, 2015 Jennifer rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015-reads
The ever-delightful Sandra Boynton offers up an adorably illustrated revision of her 1982 Chocolate: The Consuming Passion, which if you've ever longed to see chocoholic hippopotomi plant cacao trees is just the book for you.

Boynton's tongue-in-cheek tone gives the text a silly, breezy air that matches her trademark illustrations, but it can occasionally make it difficult to discern what's meant to be a fact and what's pure tomfoolery. I'd actually been hoping for something a little more informa
Stacey
Oct 25, 2015 Stacey rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love Sandra Boynton, I think her children's books with illustrations are witty and fun. I didn't love this book though. It was good, don't get me wrong. And I think her following will probably boost sales for it. But I didn't think it was that great.
I enjoyed all the illustrations as I always do.
I will probably try some of the chocolate recipes that were in the last chapter.
Maria
Apr 17, 2016 Maria rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This delightful book traces the consumption of chocolate in all its forms and ends with some funny recipes. I love Boynton and I was looking for a copy of this book for years, so I was thrilled that it was republished. I immediately bought myself and my mom a copy.
Marc
Lighthearted overview of chocolate. Wonderful sense of humor. If you like the two pages below, you'll like this book.

Matt
Dec 28, 2015 Matt rated it really liked it
Such a sweet little book!
Covers about everything you want to know about your favorite sin. Many nice illustrations starring chocolate loving Hippos.

De gustibus non est disputandum!

______________________________
Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License.
Joseph R.
Apr 18, 2016 Joseph R. rated it really liked it
In this cute, quick book Sandra Boyton covers a bit of history, a bit of amateur psychology, a bit of culinary styles, and a couple of recipes all about chocolate. The book is very light hearted and has plenty of illustrations that are classic Boynton (like her classics Moo, Baa, La La La and The Going to Bed Book). The book debunks myths about chocolate and provides both shopping advice (grocery stores are not as fun or satisfying as a gourmet shop) and cooking tips (including advice on repurpo ...more
Sara
Aug 14, 2012 Sara rated it liked it
Had this book for years. Unfortunately, I can't remember anything about this book but I believe I gave it to chocaholic I worked with for years. She ate chocolate EVERY day and I thought this would be perfect for her.
The Bookloft
Bookseller: Zazu
Title: Chocolate

Do yourself a favor and ick this book up to read a few pages (see if you can even stop at just a few!)

I wasn't sure what to expect from this beloved children's author writing what looks like a humor book on chocolate- which doesn't sound terribly original an idea does it?

Well this book is AWESOME! LAUGH OUT LOUD FUNNY, the text and illustrations work together to perfection.

AND this book actually does contain an insane amount of factual info on, well, chocolate!

The
Zazu
Nov 01, 2015 Zazu rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Do yourself a favor and pick this book up to read a few pages (see if you can even stop at just a few!)

The PERFECT gift for ALL chocolate
Carin
Jan 16, 2010 Carin rated it it was amazing
This book combined my three most favorite things: books, chocolate, and sarcasm.

I like chocolate. In the way, as Sandra Boynton so elegantly says, that I like breathing. I probably have more than 10 kinds of chocolate in my house currently.

I believe this was Ms. Boynton’s first book. It is not necessarily geared towards kids at all, although I was about 10 when it was given to me. But I was very familiar with her from her greeting cards. Even though I hadn’t even opened the book in 15-25 years,
Kathy England
Oct 02, 2015 Kathy England rated it it was amazing
Since my grandchildren have been born, Sandra Boynton has become one of my favorite children's authors. My current favorites are "Barnyard Dance" and "But Not the Hippopotamus". But she has also written a book for adults. Apparently this is an update of an earlier version. I love her somewhat off the wall humor and, of course, her wonderful illustrations. I also love chocolate.
Cj Sime
Nov 01, 2014 Cj Sime rated it really liked it
To gift!

I adored Boynton's children's books when my daughter was a toddler, and still have most of them memorized. I loved this book and how Boynton effortlessly tackled a very heated subject. Chocolate fanatics are a passionate bunch and this book manages to appease and entertain the lot of us.
Tracey
I still the original version of this, which Mom gave me when it was published in the early 80s. I asked her for this new edition for Christmas. It's still utterly delightful. I'm glad she didn't need to update the chocolate-chip cookie recipe ("It is customary at this point to sample the batter.").
W. Tinkanesh
Apr 26, 2014 W. Tinkanesh rated it really liked it
I am a chocolate addict. I read this book during the 111 days I didn't eat chocolate. The only way I managed not to eat chocolate during these 111 days was by talking about chocolate every day, and reading/learning about chocolate. Sandra Boynton's is one of the books I read at the time.
Michelle
Jan 24, 2016 Michelle rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Love love love everything Boynton! I'll read just about anything that includes her cute little critters. This is a really fast read, but I made myself slow down because I was missing the funnies in the text.
Mary Catelli
Nov 01, 2013 Mary Catelli rated it it was amazing
Shelves: humor
Chocolate: The Consuming Passion written, illustrated and overresearched by Sandra Boynton.

A comic look at chocolate.

Bits of history, how it's grown, how various forms are made are interspaced with the types of chocolate and of the personalities who like various types. With recipes, advice about how to buy it and store it, and dispelling myths. The nutritional chart is immensely funny, once you notice what size portions are being compared.

There's also a page with a truly astounding array of five
Sherri Anderson
Jan 06, 2016 Sherri Anderson rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a delightful book. I am a big Boynton fan! She truly understands us chocolate gourmoos.
Heather O'Leary
Oct 23, 2015 Heather O'Leary rated it really liked it
A Sandra Boynton book for grownups about chocolate? What's not to like?
Kirsten Irish
Oct 19, 2015 Kirsten Irish rated it really liked it
This book was fantastically adorable. Four stars because I just wanted MORE :D
Pamela Sue
Mar 05, 2016 Pamela Sue rated it liked it
Cute little book. A little humor and a few facts.
Elaine
Mar 01, 2014 Elaine rated it it was amazing
Very entertaining and informative.
Kristin
False
Elizabeth Wallace
Jun 07, 2008 Elizabeth Wallace rated it it was amazing
Shelves: humor
My Mom bought this for my sister and I while on a long drive to North Carolina one year. I think we nearly drove her buggy by reading it aloud and laughing hysterically. The copy I have is falling apart from so many rereadings. It gets better every time I look at it. Definitely a must for the chocolate lover. Especially for, as Boynton says "the select millions who like chocolate in all its infinite variety, using 'like' as in 'I like to breathe.'"
Sara Avrams
May 12, 2016 Sara Avrams rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
If you like Sandra Boynton and you Love Chocolate, you will ABSOLUTELY LOVE this book.
Emily
Apr 09, 2012 Emily rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-in-2012
While at B&N the other day buying a Sandra Boynton board book, the clerk told me about this book. She said - did you know that Sandra Boynton wrote a book for adults about chocolate? I did not know that, although, now that I've read it my life has been greatly enriched! Full of Boynton's wonderful drawings, this book is hilarious and made me feel entirely justified in indulging in some chocolate when I got home.
Wendy Darling
May 16, 2011 Wendy Darling rated it really liked it
I keep extra copies of this book on hand to give to friends, usually accompanied by something sweet! Filled with the humorous illustrations and writing that is Sandra Boynton's trademark, it's a funny little book that's great for anyone who loves CHOCOLATE.
Niki Costantini
May 12, 2014 Niki Costantini rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: saggio, cucina, umorismo
"Il cioccolato non è un privilegio: ma un diritto. Come tale deve essere fornito, e quindi essere disponibile, come un vero e proprio servizio in ogni Stato, in ogni comunità, in ogni isolato".
(Sandra Boynton, "La passione divorante")
  • Gastroanomalies: Questionable Culinary Creations from the Golden Age of American Cookery
  • A Wish for Wings That Work: An Opus Christmas Story
  • The Doonesbury Chronicles
  • Happiness is a Warm Puppy
  • Build a Better Life by Stealing Office Supplies: Dogbert's Big Book of Business
  • My Crowd
  • The Complete Cartoons of The New Yorker
  • Don't Worry, He Won't Get Far on Foot
  • Definitive Biography of P.D.Q. Bach
  • Cat
Sandra Keith Boynton is a popular American humorist, songwriter, children's author and illustrator. Boynton has written and illustrated more than forty books for both children and adults, as well as over four thousand greeting cards, and four music albums. Although she does not license her characters to be redrawn or adapted, she has herself designed—for various companies—calendars, wallpaper, bed ...more
More about Sandra Boynton...

“As with most fine things, chocolate has its season. There is a simple memory aid that you can use to determine whether it is the correct time to order chocolate dishes: any month whose name contains the letter A, E, or U is the proper time for chocolate.” 103 likes