Start by marking “Belly Button Book” as Want to Read:
Belly Button Book

Belly Button Book

4.2  ·  Rating Details ·  5,765 Ratings  ·  204 Reviews
Emboldened by the enthusiastic response to Belly Button (Round); a song from her Grammy-nominated book/CD, Philadelphia Chickens; Sandra Boynton further contemplates this mesmerizing subject.

Featuring a beachful of bare-bellied hippos; including one tiny baby who can only say "Bee Bo" the Belly Button Book is the latest quirky addition to the phenomenally successful Boyn
Board Book, 24 pages
Published April 18th 2005 by Workman Publishing Company

To ask other readers questions about Belly Button Book, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Belly Button Book

Where the Wild Things Are by Maurice SendakThe Very Hungry Caterpillar by Eric CarleThe Giving Tree by Shel SilversteinGreen Eggs and Ham by Dr. SeussGoodnight Moon by Margaret Wise Brown
Best Children's Books
391st out of 3,719 books — 5,301 voters
The Very Hungry Caterpillar by Eric CarleA Pet Banana by Othen Donald Dale CummingsBrown Bear, Brown Bear, What Do You See? by Bill Martin Jr.Dear Zoo by Rod CampbellThe Monster at the End of this Book by Jon Stone
Best Toddler Books
44th out of 410 books — 373 voters

More lists with this book...

midnightfaerie
Jun 27, 2013 midnightfaerie rated it liked it
Shelves: childrens
One of our favorite Sandra Boynton book, my children spent a good portion of the time looking at and pointing to their belly buttons. A cute story and something we all could enjoy.
Elisabeth
Aug 26, 2011 Elisabeth rated it it was amazing
I've read lots of Boynton - she's a big hit with both boys. My three year old Max has taken a new interest in hippos, and seems to like hers the best. We've read this one so many times, I think I might have it memorized. However, almost with each reading I find something new, or something else that is funny. And, for the first time I made the connection that she really reminds me of Mo Willems. I think because her books are largely in board book format and I read them to my boys when they were ...more
Argott
Feb 10, 2009 Argott rated it it was amazing
These Boynton hippos are heroic. They really know who they are. And they have the right attitude about life. If we could elect politicians that were more like these hippos . . . well, to be honest it would probably still be one hell of a mess -- but I don't think I would mind as much. I'd definitely vote for a Boynton hippo. But take that with a grain of salt, as I voted for Governor Moonbeam in the 1992 Democratic primary. And I'd certainly vote for him again; Jerry Brown has the kind of ...more
SaraLaLa
Jul 07, 2016 SaraLaLa rated it liked it
Shelves: childrens
Although I like belly buttons, this book feels like less of a story than Sandra Boynton's other books. It sounded more like an explanation of what belly buttons are, and that's okay, but less interesting than, say, Birthday Monsters!
Michelle
Feb 17, 2015 Michelle rated it it was amazing
Shelves: slib-520
Belly Button Book!

Boynton, Sandra.
New York : Workman Pub., 2011.
Language : English

Baby/board book

This whimsical and sweetly illustrated book is written in rhyme about Hippos and their belly buttons. This book is great for children ages 2 to 5 years old. It is a silly fun little book. I would recommend this book to children that have younger siblings at home so they could read to them.
Ame
"BEE-BO!"

Ugh, this book is so cute. It's fun to read, and it mildly promotes body positivity. I felt it ended way too abruptly though. Give me MORE bellybutton pride!
Shana
Oct 03, 2016 Shana rated it it was amazing
Shelves: lily-s-books
Book book! Wish we'd had this one while my daughter was going through her obsession with her belly bullet around 15 months. She's 2 now but still thinks this book is cute.
Amy Forrester
May 08, 2012 Amy Forrester rated it it was amazing
“Bee bo!” If you haven't read this book, you might not know that’s the tiny hippo way of saying, “Belly Button!” Hippos are oh-so-proud of their belly buttons and every summer they show them off a the Belly Button Beach. They nibble grapes and take naps and sing odes to their belly buttons by the light of the moon. Summer is the time for belly button songs because when it gets cold belly buttons hide. “Bye-bye, Bee Bo!”

The rhyming text of this humorous board book trips off the tongue like a baby
Grace Willits
Nov 24, 2013 Grace Willits rated it it was amazing
We all have a "bee-Bo", why not write a book about it? "Belly Button Book!" is a silly story about a momma hippo and a baby hippo. Momma hippo is telling the reader about how baby hippo calls her belly button "bee-Bo"- how cute! And where do bee-bos come out to play? The Belly Button Beach of course. I love how Sandra Boynton takes a topic that might confuse children, the exposure seen at the beach in comparison to normal clothes, and makes it very understandable. Bathing suits are just a way of ...more
Sarah (Books Before Bandaids)
Jul 18, 2016 Sarah (Books Before Bandaids) rated it really liked it
Shelves: board-books
Sandra Boynton’s Belly Button Book has adorable hippos, hysterical pictures, and lots of fun to read rhymes about belly buttons, what more could you ask for in a book. As with tiny guys, my son is very fond of pointing out his and other people’s belly buttons, so he loves the Belly Button Book. He is incredibly fond of the belly button song, and has been known to start singing it at random and inappropriate moments. This is an entire book about that funny body part with bright, colorful ...more
Heather
Apr 24, 2009 Heather rated it really liked it
Sandra Boynton has a gift for rhythm, and this particular book shows off her talent for outrageous humor as well. You get inside her head and her world, where the hippopotamus culture is fascinated with their own belly buttons. You spend time on Belly Button Beach, where "tons of hippos stand around in bathing suits too little because they hope you will admire the button on their middle." Really, doesn't the poetry and humor of that line make you want to read the rest? It's good. Very good.
Jenni
May 09, 2008 Jenni rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Everybody's kids and those who are still kids at heart
I bought this book for my daughter when she was a baby. Now she's just turned 3 and we still read it to her We have made it a family favorite. It's quite possibly THE BEST children's book around. (A non-compete clause with the other Boynton Board books that Sandra writes!!!)
Russell
Jun 12, 2014 Russell rated it really liked it
I'll never be able to look at a balloon in quite the same way again. And I will forever remember why hippopotamuses are mournful during the winter.

Bee bo, indeed.
Kristin
Jul 08, 2014 Kristin rated it it was amazing
Hen is obsessed with his belly button right now so we bought this for him and he gets a kick out of it each time we read it. So glad we added it to his library.
Megan
Nov 04, 2014 Megan rated it it was amazing
Will be buying for the grandkids, when I have some. Loved it!
Karl
Apr 16, 2008 Karl rated it it was amazing
This had my kids saying "Bee bo" for weeks.
Becky
Nov 11, 2015 Becky rated it really liked it
Love this book! This author is so clever with her rhymes and her books are so silly and fun!
Molly & Mommy
Jun 29, 2014 Molly & Mommy rated it it was amazing
Shelves: hippos, body-image
Perfect. We should all be so proud of our belly bees.
Ashlee Draper Galyean
May 11, 2015 Ashlee Draper Galyean rated it it was amazing
By far my favorite Boynton book. I even have my own rendition of the belly button song.
Kat
Oct 01, 2016 Kat rated it it was amazing
Bee bo!
Asho
This isn't my favorite Boynton book, but I think maybe it's because I didn't discover it until my son was already too old. He picked it out at the library (drawn to the hippo on the cover), but the text is a bit young for him (he's 3). He did like saying "Bee bo!" and got a kick out of me poking his belly button as we read, but in general I felt like it was just a bit too baby-ish for us at this point.
I might try it again when my daughter (currently 3 months old) gets a bit bigger, because she m
Allison
This is a wonderful book about your belly button, or as the baby hippo says "bee-bo". The illustrations show some hippos showing off their belly buttons and its words are based on the belly button song the author wrote. Kids will enjoy singing and following along.

This book is appropriate for ages 1+

I encourage reading this book with kids, it will help them understand a little more about their bodies, to learn to love them with all its silly parts.
Sarah Ashburn
May 30, 2015 Sarah Ashburn rated it liked it
Shelves: language-play
I think that this book was a very cute book for younger kids. I think that at a young age hearing books like this read out loud is a great way for kids to hear the sounds that are being produced by others. This has a lot of words that sound similar but have a little bit of a different sound which can show children that the slightest change in sounds can make a word mean something completely different.
Amanda Kolar
Boynton (2005) talks about how hippos like their belly button. When it is warm and hot outside the hippos go to the beach and show off their belly buttons so that we will look at them since they are so cute and round and that balloons are round and have belly buttons just like the hippos do. I can use this book in my classroom to teach where our belly buttons are at and that everyone has a belly button.
Rachel
Apr 05, 2012 Rachel rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A cute book, with the author's trademark adorable illustrations, about hippo belly buttons (called bee-bo by the very small). It documents how much the hippos love their belly buttons, so much in fact that they like to take them to the beach and sing songs about them. This oversized lap board book was perfect for reading aloud to my 8 month old at the library, which we did this week on my day off. Recommended for ages 8 months - 3 years, 3 stars.
Drew Graham
Jun 16, 2015 Drew Graham rated it really liked it
Shelves: kids
There's a group of beach-going hippopotami who are quite obsessed with their belly buttons.

In the canon of Sandra Boynton's silly board books, this stands out as one of the silliest, which isn't necessarily a negative. I like how the main kiddo seems even younger than a toddler, and there was some real humor here, even if the premise is REAlly narrowly-defined. But after all, everyone has a bee bo! Why not celebrate them? (I just wish SB's weren't so decidedly, pinkly pronounced.)
george
Sep 19, 2008 george rated it liked it
Belly buttons and hippos! Cute, cute book for very young children about--what else?--belly buttons! The hippos love, I mean LOVE, their belly buttons, They wear too-small bathing suits at the belly button beach to show off. And they sing a belly button song. Adorable and fun. My 23-month-old niece loves it.
Jeanne
Jun 04, 2008 Jeanne rated it it was amazing
This was one of nephew Kien's favorite books. The music that goes with it, found on the "Blue Moo" CD is great. Kien and I love to dance and sing to it. The song sung by the Heath sisters is really good and the lyrics are sublime. "Belly belly button you're o so fine, belly, belly button, I'm so happy your mine."
Windy
May 17, 2008 Windy rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: belly button lovers!
Shelves: for-the-kiddoes
This book is especially suited to my youngest daughter - who has been obsessed with her belly button since she was 9 months old. She is five now and still keeps a finger on her belly button all the time. The funny thing about this book is that hippos call their belly buttons "bee boos" - the exact same thing my daughter calls her belly button!
Chris
Jun 27, 2008 Chris rated it it was amazing
Shelves: stig-books
I have always loved the Boynton hippos, and this book in particular was the first book I bought for my son. We both love it. He knows what his be-bo is and lifts his shirt to show me. I love reading this one cause it's about hippo belly buttons and a balloon (boon). It rhymes, it's fun, it's cute and very cool. My favorite.
  • Quiet Loud
  • Gossie and Gertie
  • That's Not My Dinosaur (Usborne Touchy-Feely Books)
  • I Love You Through and Through
  • Black on White
  • Llama Llama Wakey-Wake
  • Daddy Hugs
  • The Pigeon Loves Things That Go!
  • Toes, Ears, & Nose! (A Lift-the-Flap Book)
  • Bubbles, Bubbles (Sesame Beginnings)
  • How Do Dinosaurs Count to Ten?
  • My Very First Book of Shapes
  • Tails
  • Peek-a-Who?
Sandra Keith Boynton is a popular American humorist, songwriter, children's author and illustrator. Boynton has written and illustrated more than forty books for both children and adults, as well as over four thousand greeting cards, and four music albums. Although she does not license her characters to be redrawn or adapted, she has herself designed—for various companies—calendars, wallpaper, ...more
More about Sandra Boynton...