Belly Button Book

Belly Button Book

4.19 of 5 stars 4.19  ·  rating details  ·  3,441 ratings  ·  140 reviews
Emboldened by the enthusiastic response to Belly Button (Round); a song from her Grammy-nominated book/CD, Philadelphia Chickens; Sandra Boynton further contemplates this mesmerizing subject.

Featuring a beachful of bare-bellied hippos; including one tiny baby who can only say "Bee Bo" the Belly Button Book is the latest quirky addition to the phenomenally successful Boyn...more
Board Book, 24 pages
Published April 18th 2005 by Workman Publishing Company

Where the Wild Things Are by Maurice SendakThe Very Hungry Caterpillar by Eric CarleThe Giving Tree by Shel SilversteinGreen Eggs and Ham by Dr. SeussGoodnight Moon by Margaret Wise Brown
Best Children's Books
401st out of 2,786 books — 4,083 voters
The Very Hungry Caterpillar by Eric CarleBrown Bear, Brown Bear, What Do You See? by Bill Martin Jr.The Monster at the End of this Book by Jon StoneDear Zoo by Rod CampbellWe're Going on a Bear Hunt by Michael Rosen
Best Toddler Books
27th out of 235 books — 165 voters

More lists with this book...

midnightfaerie
One of our favorite Sandra Boynton book, my children spent a good portion of the time looking at and pointing to their belly buttons. A cute story and something we all could enjoy.
Elisabeth
I've read lots of Boynton - she's a big hit with both boys. My three year old Max has taken a new interest in hippos, and seems to like hers the best. We've read this one so many times, I think I might have it memorized. However, almost with each reading I find something new, or something else that is funny. And, for the first time I made the connection that she really reminds me of Mo Willems. I think because her books are largely in board book format and I read them to my boys when they were b...more
Argott
These Boynton hippos are heroic. They really know who they are. And they have the right attitude about life. If we could elect politicians that were more like these hippos . . . well, to be honest it would probably still be one hell of a mess -- but I don't think I would mind as much. I'd definitely vote for a Boynton hippo. But take that with a grain of salt, as I voted for Governor Moonbeam in the 1992 Democratic primary. And I'd certainly vote for him again; Jerry Brown has the kind of integr...more
Jenni
May 09, 2008 Jenni rated it 5 of 5 stars Recommends it for: Everybody's kids and those who are still kids at heart
I bought this book for my daughter when she was a baby. Now she's just turned 3 and we still read it to her We have made it a family favorite. It's quite possibly THE BEST children's book around. (A non-compete clause with the other Boynton Board books that Sandra writes!!!)
Karl
This had my kids saying "Bee bo" for weeks.
Amy Musser
“Bee bo!” If you haven't read this book, you might not know that’s the tiny hippo way of saying, “Belly Button!” Hippos are oh-so-proud of their belly buttons and every summer they show them off a the Belly Button Beach. They nibble grapes and take naps and sing odes to their belly buttons by the light of the moon. Summer is the time for belly button songs because when it gets cold belly buttons hide. “Bye-bye, Bee Bo!”

The rhyming text of this humorous board book trips off the tongue like a baby...more
Grace Willits
We all have a "bee-Bo", why not write a book about it? "Belly Button Book!" is a silly story about a momma hippo and a baby hippo. Momma hippo is telling the reader about how baby hippo calls her belly button "bee-Bo"- how cute! And where do bee-bos come out to play? The Belly Button Beach of course. I love how Sandra Boynton takes a topic that might confuse children, the exposure seen at the beach in comparison to normal clothes, and makes it very understandable. Bathing suits are just a way of...more
Heidi
I think it is safe to say this is my least favorite Boynton. It's not bad. The little hippo saying "Bee Bo" is adorable. But it just didn't get as many laughs from me, and there wasn't much of a learning concept either. I was also looking for something to use in Movement storytime, and this didn't say "Pick Me!"
Dee
I don't know, I really didn't like this book. Maybe it was because I was reading it to my daughter in the middle of winter with her pajamas being footies that don't let you touch the belly button? And "Bee Bo" isn't really in our vocabulary.
Beth
This is my daughter's new favorite book. She keeps asking for "bee bo!"
Thersia
Love this book checked it many times from AMPL.
Heather
Sandra Boynton has a gift for rhythm, and this particular book shows off her talent for outrageous humor as well. You get inside her head and her world, where the hippopotamus culture is fascinated with their own belly buttons. You spend time on Belly Button Beach, where "tons of hippos stand around in bathing suits too little because they hope you will admire the button on their middle." Really, doesn't the poetry and humor of that line make you want to read the rest? It's good. Very good.
Allison
This is a wonderful book about your belly button, or as the baby hippo says "bee-bo". The illustrations show some hippos showing off their belly buttons and its words are based on the belly button song the author wrote. Kids will enjoy singing and following along.

This book is appropriate for ages 1+

I encourage reading this book with kids, it will help them understand a little more about their bodies, to learn to love them with all its silly parts.
Rachel
A cute book, with the author's trademark adorable illustrations, about hippo belly buttons (called bee-bo by the very small). It documents how much the hippos love their belly buttons, so much in fact that they like to take them to the beach and sing songs about them. This oversized lap board book was perfect for reading aloud to my 8 month old at the library, which we did this week on my day off. Recommended for ages 8 months - 3 years, 3 stars.
Amanda Kolar
Boynton (2005) talks about how hippos like their belly button. When it is warm and hot outside the hippos go to the beach and show off their belly buttons so that we will look at them since they are so cute and round and that balloons are round and have belly buttons just like the hippos do. I can use this book in my classroom to teach where our belly buttons are at and that everyone has a belly button.
Ruth
Aug 10, 2011 Ruth rated it 4 of 5 stars Recommends it for: Any one with little children
Shelves: childrens
My 2, 4, and 6 think this is a very funny book. My favorite part is: "BELLY BUTTON BEACH - Where Tons of Hippos Stand Around In Bathing Suits Too Little Because They Hope You Will Admire The Button On Their Middle". I crack up every time I read this part. I think of all the people at the beach in Hawaii. Many of them fit this sign. :) VERY cute! I also love the pictures.
Lindsey
Totally adorable. While belly buttons may seem like a weird subject for a book, anyone with a toddler understands right away why this book is a hit. As always, Boynton's rhyming scheme and illustrations are perfect for the subject. The hippos who are waiting around to have their belly buttons noticed are just too funny.

A hit for toddlers and parents!
Windy
May 17, 2008 Windy rated it 5 of 5 stars Recommends it for: belly button lovers!
Shelves: for-the-kiddoes
This book is especially suited to my youngest daughter - who has been obsessed with her belly button since she was 9 months old. She is five now and still keeps a finger on her belly button all the time. The funny thing about this book is that hippos call their belly buttons "bee boos" - the exact same thing my daughter calls her belly button!
Chris
I have always loved the Boynton hippos, and this book in particular was the first book I bought for my son. We both love it. He knows what his be-bo is and lifts his shirt to show me. I love reading this one cause it's about hippo belly buttons and a balloon (boon). It rhymes, it's fun, it's cute and very cool. My favorite.
Jeanne
This was one of nephew Kien's favorite books. The music that goes with it, found on the "Blue Moo" CD is great. Kien and I love to dance and sing to it. The song sung by the Heath sisters is really good and the lyrics are sublime. "Belly belly button you're o so fine, belly, belly button, I'm so happy your mine."
S
this book is TOO CUTE! It was a gift for my friend's child, but I read it, made my husband read it, and then my sister too. It's clearly meant to entertain adults ...see "navel academy". Her illustrations are fun and show her talent since it's somewhat unusual to have an author illustrate her own book.
george
Belly buttons and hippos! Cute, cute book for very young children about--what else?--belly buttons! The hippos love, I mean LOVE, their belly buttons, They wear too-small bathing suits at the belly button beach to show off. And they sing a belly button song. Adorable and fun. My 23-month-old niece loves it.
Nicole
This book is illustrated beautifully. The pictures clearly depict the words, although I would not use this book in a classroom. The way that the language is used is under any school aged child. This is however a great book for toddlers learning where different parts of the body are located.
Crystal Allen
Mar 03, 2008 Crystal Allen rated it 5 of 5 stars Recommends it for: All parents of little girls
My favorite Boynton book. So cute. The little hippo that can't say belly button so says "bee bo" instead gets me every single time.

I just went and bought a bunch of the books on my wish list for when we have kids. This was one of them. Can't wait to share this with our upcoming baby!
Connie
Just a cute, silly, kinda pointless book about hippos and their love of their belly buttons.

My sister and I have taken to quoting this book at random intervals throughout the day. It grows on you. It's not as catchy as most of Boynton's work, but it definitely has its own charm.
jacky
I have high expectations for Boynton because I really love some of her books. This one was fun, but just not all the way there for me. I just don't find belly buttons that funny. I did like the baby hippo saying bee bo. And I liked the ending with the snow and winter jackets.
Skylar Burris
This is very silly and unusual. Cute and enjoyable. I got it for my 18 month old who is presently obsessed with belly buttons, but I think I enjoy it more.

Edit: I changed this to 5 stars, as it has well stood the test of time, and my now 2.5 year old still loves it.
June
Oct 01, 2013 June rated it 3 of 5 stars Recommends it for: Boynton fans or belly button requests
I had a small group, so I did another board book for lap time and one toddler was very taken with this and kept repeating "Bee Bo!" The balloon was a hit too. So maybe a three and a half. However, I can't carry a tune so I dislike having books that end with a song.
Ellias
This book is super funny. Hippos and their belly buttons! And it rhymes! And one hippo is wearing a shirt that says "Navel Academy." I want Mommy to buy me the Philadelphia Chickens book and cd so I can hear the song they sing at Belly Button Beach.
Madison
You can tell that I am a parent just by the last couple of books I have read. But I love to tell parents about books I love. This book is cute, has fun rhymes, and jokes. I would give it five stars but I believe the ending falls a bit flat.
  • Quiet Loud
  • Gossie
  • Toes, Ears, & Nose!: A Lift-the-Flap Book
  • The Pigeon Loves Things That Go!
  • I Love You Through and Through
  • Peek-a-Who?
  • Wheels on the Bus
  • Tails
  • How Do Dinosaurs Count to Ten?
  • My Very First Book Of Shapes
  • Llama Llama Nighty-Night
  • That's Not My Dinosaur
  • Where Is Baby's Belly Button?
  • First 100 Words
  • On the Night You Were Born
  • Ten Little Ladybugs
  • I Love You, Stinky Face
  • Black on White
Sandra Keith Boynton is a popular American humorist, songwriter, children's author and illustrator. Boynton has written and illustrated more than forty books for both children and adults, as well as over four thousand greeting cards, and four music albums. Although she does not license her characters to be redrawn or adapted, she has herself designed—for various companies—calendars, wallpaper, bed...more
More about Sandra Boynton...
Moo, Baa, La La La! The Going to Bed Book Barnyard Dance But Not the Hippopotamus Blue Hat, Green Hat (Boynton Board Books)