Start by marking “Belly Button Book” as Want to Read:
Belly Button Book

Belly Button Book

4.19 of 5 stars 4.19  ·  rating details  ·  5,088 ratings  ·  175 reviews
Emboldened by the enthusiastic response to Belly Button (Round); a song from her Grammy-nominated book/CD, Philadelphia Chickens; Sandra Boynton further contemplates this mesmerizing subject.

Featuring a beachful of bare-bellied hippos; including one tiny baby who can only say "Bee Bo" the Belly Button Book is the latest quirky addition to the phenomenally successful Boyn
Board Book, 24 pages
Published April 18th 2005 by Workman Publishing Company

To ask other readers questions about Belly Button Book, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Belly Button Book

Where the Wild Things Are by Maurice SendakThe Very Hungry Caterpillar by Eric CarleThe Giving Tree by Shel SilversteinGreen Eggs and Ham by Dr. SeussGoodnight Moon by Margaret Wise Brown
Best Children's Books
400th out of 3,457 books — 5,150 voters
The Very Hungry Caterpillar by Eric CarleA Pet Banana by Othen Donald Dale CummingsBrown Bear, Brown Bear, What Do You See? by Bill Martin Jr.An Elephant Is On My House by O.D.D. CummingsDear Zoo by Rod Campbell
Best Toddler Books
40th out of 375 books — 348 voters

More lists with this book...

One of our favorite Sandra Boynton book, my children spent a good portion of the time looking at and pointing to their belly buttons. A cute story and something we all could enjoy.
I've read lots of Boynton - she's a big hit with both boys. My three year old Max has taken a new interest in hippos, and seems to like hers the best. We've read this one so many times, I think I might have it memorized. However, almost with each reading I find something new, or something else that is funny. And, for the first time I made the connection that she really reminds me of Mo Willems. I think because her books are largely in board book format and I read them to my boys when they were b ...more
These Boynton hippos are heroic. They really know who they are. And they have the right attitude about life. If we could elect politicians that were more like these hippos . . . well, to be honest it would probably still be one hell of a mess -- but I don't think I would mind as much. I'd definitely vote for a Boynton hippo. But take that with a grain of salt, as I voted for Governor Moonbeam in the 1992 Democratic primary. And I'd certainly vote for him again; Jerry Brown has the kind of integr ...more

Ugh, this book is so cute. It's fun to read, and it mildly promotes body positivity. I felt it ended way too abruptly though. Give me MORE bellybutton pride!
Will be buying for the grandkids, when I have some. Loved it!
Belly Button Book!

Boynton, Sandra.
New York : Workman Pub., 2011.
Language : English

Baby/board book

This whimsical and sweetly illustrated book is written in rhyme about Hippos and their belly buttons. This book is great for children ages 2 to 5 years old. It is a silly fun little book. I would recommend this book to children that have younger siblings at home so they could read to them.
May 09, 2008 Jenni rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Everybody's kids and those who are still kids at heart
I bought this book for my daughter when she was a baby. Now she's just turned 3 and we still read it to her We have made it a family favorite. It's quite possibly THE BEST children's book around. (A non-compete clause with the other Boynton Board books that Sandra writes!!!)
Ashlee Draper Galyean
By far my favorite Boynton book. I even have my own rendition of the belly button song.
This had my kids saying "Bee bo" for weeks.
This isn't my favorite Boynton book, but I think maybe it's because I didn't discover it until my son was already too old. He picked it out at the library (drawn to the hippo on the cover), but the text is a bit young for him (he's 3). He did like saying "Bee bo!" and got a kick out of me poking his belly button as we read, but in general I felt like it was just a bit too baby-ish for us at this point.
I might try it again when my daughter (currently 3 months old) gets a bit bigger, because she m
Amy Forrester
“Bee bo!” If you haven't read this book, you might not know that’s the tiny hippo way of saying, “Belly Button!” Hippos are oh-so-proud of their belly buttons and every summer they show them off a the Belly Button Beach. They nibble grapes and take naps and sing odes to their belly buttons by the light of the moon. Summer is the time for belly button songs because when it gets cold belly buttons hide. “Bye-bye, Bee Bo!”

The rhyming text of this humorous board book trips off the tongue like a baby
Sarah Ashburn
I think that this book was a very cute book for younger kids. I think that at a young age hearing books like this read out loud is a great way for kids to hear the sounds that are being produced by others. This has a lot of words that sound similar but have a little bit of a different sound which can show children that the slightest change in sounds can make a word mean something completely different.
Grace Willits
We all have a "bee-Bo", why not write a book about it? "Belly Button Book!" is a silly story about a momma hippo and a baby hippo. Momma hippo is telling the reader about how baby hippo calls her belly button "bee-Bo"- how cute! And where do bee-bos come out to play? The Belly Button Beach of course. I love how Sandra Boynton takes a topic that might confuse children, the exposure seen at the beach in comparison to normal clothes, and makes it very understandable. Bathing suits are just a way of ...more
I think it is safe to say this is my least favorite Boynton. It's not bad. The little hippo saying "Bee Bo" is adorable. But it just didn't get as many laughs from me, and there wasn't much of a learning concept either. I was also looking for something to use in Movement storytime, and this didn't say "Pick Me!"
Drew Graham
There's a group of beach-going hippopotami who are quite obsessed with their belly buttons.

In the canon of Sandra Boynton's silly board books, this stands out as one of the silliest, which isn't necessarily a negative. I like how the main kiddo seems even younger than a toddler, and there was some real humor here, even if the premise is REAlly narrowly-defined. But after all, everyone has a bee bo! Why not celebrate them? (I just wish SB's weren't so decidedly, pinkly pronounced.)
I don't know, I really didn't like this book. Maybe it was because I was reading it to my daughter in the middle of winter with her pajamas being footies that don't let you touch the belly button? And "Bee Bo" isn't really in our vocabulary.
Hen is obsessed with his belly button right now so we bought this for him and he gets a kick out of it each time we read it. So glad we added it to his library.
I'll never be able to look at a balloon in quite the same way again. And I will forever remember why hippopotamuses are mournful during the winter.

Bee bo, indeed.
This book is seriously the best.
It made my daughter LOL starting around 8 months. She would lose her marbles on the "belly button beach" page.
Sarah Delacueva
I love Sandra Boynton and this is one of my faves. The story is delightful and charming and the meter is fun even for very young babies.
Jamie Petts
Our daughter loves this book. The hippos, the song, the rhythm. Yet another Boynton book that is well loved in our home.
This one was a little pedestrian to me. It was a big book though and easy to hold. My daughter did like it though.
Love this book! This author is so clever with her rhymes and her books are so silly and fun!
This might be my favorite Sandra Boynton book. So much fun to read aloud to my little one.
This book was one of my son's favorites when he was about a year to year and a half.
This is my daughter's new favorite book. She keeps asking for "bee bo!"
Deliciously silly in an appealing oversized board book format.
totally adorable for wee ones just learning words! ahhh so sweet
The five year old really like the word that says be-bo.
Molly & Mommy
Perfect. We should all be so proud of our belly bees.
  • Quiet Loud
  • That's Not My Dinosaur
  • Gossie and Gertie
  • The Pigeon Loves Things That Go!
  • I Love You Through and Through
  • Peek-a-Who?
  • How Do Dinosaurs Learn Their Colors?
  • Black on White
  • My Very First Book Of Shapes
  • Tails
  • Llama Llama Wakey-Wake
  • Wheels on the Bus
Sandra Keith Boynton is a popular American humorist, songwriter, children's author and illustrator. Boynton has written and illustrated more than forty books for both children and adults, as well as over four thousand greeting cards, and four music albums. Although she does not license her characters to be redrawn or adapted, she has herself designed—for various companies—calendars, wallpaper, bed ...more
More about Sandra Boynton...