Start by marking “Belly Button Book” as Want to Read:
Belly Button Book

Belly Button Book

4.20  ·  Rating Details  ·  5,660 Ratings  ·  196 Reviews
Emboldened by the enthusiastic response to Belly Button (Round); a song from her Grammy-nominated book/CD, Philadelphia Chickens; Sandra Boynton further contemplates this mesmerizing subject.

Featuring a beachful of bare-bellied hippos; including one tiny baby who can only say "Bee Bo" the Belly Button Book is the latest quirky addition to the phenomenally successful Boyn
Board Book, 24 pages
Published April 18th 2005 by Workman Publishing Company

To ask other readers questions about Belly Button Book, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Belly Button Book

Where the Wild Things Are by Maurice SendakThe Very Hungry Caterpillar by Eric CarleThe Giving Tree by Shel SilversteinGreen Eggs and Ham by Dr. SeussGoodnight Moon by Margaret Wise Brown
Best Children's Books
385th out of 3,673 books — 5,354 voters
The Very Hungry Caterpillar by Eric CarleBrown Bear, Brown Bear, What Do You See? by Bill Martin Jr.A Pet Banana by Othen Donald Dale CummingsDear Zoo by Rod CampbellThe Monster at the End of this Book by Jon Stone
Best Toddler Books
45th out of 400 books — 371 voters

More lists with this book...

Elisabeth
Aug 26, 2011 Elisabeth rated it it was amazing
I've read lots of Boynton - she's a big hit with both boys. My three year old Max has taken a new interest in hippos, and seems to like hers the best. We've read this one so many times, I think I might have it memorized. However, almost with each reading I find something new, or something else that is funny. And, for the first time I made the connection that she really reminds me of Mo Willems. I think because her books are largely in board book format and I read them to my boys when they were b ...more
Argott
Feb 10, 2009 Argott rated it it was amazing
These Boynton hippos are heroic. They really know who they are. And they have the right attitude about life. If we could elect politicians that were more like these hippos . . . well, to be honest it would probably still be one hell of a mess -- but I don't think I would mind as much. I'd definitely vote for a Boynton hippo. But take that with a grain of salt, as I voted for Governor Moonbeam in the 1992 Democratic primary. And I'd certainly vote for him again; Jerry Brown has the kind of integr ...more
midnightfaerie
Jun 27, 2013 midnightfaerie rated it liked it
Shelves: childrens
One of our favorite Sandra Boynton book, my children spent a good portion of the time looking at and pointing to their belly buttons. A cute story and something we all could enjoy.
SaraLaLa
Jul 07, 2016 SaraLaLa rated it liked it
Shelves: childrens
Although I like belly buttons, this book feels like less of a story than Sandra Boynton's other books. It sounded more like an explanation of what belly buttons are, and that's okay, but less interesting than, say, Birthday Monsters!
Ame
"BEE-BO!"

Ugh, this book is so cute. It's fun to read, and it mildly promotes body positivity. I felt it ended way too abruptly though. Give me MORE bellybutton pride!
Megan
Nov 04, 2014 Megan rated it it was amazing
Will be buying for the grandkids, when I have some. Loved it!
Michelle
Feb 17, 2015 Michelle rated it it was amazing
Shelves: slib-520
Belly Button Book!

Boynton, Sandra.
New York : Workman Pub., 2011.
Language : English

Baby/board book

This whimsical and sweetly illustrated book is written in rhyme about Hippos and their belly buttons. This book is great for children ages 2 to 5 years old. It is a silly fun little book. I would recommend this book to children that have younger siblings at home so they could read to them.
Sarah (Books Before Bandaids)
Jul 18, 2016 Sarah (Books Before Bandaids) rated it really liked it
Shelves: board-books
Sandra Boynton’s Belly Button Book has adorable hippos, hysterical pictures, and lots of fun to read rhymes about belly buttons, what more could you ask for in a book. As with tiny guys, my son is very fond of pointing out his and other people’s belly buttons, so he loves the Belly Button Book. He is incredibly fond of the belly button song, and has been known to start singing it at random and inappropriate moments. This is an entire book about that funny body part with bright, colorful pictures ...more
Jenni
May 09, 2008 Jenni rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Everybody's kids and those who are still kids at heart
I bought this book for my daughter when she was a baby. Now she's just turned 3 and we still read it to her We have made it a family favorite. It's quite possibly THE BEST children's book around. (A non-compete clause with the other Boynton Board books that Sandra writes!!!)
Ashlee Draper Galyean
May 11, 2015 Ashlee Draper Galyean rated it it was amazing
By far my favorite Boynton book. I even have my own rendition of the belly button song.
Karl
Apr 16, 2008 Karl rated it it was amazing
This had my kids saying "Bee bo" for weeks.
Asho
This isn't my favorite Boynton book, but I think maybe it's because I didn't discover it until my son was already too old. He picked it out at the library (drawn to the hippo on the cover), but the text is a bit young for him (he's 3). He did like saying "Bee bo!" and got a kick out of me poking his belly button as we read, but in general I felt like it was just a bit too baby-ish for us at this point.
I might try it again when my daughter (currently 3 months old) gets a bit bigger, because she m
Amy Forrester
May 08, 2012 Amy Forrester rated it it was amazing
“Bee bo!” If you haven't read this book, you might not know that’s the tiny hippo way of saying, “Belly Button!” Hippos are oh-so-proud of their belly buttons and every summer they show them off a the Belly Button Beach. They nibble grapes and take naps and sing odes to their belly buttons by the light of the moon. Summer is the time for belly button songs because when it gets cold belly buttons hide. “Bye-bye, Bee Bo!”

The rhyming text of this humorous board book trips off the tongue like a baby
Sarah Ashburn
May 30, 2015 Sarah Ashburn rated it liked it
Shelves: language-play
I think that this book was a very cute book for younger kids. I think that at a young age hearing books like this read out loud is a great way for kids to hear the sounds that are being produced by others. This has a lot of words that sound similar but have a little bit of a different sound which can show children that the slightest change in sounds can make a word mean something completely different.
Grace Willits
Nov 24, 2013 Grace Willits rated it it was amazing
We all have a "bee-Bo", why not write a book about it? "Belly Button Book!" is a silly story about a momma hippo and a baby hippo. Momma hippo is telling the reader about how baby hippo calls her belly button "bee-Bo"- how cute! And where do bee-bos come out to play? The Belly Button Beach of course. I love how Sandra Boynton takes a topic that might confuse children, the exposure seen at the beach in comparison to normal clothes, and makes it very understandable. Bathing suits are just a way of ...more
Heidi
I think it is safe to say this is my least favorite Boynton. It's not bad. The little hippo saying "Bee Bo" is adorable. But it just didn't get as many laughs from me, and there wasn't much of a learning concept either. I was also looking for something to use in Movement storytime, and this didn't say "Pick Me!"
Drew Graham
Jun 16, 2015 Drew Graham rated it really liked it
Shelves: kids
There's a group of beach-going hippopotami who are quite obsessed with their belly buttons.

In the canon of Sandra Boynton's silly board books, this stands out as one of the silliest, which isn't necessarily a negative. I like how the main kiddo seems even younger than a toddler, and there was some real humor here, even if the premise is REAlly narrowly-defined. But after all, everyone has a bee bo! Why not celebrate them? (I just wish SB's weren't so decidedly, pinkly pronounced.)
Dee
Feb 25, 2014 Dee rated it it was ok
Shelves: library, board-books
I don't know, I really didn't like this book. Maybe it was because I was reading it to my daughter in the middle of winter with her pajamas being footies that don't let you touch the belly button? And "Bee Bo" isn't really in our vocabulary.
M Lee
Dec 04, 2015 M Lee rated it really liked it
Another humorous book from Boynton, this story is about a group of hippos obsessed with their belly buttons. Toddlers can surely relate to this. Ever notice a balloon has belly button too? A fun book to read.
Efox
Apr 19, 2016 Efox rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kids-books
This book was a hand me down from a good friend. It's not in very good shape and I totally understand why. It's amazing. It's hilarious, it's adorable, it makes me laugh and my baby LOVES it.
Bree :)
May 20, 2016 Bree :) rated it really liked it
HILARIOUS
Tiffany
Dec 09, 2015 Tiffany rated it really liked it
Shelves: board-books
Cute as a button. Saying "Bee Bo!" is a way a tiny hippo says Belly Button! Adorable and ticklish, fantastic read to tickle your child's belly button! Terrific board book!
Kristin
Jul 08, 2014 Kristin rated it it was amazing
Hen is obsessed with his belly button right now so we bought this for him and he gets a kick out of it each time we read it. So glad we added it to his library.
Russell
Jun 12, 2014 Russell rated it really liked it
I'll never be able to look at a balloon in quite the same way again. And I will forever remember why hippopotamuses are mournful during the winter.

Bee bo, indeed.
Dewey
Feb 02, 2016 Dewey rated it it was amazing
Shelves: st-unsorted
Maria
Jul 06, 2015 Maria rated it it was amazing
This book is seriously the best.
It made my daughter LOL starting around 8 months. She would lose her marbles on the "belly button beach" page.
Sarah Delacueva
Oct 10, 2014 Sarah Delacueva rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childhood-faves
I love Sandra Boynton and this is one of my faves. The story is delightful and charming and the meter is fun even for very young babies.
Jenna
Dec 09, 2015 Jenna rated it really liked it
This was a hit, especially the song, which was rather embarassing to sing aloud, even to babies. Fun, quick, and entertaining.
Jamie Petts
Jan 31, 2015 Jamie Petts rated it it was amazing
Our daughter loves this book. The hippos, the song, the rhythm. Yet another Boynton book that is well loved in our home.
Miss Sarah
Feb 23, 2016 Miss Sarah rated it it was ok
Shelves: boardbook
I didn't really love this book about a young hippo discovering and learning about bellybuttons in his culture.
  • Quiet Loud
  • Gossie and Gertie
  • That's Not My Dinosaur
  • I Love You Through and Through
  • Black on White
  • Llama Llama Wakey-Wake
  • Daddy Hugs
  • The Pigeon Loves Things That Go!
  • Toes, Ears, & Nose! (A Lift-the-Flap Book)
  • Bubbles, Bubbles (Sesame Beginnings)
  • How Do Dinosaurs Count to Ten?
  • My Very First Book of Shapes
  • Tails
  • Peek-a-Who?
Sandra Keith Boynton is a popular American humorist, songwriter, children's author and illustrator. Boynton has written and illustrated more than forty books for both children and adults, as well as over four thousand greeting cards, and four music albums. Although she does not license her characters to be redrawn or adapted, she has herself designed—for various companies—calendars, wallpaper, bed ...more
More about Sandra Boynton...