Belly Button Book

Belly Button Book

4.19 of 5 stars 4.19  ·  rating details  ·  4,010 ratings  ·  151 reviews
Emboldened by the enthusiastic response to Belly Button (Round); a song from her Grammy-nominated book/CD, Philadelphia Chickens; Sandra Boynton further contemplates this mesmerizing subject.

Featuring a beachful of bare-bellied hippos; including one tiny baby who can only say "Bee Bo" the Belly Button Book is the latest quirky addition to the phenomenally successful Boyn...more
Board Book, 24 pages
Published April 18th 2005 by Workman Publishing Company

To ask other readers questions about Belly Button Book, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Belly Button Book

Where the Wild Things Are by Maurice SendakThe Very Hungry Caterpillar by Eric CarleThe Giving Tree by Shel SilversteinGreen Eggs and Ham by Dr. SeussGoodnight Moon by Margaret Wise Brown
Best Children's Books
439th out of 3,046 books — 4,501 voters
The Very Hungry Caterpillar by Eric CarleA Pet Banana by Othen Donald Dale CummingsAn Elephant Is On My House by Othen Donald Dale CummingsBrown Bear, Brown Bear, What Do You See? by Bill Martin Jr.The Monster at the End of this Book by Jon Stone
Best Toddler Books
36th out of 267 books — 281 voters

More lists with this book...

midnightfaerie
One of our favorite Sandra Boynton book, my children spent a good portion of the time looking at and pointing to their belly buttons. A cute story and something we all could enjoy.
Elisabeth
I've read lots of Boynton - she's a big hit with both boys. My three year old Max has taken a new interest in hippos, and seems to like hers the best. We've read this one so many times, I think I might have it memorized. However, almost with each reading I find something new, or something else that is funny. And, for the first time I made the connection that she really reminds me of Mo Willems. I think because her books are largely in board book format and I read them to my boys when they were b...more
Argott
These Boynton hippos are heroic. They really know who they are. And they have the right attitude about life. If we could elect politicians that were more like these hippos . . . well, to be honest it would probably still be one hell of a mess -- but I don't think I would mind as much. I'd definitely vote for a Boynton hippo. But take that with a grain of salt, as I voted for Governor Moonbeam in the 1992 Democratic primary. And I'd certainly vote for him again; Jerry Brown has the kind of integr...more
Ashlee Draper Galyean
By far my favorite Boynton book. I even have my own rendition of the belly button song.
Jenni
May 09, 2008 Jenni rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Everybody's kids and those who are still kids at heart
I bought this book for my daughter when she was a baby. Now she's just turned 3 and we still read it to her We have made it a family favorite. It's quite possibly THE BEST children's book around. (A non-compete clause with the other Boynton Board books that Sandra writes!!!)
Karl
This had my kids saying "Bee bo" for weeks.
Amy Musser
“Bee bo!” If you haven't read this book, you might not know that’s the tiny hippo way of saying, “Belly Button!” Hippos are oh-so-proud of their belly buttons and every summer they show them off a the Belly Button Beach. They nibble grapes and take naps and sing odes to their belly buttons by the light of the moon. Summer is the time for belly button songs because when it gets cold belly buttons hide. “Bye-bye, Bee Bo!”

The rhyming text of this humorous board book trips off the tongue like a baby...more
Grace Willits
We all have a "bee-Bo", why not write a book about it? "Belly Button Book!" is a silly story about a momma hippo and a baby hippo. Momma hippo is telling the reader about how baby hippo calls her belly button "bee-Bo"- how cute! And where do bee-bos come out to play? The Belly Button Beach of course. I love how Sandra Boynton takes a topic that might confuse children, the exposure seen at the beach in comparison to normal clothes, and makes it very understandable. Bathing suits are just a way of...more
Heidi
I think it is safe to say this is my least favorite Boynton. It's not bad. The little hippo saying "Bee Bo" is adorable. But it just didn't get as many laughs from me, and there wasn't much of a learning concept either. I was also looking for something to use in Movement storytime, and this didn't say "Pick Me!"
Dee
I don't know, I really didn't like this book. Maybe it was because I was reading it to my daughter in the middle of winter with her pajamas being footies that don't let you touch the belly button? And "Bee Bo" isn't really in our vocabulary.
Kristin
Hen is obsessed with his belly button right now so we bought this for him and he gets a kick out of it each time we read it. So glad we added it to his library.
Russell
I'll never be able to look at a balloon in quite the same way again. And I will forever remember why hippopotamuses are mournful during the winter.

Bee bo, indeed.
Heather
This one was a little pedestrian to me. It was a big book though and easy to hold. My daughter did like it though.
Kelly
This book was one of my son's favorites when he was about a year to year and a half.
Beth
This is my daughter's new favorite book. She keeps asking for "bee bo!"
Molly & Mommy
Perfect. We should all be so proud of our belly bees.
Aprils
This book was silly and funny. I loved it!
Thersia
Love this book checked it many times from AMPL.
Heather
Sandra Boynton has a gift for rhythm, and this particular book shows off her talent for outrageous humor as well. You get inside her head and her world, where the hippopotamus culture is fascinated with their own belly buttons. You spend time on Belly Button Beach, where "tons of hippos stand around in bathing suits too little because they hope you will admire the button on their middle." Really, doesn't the poetry and humor of that line make you want to read the rest? It's good. Very good.
Allison
This is a wonderful book about your belly button, or as the baby hippo says "bee-bo". The illustrations show some hippos showing off their belly buttons and its words are based on the belly button song the author wrote. Kids will enjoy singing and following along.

This book is appropriate for ages 1+

I encourage reading this book with kids, it will help them understand a little more about their bodies, to learn to love them with all its silly parts.
Rachel
A cute book, with the author's trademark adorable illustrations, about hippo belly buttons (called bee-bo by the very small). It documents how much the hippos love their belly buttons, so much in fact that they like to take them to the beach and sing songs about them. This oversized lap board book was perfect for reading aloud to my 8 month old at the library, which we did this week on my day off. Recommended for ages 8 months - 3 years, 3 stars.
Amanda Kolar
Boynton (2005) talks about how hippos like their belly button. When it is warm and hot outside the hippos go to the beach and show off their belly buttons so that we will look at them since they are so cute and round and that balloons are round and have belly buttons just like the hippos do. I can use this book in my classroom to teach where our belly buttons are at and that everyone has a belly button.
Ruth
Aug 10, 2011 Ruth rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Any one with little children
Shelves: childrens
My 2, 4, and 6 think this is a very funny book. My favorite part is: "BELLY BUTTON BEACH - Where Tons of Hippos Stand Around In Bathing Suits Too Little Because They Hope You Will Admire The Button On Their Middle". I crack up every time I read this part. I think of all the people at the beach in Hawaii. Many of them fit this sign. :) VERY cute! I also love the pictures.
Lindsey
Totally adorable. While belly buttons may seem like a weird subject for a book, anyone with a toddler understands right away why this book is a hit. As always, Boynton's rhyming scheme and illustrations are perfect for the subject. The hippos who are waiting around to have their belly buttons noticed are just too funny.

A hit for toddlers and parents!
Windy
May 17, 2008 Windy rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: belly button lovers!
Shelves: for-the-kiddoes
This book is especially suited to my youngest daughter - who has been obsessed with her belly button since she was 9 months old. She is five now and still keeps a finger on her belly button all the time. The funny thing about this book is that hippos call their belly buttons "bee boos" - the exact same thing my daughter calls her belly button!
Chris
I have always loved the Boynton hippos, and this book in particular was the first book I bought for my son. We both love it. He knows what his be-bo is and lifts his shirt to show me. I love reading this one cause it's about hippo belly buttons and a balloon (boon). It rhymes, it's fun, it's cute and very cool. My favorite.
Jeanne
This was one of nephew Kien's favorite books. The music that goes with it, found on the "Blue Moo" CD is great. Kien and I love to dance and sing to it. The song sung by the Heath sisters is really good and the lyrics are sublime. "Belly belly button you're o so fine, belly, belly button, I'm so happy your mine."
S
this book is TOO CUTE! It was a gift for my friend's child, but I read it, made my husband read it, and then my sister too. It's clearly meant to entertain adults ...see "navel academy". Her illustrations are fun and show her talent since it's somewhat unusual to have an author illustrate her own book.
george
Belly buttons and hippos! Cute, cute book for very young children about--what else?--belly buttons! The hippos love, I mean LOVE, their belly buttons, They wear too-small bathing suits at the belly button beach to show off. And they sing a belly button song. Adorable and fun. My 23-month-old niece loves it.
Nicole
This book is illustrated beautifully. The pictures clearly depict the words, although I would not use this book in a classroom. The way that the language is used is under any school aged child. This is however a great book for toddlers learning where different parts of the body are located.
  • Gossie
  • Quiet Loud
  • I Love You Through and Through
  • Wheels on the Bus
  • The Pigeon Loves Things That Go!
  • Peek-a-Who?
  • Toes, Ears, & Nose!: A Lift-the-Flap Book
  • Where Is Baby's Belly Button?
  • Llama Llama Wakey-Wake
  • Tails
  • My Very First Book of Colors
  • Black on White
  • First 100 Words
  • That's Not My Dinosaur
  • How Do Dinosaurs Count to Ten?
  • Duck & Goose Find A Pumpkin
  • Planes Board Book
Sandra Keith Boynton is a popular American humorist, songwriter, children's author and illustrator. Boynton has written and illustrated more than forty books for both children and adults, as well as over four thousand greeting cards, and four music albums. Although she does not license her characters to be redrawn or adapted, she has herself designed—for various companies—calendars, wallpaper, bed...more
More about Sandra Boynton...
Moo, Baa, La La La! The Going-To-Bed Book Barnyard Dance But Not the Hippopotamus Blue Hat, Green Hat (Boynton Board Books)