Start by marking “The Glass Coffin (A Joanne Kilbourn Mystery #8)” as Want to Read:
The Glass Coffin (A Joanne Kilbourn Mystery #8)

The Glass Coffin (A Joanne Kilbourn Mystery #8)

3.66 of 5 stars 3.66  ·  rating details  ·  163 ratings  ·  9 reviews
In this chilling tale of the terrible power of the ties that both bind us and blind us, Gail Bowen has given us her best novel yet. Brimming with the author’s characteristic empathy for the troubled, The Glass Coffin explores the depth of tragedy that a camera’s neutral eye can capture – and cause.

Canada’s favourite sleuth, Joanne Kilbourn, is dismayed to learn who it is t
Published October 21st 2003 by McClelland & Stewart (first published August 27th 2002)

To ask other readers questions about The Glass Coffin, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Glass Coffin

Kristilyn
I haven’t read a lot of mysteries. In fact, if you were to ask me how to define a mystery novel, I’d probably mutter something about Sherlock Holmes while staring at my shoes, looking for an exit.

Being one of my book club reads, I didn’t know what to expect when I saw that we were reading The Glass Coffin (A Joanne Kilbourn Mystery), a mystery, by Canadian author Gail Bowen. I was hesitant at first, not knowing if I wanted to pick up the book and attend the meeting—would I hate it? I don’t read
Laurel
This was my first time reading Gail Bowen's work. Her main character, Joanne Kilbourn is a feisty, opinionated journalist and single mom of two children. She has been involved with a local detective, Alex Kequahtooway, who also happens to be of aboriginal descent. Incidentally, Gail has been an associate professor and head of the English Department at the First-Nations University of Canada, in Calgary, Alberta. Joanne has some time off from work, since the book's timeline is spread throughout th ...more
Erika
It's always a pleasure to meet up with Canadian sleuth Joanne Kilburn. Complex characters combined with a fast moving plot keep the reader guessing until the last page. Bodies and clues abound as do Canadian icons such as Tim Hortons, CBC Radio and national TV shows. Gail Bowen is one of the few mystery writers who keep getting better.
Joy
I didn't feel this was the best entry into the series, but it was solid enough that I will be continuing on. There was something about this one that just didn't feel quite as genuine as some of the previous entries.
Deb
Canadian Mystery Writer that I enjoy very much this is the 6th book in the series. Widowed teacher solving crimes. Very well written and characters are well formed. This was the most bizarre book of her series -- liked it.
Sherry
I read this book in 2 days and thoroughly enjoyed the story. The descriptions of wintery Saskachewan, at 20 degrees below zero gave me a thrill. Ms. Bowen has a new book out which I will definitely read.
Debbie
I still don't really like the heroine of these novels but this story was pretty interesting. I found the disfunctional family here sickly interesting. Might be my favourite of the series so far.
Peter
Gail Bowen is a trooper who turns out truly fine mysteries set in Saskatchewan.
Christel Grady
Nice, fluffy read. Can't wait to pick up more of this continuing series.
Lynn
Lynn marked it as to-read
May 18, 2015
Daniel
Daniel marked it as to-read
May 12, 2015
William Land
William Land marked it as to-read
May 08, 2015
Kelly
Kelly marked it as to-read
May 07, 2015
Kathleen Hodgins
Kathleen Hodgins marked it as to-read
Apr 24, 2015
Pat
Pat added it
Mar 30, 2015
Beth Manary
Beth Manary marked it as to-read
Mar 05, 2015
Liz
Liz marked it as to-read
Mar 04, 2015
Lynda Berman
Lynda Berman marked it as to-read
Mar 02, 2015
Philip
Philip marked it as to-read
Jan 14, 2015
Elle
Elle added it
Dec 20, 2014
Margaret
Margaret marked it as to-read
Dec 19, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • The Edge of Doom (A Kate Fansler Mystery #14)
  • The Backwoods of Canada
  • The Tomorrow-Tamer
  • Crime Machine (John Cardinal and Lise Delorme Mystery, #5)
  • Sisters In The Wilderness: The Lives Of Susanna Moosie And Catharine Parr Traill
  • Whale Music
  • Black Ice (Detective Jill Jackson, #3)
  • Wild Geese (New Canadian Library)
  • The Wild Beasts of Wuhan (Ava Lee, #3)
  • Flight of Aquavit (A Russell Quant Mystery, #2)
  • Confined Space (Bern Fortin mystery, #1)
  • Up and Down
Gail Dianne Bowen (née Bartholomew) is a Canadian playwright and writer of mystery novels. Born in Toronto, Ontario, Bowen was educated at the University of Toronto, the University of Waterloo and the University of Saskatchewan. She subsequently taught English in Saskatchewan, and is currently a professor of English at First Nations University of Canada. Bowen's mystery novels feature Joanne Kilbo ...more
More about Gail Bowen...

A Joanne Kilbourn Mystery (1 - 10 of 16 books)
  • Deadly Appearances (A Joanne Kilbourn Mystery #1)
  • Murder at the Mendel (A Joanne Kilbourn Mystery #2)
  • The Wandering Soul Murders (A Joanne Kilbourn Mystery #3)
  • A Colder Kind of Death (A Joanne Kilbourn Mystery #4)
  • A Killing Spring (A Joanne Kilbourn Mystery #5)
  • Verdict in Blood (A Joanne Kilbourn Mystery #6)
  • Burying Ariel (A Joanne Kilbourn Mystery #7)
  • The Last Good Day (A Joanne Kilbourn Mystery #9)
  • The Endless Knot (A Joanne Kilbourn Mystery #10)
  • The Brutal Heart (A Joanne Kilbourn Mystery #11)
Murder at the Mendel (A Joanne Kilbourn Mystery #2) The Wandering Soul Murders (A Joanne Kilbourn Mystery #3) A Killing Spring (A Joanne Kilbourn Mystery #5) A Colder Kind of Death (A Joanne Kilbourn Mystery #4) The Nesting Dolls (A Joanne Kilbourn Mystery #12)