Start by marking “Claudia and Mean Janine (The Baby-Sitters Club, #7)” as Want to Read:
Claudia and Mean Janine (The Baby-Sitters Club, #7)
Preview

Claudia and Mean Janine (The Baby-Sitters Club #7)

3.57 of 5 stars 3.57  ·  rating details  ·  2,878 ratings  ·  59 reviews
Claudia's participation in the Baby-sitters Club is curtailed when Grandmother Mimi suffers a stroke and Claudia finds herself "Mimi-sitting" and fighting more frequently with her sister.
Published September 1st 1987 by Scholastic

To ask other readers questions about Claudia and Mean Janine, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Claudia and Mean Janine

The Giver by Lois LowryNight by Elie WieselRomeo and Juliet by William ShakespeareThe Two Towers by J.R.R. Tolkien1984 by George Orwell
Awesome books!!!!
47th out of 261 books — 58 voters
Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone by J.K. RowlingAlien Species Intervention Books 1-3 by J.K. AccinniBaby by J.K. AccinniTwilight by Stephenie MeyerThe Chronicles of Narnia by C.S. Lewis
Best Series Books
214th out of 823 books — 731 voters

More lists with this book...

Lisa
I feel the need to point out that at no point was Janine mean. Claudia on the other hand - kind of a bitch.
Katherine
In BSC # 7 , Claudia And Mean Janine,we get a look at sibling rivalry within a BSC member's family. That family is the Kishi family, Claudia's family.
Janine becomes more of a focus in the book, and is made out to be boring. When I was younger, I loved studying, and I still love learning, and liking these things does not make you boring, although I suppose that the book is aimed at the age group it is, and, at that age, not everyone likes school.
School is out for summer, and the babysitters clu
Ciara
i wasn't crazy about this book when i was a kid, & i think i like it even less as an adult.

first, our A plot: claudia has nothing in common with her older sister, janine. claudia dresses in wild outfits, janine wears kilts & button-downs. claudia hates school, while janine is studying to be a physicist (apparently). claudia has lots of friends & is always off on a babysitting job or art class, & janine's best friend is a computer. the bottom line is that claudia feels insecure wh
Laura Hughes
Claudia's grandmother has a stroke.

Amidst BSC plans for an informal neighborhood playgroup, Claudia drops out to deal with a family emergency: her beloved grandmother Mimi has a stroke. Claudia "babysits" Mimi during her slow recovery, and fights with her sister Janine, whom she feels isn’t pulling her weight in the family crisis.

Mimi’s stroke is frightening and heartrending, and Claudia’s thoughts and emotions during the aftermath are complex and realistic (fear, grief, guilt, duty, love, failu
Julie Decker
Claudia and her sister Janine are pretty much polar opposites. Claudia's the artistic one and Janine's the smart one. And they've mostly dealt with being family by staying away from each other. This is no longer an option when their live-in grandmother has a stroke and they have to come together to help her, leaving them both wanting to pull out each other's hair--or their own.

So how do you get babysitting into this book? Painfully. The unrealistic distractions the other sitters come up with are
Kimberly
I loved the BSC series when I was younger and even more glad that I held on to them all these years so my children would be able to enjoy them as well. I would recommend for tween girls.
Rylee
This a good book. I think me and my sister were like Claudia and Janine!
Swankivy
A book about sibling rivalry is a good idea for the age group this is aimed at. Problem is, Claudia herself and her super-smart older sister Janine are kind of cardboard cutouts when it comes to what they fight about, and of course secretly they're both jealous of what comes to the other one easily. And Claudia learns to put her own sibling rivalry into perspective when she has to try to help one of her babysitting charges with his jealousy over his new baby sister. I thought the bit with their ...more
Nicole G.
More like bitchy Claudia and dull Janine. Nerds don't need to be boring, you guys. Our socially inept. Some of us are quite capable of holding conversations with others. That being said, I always did identify a bit with Janine, because I always used my vocabulary and other kids used to tell me that I talked like a computer. I seen to recall that no advancement is ever made in this sisterly relationship. Oh and Mimi has a stroke. So sad.
Matthew Don
There's some laughable plot issues (braiding a dog's fur? Can't really imagine that), but Claudia and Mean Janine has an ineffable charm. The plot would've been very stodgy and lifeless if not for the intelligent plot device of Mimi falling ill, which added some much-needed depth in what would've been an otherwise plebeian and irksome experience with some highly stereotyped Asians, sibling antagonisms, and that appalingly atrocious title.
Someone
as a physics graduate, I didn't like the stereotype the book gave about scientist in general. Regardless of that fact, the book itself wasn't really an exciting read at all. The whole story about Claudia and Janine seemed more like a subplot than their grandma mimi getting sick and in the last 3~2 chapters things just randomly seemed to resolve itself just by communication. The description in the back, "Mean Janine puts down the Baby-sitters Club." seemed very wrong as I have read nothing of suc ...more
Lindsay
I've never really been a fan of Claudia. In this book she keeps saying how mean her sister is, but I think Claudia is the one who's being mean to Janine. I think it's probably because Janine is so smart and makes Claudia feel dumb. I did like the author touches on real like situations like when Claudias granny has a stroke. It's educational.
jamie
Awesome tween read

I chose this rating because it shows the bond between sisters and their family. I liked the book because it was an easy read. I would recommend this book for tween girls.
It's fun to read these again with my daughter. The key things we talked about were getting along with siblings, responsibility, and what a stroke is.
Idea Smith
The Baby-Sitters Club decides to extend the idea they explored in the earlier book (Kristy's Big Day) and host a summer playgroup for small children. Unfortunately Claudia must deal with bigger problems - her grandmother's stroke and its aftermath, not to mention friction with her older sister. The characters of Janine and Mimi are not very well explored through the series but this book tries to do some of it. Unfortunately, it's not very entertaining and I'm left with the feeling of too much, t ...more
Amara
While The Truth About Stacey, Mary Anne Saves the Day, and Dawn and the Impossible Three each dealt with reasonably serious topics (diabetes and its stigma in Stacey, responsibility and a minor health crisis in Mary Anne, and child neglect in Dawn), Claudia and Mean Janine offers up the most serious subject yet... though the title would have you believe this is just another book about bitchy sisters.

My full review of Claudia and Mean Janine can be read here at Amara's Eden.
April

Awesome books that girls will love! And the
Robin
Definitely not the greatest of the early BSC books, but it's alright. I laughed out loud at the part where Mimi yells, "Buh-buh-BEQUIET!!!" at Mary Anne when she's acting overly schoolmarm-ish. That passage alone was worth the time spent rereading Claudia and Mean Janine, because 1. it's really bizarre when saintly Mimi gets mad and 2. it's hilarious when people make Mary Anne cry. I enjoyed the friction between Janine and Claudia, followed by the partial resolution. Do these two siblings ever m ...more
Kellee
Reread for #BSC #bookaday

Reading this now as an adult who has lost both of her grandmothers made this book so much harder then I remember it being! The scene when Claudia and Janine find Mimi and the scene where Claudia first walks in to see Mimi at the hospital were heart wrenching!

Also, I remember thinking that Janine was a big meanie, but when rereading, I think Claudia was actually the one who overreacted and blew things out of proportion. It is interesting how our points of view change wit
Natalí
Actually... I thought Claudia was the mean one in the book. When their grandmother has a stroke, our artist baby-sitter tries to do everything to make her feel better, but then resents Janine for not helping. But, everytime her big sister tries to help, she just pushes her away. Claudia seemed pretty inmature at times but I guess she is really a 13yearOldGirl u.u Even though, this is a good book about families and how communication is necessary to understand each member of the family.
Rachel Brand
This book isn't really about Claudia and Janine's relationship, but more about Claudia and her relationship with Mimi, her grandmother, who has had a stroke. It wasn't my favourite of the original BSC books but it was a nice read. I realised halfway through that I must have read this as a child as I was recognising really obscure details! 8/10

Also, this story had four plots in it; quite impressive for a BSC book!
Claudia & Mimi
Claudia & Janine
Jamie & Lucy
The Playgroup
Delicious Strawberry
I really liked Mimi and how she provided Claudia with a positive influence in life, especially since her parents and sister often make her feel inferior. Janine is especially condescending, and I remember wanting to slap her when I read this book. It is sad that Mimi had a stroke, and this of course creates tension in the family, Claudia and Janine have to get along for the sake of Mimi. A decent book.
Sarah B
Stephanie
I thought this book was much more about Mimi and her medical scare, which was a interesting topic to bring up. Though what a stroke is was not actually explained. Maybe it would have been a teachable moment to recognize the signs of a stroke? But maybe back then we didn't know as much. Also, I thought Claudia was way meaner than Janine!
Dawn
Okay, it's perfect weather and I'm sick. So I needed an easy read (yes another one) to sit it in the sun with. Claudia and Mean Janine is one of the sadder BSC books. Mimi has a stroke and Claudia learns more about her sister, Janine. I just love the outfit descriptions. Oh, the '80s.
yyyasmin
This is a children's book with quite an informative content about stroke, as Claudia's grandma Mimi is attacked by it. Seriously, in my books, this puts this one on top - even more than typical Malaysian lovey dovey novels. Lol. Kids should read books like this.
Deborah Harris
AR Quiz No. 6502 EN Fiction
Accelerated Reader Quiz Information IL: MG - BL: 3.8 - AR Pts: 4.0
Accelerated Reader Quiz Type Information AR Quiz Types: RP, VP
Erin
"Claudia and Mean Janine" has to be one of my favorite books of the series. I didn't grow up with a sister but I have known enough sisters in my life to know that sometimes they can be like oil and water. They just don't mix!
Janine is not really mean. Never did understand what Claudia's problem with her older sister was. The bigger story is the sudden stroke Claudia's grandmother suffers and the effect it has on Claudia and her family.
F
Read through Chapter 6 to fourth-grade class. Enjoyed the trivia in Chapter 4 (i.e., McWhirter twins were responsible for publishing Guinness Book of Records, and Napoleon was also known as "Little Corporal").
  • First Place (Sweet Valley Twins, #8)

More about Ann M. Martin...

The Baby-Sitters Club (1 - 10 of 133 books)
  • The Summer Before (The Baby-Sitters Club, #0.5)
  • Kristy's Great Idea (The Baby-Sitters Club, #1)
  • Claudia and the Phantom Phone Calls (The Baby-sitters Club, #2)
  • The Truth About Stacey (The Baby-Sitters Club, #3)
  • Mary Anne Saves the Day (The Baby-Sitters Club, #4)
  • Dawn and the Impossible Three (The Baby-Sitters Club, #5)
  • Kristy's Big Day (The Baby-Sitters Club, #6)
  • Boy-Crazy Stacey (The Baby-Sitters Club, #8)
  • The Ghost at Dawn's House (The Baby-Sitters Club, #9)
  • Logan Likes Mary Anne! (The Baby-Sitters Club, #10)
Kristy's Great Idea (The Baby-Sitters Club, #1) A Corner of the Universe A Dog's Life: The Autobiography of a Stray The Doll People (Doll People, #1) The Truth About Stacey (The Baby-Sitters Club, #3)