The Most Evil Men And Women In History

The Most Evil Men And Women In History

3.52 of 5 stars 3.52  ·  rating details  ·  380 ratings  ·  42 reviews
A catalog of horrific evil, from the 1st century AD to the present day evil is a fact of life. We can see it, not only in the reigns of Stalin & Hitler, but also in everyday crimes like murder, rape & assault--quite apart from the millions of lives brutalized by political or religious oppression, poverty, disease & starvation. One factor unites the 16 featured...more
Published March 21st 2002 by Michael O'Mara Books Ltd

Lee Scoresby
Avoid this book. It is badly written, full of easy-to-avoid factual errors, and records every popular rumour you heard about these characters as fact. She actually uses "legend has it" occasionally, when what follows is too obviously nonsense. She should say "legend has it" on every page. If you want to really know what these characters were like, read a biography. If you don't have time, reading Wiki-freakin-pedia will tell you more than this book will. I want five hours of my life back.
Voldemort
Jul 30, 2013 Voldemort rated it 2 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: History newbies
Recommended to Voldemort by: Friend
Shelves: non-fiction
Book for beginners
Too many inconsistencies here and there, probably looked more like a short summary of what Wikipedia has, but the read is easy and gives a lot of information for newbies like I used to be. (This book made me dive into Dracula’s story and really understand that vampires never existed but IF they did they weren’t sparkling and sexy, simply bloodthirsty and murderous like Vlad Tepes aka The Impaler.) It’s a good start for someone who knows nothing or little.
Snafu Warrior
Najgora do sad. Ni po čemu se ne izdvaja kao knjiga, jer sve ovde napisano se može naći i na vikipediji, kao i sajtovima slične namene. Neke činjenice čak nisu ni istinite a autorka ima previše grešaka, od godina do imena, pa čak i događaja.
Ne treba ni na rivju da trošim reči, dovoljna je ocena sama po sebi.
Joanne♥~Bookworm Extraordinaire
This book is full of sadistic, psychotic killers, most of whom were unfortunately leaders of a country or some how important in society. There are 16 truly evil people in this book. Many of them are depraved, sick sociopaths whose number of killings reach the thousands and even millions. While reading about their evil deeds and their insane thoughts, I was thoroughly disgusted. Many of the leader of the countries had political ideas that were so stupid I couldn't believe that people actually fol...more
Brigg Sabol
Jul 19, 2012 Brigg Sabol rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone looking for light reading on a commute, trip, or while going to the bathroom
Recommended to Brigg by: Iijima Sensei
A friend of mine bought this at an airport before a flight and I borrowed it from him. It's about maybe around 15 different "evil" people in history. And they spend about 15-20 pages on each person. So what do you expect for 15 pages on the life of Adolf Hitler? You get the basic overview.

But if you take a step back and think about it, this is actually a really good book. Many of these people I knew nothing or very little about. So getting the 15 page overview/highlights gave me a good introduct...more
Erin
Typically I’m not very critical of the books I read but this was probably the most poorly written book I’ve read to date. Some of the facts were inconsistent and there were obvious typos; even grammatical errors! Stalin wasn’t around in 1992 unless he was reincarnated. I even checked for an editor and didn’t see one so that was probably the problem. Most of it read like a text book and I spent most of the first half of the book waiting for her to elaborate on the so called evils of the people sh...more
Erik Graff
Apr 23, 2012 Erik Graff rated it 1 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: no one
Recommended to Erik by: no one
Shelves: biography
Having been ill for a week and suffering a fever during some of it, I needed a lighter read than usual. This book was found amidst a pile of books belonging to a roommate. Being a series of short, sensationalistic biographies it seemed to fit the bill.

It did, but it wasn't very good. A glance at what passes for a bibliography indicates that its author read a few books on each subject--and usually not scholarly or definitive ones--and hashed out her stories from them. Not only are a lot of unsubs...more
Kimberly
This is a quick read. Very disturbing what people are capable of and their reasons for their actions. I think these killers got away with it for so long because most of us can't comprehend the magnitude of their insanity. We don't want to believe someone capable of these atrocities. Some didn't face judgement in this life or not severe enough.
Amatullah Richard
Captivating reading that depicts how these monsters came to power, their depth of their depravity, how they stayed in power, and ultimately their end. Good reading because it dramatically portrays the depths of evil human beings are capable of when educated vigilance by the many is not maintained. I was surprised Stalin emerges as the most "successful" evil leaders having taken actions that directly led to the deaths of at least 30 million people. However, even though his reign of terror was sho...more
Leslie
Aug 14, 2010 Leslie rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: those interested in evil but who don't want to be forced to think about it
Recommended to Leslie by: Brittany
This book was an engaging and fast read. Though Twiss is not an incredible writer and I wonder what her editor was smoking; I enjoyed the stories and information she gave. If you are looking for a basic history of some of WESTERN cultures most evil people then this is a fun fast paced read. However, if you are hoping for a discussion on evil or even an argument about why some of he3r choices were evil people (I personally am unconvinced that King John or Bloody Mary belong on her list) you will...more
Ricardo Viana

Um completo e descritivo script dos horrores que nós, humanos, fomos capazes de fazer com nossos pares. Como a "história se repete", vale ler como um processo educativo sobre o que não pode mais ser tolerado pela humanidade.
Molly
A very fascinating read. Some of the editing was a bit shoddy ("they released their horses go and hid wagon wheels") in several places, but overall the voice of the piece was rather masterful. [return][return]The choice to include Bloody Mary didn't seem deserved from the book's standpoint; she's surrounded by people in the book whom had other's skinned alive, drawn and quartered, bled out, etc. yet her atrocities aren't really elaborated on. The extent of her "evilness" seems to be a (very mino...more
Lori
Extremely interesting to learn about most of the people in this book. Some I had heard of and others I had never heard of. Some of the stories made my jaw drop and eyes pop and others made me want to sleep. None of the stories are boring, it is just that some went on and on to explain the same thing.

Side note: It would be interesting if it was known how some of these individuals viewed their life, because reading this makes you think everyone is crazy.
M.F. Moonzajer
Attila the Hun , Bad king John ,Caligula ,Francisco Pizarro ,Hitler- IDI Amin ,Ivan the terrible, Joseph Stalin and Nero.
The book is looking at the dark side of history and most evil man and women in the history.

The book explain how these people got power and how they become so brutal.

Week spirit can be easily affected by reading this book. Women should read and say how women also contributed in brutality side by side of men.
Robert
"Evil" has always been a subjective term. Some of the men in this book might be painted otherwise by other peoples. Indeed, some of them are national heroes to their own people.

Nevertheless, most of the men in this book were quite brutal, and sometimes cruel and selfish as well. Because everyone loves a dictator -- unless of course they happen to be ruled by one -- many people will enjoy this book.
Carson
I found this book fascinating but I do not pretend that it is for light reading. Each one of the characters mentioned could (and probably do) have entire books written about them. This book offers the readers digest version of their lives and conquests. I enjoyed the chance to learn about their earlier lives and then make my own opinion as to where I believe they fall in the "evil" spectrum.
Brad
Very informative for those who do not know much about the evil dictators and leaders of the past. The book is a main summary of each individual they labeled, so it does not go in to too much detail about each individual but a great place to start learning about some of the World's most deadly and hated people.
Dg Lagard
This is a book that I would definately recommend to everyone. It is a histoy book and very interesting. The people dicussed in this book are insane. They don't have any forms of a conscience and have no remorse for the crimes they commit or for the people they kill.
Milos Veljanoski
This book depicts closely personal and political nature of these powerful individuals. By checking and verifying their whereabouts through history, comparing those facts with the book, I am pleased to say it is accurate historically.

Recommended.
Clint
So much fun. Lots of interesting information about some of the biggest freaks in history, my favorite being the black Nazi cannibal who weighed 300 pounds and had the nickname of "Sister," Idi Amin.
Jesse Winslow
An interesting mix of subjects, my favorite being Rasputin. Nothing new here if you've studied these folks, but a good synopsis of some of the more colorful people of the last 2000 years.
Reden
Sep 14, 2007 Reden added it
What made them evil? Surprisingly, these men did not think that what they were doing were evil. Most of them had it in their minds that they were doing the world a favor. Wow!
Carolyn
A Brief Biography of some of the most extreme personalities that ever lived.
Guess I love this kind of gruesome stuff. Reality is far more twisted than fiction!
Katie Granger
I absolutely loved this one! It was full of information, and being able to follow certain people gave me a better feel for the era in which they lived.
Nicole Lynn
Sep 17, 2013 Nicole Lynn is currently reading it
This book is taking me a long time to read. Not for lack of being captivated, but for the fear brought on knowing more about these ruthless beings.
Cassie
Good for a light read if you need to kill some time. Not much new information for me, but overall entertaining.
Charles
Great teaser on the evil of history, but the book could have used some footnotes as well as a closing statement.
Zoe
The author's writing style bugs. There was too much emphasis on gore and not enough on history.
Mariah Smith
Sensationalistic, with limited source citations, but still hard to put down.
Ainsley Thrasher
Another great short collection featuring men & women.
  • The Most Evil Women in History
  • Killer Book of Serial Killers
  • A Brief History of British Kings and Queens: British Royal History from Alfred the Great to the Present
  • Eisenhower: A Soldier's Life
  • The Times Complete History of the World
  • Killers: the Most Barbaric Murderers of Our Times
  • A History of Civilizations
  • History's Worst Decisions
  • The Human Predator: A Historical Chronicle of Serial Murder and Forensic Investigation
  • Fatal: The Poisonous Life of a Female Serial Killer
  • Dungeon, Fire and Sword: The Knights Templar in the Crusades
  • The Encyclopedia of Serial Killers
  • Shakespeare by Another Name: The Life of Edward de Vere, Earl of Oxford, the Man Who Was Shakespeare
  • The Woman Who Swallowed a Toothbrush: And Other Weird Medical Case Histories
  • The Abacus and the Cross: The Story of the Pope Who Brought the Light of Science to the Dark Ages
  • Great Feuds in History: Ten of the Liveliest Disputes Ever
  • Where Shall Wisdom Be Found?
  • The Oxford History of the French Revolution
Những Người Đàn Ông Độc Ác Nhất Lịch Sử I personaggi più malvagi della storia. Un agghiacciante catalogo degli orrori che gli esseri umani sono capaci di commettere