Star Wars, Episode III - Revenge of the Sith

Star Wars, Episode III - Revenge of the Sith (Star Wars: Novelizations #3)

4.04 of 5 stars 4.04  ·  rating details  ·  6,713 ratings  ·  310 reviews
The turning point for the entire Star Wars saga is at hand

After years of civil war, the Separatists have battered the already faltering Republic nearly to the point of collapse. On Coruscant, the Senate watches anxiously as Supreme Chancellor Palpatine aggressively strips away more and more constitutional liberties in the name of safeguarding the Republic. Yoda, Mace Wind...more
Mass Market Paperback, 480 pages
Published October 25th 2005 by Del Rey (first published 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Star Wars, Episode III - Revenge of the Sith, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Star Wars, Episode III - Revenge of the Sith

Alex
Matthew Stover is a greater talent than Charles Dickens, Henry James and Proust all rolled into one. Ok, perhaps not. Star Wars: Revenge of the Sith may not be *quite* as good as A Tale of Two Cities but it surely takes some kind of genius to take a Lucas prequel screenplay and turn it into a 5-star worthy novel; Lucas' movie, Revenge of the Sith is, afterall a laughable mockery of what originally made Star Wars so great. It's easy to write-off a terrible movie as badly written when one sees the...more
Crystal Starr Light
"Even stars die"
Palpatine has been abducted from Coruscant in a daring attack from General Grievous of the Separatists. Anakin and Obi-Wan head off to rescue the Chancellor. Thus begins the end of the Republic...and the rise of the Empire.

I Liked:
THIS is what the prequels should have been. THIS is what the movie should have been. This is the pinnacle of Star Wars novelizations, the best showcase of characters, of story, of background, of setting, of action, of dialogue, of everything that reader...more
Ron
A Greek tragedy, that's what it is...or is supposed to be.

Stover managed to expand the cinematic story of Episode Three into something richer and deeper than the movie. With only minor plot expansions, he takes us into the thoughts, motives and emotions of the players.

We despair as we witness doom's inexorable approach. But, like Pandora's Box, after all the evils escaped into the world--galaxy, the last spirit out was hope.

So be it.

(fade to theme music.)
Eleai
This story is interesting in that George Lucas didn't really give Stover a lot to work with. From the movies, Lucas gave us a vague sense that Anakin was a cool person who was really friendly with Obi-Wan, and that he was supposedly the best Jedi and blah blah blah. Plus, he makes the fall of Anakin Skywalker just about the lamest one ever. Going by that alone, there really is not that much of a story.

Stover, however, is fantastic in his novelization of Revenge of the Sith. He manages to take s...more
Kimmie
This book really was a little gem to find and read.

I remember buying this just before the movie came back in 2005, and was surprisingly shocked by how rich and well written it was. For a movie based on a film. This book is by far better than the movie it is based upon, which you would think is strange considering the movie is more the 'source material' in this instance. But reading this was a joy. You really get to see the pressures that all the characters were under during the war and the even...more
Jessica
Matthew Stover wrote my favorite Star Wars book, Traitor, the story of Jacen Solo's philosophical meanderings under torture, and made Jacen Solo my favorite New Jedi Order Star Wars character.

Obi-wan's complex personality really shone through in Revenge of the Sith, as well as the complexities of Yoda, Mace Windu, and Palpatine's plot. The movie has its place. The actions scenes in the movie are far superior, though it is probably half due to John Williams. The political plots and the characters...more
Richard
Having enjoyed Traitor and Shatterpoint I was pleased to hear that Matthew Stover had been commissioned to write the novelisation of the third prequel because I thought that he could handle the dark subject matter with some finesse. I was not displeased. He has managed to capture the grandeur and scale of the movie perfectly, evident from the opening action sequence which I thought was long in the film, in the book it runs at over a hundred pages. But also he manages with some delicacy to allow...more
Michael Atkinson
I just finished listening (or rather, re-listening) to the audiobook of this, masterfully narrated by Jonathan Davis. As movie novelizations go, this is definitely one of the great ones. It's better than the movie in many ways. The novel goes inside Anakin's head and Dooku's head and pretty much everybody's head, far more than the movie does or can, and so you really understand why and how Anakin turned to the Dark Side. You understand how much of a turning point his murder of Dooku was. (You al...more
J.M.
This isn't one of my favorites, probably because I'm not a Skywalker fan (neither Anakin nor Luke do anything for me). But I did enjoy the bit more insight the novelization provides into Obi-Wan Kenobi's character as well as Padme/Amidala's. I also liked the little bit more of Zam Wesell the book gives, though admittedly it wasn't much.

Overall, better than Episode II but IMHO not as good as Episode I. What can I say? I prefer Obi-Wan's story to Anakin's.
Callista
Aug 13, 2007 Callista rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: julia Andersen, Paul Bennett
Recommended to Callista by: Cilghal2
Not your typical novelisation of a film. It reads more like something the film could've been based on--more complex, more detailed, really gets into the characters' heads.
Scott Colley
Being an avid fan of Star Wars and having been through my fair share of various installments in the story, I must say that this particular chapter is perhaps my favorite. Thus I approached this book with a fair amount of expectation, hope, and dread. All too often books based on movies fall short of the mark when it comes to doing their cinematic counterparts justice.

Not so with Mr. Stover's retelling of this classic story. Though I am a bit rusty on my Star Wars jargon, Stover makes it easy to...more
Alyssa Archambo
I am a second-generation Star Wars fan, so when my dad bought Revenge of the Sith, I definitely had to borrow it from him and read it. While I enjoyed getting to know the characters in a new way, I wasn't all that impressed with this book. However, that didn't surprise me, because I also wasn't impressed with the movie on which Stover based it.

You do get more from the book than in the movie -- especially in terms of character development. I think that Stover went a lot more into Yoda's feelings...more
Joshua
Anakin Skywalker starts to find himself with conflicting loyalties: to the Jedi Order, which he feels is snubbing him; to his secret wife Padme, whose death he has foreseen; and another to his friend and confidant Palpatine, who may be under Sith influence.

This novelization, in my opinion, sets the bar for what novelizations should be. Matthew Stover goes well beyond merely transcribing the screenplay into prose form. He expands on character motivation and personality, so that things like Anaki...more
Jevron McCrory
This couldn't have been an easy write.

The novelisation of the last movie (well, it was at the time) of the most successful movie franchise in cinema history. And Matthew Stover knocked it outta the park!

What prose! I fell in love with Stover's style almost immediately. He's an incredibly talented writer, poetic without pretension. And he adds SO MUCH to what must have been a bare bones screenplay! (If you didn't buy Anakin's slide to the Dark Side, I INSIST you read this!)

As a saber swinger mys...more
Jacob Ashley
Ok,
I know what you are all thinking "Jacob is just too much of a Star Wars geek to know a crappy book". And you know what? At times I think that I would agree with you but I would like to say this. The book of episode 3 is shockingly very different and much more intense than the movie ever was, and here is the big difference- George Lucas didn't write the book. In this version you actually have depth added to the characters and Anakin isn't a whiny little bitch. He is exactly what he should ha...more
Ploy
The turning point of the entire Star Wars saga is at hand...

I just had to read this again. I can't find the right words to describe how awe-striking this book is. Matthew Stover has such a great talent that I won't be surprised if he becomes the next J.K. Rowling. This is a true Star Wars book... and one of the best ever written.

The civil war in the galaxy is near the end. Chancellor Palpatine was abducted and two Jedi Knights were sent to rescue him. Thus the Republic falls... and the Empire ri...more
Samuel
They really don't lie when they say that this is the turning point of Star Wars. It is truly a masterful book with incredible writing that can definitely warp the mind as much as it had warped Anikan's. People have got to remember that this wasn't just some idea that came to Stover. The entire story and much of the dialogue came from George Lucas' own script. The original script shows as much of the emotion, action, and speaking parts as this book. Stover also adds drama, creativity, and passion...more
Abby
Stover knows what he's doing. This book made me want to rewatch the movies and try the show, and maybe come back to it when I have a better mental image for some of the aliens and tech, but I really enjoyed it. This book was requested by/inflicted upon me to finally give me proper nerd feelings about Star Wars, and it did a damn good job opening the gate.
Darth
This book is the prime example of when a book is better than the movie. The book can go into so much more in depth insights into character motivation and behind the scenes machinations - that the story makes infinitely more sense.

Dont get me wrong, I am a star wars fan and I still saw the movie 3 or 4 times, and I liked it. But I still found myself going - why the &)*%# would they do that? What kind of response is that ? Etc...

I recomend this book to anyone who likes star wars, and especiall...more
Elizabeth
This book was a disappointment.

The story was interesting--compelling, even--but it was so badly written that the prose itself was often distracting. Certainly, many authors have used short, choppy sentences (or even sentence fragments) for dramatic effect, but Stover does it so often that it loses its dramatic appeal and almost degenerates into a parody of itself. Parts of the book read like deliberate emotional manipulation, which is strange, because the story itself IS moving. Combined with St...more
Edward Butler
Stover's really done something impressive here, filling in the motivations and explanations so that this story finally makes sense and bringing the characters to the forefront, instead of the action. Stover is very good at the action sequences, but he understands that the point of them is as a medium to express the essence of characters, whose lives, inasmuch as they are warriors, play out largely in combat.

I'd have to say that it's only in this book that I see what must have been Lucas's inten...more
Jesse Booth
A great adaptation of the movie! It is great to live inside the main character's thoughts and understand what facial expressions in the film really meant. A word of caution to younger readers: this book is pretty dark. Once Anakin submits to the dark side, he does some pretty terrible things.

My sole issue with this book was the way the author would take time out and say things like "this is Anakin Skywalker:" or "this is Mace Windu:" It got pretty repetitive, and could have been integrated into...more
Jennifer Mitchell
I think I've listened to the audio version about a million times. No joke. I think a million, maybe one million and three. I've stopped keeping track.

My 6 year old son loves this story and the audio version is a continuous part of our day.

And the thing is, it's actually pretty good. Maybe not listened to repeatedly over and over good, but good.

Stover was somehow able to make the movie into a complex and entertaining book, filled with great characters and great dialogue.
A truly amazing accomp...more
Shainna
I'm about to blaspheme here, but this book is better than the movie.

This book slows the movie down and explores the characters so Anakin's fall is painfully believable. It takes a line from TPM, "Afraid to lose her, are you?" and shows how important that comment and Anakin's reply were. Anakin didn't fall for power, he fell out of fear.

It takes Padme and gives her the role she should have had in the movie - despite very important scenes being cut - and shows that her death came not from a failed...more
Daniel
Enter Matthew Stover, the author of one of the best Star Wars books out there: Traitor.

Stover saved Episode III.

As a kid, I really enjoyed the Star Wars prequels. But, like many others, as I grew older, I found them to be lacking something. I was old enough by the time that I saw Revenge of the Sith to sense the conflict in myself: the awesome starfighter battles clashed with the sinking feeling in my chest that there should have been more.

There are still parts of the prequels I like, particular...more
Alexander Draganov
If you wondered how the Jedi feel when they use the Force, read this book. Stover knew very well that he can not match the stunning visuals of the movie and that's why he retells this story trough the feelings of the beloved character of Anakin Skywalker, witnessing his horrible fall in the dark. The descriptions of the Emperor are spectacularly chilling and the fights, described trough the feelings in the Force, are unique.
Best "Star Wars" book ever.
Makayla
So I have currently read Star Wars Revenge of the Sith. I have actually read this book many times... The main character is mostly Anakin Skywalker, others include; Padme Amidala, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Palpatine, and many many others. Anakin is faced with many choices. His big choice is if he will turn to the dark side or stay on the light side. When this book took place, it was in a galaxy far away. This book is actually focused on time, long ago. Hard to believe right? Anyways, as Anakin gets these c...more
Revan97
The official novelization of Star Wars Revenge Of The Sith is based on both the story and screenplay by George Lucas. Because of this fact, the book communicates the same story as the movie but with much extended scenes as well as some altered details such as dialog. The tale of Anakin Skywalker's fall to the dark side is nicely fleshed out in this novel and I have to say that once things get rolling the book is hard to put down.

If you plan on reading James Luceno's Labyrinth Of Evil, I suggest...more
Alex Jones
So this was actually genuinely good and far far better than the film. It's got lots of solid Star Wars action and feels like a Star Wars novel along the lines of the few I've read, being about the clash of ideology, rather than sparkly fight scenes as we see in the Revenge of the Sith film. The writing isn't the best I've scene, but it is perfectly serviceable. The real gripe I had was the bizarre two page switches to present tense, which were something like:

This is Character X. He/She feels lik...more
Michaela
With the possible exception of the Darth Bane trilogy, this is the best Star Wars book ever written. Matthew Stover digs down so deep into Anakin turning to the dark side, the relationship between him and Obi-Wan, and how everyone felt at different times. it was written brilliantly. love it! I would definitely reread it :)
Did anyone else think this book was AMAZING? 23 48 Sep 08, 2013 08:08PM
Star Wars #1 Fans: Who is the most powerful sith? 66 36 May 28, 2013 05:13PM
Writing Style 1 8 Apr 28, 2013 01:34PM
Who is the most powerful sith? 2 8 Apr 10, 2013 03:16PM
Do the movies "line up"? 3 12 May 26, 2012 08:22AM
  • Star Wars, Episode II: Attack of the Clones (Star Wars, #2)
  • Labyrinth of Evil (Star Wars: The Dark Lord Trilogy, #1)
  • Battle Surgeons (Star Wars: Clone Wars, #4) (Medstar, #1)
  • Yoda: Dark Rendezvous (Star Wars: Clone Wars, #7)
  • Wild Space (Star Wars: The Clone Wars, #2)
  • Star Wars Episode VI: Return of the Jedi (Star Wars, #6)
  • The Cestus Deception (Star Wars: Clone Wars, #2)
  • No Prisoners (Star Wars: The Clone Wars, #3)
  • Jedi Trial (Star Wars: Clone Wars, #6)
  • Invincible (Star Wars: Legacy of the Force, #9)
  • The Approaching Storm (Star Wars)
  • Fury (Star Wars: Legacy of the Force, #7)
Matthew Woodring Stover is an American fantasy and science fiction author. He is perhaps best known for his Star Wars novels -- Traitor, Shatterpoint, Revenge of the Sith and Luke Skywalker and the Shadows of Mindor. He has also published several pieces of original work, such as Heroes Die, which Stover described as 'a piece of violent entertainment that is a meditation on violent entertainment'....more
More about Matthew Woodring Stover...
Traitor (Star Wars: The New Jedi Order, #13) Heroes Die (The Acts of Caine, #1) Shatterpoint (Star Wars: Clone Wars, #1) Luke Skywalker and the Shadows of Mindor (Star Wars) Blade of Tyshalle (The Acts of Caine, #2)

“The dark is generous and it is patient and it always wins – but in the heart of its strength lies its weakness: one lone candle is enough to hold it back.
Love is more than a candle.
Love can ignite the stars.”
19 likes
“Anakin.” Obi-Wan’s voice had gone soft, and his hand was warm on Anakin’s arm. “There is no other Jedi I would rather have at my side right now. No other man.”

Anakin turned, and found within Obi-Wan’s eyes a depth of feeling he had only rarely glimpsed in all their years together; and the pure uncomplicated love that rose up within him then felt like a promise from the Force itself.

“I… I wouldn’t have it any other way, Master.”

“I believe,” his onetime Master said with a gently humorous look of astonishment at the words coming out of his mouth, “that you should get used to calling me Obi-Wan.”
12 likes