Start by marking “Dirty Laundry” as Want to Read:
Dirty Laundry

Dirty Laundry

2.87 of 5 stars 2.87  ·  rating details  ·  239 ratings  ·  42 reviews
the school:

The Winchester School of the Arts, nicknamed "The Laundromat" because it's where better schools send their "dirty laundry." Get kicked out of Exeter, Hotchkiss, or Choate? End up at Winchester.

the girl:

Carli, a gorgeous pigtailed Hollywood actress going undercover at Winchester to research her role.

the boy:

Fun (short for Fellini Udall Newport), an embittered sen...more
Published December 30th 2008 by Harper Teen (first published January 1st 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Dirty Laundry, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dirty Laundry

Evermore by Alyson NoelNorth of Beautiful by Justina ChenSelina Penaluna by Jan PageThis Lullaby by Sarah DessenBewitching Love Potions & Charms by Raven Tempest
Cover Couples
25th out of 709 books — 560 voters
Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone by J.K. RowlingHarry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince by J.K. RowlingHarry Potter and the Goblet of Fire by J.K. RowlingHarry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban by J.K. RowlingHarry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix by J.K. Rowling
Boarding School Stories
193rd out of 403 books — 547 voters

More lists with this book...

Teen
If I were to sum up my reading experience with Dirty Laundry in one word it would be : TIRESOME. A young actress, who often falls into "guilt spirals", attends a boarding school for misfits under a different name as research for her next TV series. The director of the TV series happens to have a son at the academy who, under duress, to be her assistant. The day before "Sheila Smith" arrives on campus a student disappears, and suspecting foul play "Sheila" and F.U.N. (yes the book is rife with wi...more
Jennifer Wardrip
Reviewed by Jaglvr for TeensReadToo.com

Carli Gemz is going undercover. She's off to the Winchester School of the Arts to get into character for her upcoming TV series, Private Nights. She will have the son of the creator, Fellini Udall Newport (aka FUN) at her disposal as her personal assistant.

Fun has no desire to be the slave to Carli, whom he has to refer to as Sheila Smith, her character's name. Being her assistant is part of the arrangement his father has made with Headmaster Stanton to ke...more
Hollie
This review was first posted on Music, Books and Tea

I picked this up whilst on holiday for about $3. I thought the premise was quite interesting, and figured that as it was published by Harper, it couldn't be that bad, right? I was kinda wrong. This book was alright at best. The plot was very weak, the characters weren't much better, and for such a short book, it took me far too long to read.

What worked for me: Although the plot was weak, I did still want to know what happened at the end, but o...more
E. Anderson
Carli Gemz (pronounced "games") is a teen actress who has just landed a role in a new TV show: Private Nights. Since she'll be playing a bitchy teen queen and a boarding school, Carli is being enrolled undercover at the Winchester School of the Arts, an East coast boarding school where all the freaks, geeks, and would-be criminals are sent after being kicked out of more prestigious academies. With a reputation for harboring the "dirty laundry" of the social elite, Carli knows that the few weeks...more
Stephanie
Dirty Laundry reminded me of Nick and Norah’s Infinite Playlist because of the writing style. Both styles were aimed towards the teens with all the slangs and whatnot and both were styles that I really disliked.

Both characters, Carli and Fun, did not have a lot of depth in their personalities and character-wise. They were both like 2D characters and I was not particularly fond of either one of them.

Sure, the plot itself was fairly interesting but because the writing style irked me, I wasn’t able...more
Sara
2.5 stars. Fun is a teen boy at a boarding school, tasked by his Hollywood father to help "Sheila", a "new student" at the school - really, "Sheila" is an undercover actress named Carli looking to research an upcoming role. Right before Carli arrives, a student disappears, and Carli and Fun decide to take it upon themselves to solve the case, since no one else seems interested in doing so.

Most of this book was pretty average. Carli and Fun alternately narrate the story, which is also broken up i...more
Andrea
Review at The Little Bookworm

Welcome to Winchester School of the Arts, a place where the dirty laundry of other boarding schools is sent, the kids who are too bad to go anywhere else.
Enter Carli Gemz ("games"), a beautiful girl sent by the producer of her new TV show to learn about boarding school and being bad.
Here's Fun (Fellini Udall Newport), the producer's son who is made to be Carli's assistant or else by his dad.
Exit Darcy Novak, one of the good girls at Winchester. She's disappeared and...more
Litbitchbaby
Dirty Laundry was one of those books I picked up on a whim. I was at the library, with a stack of suggested books and it caught my eye. After passing it for the third time I finally picked it up because it had a cute cover, the plot sounded interesting and I thought why not. If it sucks, I'll have one bad review for my blog to give it street cred.

I'm extremely happy I did because Dirty Laundry ended surprising me. The book revolves around two main characters, Carli and Fun. Carli is a C-list act...more
Lela
(Elective reading)

Summary: The Winchester School of the Arts is nicknamed "the laundromat" because of the reputation it has of taking in the screw-ups from the better boarding schools in the area. One of these pieces of dirty laundry is the cynical and trouble-making "Fun" Newport. The other is a young actress named Carli, studying for an upcoming gig she has about the boarding school party life. Fun is to be Carli's personal assistant as she learns. Problem: Darcy Novak, the most popular and pu...more
Laurie
Apr 01, 2009 Laurie added it
Shelves: wmslibrary
Carli, a successful young actress, goes undercover at the Winchester School in New England to prepare for a starring role in Private Nights ("Gossip Girl meets The Facts of Life, but edgier!") But Winchester has its own secrets--top student Darcy Novak has disappeared, and everyone's a suspect. This slight, comedic, and very quirky mystery has an arch tone that may entrance some readers but puzzle others.

(About halfway through I suddenly thought, "Is he satirizing John Green?" The literary allus...more
'Chele
I'm listened to this book, but Good Reads doesn't have that edition as an option, so I chose the book cover. I put it on the "just can't finish" shelf, however, I don't like having things not finished so I struggled through this story, or actually, lack of a story. The plot is rich, mentally messed-up, kids attend a run-down boarding school, and a student goes missing. An actress, learning for her next role, goes to the boarding school and gets involved with the mystery. The story did not catch...more
Stephanie A.
He seems tapped out as far as boarding school novel content goes, since this didn't offer anything new. I almost returned it unfinished, annoyed by the format and the constant flip-flopping between Fun & Carli's voices, but stubbornness kept me going until the slower-than-molasses mystery picked up enough for me to be interested in the answer. (Seriously, I was at least one third of the way through the book and still couldn't figure out why I was supposed to care that Darcy was missing.)
Janelle
This was such a horrible book, I couldn't even finish it. I got to about fifty pages until the end, and just had to stop. I had no idea what the plot was, and nothing had happened over the course of around one hundred pages! The only interesting plot line was that a girl disappeared, and her ex-boyfriend might be a killer. That's it. The rest was really repetitive, and boring. Also, I hated the format of the book, how it alternated between Fun and Carli. Just not my cup of tea.
WCPL Teens
Carli is an actress who's sent undercover to a boarding school to research a role. Fun is the son of the show's producer, and he's forced to act as her "assistant" while she's there. The only glitch is, a student disappeared before school started, so the campus is crawling with rumors. Carli, with Fun's help, decides to tries to unravel the mystery. Told in alternate voices.
 Soph - Lock&Key
This is one of those books that someone like me looks at and thinks "no way, no how". But I ignored my initial thoughts and read it anyway just wanting to read something light and fluffy that would put a smile on my face. It was exactly what I expected, except for the fact that it didnt put a smile on my face it made me cringe but hey what can ya do?
Sheralyn
Very different. Not bad, but I am still not sure what I thought of it. Bizarre is a word that comes to mind. It kept my interest, but the language, as usual, was not necessary and I could really use a good teen writer whom did not find it part of the story. Thank heaven for Alley Carter. Same genre, only better written.
Kate
Undercover teen starlet and trouble-making graffiti artist solve the mystery of a disappeared girl at a boarding school. The characters weren't people I think most could relate to, and the reason behind the girl's disappearance seemed kinda stupid. It was a fairly quick read though, and I enjoyed it overall.
Simplydolphins

3 stars--- Liked the book. There were some spots throughout the book that were either slow or didn’t flow well which was hard for me to keep interest. There were times I had to reread pages just to be able to figure out who someone was, or what they were supposed to be doing. I would resale this book.

Xxcreativebunnyxx
This book is like your typical YA book, except for one add on: mystery.

I like the fact that someone has actually gone missing and the main character has to solve the mystery. If you're someone like me and read a lot of YA you'll find this to be nice b/c you're tired of the same old plot for every YA book.
TheSaint
A cute read with little to no literary value. Not saying that's a bad thing, though when I wasn't paying close attention, I sometimes confused my main characters.
Still, I wasn't expecting War and Peace so no harm!
Recommended for sophomore guys.
Karin
Overly clever he-said/she-said novel about a hollywood actress who goes undercover at a new england boarding school (researching a role) at the same time that a popular girl has gone missing. Fine, quick, read, but nothing special.
Paulina
This book was different, it goes like a diary but for the two main characters. I still found it interesting but difficult to follow. The author mixes too much mystery, romance and other topics. I enjoyed reading it.
Diane
I found this story, written in several different voices, to be confusing and not particularly entertaining at all. Couldn't explain the story line to you if I tried !
Richard (Bound & Determined...)
Not near a good as it could have been, but not as bad as some of the reviews on here suggested it would be. Entertaining and at least a little interesting.
Emyrose8
2.5ish- it was all right. From the back cover, it seemed like the mystery was going to be a bigger part, but it really wasn't. I guess that disappointed me.
Hwendt
I really did not enjoy this book. It was just a bad way of how the author wrote it. It did have a good ending though still I would not recommend it.
Tori
Jul 25, 2011 Tori added it
2010- Didn't like this as much as the other book I've read by the author. The back of the book made it seem much more original than it actually was.
Deyara
Liked the concept, didnt love the execution. Some parts were pretty amusing though. Will probably read more by this author.
Michelle
Can't say much about this who done it ... I didn't really like it... Didn't really hate it ... An overall "meh".
Sterling
Sep 03, 2009 Sterling marked it as to-read
at the moment i am going to pause the book and finished sold because my friend violet said it was a must read book!
  • Fade to Black
  • When Love Comes to Town
  • Must Love Black
  • The School Among the Ruins
  • Beauty Shop for Rent: . . . fully equipped, inquire within
Daniel Ehrenhaft is the author of several dozen books for children and young adults—so many books, in fact, that he has lost count. He has often written under the pseudonym Daniel Parker (his middle name, which is easier to spell and pronounce than his last), and occasionally Erin Haft. He lives in Brooklyn with his wife Jessica, as well as a scruffy dog named Gibby and a psychotic cat named Boots...more
More about Daniel Ehrenhaft...
The Last Dog on Earth 10 Things to Do Before I Die Friend Is Not a Verb Drawing a Blank: Or How I Tried to Solve a Mystery, End a Feud, and Land the Girl of My Dreams The After Life

“Please fut up, Shun,” he interrupted. “Shine, I’ll fut up.” At long last I caught a glimpse of his old smirk. “I thought you wouldn’t poke fun at my peach insteadiment,” he muttered. “But I love peaches.” 2 likes