The White Gates

The White Gates

3.78 of 5 stars 3.78  ·  rating details  ·  107 ratings  ·  31 reviews
WHEN TORIN SINCLAIR’S mom gets a job as the town doctor in Snow Park, Colorado, Tor can’t wait to learn to snowboard. But on Tor’s first night there, a member of the high school snowboarding team dies. “It’s the curse,” everyone whispers. Tor’s new friends Drake and Raine explain that there’s an old Native American curse on the doctors of the town. Snow Park can never get...more
Published November 25th 2008 by Random House Books for Young Readers (first published 2008)

Kendall
A Truman nominee for 2010-2011. A fun read that will appeal to boys and girls. A boy from CA moves to CO with his estranged mother; he learns to snowboard and throws himself into it because he is openly mocked, bullied and shamed around town. Rumor has it that a curse affects the town's doctor and family, and no doctor will stay in town for that reason because fatal accidents seem to happen. The book becomes a mystery as the boy learns more about the curse and tries to figure out how to break it...more
Tyler Frank
“He’s a waster.” “It’s the Curse.” These are some of the mysterious things you hear in the book “The White Gates” by Bonnie Ramthun. The book really reeled me in because of the snow and its interesting name. At first glance I wanted to know what the white gates were, but the inside cover quickly explained to me what they were.
The plot starts out in the small village of Snow Park, where the main character, Torin Sinclair, and his mother move to. His mom is the new town doctor but tor knows inst...more
Tyler
Mar 30, 2011 Tyler added it
Recommends it for: readers of mystery books
Recommended to Tyler by: Kristina chamberlain
The White Gates by Bonnie Ramthum is a great mystery novel. This book fit into the genre because there is a curse that started many years ago and says that every doctor that enters the town is cursed. The main characters are Raine, Drake, tor aka Torin. They are the characters that solve and cease the curse. the resort in Colorado has a curse on doctors. Every doctor that is assigned to the town is cursed. the night the town doctor was assigned. she was called to her office because someone was s...more
Jill Lorentz
I struggled with this one - I liked the characters, but I wasn't crazy about them nor did I connect with anyone very well. This is a neat story about a ski town in Colorado and having recently been exposed to such a magical place for the first time, I'd have to say the author did a great job describing what it's like.
I couldn't help but feel like I was reading a scooby-doo mystery, though, at times. The story was different, but the inclusion of nature and what once was/native heritage seemed to...more
Daniel Callanan
The book "The White Gates" by Bonnie Ramthun was a phenomenal read. The mystery of this story was ingenious, but at times the book seemed like a spooky childhood cartoon.
Although the book had a childish feel to it, I could not put it down. This was a story of Tor Sinclair, and the town that had cursed him. I feel that it was brilliantly plotted. The characters were interesting and all made the story different in their own way and without one character, the rest of the story would not be the sa...more
Richard Cumpston
1. The White Gates
2. Bonnie Ramthun
3. Sports, Mystery
4. 8 points
5. Young Adults
6. A boy moves to the mountains of Colorado for his mother's job as being a nurse. He decides to become a snowboarder. Little does he know that the mountain that he snowboards on is cursed by the Uri Indians that used to own it. Will he find out the mystery or get killed trying. This is a great story for mystery and sport readers alike.
7. I did like this book a lot because I like snowboarding in real life and also I t...more
Lori
I thought it was a pretty good mystery that should especially appeal to boys. The ending dragged on a little too much for me. I found the added facts about the Ute Indians very interesting. I wouldn't have minded a little more about them. I didn't realize that there was some truth to the Meeker story until I later looked it up online. But I think boys should really like the snowboarding scenes. It was a little scary when Tor got caught in the avalanche and was trapped in the cave overnight. It w...more
Mr. Balak
The White Gates is a book about a young boy, 'Tor' Sinclair, who moves to the town of Snow Park, Colorado, as a result of his mother obtaining a position as the new town doctor. However, Tor and his mother soon realized that they are faced with an old, mysterious Native American curse, which directly affects all the doctors in this town as well as Tor, especially when a well-known teen snowboarder mysteriously dies. Tor and his new friends, Drake and Raine, must unravel this mysterious curse of...more
Claire
Feb 21, 2010 Claire rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: guys and girls who like a mystery
Tor's mom has worked and worked to be a doctor. Now she is starting a practice in a small Colorado town and Tor, who has been with his dad, will be joining her.
He is stepping (or should we say sliding) into a big multilayered mystery as it appears that a Ute curse has been laid upon the patients of all the doctors that practice in the town. When a boy dies for no apparent reason and the boys on the local snowboarding team are behaving weirdly, Tor and his new friend get to work finding out what...more
Wendy Meredith
I liked this book, it is very interesting.
Kerri
Susan
Tor and his mother have moved to a small Colorado town in which his mom will be the only doctor. On the very first night, mystery begins to develop. As Tor begins to make friends, "the plot thickens." Tor, a surfer from California, quickly learns how to snowboard and encounters some high adventure on the mountain slopes. Boys especially will enjoy this book, for it contains a lot of information about winter sports, equipment and skill.
Dean Miller
Still getting used to the YA genre. This one definitely should hit in with those readers. Another small town mystery. The character "pods" fit nicely and their differences and conflicts are interspersed so that you see that the groups just aren't going to fit together. This doesn't detour Tor and his friends from seeking the truth, which leads them into a second turn of events which complicates things further.

Enjoyed this.
Tracie
Really liked this one and will start recommending it as soon as I return it. Torin moves to a new town where his mother has been hired as the town doctor. The town isn't very welcoming though - to Tor or his mother. Turns out there is a curse attached to the position of town doctor and if they are going to stay, it looks like Tor and the two people willing to be his friends will have to break the curse.
Kate Hastings
Feb 16, 2014 Kate Hastings rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Grades 6-9 snowboarding mystery
RL 790. Torin moves to Snow Park CO when his mother gets a job as the resort town's doctor. She is busy with a critical case on her very first night, and the townspeople are convinced that it is the "curse." Tor decides to find out what the curse really means, learn how to snowboard and figure out why nobody dares to ski down an abandoned mountain. Great mystery-- boys will eat this UP!
Lisa
The White Gates is an implausible sports/mystery novel but it should appeal to reluctant readers. Tor moves to a small Colorado ski town when his mom takes a job as the local doctor. But a curse has plagued the position for nearly 80 years. Tor decides to get to the bottom of the curse to keep from moving yet again. Along the way he quickly becomes a crack snowboarder.
D.l. Price
I really enjoyed The White Gates. I think the young teens would even enjoy it more. A slight modern day mystery with realism heroes. And the hereos are kids. It was a fun adventure to read yet I felt like this could really happen. It was true to today's world. Loved the snow boarding and the nature concept. I could ready another one of Bonnie Ramthum books.
Patricia
This book didn't get much buzz, but it is just the obscure kind of mystery from the library that I would have enjoyed as a fifth or sixth grade girl. Boys will enjoy the mystery, as well as the snow-boarding action.
Beth O'Connell
I loved this! A student recommended it to me the other day. Perfect for winter, beautifully crafted mystery w/ great characters. I need to look for the sequel!
Pamela
Aug 31, 2009 Pamela rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: MS
OK, some of the events are a bit too coincidental - but the action & Torin's circumstances makes this action book appealing especially to MS boys.
Jordan
Amazing! I couldnt put it down..this was a mystery that kept me on my toes until the very last page and a huge twist turned the whole around!
Heather
Fast paced mystery + snowboarding + potential avalanche + new kid in a small town = solid good YA fiction that will appeal to both boys and girls.
Abby J Reed
Good mystery for boys and for any CO lover--even though she's a female author, the male perspective is really convincing
Jeannie
Mysterious deaths, snowboarding, avalanches, threatened species, and Ute lore...how could you go wrong?
Kyle Jones
boring unless you know alot about snowboarding. i read it just to get it over with but i didn't like it.
Lauren
this book was amazing. it was thrilling and mysterious and sporty, etc. etc. etc.
Teen Reviewers
According to School Library Journal, for grades 6-9.
Lexile Level - 790
Nicole
This was a fun book - it had snowboarding in it and a great mystery.
Mike
Excellent young adult mystery that also appeals to adults.
Cathy Willis
Great snowboarding action book for boys!
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
Earthquake Games (Eileen Reed, #2) Ground Zero (Eileen Reed, #1) The Thirteenth Skull (Eileen Reed, #3) The Night Queen (Templeton-Stone, #1) Blood Print (Templeton-Stone, #0.5)