Start by marking “A Killing Tide (Columbia River, #1)” as Want to Read:
A Killing Tide (Columbia River, #1)

A Killing Tide (Columbia River #1)

3.51 of 5 stars 3.51  ·  rating details  ·  599 ratings  ·  67 reviews
2007 RITA Finalist

WHERE THERE'S SMOKE...
Kaz Jorgensen is used to fear--the anxiety of negotiating treacherous currents as she captains her family's fishing trawlers, the terrifying nightmares of the day she almost lost her life on the river. But now a man is dead, an arsonist has set the Anna Marie ablaze and her brother is missing, accused of both crimes. How much more ca
Mass Market Paperback, 342 pages
Published December 2006 by Love Spell

To ask other readers questions about A Killing Tide, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Killing Tide

Lisa
I love nothing better than a rainstorm when I’m inside with a cup of hot tea and a new book by a new, to me, author. Today I got to discover A Killing Tide by PJ Alderman.

The great state of Oregon and the city of Astoria are as much characters in the story as are Kaz Jorgensen captains her family's fishing trawler, her best friend Lucy McGuire Astoria police detective, Michael Chapman the new fire chief/arson investigator, and the all important Zeke, German Shepherd and canine companion.

The desc
Anita Wilkerson
This is billed as a mystery in Amazon Kindle. It's really a Harlequin Romance wrapped around a mystery. Fun, if you like that sort of thing, but I knew who was going to get the girl in the first five pages, which is why I stopped reading Harlequin Romances at 17. On a postive note, PJ Alderman does a lovely job of describing the small villages which make their living from the sea and the Columbia River. It's not a bad read, just don't look for complexity.
Edie Ramer
It's hard to believe this is a first book, it's so good. Alderman did everything right and I didn't want to stop reading. Kaz Jorgensen takes time out from her successful business in San Francisco to return home to Astoria, Oregon to help save her twin brother's fishing business. Then her twin's best friend is killed, he's the suspect and nowhere to be found. Kaz can't believe he did it, and sets out to prove it.

Michael Chapman, the town's new fire chief, is a former top arson investigator from
With Butterflies
A book I couldn't finish. I like thriller type books, but the romance in this is cheese to the max in a barfable way. If the mystery aspect would have been better I would have been able to overlook the romance dud, but even that part was bad so I had to hit the ol gong about halfway through, ditch it, and delete it from my Kindle.
C.
I love the subject of the paranormal and have found it absent in today’s mysteries. I was thrilled to discover P.J. Alderman, among a few rare authors delving into it. I like to see what else writers have published and noticed her first novel “A Killing Tide” 2006; not paranormal. Hoping the water craft on the cover didn’t indicate military leanings, which aren’t to my taste, I followed my habit of trying all of an author’s work.

It took a while to dig in but not for any lack of action and a wort
Tamara Littrell
The suspense in the storyline was there, enough to keep me reading and the twists with the characters kept me guessing who the killer really was. But...The romance between the two main characters was predictable and unbelievable, giving it a Harlequin Romance feel. Seriously, who feels like having an all-night, marathon-love-making, first-time encounter after you've just been beaten within an inch of your life and have been threatened that you have 24 hours to save your brothers life?
I did think
Connie Jasperson
Today I am not reviewing a fantasy or a scifi book--instead I am reviewing a contemporary thriller, located on the Columbia River, in a town I am most familiar with--Astoria. You may remember the town from the 1985 movie "Goonies."

A Killing Tide, was a RITA finalist and climbed the charts to stay on the New York Times and USA Today bestselling lists for eight weeks. I can tell you why – this book grips you from the first page.

The BLURB:

Where there's smoke...

Kaz Jorgensen is used to fear--the an
Jae
Great book. I simply couldn't put it down. Loved the characters and the details of this fishing village. At times it felt like I was in the middle of it all with rain cutting through the salty air and struggling to maintain balance while guiding a boat at its wheel. The plot was neatly worked out, maintaining the mystery until near the end. Although I was able to guess the killer before the central characters did, the action leading to the resolution kept me enthralled. Can't wait for the sequel ...more
Amanda
I'm torn on deciding if I like this book or didn't. It's well done but seemed to drag along in areas, which caused me to become impatient with the writing - also there were never any hints along the way to keep me interested in where it was going.
Al Canary
I'm at 32% on my Kindle version & am reaching boredom. But because of so many good reviews, I'll slog on. Naaaaah. Finally quit at around 50% due to extreme boredom. (I'm beginning to wonder if the 5 star reviewers are solicited.)
Carolyn
Had to read it because of the local color from my neck of the woods. Bleah! Lots of cliches, poorly edited, a romance worthy of a bodice-ripper, and the killer tipped way early, even for me (I almost never guess them).
Lynn
This book was a good example of a well constructed murder mystery/thriller with a romantic story as a part of the plot. I'm not overly fond of "romance novels," but I found this mystery to be well paced and compelling, and the romance not to be the prime focus of the story, with the mystery as a kind of afterthought as is sometimes the case. I thoroughly enjoyed the book and highly recommend it to others who enjoy a good mystery tale. I plan to see what else this author will be offering in the f ...more
Amy
Kaz Jorgensen has returned to her hometown, a picturesque Oregon fishing community, to help her twin brother with the family boats. But her life is turned upside down when a man is killed, one of her boats explodes, and her brother--considered the primary suspect in the killing and arson--disappears. Hidden undercurrents ripple throughout the community, and Kaz no longer knows who she can trust.

Michael Chapman, the new fire chief in town, has barely unpacked when he finds himself leading an ars
Terri
Decent read. The story was good, the plot thickened, but I was distracted. The characters were pretty good, not real defined personalities, but good, but I was distracted. The story takes place in Astoria, Oregon and I actually lived on the other side of the Astoria bridge in Washington, and my grandfather fished in the very area in the book. That was fun....but there were those distractions. The distractions were the spelling and grammar .....they were not good. Words were left out, the spellin ...more
Wendy Willett
Exciting tale of murder, mystery and finding out what possibilities life could have in store.

Life in a small town becomes dangerous pitting friends and family against each other. Love seeks to complicate matters as this story unfolds. Really good book.
Roy Stephenson
I knew I would like this book by the end of the first page. P. J. Alderman writes an easy to read story with well developed characters and exquisitely developed scenes. Her style guarantees you will turn the next page and probably finish the book before you turn in for the night. That happened to me. Get this book, or any of her books and you will be in for a great read.
Barbara Blanc
This was the first book of this author that I read. I have waited a long time for the sequel to come out. I have it ready to read in my Kindel. Her Ghost stories are also great. This one is deep and a true thriller of a mystery, but the other two are a light fun read. A great new author and I for one hope she writes a lot more.
Kerry
I absolutely loved this book. The perfect combination of mystery and romance. I hope there's a book focusing on Lucy and Gary soon!!!
Marilyn
Good

this was about one small town in Oragon that was full of illgia drugs and dirty cops from the top on down.
Steve Wenn
really good action adventure crime book. going straight on to sequel
Diana
Sep 06, 2011 Diana rated it 2 of 5 stars
Shelves: dnf
DNF. At 50% I have no clue what's going on and I've lost interest. That's far too long to tease me without any reveals. Heroine Kaz is withholding into and lying to her cop bff, ditto lying to hero arson cop in order to protect her twin brother who is withholding info and lying to Kaz.

I'll probably try this author again, but the slow start (halfway?) has caused me to grow impatient with all of the characters' (and the author's) extreme secret keeping.
Eric Wright
I downloaded Alderman's "A Killing Tide," because I wanted to gain a sense of boats and fishing trawlers for a scenario I'm working on in a current project. It gave me good background on the west coast, the Columbia river, and storms. I found the book interesting with fairly well developed characters and plot. Sometimes the story dragged but all in all it was an enjoyable read with the exception of a rather explicite sex scene.
Shawna Fuller
decent read, quick and fun. nothing earth shattering.
Beckie Loquvam
A good story set in Astoria.
Kathleen Rowland
P.J. Alderman is a talented writer of mystery, not to mention scenes so realistic I can smell, feel, see, and taste them. In A KILLING TIDE Kiz Jorgensen is true to her roots and loyalties. She's tough-minded and determined to prove her brother innocent. I HUGELY loved this book and look forward to more from P.J. Alderman.
Lecia Finney
The mystery element of the book was really fun and captivating. Very nicely done.
The romance however-not so much. I understand these types of books have the balance of action and romance, but this was pretty roughly done.
Overall-a good travel type book, easy to read, easy to put down
Heather
Keep in mind the rating is with regard to the "romantic thriller" genre, not literature overall. Not my favorite genre, but it was $0.99. Anyway, there were excerpts of some of her other books at the end of this one, and if they came down to that kind of price, I'd read 'em too.
Rosemarie
I was very surprised when I read this. I wasn't sure I was going to like it, but it was very good. Held my interest, good suspense. The next book in the series was to come out summer 2011, but I can't find it in B&N/Nook. Hmm...I really want to read it!
Reena O'rourke
I thought this book was pretty good. The suspense kept me flipping the pages to uncover more twists and turns, to see if my guesses were right. My main complaint about this book is the soap opera style romance. Felt that it cheapened the mystery a little.
Irene
An excellent book. Story kept me on my toes, provided action drama and a bit of romance. I've liked ever book by PJ Alderman I've read thus far. I'll definitely be reading the next in the series. If you enjoy a good Mystery, you'll enjoy this book!
  • Mortal Pursuit
  • Lost in Shadows (Shadow Ops, #2)
  • Eyewall
  • The Abbey
  • Peppermint Creek Inn (Undercover, #1)
  • Hidden in Plain View:: A Darryl Billups Mystery
  • The Betrayal
  • The Dead Saint
  • A Dozen Deadly Roses
  • Cry of the Needle
  • Twisted Justice
  • The Phoenix Apostles (A Seneca Hunt Mystery #1)
  • First, Do No Harm (Brier Hospital, #1)
  • A Dead Red Heart (A Dead Red #2)
  • All the Blue-Eyed Angels (Erin Solomon Pentalogy, #1)
  • Conflict of Interest
New York Times and USA Today bestselling author P. J. Alderman has spent more than two decades in the Pacific Northwest port towns that inspire her romantic thrillers and mysteries. Her contemporary Columbia River thriller, A Killing Tide, was a RITA finalist and recently climbed the charts to stay on the New York Times and USA Today bestselling lists for eight weeks.

Alderman's Port Chatham cozy m
More about P. J. Alderman...
Haunting Jordan (A Port Chatham Mystery #1) Ghost Ship (A Port Chatham Mystery #2) Phantom River (Columbia River, #2)

“damage” 0 likes