Start by marking “A Killing Tide (Columbia River, #1)” as Want to Read:
A Killing Tide (Columbia River, #1)

A Killing Tide (Columbia River #1)

3.62  ·  Rating Details  ·  930 Ratings  ·  83 Reviews
2007 RITA Finalist

WHERE THERE'S SMOKE...
Kaz Jorgensen is used to fear--the anxiety of negotiating treacherous currents as she captains her family's fishing trawlers, the terrifying nightmares of the day she almost lost her life on the river. But now a man is dead, an arsonist has set the Anna Marie ablaze and her brother is missing, accused of both crimes. How much more ca
Mass Market Paperback, 342 pages
Published December 2006 by Love Spell

To ask other readers questions about A Killing Tide, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Killing Tide

Una Tiers
Jul 18, 2015 Una Tiers rated it liked it
While the Oregon descriptions were nice, this was no more than a bodice, ripper (phrase taken from another review). There is no reality check. The whole attack, emergency room, the ensuing sexual encounter is ridiculous. A sand bar or other obstacle is mentioned several times without an explanation.
Maybe 2.5.
Lisa
Nov 12, 2010 Lisa rated it it was amazing
I love nothing better than a rainstorm when I’m inside with a cup of hot tea and a new book by a new, to me, author. Today I got to discover A Killing Tide by PJ Alderman.

The great state of Oregon and the city of Astoria are as much characters in the story as are Kaz Jorgensen captains her family's fishing trawler, her best friend Lucy McGuire Astoria police detective, Michael Chapman the new fire chief/arson investigator, and the all important Zeke, German Shepherd and canine companion.

The desc
Edie Ramer
Dec 31, 2010 Edie Ramer rated it it was amazing
It's hard to believe this is a first book, it's so good. Alderman did everything right and I didn't want to stop reading. Kaz Jorgensen takes time out from her successful business in San Francisco to return home to Astoria, Oregon to help save her twin brother's fishing business. Then her twin's best friend is killed, he's the suspect and nowhere to be found. Kaz can't believe he did it, and sets out to prove it.

Michael Chapman, the town's new fire chief, is a former top arson investigator from
Anita Wilkerson
Oct 23, 2011 Anita Wilkerson rated it liked it
This is billed as a mystery in Amazon Kindle. It's really a Harlequin Romance wrapped around a mystery. Fun, if you like that sort of thing, but I knew who was going to get the girl in the first five pages, which is why I stopped reading Harlequin Romances at 17. On a postive note, PJ Alderman does a lovely job of describing the small villages which make their living from the sea and the Columbia River. It's not a bad read, just don't look for complexity.
Carolyn
Had to read it because of the local color from my neck of the woods. Bleah! Lots of cliches, poorly edited, a romance worthy of a bodice-ripper, and the killer tipped way early, even for me (I almost never guess them).
Debbie Oxier
Aug 09, 2015 Debbie Oxier rated it really liked it
First book of her I've read and it was a good one. Kaz Jorgensen came home to Astoria Oregon to help her brother, Gary, with their fishing business. She's spent the last few years working in California in her own Fortune 500 consulting company. In spite of that she can still operate a trawler with the best of them. While she's slowly getting the business back on its feet, she still hasn't figured out what was going on with Gary. He's different, more closed off, not talking much and involved in s ...more
C.
Jul 09, 2013 C. rated it liked it
I love the subject of the paranormal and have found it absent in today’s mysteries. I was thrilled to discover P.J. Alderman, among a few rare authors delving into it. I like to see what else writers have published and noticed her first novel “A Killing Tide” 2006; not paranormal. Hoping the water craft on the cover didn’t indicate military leanings, which aren’t to my taste, I followed my habit of trying all of an author’s work.

It took a while to dig in but not for any lack of action and a wort
Tamara Littrell
Aug 25, 2012 Tamara Littrell rated it it was ok
The suspense in the storyline was there, enough to keep me reading and the twists with the characters kept me guessing who the killer really was. But...The romance between the two main characters was predictable and unbelievable, giving it a Harlequin Romance feel. Seriously, who feels like having an all-night, marathon-love-making, first-time encounter after you've just been beaten within an inch of your life and have been threatened that you have 24 hours to save your brothers life?
I did think
Connie Jasperson
Jul 25, 2014 Connie Jasperson rated it it was amazing
Today I am not reviewing a fantasy or a scifi book--instead I am reviewing a contemporary thriller, located on the Columbia River, in a town I am most familiar with--Astoria. You may remember the town from the 1985 movie "Goonies."

A Killing Tide, was a RITA finalist and climbed the charts to stay on the New York Times and USA Today bestselling lists for eight weeks. I can tell you why – this book grips you from the first page.

The BLURB:

Where there's smoke...

Kaz Jorgensen is used to fear--the an
Jae
May 23, 2011 Jae rated it it was amazing
Great book. I simply couldn't put it down. Loved the characters and the details of this fishing village. At times it felt like I was in the middle of it all with rain cutting through the salty air and struggling to maintain balance while guiding a boat at its wheel. The plot was neatly worked out, maintaining the mystery until near the end. Although I was able to guess the killer before the central characters did, the action leading to the resolution kept me enthralled. Can't wait for the sequel ...more
Nigel
Nov 24, 2015 Nigel rated it really liked it
Thoroughly enjoyable ‘detective’ story with a difference, the difference being that a lot of the detective work is undertaken by the fire chief as he investigate a case of arson. The story is set in a small US town where the majority of people are involved in the failing fishing business. Behind this there are a couple of cliché storylines, new comer to town (the fire chief) struggles to get accepted by the tight community, and local sheriff has it in for one member of the town and will seemingl ...more
With Butterflies
Mar 19, 2012 With Butterflies rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
A book I couldn't finish. I like thriller type books, but the romance in this is cheese to the max in a barfable way. If the mystery aspect would have been better I would have been able to overlook the romance dud, but even that part was bad so I had to hit the ol gong about halfway through, ditch it, and delete it from my Kindle.
Ted Tayler
Aug 04, 2015 Ted Tayler rated it really liked it
"Stormy waters"

The life of a fisherman is hard; of that there is no doubt. Men and women who put to sea in treacherous waters deserve our utmost admiration. 'A Killing Tide' gives you a salty taste of the sense of danger that is ever-present. In this story the dangers are ashore as well as at sea. A typically insular local community that mistrusts incomers is the setting for a brutal murder; the main suspect is our heroine's twin brother. Kaz Jorgensen is determined to clear her brother's name a
Fran Hansen
Nov 25, 2015 Fran Hansen rated it it was amazing
I was "spooked" by 757 pages but thought the synopsis was interesting so I took a chance. The first time I took a breath, I was on page 103! This is a very well-written book and flows so smoothly. I like that there's a lot of dialogue as compared to some books. I'm anxious to read the second in this series, although I do want to point out that this book is NOT a cliffhanger. You'll just want more of the writing style and story. I'm not totally familiar with the northwest but this book makes me w ...more
Lynn
Jul 07, 2014 Lynn rated it it was amazing
This book was a good example of a well constructed murder mystery/thriller with a romantic story as a part of the plot. I'm not overly fond of "romance novels," but I found this mystery to be well paced and compelling, and the romance not to be the prime focus of the story, with the mystery as a kind of afterthought as is sometimes the case. I thoroughly enjoyed the book and highly recommend it to others who enjoy a good mystery tale. I plan to see what else this author will be offering in the f ...more
Amy
May 19, 2011 Amy rated it it was amazing
Kaz Jorgensen has returned to her hometown, a picturesque Oregon fishing community, to help her twin brother with the family boats. But her life is turned upside down when a man is killed, one of her boats explodes, and her brother--considered the primary suspect in the killing and arson--disappears. Hidden undercurrents ripple throughout the community, and Kaz no longer knows who she can trust.

Michael Chapman, the new fire chief in town, has barely unpacked when he finds himself leading an ars
Black Butterfly
Jun 26, 2015 Black Butterfly rated it liked it
Recommends it for: ADULTS
Recommended to Black Butterfly by: AMAZON
A MURDER-MYSTERY-THRILLER-SUSPENCE-ROMANCE ALL THIS GOING ON IN A VERY SMALL TOWN. THE TOWN IS FULL OF SECRETS ALONG WITH CHANGING TIMES SEEMS LIKE SOME OF THE SECRETS ARE ACTUALLY KILLING PEOPLE. MICHEAL & KAZ HAD AN ITCH, FUNNY HOW THE HARDER YOU TRY NOT TO SCRATCH THE MORE YOU WANT TO. THEY HAD A HABIT OF THE “MAYBE, MAYBE NOT’S “ALL THE TIME. THE SECRET PART WAS DRAWN OUT WAY, WAY TOO LONG TO ME. I FIGURED OUT AT 11% WHO IT WAS. DUG-DUH-DAAA! ;
Terri
Jul 09, 2012 Terri rated it liked it
Decent read. The story was good, the plot thickened, but I was distracted. The characters were pretty good, not real defined personalities, but good, but I was distracted. The story takes place in Astoria, Oregon and I actually lived on the other side of the Astoria bridge in Washington, and my grandfather fished in the very area in the book. That was fun....but there were those distractions. The distractions were the spelling and grammar .....they were not good. Words were left out, the spellin ...more
Wendy Willett
Aug 17, 2014 Wendy Willett rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Exciting tale of murder, mystery and finding out what possibilities life could have in store.

Life in a small town becomes dangerous pitting friends and family against each other. Love seeks to complicate matters as this story unfolds. Really good book.
Roy Stephenson
Oct 24, 2014 Roy Stephenson rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I knew I would like this book by the end of the first page. P. J. Alderman writes an easy to read story with well developed characters and exquisitely developed scenes. Her style guarantees you will turn the next page and probably finish the book before you turn in for the night. That happened to me. Get this book, or any of her books and you will be in for a great read.
Barbara Blanc
Mar 10, 2014 Barbara Blanc rated it it was amazing
This was the first book of this author that I read. I have waited a long time for the sequel to come out. I have it ready to read in my Kindel. Her Ghost stories are also great. This one is deep and a true thriller of a mystery, but the other two are a light fun read. A great new author and I for one hope she writes a lot more.
Michelle
Dec 17, 2014 Michelle rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Second book by this author, very good

The story was mysterious with believable characters with flaws and strengths. The mystery was good and did a good job putting romance with it without either overwhelmingly the other. Have this author on my "will read again" list
Leonard
Dec 24, 2014 Leonard rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Killing to tide

Giving this book a 5 it kept me from putting it down and I am going to have to find more of pm Anderson's books
Kerry
Aug 22, 2014 Kerry rated it it was amazing
I absolutely loved this book. The perfect combination of mystery and romance. I hope there's a book focusing on Lucy and Gary soon!!!
Marilyn
Nov 13, 2014 Marilyn rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good

this was about one small town in Oragon that was full of illgia drugs and dirty cops from the top on down.
Robin Green
Apr 25, 2016 Robin Green added it
Shelves: mystery
I really liked this book. From the first page, I just couldn't put it down.
Linda
Sep 01, 2015 Linda rated it liked it
Kindle book. Fast read. Decent plot and characters. No obvious proofing errors.
Jill
Nov 24, 2014 Jill rated it really liked it
I enjoyed the book but it seemed to drag in places.
Michelle
Apr 11, 2016 Michelle rated it it was ok
Very easy to figure out who the bad guy was.
Steve Wenn
Jul 20, 2014 Steve Wenn rated it really liked it
really good action adventure crime book. going straight on to sequel
  • Lost in Shadows (Shadow Ops, #2)
  • Mortal Pursuit
  • Eyewall
  • Peppermint Creek Inn (Undercover, #1)
  • The Betrayal
  • Riptide
  • Twisted Justice
  • Just Run
  • Deadly Dance (A-Tac, #5)
  • Cry of the Needle
  • First, Do No Harm (Brier Hospital, #1)
  • Of Mice and Murderers (Z Series)
  • The Phoenix Apostles (A Seneca Hunt Mystery #1)
  • Lust (Lust, Money & Murder, #1)
  • A Dozen Deadly Roses
  • Wyatt's Revenge
  • Hidden in Plain View (A Darryl Billups Mystery)
New York Times and USA Today bestselling author P. J. Alderman has spent more than two decades in the Pacific Northwest port towns that inspire her romantic thrillers and mysteries. Her contemporary Columbia River thriller, A Killing Tide, was a RITA finalist and recently climbed the charts to stay on the New York Times and USA Today bestselling lists for eight weeks.

Alderman's Port Chatham cozy m
More about P.J. Alderman...

Columbia River (2 books)
  • Phantom River (Columbia River, #2)

“damage” 0 likes