Start by marking “The Judge” as Want to Read:
The Judge

The Judge

3.46 of 5 stars 3.46  ·  rating details  ·  50 ratings  ·  12 reviews
It was not because life was not good enough that Ellen Melville was crying as she sat by the window.
Published July 10th 1980 by TRAFALGAR SQUARE + (first published 1922)

To ask other readers questions about The Judge, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Judge

Ali
Rebecca West’s 1922 second novel is much longer than her wonderful first novel; The Return of the Soldier. It is a complex, densely written novel with some breath-taking descriptions of Scottish and English landscape. It is also – I can see from other reviews – one capable of dividing opinion. I suspect it is that highly descriptive dense writing that some readers dislike, while others may find the highly dramatic melodrama of the end of the novel at odds with what had come before it.

“Ellen tho
Rebecca
Mummy's boy gets stabby.
Moral of the story - beautiful people are better, except when they're not mumsie.
Lauren
Impossible to rate.

I thought this was a very interesting book although a failure as a novel. It really went off the rails at the end. Knowing a bit about West's life made the characters of Ellen and Marion interesting but as a writer, she really lost control of the material in the last third of the book.

I'm not sure I have ever read such beautiful descriptions of the natural world or a more truthful portrayal of the extreme emotions of motherhood.

In truth, the book scared me a little.
J.
Somebody else's cup of tea, maybe. Rebelliously feminist for 1922, I suppose, if deliriously dreamy crush diaries may be said to fit in with suffragette boilerplate. But by turns too la-di-dah and then wordily lovey-dovey. Which is where I leave off. And that's right where I left it. See you on the barricades, sis.
Joyce
This is an excellent study of Marion, whom some would say was a bad mother, but she was very complex. West gives many reasons for her acting and thinking as she does. No one was harder on her than herself. She tries repeatedly to overcome feelings that it seems unfortunately reasonable for her to have. Her failing, and that of Ellen the youngest character, was that they were mired in romantic thinking (and the restrictions of a sexually repressive society). Everything that didn't exemplify perfe ...more
Chrissie
Sep 04, 2012 Chrissie marked it as own-unread
Shelves: gutenberg, kindle
I want to read a novel by Rebecca West, since I adored Black Lamb and Grey Falcon. This I found free at Gutenberg. I really wonder if it is worth reading...... I would rather try The Return of the Soldier by West.

Thist was also the first time I have managed to get a Gutenberg book into my Kindle. YAY!
LC
If it weren't for the subjective depictions of nature which pervaded throughout the book and which served as if an essential foreground on which the main characters' souls were reflected, vaguely, lonely, yet beautifully--- and not to mention the odd quality of the book as a whole-- I was gladly surprised.

This read is my first take on Rebecca West. And I must say that I look forward on discovering more of her works in the future.
Karen
This book started out as a suffragette's journey and ended up with the most bizarre series of events I can remember. Melodramatic to say the least.

I'll enjoy getting in on the Goodreads conversation. West's descriptions of nature are exquisite, though.

If I had to give stars it would be 3.5.
Allison C. McCulloch
Sep 01, 2013 Allison C. McCulloch marked it as to-read
I wrote this book down on a list a million years ago and have no idea what this is or what the context is of why I wanted to read it.
Joy Stephenson
This book has the worst excesses of Hardy and D.H. Lawrence without any of their redeeming features.
Alice Handley
One of those books where all the problems would be solved if the characters could just get a fricking grip.
Luann
Much difficulty with this one but in the end I admire it very much. Still processsing the ending.
Brittney
Brittney marked it as to-read
Nov 16, 2014
Jason
Jason marked it as to-read
Nov 09, 2014
Carolyn
Carolyn marked it as to-read
Oct 29, 2014
Vanessa
Vanessa marked it as to-read
Oct 20, 2014
Huma
Huma marked it as to-read
Oct 13, 2014
Elizabeth
Elizabeth is currently reading it
Oct 08, 2014
Michele Myer
Michele Myer marked it as to-read
Oct 07, 2014
Candiss
Candiss marked it as to-read
Sep 30, 2014
Kara Martin
Kara Martin marked it as to-read
Sep 28, 2014
john palmer
john palmer marked it as to-read
Sep 17, 2014
Fiona
Fiona added it
Sep 01, 2014
Denitch Mallory
Denitch Mallory marked it as to-read
Aug 31, 2014
Jennifer Stoloff
Jennifer Stoloff marked it as to-read
Aug 28, 2014
Estelle
Estelle marked it as to-read
Aug 27, 2014
Bruna
Bruna marked it as to-read
Aug 16, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
Virago Modern Cla...: The Judge by Rebecca West 32 27 Sep 07, 2013 01:20PM
  • Frost in May
  • A Wreath of Roses
  • Invitation to the Waltz
  • The Rising Tide
  • The Skin Chairs (VMC)
  • Miss Mole (A Virago modern classic)
  • Olivia: A Novel
  • No Signposts in the Sea
  • Your Money or Your Life: Economy and Religion in the Middle Ages
  • The Water of the Wondrous Isles
  • William - An Englishman
Cicely Isabel Fairfield (21 December 1892-15 March 1983), known by her pen name Rebecca West, or Dame Rebecca West, DBE was an English author, journalist, literary critic and travel writer. A prolific, protean author who wrote in many genres, West was committed to feminist and liberal principles and was one of the foremost public intellectuals of the twentieth century. She reviewed books for The T ...more
More about Rebecca West...
The Return of the Soldier Black Lamb and Grey Falcon The Fountain Overflows The Birds Fall Down Cousin Rosamund (VMC)