Start by marking “Columbo: The Helter Skelter Murders” as Want to Read:
Columbo: The Helter Skelter Murders

Columbo: The Helter Skelter Murders (Columbo (Tor Series) #2)

The wife of a wealthy Los Angeles businessman is found murdered in her bed with her lover, with the words Helter Skelter painted in blood on the walls. Columbo, America's favorite TV detective, must ask himself whether the horror of the Manson himself is ordering a fresh new round of atrocities from his San Quentin prison cell?

To solve this case Columbo will have to face e
Published July 15th 1995 by Forge Books (first published 1994)

To ask other readers questions about Columbo, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Columbo

Aug 05, 2016 Marla rated it liked it
I forgot how much I love it when Columbo is walking away and turns and says something like, "Uh, sorry, something is bugging me so I just have one more question?" I don't remember him having a Mrs. Columbo on the TV series, but I like him referring to her.

Lost this book on my desk at work. :D

The book opens with Columbo arriving at the original Manson murder scene. Then the Khoury murder unfolds from the murderer's point of view and then Columbo shows up to investigate. There was no real mystery
Gregory Mcdonald
Jul 30, 2011 Gregory Mcdonald rated it really liked it
A fun read for any long time fan of Columbo on television. More graphic and violent the any of his on screen cases to be sure,but you kind of have to assume that from the title. Let's be honest you can't write a book conected in any way to one of the most brutal crimes in American history and have it be PG rated. Despite these chanages from the screen presentation Harrington stil manages to capture and bring to life all the little quirks and conventions that have made Columbo one of the most ico ...more
Oct 18, 2011 Nicolas rated it liked it
This was a pretty average Columbo story. It was decent, but not particularly interesting or suspenseful. A problem I have with the series is the author's need to have it tie in to some famous case. (Book 1 was JFK, this was Charles Manson, the next is Jimmy Hoffa.) It takes away the simplicity of Columbo's style. I also feel like he gives you a little too much insight into Columbo's thought process. Once of the great things about the TV series was that you just never knew what was rattling aroun ...more
Mar 16, 2013 J.M. rated it liked it
I'm not a huge Columbo fan (not like my sister), but I do enjoy the TV shows, mostly because the mystery isn't who did it but rather how Columbo catches him. I'm not a big mystery fan and like being told upfront who did the deed.

This book is fast-paced and engaging. I read it quickly, and enjoyed the way it mirrors the television show. I thought the whole Manson family connection was tenuous at best, but overall I enjoyed it. I'd read more in this series.
Oct 18, 2012 Cindy rated it liked it
This was the last in this series I had to read. I think it was,by far, the BEST. I loved how Columbo was able to stay so cool while talking with Charles Manson. Brrrrrr! Gives me the chills just thinking about it.
Gail rated it really liked it
Nov 13, 2012
Kent rated it liked it
Sep 02, 2015
Angel rated it liked it
Feb 26, 2013
Donald rated it really liked it
Sep 12, 2016
Marty rated it it was ok
Oct 20, 2014
Jon rated it did not like it
Oct 23, 2007
Lisa rated it liked it
Oct 19, 2015
Meg rated it liked it
Feb 25, 2016
Brian rated it liked it
Aug 02, 2012
Matt rated it really liked it
Sep 01, 2013
Book rated it really liked it
Jul 18, 2011
Mike rated it liked it
Aug 15, 2011
Brian Pappas
Brian Pappas rated it it was ok
Mar 09, 2015
Blaire rated it really liked it
Mar 19, 2015
Bob Griffith
Bob Griffith rated it really liked it
Feb 14, 2012
Katherine Byrd
Katherine Byrd rated it liked it
Apr 23, 2015
Iain Croll
Iain Croll rated it really liked it
Feb 15, 2016
Don rated it liked it
Jul 27, 2011
Kim Hay
Kim Hay rated it really liked it
Sep 28, 2015
Thomas Gauld
Thomas Gauld rated it it was amazing
Jan 09, 2015
Amanda rated it liked it
Dec 20, 2014
Kelly rated it did not like it
Dec 29, 2013
Chris Blasetti
Chris Blasetti rated it liked it
Feb 21, 2013
Janine Fenton
Sep 16, 2015 Janine Fenton rated it really liked it
Shelves: mysteries-read
an enjoyable quick read if you like the TV show.
« previous 1 3 next »

Columbo (Tor Series) (6 books)
  • The Grassy Knoll (Columbo)
  • Columbo: The Hoffa Connection