Start by marking “The Ultimates 2, Vol. 1: Gods and Monsters” as Want to Read:
The Ultimates 2, Vol. 1: Gods and Monsters

The Ultimates 2, Vol. 1: Gods and Monsters (The Ultimates trade paperbacks #3)

4.05 of 5 stars 4.05  ·  rating details  ·  1,619 ratings  ·  49 reviews
It's been one year since they stopped an alien invasion, and now things get hard. New members, new costumes, and 12 months of gossip to catch up on Who's getting married? Who's divorced? Who's gone nuts since we last saw them? Why, just in this first story, we see Ultimate Hulk and the secret origin of Ultimate Thor, and get a look at the entire Ultimate Universe as drawn ...more
Published September 20th 2006 by Marvel (first published 2005)

To ask other readers questions about The Ultimates 2, Vol. 1, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Ultimates 2, Vol. 1

Watchmen by Alan MooreThe Complete Maus by Art SpiegelmanV for Vendetta by Alan MooreThe Sandman, Vol. 1 by Neil GaimanBatman by Frank Miller
Required Reading Graphic Novels
189th out of 760 books — 1,227 voters
Captain America by Ed BrubakerCaptain America by Ed BrubakerCaptain America by Ed BrubakerCaptain America by Ed BrubakerThe Ultimates 2, Vol. 1 by Mark Millar
Best of Captain America!
5th out of 75 books — 16 voters

More lists with this book...

Shelby *wants some flying monkeys*
3.5 stars rounded up to 4.

This is a year after the first book The Ultimates and Bruce Banner's identity as the Hulk has been leaked to the press and he is headed for trial.
Boo..Hiss. I liked Hulk smashing stuff.

You've got Captain America shacked up with the Wasp after she makes it through Giant man's abuse from the last book.
Then they decide that since Thor isn't controlled that he needs to be and they take down the man. He gives them hell though.

Great illustrations and an interesting story.
Kemper
A year after stopping the Hulk’s rampage in New York and then beating an army of alien invaders to save the world, The Ultimates are now famous heroes whose popularity has made their government sponsors SHIELD incredibly powerful and influential.

But it isn’t all peaches and gravy. SHIELD covered up that the Hulk is really the nerdy scientist Bruce Banner whose transformation was caused by a super soldier serum he was developing on the government dime so Banner spends his days hidden away and do
Brad
I've not been the biggest fan of Mark Millar's Ultimates. My boyhood favourite, Captain America, became an unrecognizable bully with questionable ethics; S.H.I.E.L.D. and Nick Fury turned into ultra-violent goon boys for Homeland Security; the Hulk cover-up betrayed most of what I knew about the individuals who made up the group formerly known as the Avengers; the political criticism that I loved as a kid -- the Marvel Universe that helped to shape who I am -- seemed gone, never to return. It wa ...more
Stephen
4.0 to 4.5 stars. I am a fan of the "Ultimate" universe and I really enjoy seeing classic characters portrayed in a more modern, more realistic fashion. The character of Thor really shines in this graphic novel as does Captain America. I thought the storyline was well done and interesting and I look forward to reading the next book in the series, Ultimates 2 Volume 2: Grand Theft America.
Gavin
A very solid Volume 2, Ultimates 2 picks up after the defeat of the alien invasion of Earth. Bruce Banner is locked up after word is leaked that he is the Hulk, and Hank Pym is no longer on the team after his run ins with Janet and Cap.
Thor is continuing his role here as the moral objection to the militarization of the team, which leads to a showdown later on.
Millar has turned down the macho bravado and trash TV aspects that kept the first Volume from being a pure classic.

We also see Matt Murdoc
Jessica
Frankly one of the best comics I've read lately. Poor Bruce Banner, though! Geez. Also, I've never read anything with Ant Man in it, and I've always thought he sounded lame. Yep. "I am summoning the ants!" "Hurry!" "Sorry, there's only like . . . forty ants in this warehouse." BWAHAHAHAHA! Terrible!
Paul
I really enjoy this stuff. The Ultimates line is a perfect venue to take classic heroes and make them for mature audiences, realigning their origins, motivations, relationships, etc. It's basically a great big grim "What If" series with its own continuity.

And when it's played right, it's a damn big bulge of fun. Too often, though, it's played for shock value. Let me be clear of one of my philosophies... shock value is THE WORST WRITING TOOL IN THE WORLD. Why? Because shock value demands to be t
Hermina Oláh Vass
I don't know what to say about the Ultimates anymore. It's so very amazing and utterly ridiculous at the same time. The Ultimates 2 is packed with much more action, Gods and monsters leaves you on such a cliffhanger I can hardly catch my breath. But even that can't erase some god-awful issues. What's up with this Tony-Natasha marriage nonsense? Those few cheesy scenes took away both character's edges. Not to mention Jarvis?! The cocky butler act just isn't working for me. But all this is garnish ...more
Federiken Masters
Jun 03, 2012 Federiken Masters rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Casi todo el mundo.
Recommended to Federiken by: Casi todo
No solo está al nivel de The Ultimates 1 sino que por momentos lo supera. ¡Y eso que todavía me falta el segundo tomo! La verdad que la película de los Vengadores me encantó, pero leyendo estos Ultimates de Millar, tan verosímiles y logrados, me dan ganas de que Whedon hubiera robado un poquito más de estos impresentables.
Beckiezra
This would have benefitted from being read in order rather than last, and I almost want to start all over and read them all in the right order this time. I didn't really care about the characters or plot. It was boring for the first half, then was more interesting when the action picked up some and Thor's (possible? I can't recall if he's really just crazy or if his explanation is right) origin was discussed. At the moment I can't recall why I decided to give it 3 stars instead of something less ...more
Crystal Starr Light
Continuing to be impressed and entertained. I love the realism--Captain America's 40's ways coupled with Jan's growing disgust for it. How Bruce Banner is dealt with. Poor Thor. There were some bumps, but overall, I can't wait for volume 2.
Lloyd
If I could rate in half stars, I may have given this one a 3.5.

In this volume, we check back in on The Ultimates a year after them having thwarted an alien invasion that would have destroyed Earth had they not been there to stop it. Now, there is public outcry for a punishment of Bruce Banner for the hundreds of people he killed during a Hulk rampage and we're not really sure if Thor is the mythical Norse legend we've all grown to love or just some crazy schizophrenic with a high tech armor and
Erik
When the going is good, keep it going I say. And that is exactly what Millar, Hitch, et al did after their ground-breaking first series. Volume one reminds me a lot of volume one from the first series in that there is a major focus on character development and relationships – with a dysfunctional emphasis on the latter – as well as an all-team brawl against one of their own; this time the supposed Norse god of thunder, Thor.

Also, Millar and Hitch punch it up a little by having the ousted Hank P
La Espada en la Tinta
El escocés lo ha vuelto a hacer. Me ha tenido enganchado a este tercer volumen protagonizado por los Ultimates como quien comienza a comer un merengue y no puede parar, como quien degusta un buen filete sazonado y preparado a su gusto que ha alcanzado el sumun de la perfección. Dioses y monstruos define demasiado bien lo que siempre he pensado de esta serie que desde 2002 continúa sembrando opiniones en el cosmos de las reseñas de internet, los círculos sociales y el mundo editorial. Watchmen ha ...more
Stacey
Gods and Monsters sort of says it all. This first volume focuses on Thor and the question of his sanity and on the Hulk and his trial for the death of 800 New Yorkers.

The Ultimates is a dark series. I like the ambiguity of Thor's divinity. Is he a Norse god or is he insane? That was some of my favourite writing in the series. I liked the way Bruce Banner was handling his trial for his actions as the Hulk. While I didn't like the way Nick Fury handled the verdict, I liked that it was how I expec
Phillip Berrie
After accepting that nothing was sacrosanct (see my comment about the first Ultimates' story), it was a lot of fun seeing what Millar did with the Ultimates' version of the Marvel universe. I also have to say that a lot of what he has happens makes a great deal of sense considering these public heroes can only exist with the sanction of the public and its institutions.

I'm very tempted to give some examples, but that would be too spoiler-ish. So let me just say that there is very little fighting
Sineala
Bruce is put on trial for being the Hulk and killing eight hundred civilians! Thor is maybe a paranoid schizophrenic! Hank has some issues!

Oh boy all the grimdark. Woo.
Sean Brennan
This edition nicely lays the ground work for the finale. I completely found myself siding with Thor throughout the story, as obviously a team of super heroes and scientific research based around their powers, financed by Central Government, well draw your own conclusions of what would happen. Similarly the whole idea of Captain America, would HE ever be open to political debate, I wonder. The artwork as usual was great, but full marks to the overall story, and the whole notion of difference and ...more
M
With the Ultimates finally in place, the wheels begin to come off the team following an incursion into the Middle East. Banner is outed as the Hulk and sent for public execution, Giant-Man has been fired, Thor is depowered and locked away as a lunatic, and Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch are sibiling - who are dating. Though Thor claims his brother Loki is behind it all, the death of Hawkeye's family, the imprisonment of Captain America, and the betrayal of Black Widow leave the Ultimates at their ...more
Eric
"marvel avengers at their best"

after reading, the first story arc of the ultimates, i was intrigued by the direction of the characters (although turned off by ironmans suit), and felt it was good. however, what millar does in this volume is ridiculous (in comparison). twists, turns, and inter office affair, one would think this was avengers soap opera, but this is by far the best of the ultimates volumes, with a cliff hanger that made the wait for the second volume seem like forever.

also, bryan
AGraphicMaduck
really like this take on the avengers...
Sean Brennan
One of the best story arcs I have read. Impeccable artwork and a wonderful script and storyline, what stands out for me is Millar's uncompromising attack on US foreign policy, the sheer hypocracy involved at the highest political levels, the story will stay with me a long time.
Borax
Read this with my son. I enjoyed how the artists used the likenesses of the actors from the films. Like most comic books from this series...there is way too much rising action as opposed to actual action...do I care that giant man beds a teenager? Do I care that captain America doesn't quite gel with his hot to trot girlfriend? No no no. The action was ok...not great...I'm waiting for griff to get old enough to enjoy batman...that, my friends, is good comic book reading.
Phillip Goodman
quite possibly better than number 1, makes some of the bravest decisions i have ever seen in the world of comics, and despite the fact that i have already read the comparatively dissapointing number 3 and thus allready know somethings about what happens in this it doesn't diminish the book nor my enjoyment of it, not even slightly. a very affecting, and effective book, it creates a sense of realism and in atleast one scene allmost had me crying.
Katie
Much shorter than "homeland security," and ends on a cliffhanger. Is Thor really delusional, or is Loki distorting reality? Will The Defenders train up and become human heroes? Did Bruce Banner really die? Who outed him as Hulk? Why was Natasha's only job in this story arc to get proposed to by Iron Man? That said, conversations on mental illness are hopefully up next. Just have to get my hands on the next issue...
Fizzgig76
Reprints Ultimates 2 #1-6. The Ultimates try to clean up the mess created by the Hulk, deal with Hank's beating of Jan, and learn that one of their members might be insane. This series is really picking up speed in this collection. The ideas presented in it are interesting and their delivery is good. The ending of this collection does make you question who is sane and who is insane.
Richard
I really enjoyed reading Gods and Monsters. Mike Millar does a great job with the storylines and improves on the previous 2 Ultimates graphic novels. I am not going to give the plot away...But I appreciate the realism Mike Millar has interjected into this series. Can't wait to get my hands on the next one.
Chris
This is a great follow-up to the first Ultimates series so far. I like seeing superheroes a little more fleshed out than how I remember them as being flat and 2-D. The twist at the end has me looking forward to the next volume. (view spoiler)
Kendal
I'm still stuck mostly liking the idea of Ultimates and many things about the worldbuilding, and yet hating a lot of things about the execution. Like how a lot of the characters are huge dickbags. And I really, really hate Cap's characterization in this. Hate it.
Matt
I usually don't like superteams, because they're too many characters with too much power and too many back stories that so much gets left out, but Mark Millar adds such beautiful interpretations of these characters. Just read the darn book.
  • Ultimate Spider-Man, Vol. 13: Hobgoblin
  • Ultimate Fantastic Four, Vol. 3: N-Zone
  • Ultimate X-Men, Vol. 13: Magnetic North
Mark Millar is an award-winning Scottish comic book writer born in Coatbridge. Now a resident of Glasgow, Millar has been the highest selling British comic-book writer working in America this decade. His best known works include: The Authority, Ultimates 1 and 2, adaptations of Jack Kirby's and Stan Lee's Avengers, Wanted, Marvel Knights Spider-Man, Ultimate Fantastic Four, and Civil War. In Augus ...more
More about Mark Millar...

The Ultimates trade paperbacks (7 books)
  • The Ultimates, Vol. 1: Super-Human
  • The Ultimates, Vol. 2: Homeland Security
  • The Ultimates 2, Vol. 2: Grand Theft America
  • The Ultimates 3: Who Killed the Scarlet Witch?
  • Ultimate Annuals, Vol. 1