The Gingerbread Architect: Recipes and Blueprints for Twelve Classic American Homes

4.21 of 5 stars 4.21  ·  rating details  ·  24 ratings  ·  5 reviews
What happens when an architect who is also an avid baker gets together with a house-obsessed pastry chef? Twelve classic American homes rendered in gingerbread.

Are you dreaming of a colonial Christmas? Here’s your chance to build a traditional Cape Cod house in freshly baked gingerbread, complete with breath-mint pinnacles, Twizzler shingles, and a brick-red fruit-leather...more
Published October 21st 2008 by Clarkson Potter

To ask other readers questions about The Gingerbread Architect, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Gingerbread Architect

Sara

This book is so cool! Thinking about making a gingerbread house but don't want to churn out some sticky, overdone thing that should have an evil witch living inside it? Check this out.

The book is divided into 2 sections. The front section is high gloss detailed color photos of the different houses and their landscapes, basic instructions and modification suggestions, as well as historical reference info.

The back section is all the blueprints, printed on standard paper so that they can be enlar...more
Wendy Hill
I'm in the thick of making my first gingerbread house from scratch, and I'm in way above my head, but this book is a lifesaver. I've read it through a few times now. The authors are an architect and a baker, so they don't miss a detail. Very simple and plain instructions for very elaborate houses. Good solid recipes too.
Jenny (Reading Envy)
A truly great instruction guide to a very specific baking project - the blueprints were the best part, and I made my first gingerbread house ever - it just happened to be an antebellum mansion instead of a simple square that most people might try. This book helped me be fearless.
Arielle
'Tis the season for baking! I usually cheat and decorate gingey houses from kits but this year I've been inspired to make one from scratch. Although I am about to move over 1000 miles next month so realistically this might not come to fruition. Anyways-it's a fun book.
Barb
Jan 23, 2009 Barb rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: beginner gingerbread house builders
Lots of information on building gingerbread houses combined with trivia about architectural styles. The recipes, blueprints and instructions for building the houses are very clear.
Almare
Almare marked it as to-read
Aug 30, 2014
Tee Bylo
Tee Bylo is currently reading it
Sep 05, 2014
Kaytlin Barr
Kaytlin Barr marked it as to-read
Aug 21, 2014
Beth
Beth added it
Apr 09, 2014
Kathy
Kathy marked it as to-read
Dec 19, 2013
Bronwyn
Bronwyn marked it as to-read
Sep 29, 2013
Jan
Jan marked it as to-read
Jan 17, 2013
Wendy
Wendy added it
May 17, 2013
Blackie Blue
Blackie Blue marked it as to-read
Nov 27, 2012
Mary
Mary marked it as to-read
Nov 05, 2012
Sylvia V
Sylvia V marked it as to-read
Jun 06, 2012