Start by marking “The Holocaust Industry: Reflections on the Exploitation of Jewish Suffering” as Want to Read:
The Holocaust Industry: Reflections on the Exploitation of Jewish Suffering

The Holocaust Industry: Reflections on the Exploitation of Jewish Suffering

4.05  ·  Rating Details  ·  1,234 Ratings  ·  101 Reviews
Controversial indictment of those who exploit the tragedy of the Holocaust for their own gain.

In an iconoclastic and controversial study, Norman G. Finkelstein moves from an interrogation of the place the Holocaust has come to occupy in American culture to a disturbing examination of recent Holocaust compensation agreements. It was not until the Arab-Israeli War of 1967, w
Paperback, Second Edition, 288 pages
Published October 17th 2003 by Verso (first published January 1st 2000)

To ask other readers questions about The Holocaust Industry, please sign up.

Charbel Only in one sentence in the conclusion. The book is mainly about the exploitation of the Holocaust to obtain compensations that went only to a…moreOnly in one sentence in the conclusion. The book is mainly about the exploitation of the Holocaust to obtain compensations that went only to a selected few and of which very little went to actual survivors. (less)

Sue
May 07, 2007 Sue rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wow, what a book. I had this book for a few months and, after seeing the author on a documentary about the Holocaust, bumped the book to the top of my To Read pile.

This work discusses the Nazi holocaust (the historical event) and how the Holocaust (capital H) was created after Arab-Israeli War in 1967. Finkelstein describes how organizations representing victims of Nazi brutality use tactics similar to those the Nazis used to get money from businesses, countries, and other groups that have any c
Abdulaziz Fagih
Dec 08, 2010 Abdulaziz Fagih rated it it was amazing
The Holocaust Industry

By Dr. Norman G. Finkelstein

للنسخة العربية من التقيم أدخل الرابط

I'll divide my review into sections so you can skip what you don't want to read in this review:

a) About the writer:

the first time I heard about Norman was 6 moth ago I was watching a clip where he was arguing a point with TV program host who had the same opinion as me after watching the clip I was amazed and fascinated with the compelling argument of Dr. Finkelstein
Maha
Apr 02, 2015 Maha rated it it was amazing
ما الذي حصل فجأة لكي يفتح موضوع الهولوكوست؟ لماذا لا يخلوا منهج تعليمي في أوروبا من دروس عن الهولوكوست وان فرانك، وأفلام عن الهولوكست.
ما السبب وراء الكم الهائل من الأفلام والكتب التي تنتتج كل سنة عن الهولوكست، وكأنه الكارثة الوحيدة التي حل بالعالم.
هنا ، نحن لسنا بصدد مناقشة حقيقة الهولوكست وأعداد من ماتوا، وأظن من المهين تبرأة نظام نازي والقول ان الهولوكست لم يحصل نهائيًا، ولكن النظام النازي كان ضد المعاق واليهودي، والعربي، فهو يريد السيادة لجنس معين، وهنا نحن بصدد الداروينية الإجتماعية التي لا
Clif
May 27, 2014 Clif rated it really liked it
Norman Finkelstein is a phenomenon.

He enrages people but he never speaks falsehoods. Backing up his words with copious footnotes referencing the facts upon which he makes his statements, he marches like Sherman through Georgia, laying low everything in his path. All dissemblers must flee before him because there is no rebuttal to the truth.

He is the same in his public appearances, citing the works of the person he debates to turn that person's own words back upon him.

This logical, relentless, dr
Charbel
Feb 14, 2016 Charbel rated it it was amazing
Norman Finkelstein is the son of two Holocaust survivors. He is vocal against Israel's crimes against Palestinians, and is strongly opposed to using one of the worst tragedies in history to justify genocide. His willingness to speak the truth without mitigation has put him in many difficult situations; even leading him to lose his job as a university professor.

The Holocaust Industry, however, deals with a different subject. In it, Finkelstein discusses how the nazi holocaust was used to service
Cwn_annwn_13
Feb 03, 2011 Cwn_annwn_13 rated it really liked it
The Holocaust Industry exposes the reparations scam where Billionaire Jews and The World Jewish Congress basicly publicly blackmailed the Swiss and Germans in the name of helping Jews who were allegedly victimized during WW2 and pocketed the Lions share of the shake down for themselves. It also makes the point that what went on in concentration camps during WW2 was never politicized or used as propaganda until the late 60s at the earliest. Simon Weisenthal is also shown to be a fraudster to the ...more
Krzysztof
When you start a book like this, you sort of go, "Jeeze, I almost hope I don't like it," because you know if you do, you're going to have to explain yourself. And, confound it, I liked it.

I want to conflate a couple of the points from the letters section of this book with an anecdote of my own:

In 2005, while I was living in China, the whole of China became incensed at yet another inaccurate history textbook published in Japan. The text described the Nanjing Massacre (a.k.a. The Rape of Nanking)
Syed Zulfaqar
Jun 20, 2013 Syed Zulfaqar rated it really liked it
Everybody loves conspiracy theory. This book seems like one huh? Yes, this book fell on same heavy criticism (just look at the title) on promoting a conspiracy theory. But if you want to make sense of the theories, with footnotes and citations, proofs and facts, this book surely deserve a treat. For a clarification, in this book the author used two different terms, Nazi holocaust and The Holocaust. Nazi holocaust referring to the historical event and The Holocaust refer to its capitalization lat ...more
Jeremy
Feb 24, 2015 Jeremy rated it it was ok
I admire Finkelstein's intent in this book. He's trying to show how the various foundations and institutions which now claim to represent the Holocaust and its victims have become self-serving profit centers, using historical guilt as a way of filling their own coffers first and foremost. (That human institutions tend to perpetuate themselves by hook or crook is a conclusion that shouldn't shock most people at this point in history, but maybe I'm just too cynical).

That being said, this is kind o
Mr.
Oct 07, 2008 Mr. rated it it was ok
Unlike the precision of research that his characteristic of Norman Finkelstein when it comes to the issue of the Israel-Palestine conflict, 'The Holocaust Industry' is a disorganized and ultimately spotty work of political science.

Finkelstein's aim is to present an "anatomy and an indictment of the Holocaust industry," meaning the subsequent exploitation of the historical tragedy that was the Holocaust for political and financial ends. The book is composed of three basic sections, 'Capitalizing
Alyazi
Nov 16, 2013 Alyazi rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites, 365
نورمان فلنكستين في كتابه يحاول بتحليل سياسي ونقدي مدهش للأحداث بعد الحرب العالمية الثانية وبعد حرب حزيران ، توضيح أو فهم كيف أُسهمت وأُستغلت المحرقة اليهودية النازية “ الهولوكوست ” للمصالح السياسية لبناء إسرائيل و كسب التعاطف العالمي مع اليهود . ينقسم الكتاب في فصولٍ ثلاث ، تحدثَ الفصل الأول منه عن تحويل الهولوكوست النازية إلى هولوكوست ترسخ و تذكر بالمحرقة كمأساة تُبرر لليهود أفعاله الشنيعة على الأراضي الفلسطينية . وأَوضح بكثير من الدلائل إختفاء ذكر الهولوكوست عن الوعي الجمعي لليهود أنفسهم بعد ا ...more
Anthony
Nov 17, 2014 Anthony rated it it was amazing
I love dissidents. I consider it virtuous to state your opinion without regard as to whether it is safe or legal to do so. Technically in the United States and some other countries (not including Australia) your freedom to speak is legally protected. However dissidents can lose their jobs / damage their careers, be threatened, harassed, sued, shunned and subjected to travel bans. I consider none of these to be legitimate tactics for dealing with those one disagrees with, even if they are all leg ...more
Ahmed Daabel
Sep 24, 2011 Ahmed Daabel rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The thrust of Professor Finkelstein's book is that powerful interests (Israel and Jewish organizations in America) have hijacked what has become known as the holocaust. And while Israel has exploited the holocaust as a weapon to deflect criticism, regardless how justified, American Jewish organizations have used the plight of supposedly needy survivors to extort staggering sums of money from the rest of the world. This was done not for the benefit of survivors, but for the financial advantage of ...more
Haryo wicaksono
Nov 18, 2007 Haryo wicaksono rated it it was amazing
Seperti halnya kaum Yahudi Israel yg membenci kaum muslim , Saya juga membenci mereka...
Dari cerita sejarah, Holocaust kemudian lahir menjadi ‘indutri politik’ dan menjadi pemeras dolar. Norman G. Finkelstein, membongkar faktanya dengan begitu bagus.

Selain Presiden Iran Mahmoud Ahmadinejad, belum pernah ada tokoh di dunia yang berani secara terang-terangan mengatakan keberadaan holocaust hanya sekedar mitos. Sebab, bagi banyak orang, khususnya di Barat dan Eropa, menolak keyakinan keberadaan Hol
Mikkel Demon
Aug 28, 2007 Mikkel Demon rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Norman, seorang Yahudi yang selamat dari pembantaian Nazi pada zaman PD 2 dulu, mengulas tentang kebobrokan dan ketidakmoralan dari bangsanya sendiri soal holocaust.

Ada kelompok-kelompok Yahudi yang bekerja sama dengan pihak Amerika, yang berkepentingan, melakukan pemerasan terhadap negara-negara kaya seperti Swiss, Jerman dll. Mereka mengatasnamakan penderitaan warga Yahudi yang menjadi korban dari Holocaust tersebut. Mereka sangat kotor di dalam memainkan kepentingan trsbt. padahal dikatakan o
Jennifer Abdo
Feb 28, 2011 Jennifer Abdo rated it really liked it
He asks the questions and theorizes in a way no Gentile is allowed to. When non-Jews question the number killed, talk about non-Jews dying in the Holocaust, compare it to other historical events, question Israel, wonder if the Holocaust has been used for ill gotten gain, etc, they are called Holocaust deniers and anti-Semitic.

I'm glad Finkelstein has dared to tackle these tough topics. He's a lightening rod, but at least the ideas are out there for us to discuss, agree and disagree with.
Mehdi
Jan 23, 2015 Mehdi rated it liked it
I picked up Mr. Finkelstein's book because it is deeply divisive, with some admonishing the author as "paranoid", "fanatical" (Omer Bartov, Israeli military historian) and an "obvious crackpot" (Gabriel Schoenfeld), while others lauded it as "the most intelligent political critic in the US". You will likely find that the former have Alan Dershowitz's "Case for Israel" proudly sitting on their bookhself, while the latter likely oppose Zionism in all its forms. Being neither, I approached this boo ...more
Kraychik
Nov 22, 2012 Kraychik rated it did not like it
The only value to the book is its coverage of exploitation by certain individuals and groups of real Holocaust and WWII victims for self-enrichment. Specifically, law firms and lawyers that took arguably excessive portions of damages awarded to victims. There's something quite distasteful about it.

The rest of the book, however, is simply an attempt to slander Zionism. Bear in mind that Finkelstein is an open communist, and he has stated that he doesn't "believe in states". His excuse for focusin
Ricky
Feb 23, 2010 Ricky rated it really liked it
this was a very interesting read and definitely gave me a new perspective on Jewish "conflict" and the history of the Holocaust. it is amazing how rich (and by rich, I mean billionaires) that many prominent Jews at the top of the WJC have made out like bandits suing everyone under the sun for the tragedies that happened at Auschwitz and other locals. yes, you obviously sympathize with what happened in the past, but when you realize where the money is coming from (taxpayers and peasants from Pola ...more
Nurshafira Noh
Dec 19, 2015 Nurshafira Noh rated it really liked it
Shelves: favourite
I find this book to be quite technical with a lot of factual evidences (which are needed) to explained how the Holocaust had been an exploitation. This book actually serves as one of ways for me while I suspend my judgment on Jewish matters.

After this, I plan to embark on Schlomo Sand's books on this matter to understand it more. This book does not undermine Holocaust but instead it questioned its too-superiority and 'uniqueness'.
Christine
Mar 28, 2008 Christine rated it it was amazing
A completely different side to the Holocaust. Read it before you say anything else about the Holocaust to anyone. This book makes you feel guilty for basing your whole knowledge of the Holocaust on "Schindler's List". I give it five stars because it was informative about a subject that most Americans don't know much about.
Richard
Mar 23, 2007 Richard rated it liked it
While I agree with many of his points, there does seem to be a mania and crazed anger to his tone that undermines any value his statements may have. He's like the Andrea Dworkin of political science.
Tom
Aug 16, 2012 Tom rated it it was amazing
Verplichte literatuur voor diegene die zich afvraagt waarom we 70 jaar na datum nog steeds om de oren geslagen worden met het mantra van de holocaust. En voor de anderen, ook verplichte literatuur.
Osman Ali
نورمان فنكلستاين
أب وأم يهود ناجين من معسكرات النازي وهم صغار, اسرة الاب والام كلاهما قضى في تلك المعسكرات, المنطق يقول سيخرج هذا الطفل من تلك الاسرة مشوه وكاره للعالم بعدما حكى له والداه ما شاهداه وقاسياه ويقول ان تلك الام ستغذيه على الكراهية ولكن صدق او لا تصدق ما حدث هو العكس وللمزيد عن حياة نورمان شاهد هذا الوثائقي "وثائقي _ نورمان فنكلستين يهودى ضد التيار الجزء الاول / الثاني"

وابدأ الحديث عن الكتاب بأجمل ما جاء
راضي النماصي
هذا كتابٌ صادم، على الأقل بالنسبة لي .. يحكي كيفية استغلال فاجعة الهولوكوست من قبل المنظمات اليهودية في أمريكا لمصلحتها المالية خاصة بالدرجة الأولى، تتلوها مصلحة إسرائيل كـ"شيء ثانوي" .

تعريف بالمؤلف: د. نورمان فنكلستين هو ابن أحد الناجين من الهولوكوست، وممن قتل أقاربه من الطرفين في الهولوكوست، تخرج من جامعة برينستون قسم العلوم السياسية، وهو حاليًا أستاذ في جامعة . عرف بمناهضته الكاملة للصهيونية كأشهر مثقف أمريكي بعد تشومسكي. وهو صاحب المقطع المشهور بـ"دموع التماسيح" http://www.youtube.com/watch?
Abraham
Nov 27, 2012 Abraham rated it really liked it
Un gran aporte para desenmascarar "la industria del sufrimiento judío", es decir, el continuo sometimiento de un hecho real (el holocausto nazi) a las necesidades económicas y políticas de una élite para transformarse en una especie de intocables, a los que todo les está permitido tan sólo por haber nacido judíos o ser descendientes de quienes sobrevivieron a los campos de concentración.

Aunque no me aportó nada sustancialmente nuevo a muchas ideas que ya tenía sobre el tema, sí tiene muchos dato
Abby
May 22, 2007 Abby rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: mainly other Jews, but anyone who knows anything about Jews, the Holocaust, or Israel
Shelves: non-fiction
Norm Finkelstein thoroughly documented a phenomenon that has been nagging at me for a while now, which is the exploitation of the history of persecution of the Jews. As the oldest grandchild of Holocaust survivors, I have never questioned the horrors that my grandparents experienced. What Professor Finkelstein documents is how this horror has been used as a muzzle and a tool, in ways more extreme than I had even realized.

When I began advocating for human rights in Israel and Palestine, I realiz
Alya AlShaibani
Oct 28, 2015 Alya AlShaibani rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
eye-opening. exposes you to information generally emitted from whatever you're learning/you've learned about the current effects of the holocaust. will do some further reading on the subject.
Albian
Dec 05, 2013 Albian added it
An easy AND interesting read! Finkelstein's writing style is extremely accessible, on top of being rather humorous in it's sharp sarcasm. The content is fantastic, and i really appreciate that in the second edition he includes an afterword on the hypocrisy of the American government when it comes to dealing with indigenous compensation claims. This book is more than deserving of 5-stars, and it's unfortunate so many people who haven't even read the text feel the need to down vote it because they ...more
Aleix
Mar 05, 2015 Aleix rated it really liked it
It's not particularly great as a piece of writing or as philosophical insight, but it gets the four star treatment because it IS an immensely courageous monument to free thinking. And of course, it contains serious, honest scholarship.

Let's TALK about the holocaust, not worship it. Let's try to EXPLAIN it. Let's see its impact in the Jewish mentality of the last century, and on the creation and development of the state of Israel.

Don't be fooled: Finkelstein is not anything near a holocaust denie
Goodreads Librari...: Title 2 18 Feb 15, 2015 06:32AM
  • The Holocaust in American Life
  • Lying About Hitler: History, Holocaust, and the David Irving Trial
  • Jewish History, Jewish Religion: The Weight of Three Thousand Years
  • Drinking the Sea at Gaza: Days and Nights in a Land Under Siege
Norman Finkelstein, son of a holocaust survivor, is a fierce and controversial critic of Israeli policy, especially toward Palestinians. He has had a tense rivalry with his pro-Israel counterpart, Alan Dershowitz. In 2007 DePaul University denied his tenure, a decision for which Dershowitz lobbied. For his views and suspected connections to anti-Zionist groups, Israel has denied Finkelstein entry ...more
More about Norman G. Finkelstein...

“Manifest Destiny anticipated nearly all the ideological and programmatic elements of Hitler's Lebensraum policy. In fact, Hitler modeled his conquest of the East on the American conquest of the West.* During the first half of this century, a majority of American states enacted sterilization laws and tens of thousands of Americans were involuntarily sterilized. The Nazis explicitly invoked this US precedent when they enacted their own sterilization laws.'' The notorious 1935 Nuremberg Laws stripped Jews of the franchise and forbade miscegenation between Jews and non-Jews. Blacks in the American South suffered the same legal disabilities and were the object of much greater spontaneous and sanctioned popular violence than the Jews in prewar Germany.
To highlight unfolding crimes abroad, the US often summons memories of The Holocaust. The more revealing point, however, is when the US invokes The Holocaust. Crimes of official enemies such as the Khmer Rouge bloodbath in Cambodia, the Soviet invasion of Afghanistan, the Iraqi invasion of Kuwait, and Serbian ethnic cleansing in Kosovo recall The Holocaust; crimes in which the US is complicit do not.”
1 likes