A History of the Holocaust

A History of the Holocaust

3.86 of 5 stars 3.86  ·  rating details  ·  108 ratings  ·  6 reviews
The author traces the roots of anti-Semitism that burgeoned through the ages and provides a comprehensive description of how and why the Holocaust occurred.

Book Details: Format: Paperback Publication Date: 9/1/2002 Pages: 432 Reading Level: Age 14 and Up
Published January 1st 2001 by Children's Press(CT) (first published 1982)

To ask other readers questions about A History of the Holocaust, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A History of the Holocaust

Jessica
Apr 17, 2008 Jessica rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: History buffs. People who are interested in understanding the holocaust.
Shelves: non-fiction, judaism
As a person who has always found the holocaust and the surrounding events fascinating and mind-boggling. This book does an excellent job of putting the holocaust into context of the cultural events that were ongoing at the time.
Kevin
Jul 04, 2008 Kevin rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: anyone that can read
During my Senior year of college I took a religion class that covered the history of anti-semitism. I've read other Holocaust books; however, none have been as detailed and comprehensive as this text. Shortly after I took this class I visited the Holocaust museum in Washington DC. It was a Grey cold spring day in DC. Life was trying to sprout from the surrounding winter deadness but the bitter breeze and my experience in the museum seemed to almost will a somber winter day.
Deborah
This is a great book. It is a chronicle of the development of Jewish society in itself, interaction with Christian society, emancipation in Europe, effects of WWI leading up to WWII and the development and implementation of Nazi anti-semitic policies, and the aftermath of the holocaust.

This book covers a lot of territory, but in a very readable format. I read a library copy which obviously had been checked out many times before.
kenneth
Took a Holocaust class in college and this book was one of the best. A good overview and history, with some good analysis to boot. If you are at all interested in the topic I can certainly recommend this one.
Jessica
The writing is definately college level. Very complex and detailed. I personally found it to be a bit hard of a read which actually made it more of a dread, but I did learn alot from it during the semester.
Shaila
Very educational, Sad to know what truely happened.
Grace Fetterman
Grace Fetterman is currently reading it
Sep 14, 2014
Steven Chang
Steven Chang marked it as to-read
Aug 24, 2014
Jen
Jen marked it as to-read
Aug 21, 2014
Aaron Barrett
Aaron Barrett marked it as to-read
Aug 13, 2014
Stephanie Cieplinski
Stephanie Cieplinski marked it as to-read
Jul 29, 2014
Beth
Beth marked it as to-read
Jul 26, 2014
Dan
Dan added it
Aug 08, 2014
Arshie Qureshi
Arshie Qureshi marked it as to-read
Jun 23, 2014
Espo Mama
Espo Mama marked it as to-read
May 21, 2014
Connor Prewit
Connor Prewit marked it as to-read
May 20, 2014
Katie
Katie marked it as to-read
May 17, 2014
Kathy
Kathy marked it as to-read
May 16, 2014
Leslie Pauley
Leslie Pauley marked it as to-read
May 14, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
Rethinking the Holocaust The Death of the Shtetl The Holocaust In Historical Perspective (Samuel and Althea Stroum Lectures in Jewish Studies) Jews for Sale?: Nazi-Jewish Negotiations, 1933-1945 American Jewry and the Holocaust: The American Jewish Joint Distribution Committee, 1939-1945