Start by marking “How to Grill: The Complete Illustrated Book of Barbecue Techniques, A Barbecue Bible! Cookbook” as Want to Read:

4.15  ·  Rating Details ·  1,206 Ratings  ·  37 Reviews
Winner of an IACP Cookbook Award, How to Grill is “the definitive how-to guide for anyone passionate about grilling, from the newest beginner to the most sophisticated chef” (Tom Colicchio).

A full-color, photograph-by-photograph, step-by-step technique book, How to Grill gets to the core of the grilling experience by showing and telling exactly how it's done. With more t
Published May 1st 2001 by Workman Publishing Company

To ask other readers questions about How to Grill, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about How to Grill

Rachel Davis
I'm a pretty good cook. I'm no Anne Burrell, but I have enough of a handle on the skills and techniques that I can go off-recipe and make my own food.

So this summer I decided I would learn to master the grill and use it as comfortably as I use my stove. If I could have only one cookbook for the rest of my life (Other than Joy of Cooking), this might be it.

This is a true, step by step "how-to" book. This is that book. It walks you through how to choose a grill based on your needs. It's one of t
Darren
Jun 27, 2012 Darren rated it it was amazing
When this book was taken off the shelf for a "RETRO review" this reviewer first needed to do a double take. Can this really be 10 years old? Its design and styling look as if it had been a 2012 season release. Here is a very thick, heavy book full of advice about how to grill food outdoors. An antidote to burnt sausages and singed corn.

After a time you can get a little fatigued by the sheer number of barbecue and grill-related books that pop up each spring, eager to catch the next crop of people
Khaoi Mady
Apr 24, 2015 Khaoi Mady rated it it was amazing
How-to Book

Steven Raichlen. How to Grill: The Complete Illustrated Book of Barbecue Techniques, A Barbecue Bible! Cookbook (2001). This is a how to book that could very well be the be-all, end-all book to teach you how to grill like a professional. It is in full color and has step-by-step instructions (with photographs!) showing you exactly what to do, and when to do it. I don’t consider myself a cook by any means, but the written instructions along with the pictures make the directions easy to
John G
Jul 29, 2015 John G rated it it was amazing
Shelves: food-cooking
My go to reference for rubs and sauces on the Barbie. My favourite is his Basic Barbecue Dry Rub. He even has suggestions for flavoured butters. Lots of good solid grill recipes for meat, seafood and vegetables. My most used recipe is his Kansas City Sweet and Smokey Ribs.

The organization of the book is excellent. Also the extensive use of photos illustrating a technique or cooking steps is unmatched in BBQ books.

It even covers smokers and Eggs. I found however it was not of great use for my lum
Brad
Apr 01, 2008 Brad rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Grilling neophytes like me
Shelves: cookbooks
Grilling has been a challenge for me, partly because up until recently I have had third-rate equipment, but mostly because I just get a lot less practice at it than less time-consuming/weather-dependant methods of cooking. This book is outstanding for teaching you how to get started grilling, including what equipment to buy, how to use the various types of grills, and the various options in terms of fuel and gadgets available. The recipes are excellent and include lots of variations to really te ...more
Rob
Jan 15, 2014 Rob rated it it was amazing
Shelves: food-drink
Pictures, pictures, pictures... my kind of cook-book. Very clear instructions with photos of how to prepare and cut the meat and of course the finished product. Raichlen starts with the basics and takes you through different meats and veggies. I have been cooking for years and years and still picked up some good tips and tricks. I have tried his memphis dry rub beef ribs and plan to give about 10-15 of the other BBQ recipes a try. I may also ditch my gas grill and go pure charcoal as a result of ...more
Heather
Aug 17, 2007 Heather rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Grill enthusiasts/wannabe Grill Enthusiasts
This book is the secret to our grilling success. Ken's methodical following of Raichlen's directions alway lead to amazing outcomes. Love the Basic BBQ chicken, Chicken Under Bricks, and Grilled Pepper Salad (we use 1/2 summer squash). This guy is a grilling genius who will not usually guide you astray!
David S
Jan 24, 2008 David S rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Anyone who loves to grill or wants to learn how
As a relative novice to charcoal grilling, I have yet to go wrong under the careful instruction of this book. Raichlen offers step by step techniques on how to prepare and grill just about anything (smoked turkey, bbq spare ribs, portabella mushrooms, pizza, whole roast lamb), and he includes a lot of useful info on basic techniques, grilling equipment, etc.
Robert
Jul 03, 2010 Robert rated it liked it
An excellent resource! Raichlen provides lots of examples with each recipe. He teaches one what is going on with each cook, what to expect, how to prepare, etc. All cookbooks should be this detailed.

Each recipe comes not only with a description, but a photo-spread of the procedure. I found that to be extremely helpful. This is one of the must-haves when it comes to barbecue.
Tim
Sep 11, 2015 Tim rated it it was amazing
This is a really splendid book.
Step by step high quality photos showing the prep for a wide range of recipes.
One question.
This book is printed on good quality gloss paper with numerous colour (color for our US readers ) illustrations that costs the same as his ' The Barbecue Bible ' printed on low quality paper with B & W photos. Why ?
Stephanie
Jul 19, 2014 Stephanie rated it it was amazing
Love to reference this book when I'm trying to come up with new ways to grill common grill food, and also to come up with something I normally wouldn't think of cooking on the grill.

A lot of great tips for gas and charcoal grilling. Easy to read and tons of pictures showing step-by-step instructions. Highly recommend!
Linda Peavy
Apr 10, 2014 Linda Peavy rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: anyone who wants to learn to grill
I have been using this book since I got my copy. I thought I would give it to my husband but after flipping through it I decided it was meant for me. The photos are great and the step by step is exactly what I need! I'm going to be a grill master soon!
Hannah
Mar 10, 2008 Hannah rated it it was amazing
Shelves: practical
Buy this for any man who loves to grill and wants to learn! It is so valuable to have. But if it is used a lot it may fall apart, so get it spiral bound or the hardcover edition. This book has incredible descriptions and instructions. And photos for each recipe! It's great!
Sandra
Jul 13, 2012 Sandra rated it it was ok
This book is done really well and covers all modes of grilling. The ingredients/recipes section is basic but also creative. I bought it for someone who insists on clear instructions and I think this book fits.
Crystal
Mar 26, 2014 Crystal rated it it was amazing
Such a wonderful book to teach you how to grill different foods! It was a great how to book with step by step instructions, pictures to help you along, and yummy recipes! I am definitely glad I won this book and can't wait to use it to grill my own creations this summer!
Ebookwormy1
Jun 19, 2011 Ebookwormy1 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction, cooking
Given to us as a housewarming gift, this book is my Griller's favorite. A fun mix of humor and practical advice, this is where he turns when he wants to try something new. Occasionally a bit too elaborate for our talents, always educational.
HBalikov
May 06, 2013 HBalikov rated it really liked it
What every basic cookbook should have:
Plenty of pics of each step.
Clear procedures and discussion of the best equipment
Loads of recipes to supplement the main grilling event
Thoughtful hints and organization

No doubt I will be using it from now to forever
Apr 17, 2014 Jennifer rated it really liked it
This is a really easy to use 'How to Grill" cookbook. There are step by step directions along with detailed photos. Recipes are very easy to prepare and personalize with extra ingredients. So great to win a great book like this.
Matt
Aug 10, 2008 Matt rated it it was amazing
I love to grill in the backyard and this book has made it even more enjoyable. I first saw him on KPBS (he has a grillling show) and then bought the book. He has a recipe for grilled salmon that even my kids will eat.

Viva la Steve!
Debbie
Jul 21, 2012 Debbie rated it it was amazing
Awesome resource!! Need to purchase this book!!
Matt
Jan 14, 2009 Matt rated it it was amazing
My brother gave this to me. I use all the time!!! I'm scared to cook without it.
Debby
May 08, 2014 Debby rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cookbooks
This book converted my husband from the "I don't know how to cook anything" to quite the Master Griller. Great pictorials on how to grill just about anything. We loove this book.
Cory Van Horn
Mar 17, 2011 Cory Van Horn rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cookbooks
None of the recipes have failed me yet! I really enjoy the recipe, writing and formatting style of this book. Very well done.
Mark Masloob
Jul 05, 2016 Mark Masloob rated it it was amazing
Best grilling book out there.
Jason Chaos
This is sorta a must for most guys
Lesa
Oct 29, 2014 Lesa rated it it was amazing
I love this book! It shows you how to grill just about anything you can think of. I have made several recipes from it and they have all been fantastic. My favorite is probably the whole chicken.
Bret
Mar 17, 2008 Bret rated it really liked it
I haven't had a chance togrill as much as I would like - so there is still a good chance that my rating could go up to 5 stars. I can say that it maps outthe entire grilling experience.
OneDraft
Oct 13, 2008 OneDraft rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-2006-2010
Don't know if I will ever read this cover to cover but there are a ton of cooking ideas and ways to grill, EVERYTHING under the sun. Great book and great idea from my wife.
Charcoal rules.
Stuart Lodge
Aug 16, 2008 Stuart Lodge marked it as to-read
I love to grill, and I want to get better!!
Joe Martin
How to Grill: The Complete Illustrated Book of Barbecue Techniques by Steven Raichlen (2001)
  • Weber's Big Book of Grilling
  • Splendid Soups: Recipes and Master Techniques for Making the World's Best Soups
  • Mexico One Plate At A Time
  • The Minimalist Cooks at Home: Recipes That Give You More Flavor from Fewer Ingredients in Less Time
  • Whole Grains Every Day, Every Way
  • How to Bake: Complete Guide to Perfect Cakes, Cookies, Pies, Tarts, Breads, Pizzas, Muffins,
  • Knife Skills Illustrated: A User's Manual
  • Mario Batali Simple Italian Food: Recipes from My Two Villages
  • Vegetable Love
  • Rachael Ray: Just in Time: All-New 30-Minutes Meals, plus Super-Fast 15-Minute Meals and Slow It Down 60-Minute Meals
  • Classic Indian Cooking
  • American Pie: My Search for the Perfect Pizza
  • Smoke & Spice, Revised: Cooking with Smoke, the Real Way to Barbecue
  • Real Thai: The Best of Thailand's Regional Cooking
  • The Best Light Recipe
  • The Old World Kitchen: The Rich Tradition of European Peasant Cooking
  • Classic Home Desserts: A Treasury of Heirloom and Contemporary Recipes from Around the World
  • The Frugal Gourmet Cooks Three Ancient Cuisines: China, Greece, and Rome

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »