Start by marking “How to Grill: The Complete Illustrated Book of Barbecue Techniques, A Barbecue Bible! Cookbook” as Want to Read:

4.12 of 5 stars 4.12  ·  rating details  ·  970 ratings  ·  36 reviews
Without a doubt the most interesting, comprehensive, and well-thought-out book on grilling ever and it's destined to be in the kitchens and backyards of both professionals and home cooks. Every detail is made clear and easy in a concise and inspirational way. Spark it up! (Mario Batali, Molto Mario (The Food Network), Mario Batali's Simple Italian Food) The definitive how- ...more
Published May 1st 2001 by Workman Publishing Company

To ask other readers questions about How to Grill, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about How to Grill

My Greek Traditional Cook Book 1 by Anna OthitisJoy of Cooking by Irma S. RombauerHow To Cook Everything by Mark BittmanThe America's Test Kitchen Family Cookbook by Carl TremblayThe Moosewood Cookbook by Mollie Katzen
Awesome Cookbooks!
10th out of 134 books — 93 voters
The Shadow of the Wind by Carlos Ruiz ZafónLife of Pi by Yann MartelAtonement by Ian McEwanAmerican Gods by Neil GaimanJohn Adams by David McCullough
Best Books of 2001
204th out of 310 books — 153 voters

More lists with this book...

Rachel Davis
I'm a pretty good cook. I'm no Anne Burrell, but I have enough of a handle on the skills and techniques that I can go off-recipe and make my own food.

So this summer I decided I would learn to master the grill and use it as comfortably as I use my stove. If I could have only one cookbook for the rest of my life (Other than Joy of Cooking), this might be it.

This is a true, step by step "how-to" book. This is that book. It walks you through how to choose a grill based on your needs. It's one of t
Khaoi Mady
How-to Book

Steven Raichlen. How to Grill: The Complete Illustrated Book of Barbecue Techniques, A Barbecue Bible! Cookbook (2001). This is a how to book that could very well be the be-all, end-all book to teach you how to grill like a professional. It is in full color and has step-by-step instructions (with photographs!) showing you exactly what to do, and when to do it. I don’t consider myself a cook by any means, but the written instructions along with the pictures make the directions easy to
Julie
Not as versatile as his "Barbecue Bible" but a fun book for those who love all things grilled. I loved that it gave you options for the different methods of indoor grilling (ie. grill pan, contact grill , or broiler/pan). I enjoyed it, but I am not sure it's one that I would add to my 'must buy' list.

If you haven't read this author's Barbeque Bible it is a MUST if you love to grill, it covers EVERYTHING.
Darren
When this book was taken off the shelf for a "RETRO review" this reviewer first needed to do a double take. Can this really be 10 years old? Its design and styling look as if it had been a 2012 season release. Here is a very thick, heavy book full of advice about how to grill food outdoors. An antidote to burnt sausages and singed corn.

After a time you can get a little fatigued by the sheer number of barbecue and grill-related books that pop up each spring, eager to catch the next crop of people
Stephanie
Love to reference this book when I'm trying to come up with new ways to grill common grill food, and also to come up with something I normally wouldn't think of cooking on the grill.

A lot of great tips for gas and charcoal grilling. Easy to read and tons of pictures showing step-by-step instructions. Highly recommend!
Ben
Quite a good cookbook, and not just because most of it involves both meat and fire. Okay, actually that's a big part of it.

For most of the recipes, Raichlen provides a number of different cooking methods. If it's applicable, he has instructions for cooking on grill pans, Foreman type grills, smokers, rotisseries, and even fireplaces (don't think I'll be trying that anytime soon, even if I had access to a fireplace). The recipes themselves are pretty simple for the most part, and easy to follow,
Lesa
I love this book! It shows you how to grill just about anything you can think of. I have made several recipes from it and they have all been fantastic. My favorite is probably the whole chicken.
This is a really easy to use 'How to Grill" cookbook. There are step by step directions along with detailed photos. Recipes are very easy to prepare and personalize with extra ingredients. So great to win a great book like this.
Debby
This book converted my husband from the "I don't know how to cook anything" to quite the Master Griller. Great pictorials on how to grill just about anything. We loove this book.
Ian Bowman
This is a remarkably fun book to read. It is full of great recipes, and does a decent job covering barbecue equipment.
Rob
Pictures, pictures, pictures... my kind of cook-book. Very clear instructions with photos of how to prepare and cut the meat and of course the finished product. Raichlen starts with the basics and takes you through different meats and veggies. I have been cooking for years and years and still picked up some good tips and tricks. I have tried his memphis dry rub beef ribs and plan to give about 10-15 of the other BBQ recipes a try. I may also ditch my gas grill and go pure charcoal as a result of ...more
Brad
Apr 05, 2008 Brad rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Grilling neophytes like me
Shelves: cookbooks
Grilling has been a challenge for me, partly because up until recently I have had third-rate equipment, but mostly because I just get a lot less practice at it than less time-consuming/weather-dependant methods of cooking. This book is outstanding for teaching you how to get started grilling, including what equipment to buy, how to use the various types of grills, and the various options in terms of fuel and gadgets available. The recipes are excellent and include lots of variations to really te ...more
Robert
An excellent resource! Raichlen provides lots of examples with each recipe. He teaches one what is going on with each cook, what to expect, how to prepare, etc. All cookbooks should be this detailed.

Each recipe comes not only with a description, but a photo-spread of the procedure. I found that to be extremely helpful. This is one of the must-haves when it comes to barbecue.
Crystal
Such a wonderful book to teach you how to grill different foods! It was a great how to book with step by step instructions, pictures to help you along, and yummy recipes! I am definitely glad I won this book and can't wait to use it to grill my own creations this summer!
David S
Jan 25, 2008 David S rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Anyone who loves to grill or wants to learn how
As a relative novice to charcoal grilling, I have yet to go wrong under the careful instruction of this book. Raichlen offers step by step techniques on how to prepare and grill just about anything (smoked turkey, bbq spare ribs, portabella mushrooms, pizza, whole roast lamb), and he includes a lot of useful info on basic techniques, grilling equipment, etc.
Heather
Aug 17, 2007 Heather rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Grill enthusiasts/wannabe Grill Enthusiasts
This book is the secret to our grilling success. Ken's methodical following of Raichlen's directions alway lead to amazing outcomes. Love the Basic BBQ chicken, Chicken Under Bricks, and Grilled Pepper Salad (we use 1/2 summer squash). This guy is a grilling genius who will not usually guide you astray!
Hannah
Buy this for any man who loves to grill and wants to learn! It is so valuable to have. But if it is used a lot it may fall apart, so get it spiral bound or the hardcover edition. This book has incredible descriptions and instructions. And photos for each recipe! It's great!
Linda Peavy
Jun 15, 2014 Linda Peavy rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: anyone who wants to learn to grill
I have been using this book since I got my copy. I thought I would give it to my husband but after flipping through it I decided it was meant for me. The photos are great and the step by step is exactly what I need! I'm going to be a grill master soon!
HBalikov
What every basic cookbook should have:
Plenty of pics of each step.
Clear procedures and discussion of the best equipment
Loads of recipes to supplement the main grilling event
Thoughtful hints and organization

No doubt I will be using it from now to forever
Ebookwormy
Given to us as a housewarming gift, this book is my Griller's favorite. A fun mix of humor and practical advice, this is where he turns when he wants to try something new. Occasionally a bit too elaborate for our talents, always educational.
Matt
I love to grill in the backyard and this book has made it even more enjoyable. I first saw him on KPBS (he has a grillling show) and then bought the book. He has a recipe for grilled salmon that even my kids will eat.

Viva la Steve!
Sandralee
This book is done really well and covers all modes of grilling. The ingredients/recipes section is basic but also creative. I bought it for someone who insists on clear instructions and I think this book fits.
Bret
I haven't had a chance togrill as much as I would like - so there is still a good chance that my rating could go up to 5 stars. I can say that it maps outthe entire grilling experience.
OneDraft
Don't know if I will ever read this cover to cover but there are a ton of cooking ideas and ways to grill, EVERYTHING under the sun. Great book and great idea from my wife.
Charcoal rules.
Brian
this guy has a show on pbs, and he's great. Very thorough. Recipes and techniques for a new grill season. He spent three years touring the bbq world while writing, and it shows.
Cory Van Horn
None of the recipes have failed me yet! I really enjoy the recipe, writing and formatting style of this book. Very well done.
Kathy (Bermudaonion)
As far as we're concerned this is THE cookbook for grilling! I can't tell you how much my husband loves it.
Joe Martin
How to Grill: The Complete Illustrated Book of Barbecue Techniques by Steven Raichlen (2001)
john
Awesome recipes. After making the rubs in the back of the book, ive never bought "premade" again.
M
My brother gave this to me. I use all the time!!! I'm scared to cook without it.
  • Weber's Big Book of Grilling
  • Splendid Soups: Recipes and Master Techniques for Making the World's Best Soups
  • Rick Bayless's Mexican Kitchen
  • How to Bake: Complete Guide to Perfect Cakes, Cookies, Pies, Tarts, Breads, Pizzas, Muffins,
  • Mario Batali Simple Italian Food: Recipes from My Two Villages
  • Classic Indian Cooking
  • The Minimalist Cooks at Home: Recipes That Give You More Flavor from Fewer Ingredients in Less Time
  • Whole Grains Every Day, Every Way
  • Bobby Flay's Mesa Grill Cookbook: Explosive Flavors from the Southwestern Kitchen
  • The Best Light Recipe
  • Vegetable Love
  • The Best of Cooking Light: Over 500 of Our All-Time Greatest Recipes
  • Smoke & Spice - Revised Edition: Cooking With Smoke, the Real Way to Barbecue
  • The Frugal Gourmet on Our Immigrant Ancestors: Recipes You Should Have Gotten from Your Grandmother
  • Bernard Clayton's New Complete Book of Breads
  • Classic Home Desserts: A Treasury of Heirloom and Contemporary Recipes from Around the World
  • Gourmet Today: More than 1000 All-New Recipes for the Contemporary Kitchen
  • Good Eats 3: The Later Years
The Barbecue! Bible Island Apart Barbecue! Bible Sauces, Rubs, and Marinades, Bastes, Butters, and Glazes BBQ USA: 425 Fiery Recipes from All Across America Beer-Can Chicken: And 74 Other Offbeat Recipes for the Grill