Start by marking “The Tale of Despereaux: The Graphic Novel” as Want to Read:
The Tale of Despereaux: The Graphic Novel

The Tale of Despereaux: The Graphic Novel

This fresh new graphic format, featuring all-new artwork inspired by the film The Tale of Despereaux, is destined to bring Kate DiCamilllo's award-winning classic to an even wider audience.

The Tale of Despereaux tells the story of several unlikely heroes: Despereaux, a brave mouse banished to the dungeon for speaking with a human; Roscuro, a good-hearted rat who loves ligh
Published October 14th 2008 by Candlewick Press (first published October 1st 2008)

To ask other readers questions about The Tale of Despereaux, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Tale of Despereaux

Pam
Dec 27, 2008 Pam rated it liked it
Shelves: 3-4-grade
Well done graphic novel version of Tale of Despereaux. This will appeal to those that watch the movie. However, I wouldn't recommend as a replacement for the book.
Jarrett Bell
The Tale of Despereaux is an action packed story filled with the brave actions of a mouse. I feel that graphic novels are best reserved for showing (as opposed to telling) emotion. While there is a great moral lesson in the story, I think this particular action packed based book was poorly done. These are best kept in vivid, descriptive language.
Madigan McGillicuddy
May 08, 2011 Madigan McGillicuddy rated it really liked it
I must confess, I haven't read the original book, or seen the animated movie. I just finished reading this graphic novel adaptation and I came into it pretty darn skeptical... a comic book, based on the movie... based on the original novel? How good could it be? I have to say, I was pleasantly surprised. It's light-hearted and moves swiftly. Obviously, it's a completely different animal than the original work, but taken completely on it's own merits it's pretty good.

The book opens with Roscuro t
Janice
Mar 27, 2016 Janice rated it it was ok
Shelves: kids-lit
Joell Schmidling-Peysar
Dec 18, 2008 Joell Schmidling-Peysar rated it it was amazing
I read this story to my son at bedtime a few years ago. It was his first dip in the chapter book pool and I think he actually liked that. He is now reading the book for himself. It's a sweet story. My son enjoys stories about animals that are heroic and so this was right up his alley. I think he will soon try to find other books by this author.
♥Magic Wonderland☯♥☮
The Tale of Despereaux: The Graphic Novel was okay. I mean I finished it under an hour but there wasn't anything in it that I seemed to like. There were some things in here I didn't agree with like when the narrator is talking about fear being the greatest feeling. Umm, nope. I don't believe so.
Duane
Mar 08, 2011 Duane rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I admit I've never read the original book or seen the movie so when I came across this graphic novel I was intrigued. The story is nice and easy to follow. Based on a kingdom suffering the blues, a young mouse tries his best to save the princess and make things better. The artwork is nice and the text is easy to follow. A nice graphic novel.
Andrea
Apr 09, 2009 Andrea rated it really liked it
Shelves: kids-over-6
Sierra LOVED this book. She actually read the whole thing in one day. I've never been able to get her to read more than a picture book on her own in one day. These graphic novels are a great way to introduce chapter books to children. They still have lots of pictures, yet they give them the feeling of reading a long book, but they are very quick reads at the same time.
Rebecca Sharp
Jun 26, 2012 Rebecca Sharp rated it it was amazing
This wonderful graphic novel is based on the novel The Tale of Despereaux, a lively story about a mouse and a rat both looking for something more than their life currently gives them in the Kingdom of Dor. This graphic novel, with excellent illustrations, would be perfect for the younger reader who wants to enjoy the story, but isn't quite ready for the lengthy chapter book by Kate DiCamillo.
Emily
Jul 26, 2012 Emily rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens-books
This was a quick read. I had already read the novel and so I eagerly turned these pages to see how they illustrated different characters and scenes. You still get the same feelings of grief, darkness and then forgiveness and light. Great book.
Megan Anderson
Really cute adaptation of the story. The plot is somewhat different from the novel, but that's okay! It'd be perfect for a class to read this and DiCamillo's novel to do a side-by-side comparison.

4/5 on here, 8/10 for myself
Carly
Nov 19, 2012 Carly rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The graphic novel was a great way to read this tale. The pictures and color made the story very visual while reading. I will use this book and recommend to any child that enjoys comics or looking at pictures while reading.
Nancy Jo Lambert
Mar 18, 2012 Nancy Jo Lambert rated it liked it
I have read the original story and seen the movie. This graphic novel is definitely more like the movie than the book, but this is still a great graphic novel adaptation. I am sure that kids will like this more than I did. I wasn't just a huge fan of either the original story or the movie...
Kaye
Mar 20, 2011 Kaye rated it liked it
I enjoyed the graphics. The pictures take on more importance than most of the graphic novels I have read thus far. My students seem to like the graphic novel as much as the book.
Heather
Jan 16, 2009 Heather rated it liked it
Shelves: read2009, childrens
This was a great graphic version of the novel. The illustrations were clear--very similar to the movie (from what I can gather, I haven't actually seen the show).
Mary
Feb 28, 2010 Mary rated it liked it
Not bad. Illustrations bring the story to life, however, I prefer more text. I found it very similar to Ratatouille.
Aarifa - Lover of Harry Potter, Books, and Animals-
This one was based on the movie of the tale of despereaux. I kinda liked it but.... It wasn't "so" good as the real one..
Brittany
Aug 04, 2009 Brittany rated it liked it
They changed quite a bit of the original book for the movie. I have very mixed feelings about this.
Class 501
Oct 21, 2009 Class 501 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: ms greenhouse
Recommended to Class by: juliean
My review is i do not get why they crided for the soup there are other things to eat than soup. how did the rats manage to get a tomcat and despereaux was so cute when he was a baby
Cindy
Jul 31, 2015 Cindy rated it really liked it
As I haven't read the book I can't tell you about the storyline of it. But I love that this author did the Bones series. Very cute. I think Despereaux is really really adorable!
Snow
Dec 07, 2008 Snow rated it liked it
Shelves: childrens-comics
read for NoveList booklists
Sydney
Sydney rated it it was amazing
Nov 26, 2008
Jonathan Chai
Jonathan Chai rated it really liked it
Nov 02, 2014
Jennifer rated it it was ok
Jan 04, 2015
Eileen Erwin
Eileen Erwin rated it liked it
Apr 09, 2015
Janie Panda Lee
Janie Panda Lee rated it liked it
Sep 28, 2016
Anne
Anne rated it liked it
Apr 28, 2012
Roz Radmore
Roz Radmore rated it really liked it
May 20, 2016
Yonathan
Yonathan rated it it was amazing
Apr 15, 2013
April Rogers
April Rogers rated it liked it
Nov 15, 2012
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • Iron Man and Philosophy: Facing the Stark Reality
  • The Ultimates: Against All Enemies
  • X-Men and Philosophy: Astonishing Insight and Uncanny Argument in the Mutant X-Verse
  • The Wild (The Secret Journeys of Jack London, #1)
  • The Swap
  • A Study in Scarlet
  • War, Politics and Superheroes: Ethics and Propaganda in Comics and Film
  • As the World Burns: 50 Simple Things You Can Do to Stay in Denial
  • The Light Fantastic: The Graphic Novel
  • Casino Royale
  • Sherlock Holmes and a Scandal in Bohemia (On the Case with Holmes & Watson, #1)
  • Joey Fly, Private Eye in Creepy Crawly Crime
  • Our Hero (Babymouse, #2)
  • Mash Mania
  • The Collected Fiction, Vol. 1: The Boats of the "Glen Carrig" and Other Nautical Adventures
  • The Manga Guide to the Universe