Start by marking “The Mystery of the Coughing Dragon (Alfred Hitchcock and The Three Investigators #14)” as Want to Read:

3.72  ·  Rating Details ·  1,315 Ratings  ·  22 Reviews
Henry Allen's dog is missing - and he thinks it's been eaten by a dragon! On the night the dog disappeared, Mr. Allen swears he saw a huge dragon slither into the sea caves beneath his cliff-top house.
Could Mr. Allen really have seen a dragon? The Three Investigators doubt it, but they're determined to find the missing dog. That means exploring those dark, dangerous cave
Paperback
Published 1970 by Scholastic

To ask other readers questions about The Mystery of the Coughing Dragon, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Mystery of the Coughing Dragon

Quentin Wallace
This one was entertaining, but slightly more predictable than some of the others. It had some other differences as well. There was no other boys their own ages involved, and the villain wasn't quite as sinister as in previous volumes. The story seemed a little lacking though, as in there wasn't much variety as far as settings go and the characters weren't quite as interesting. That being said, this was still entertaining. This is such a great series.
C.
Oct 25, 2008 C. rated it liked it
Once again, I have abandoned Mrs Dalloway for the simpler pleasures of a children's book, but even the relatively un-challenging prose of Virginia Woolf requires too much cognitive processing from me right now. So I turn to an old favourite.

Quite apart from the undeniable coolness of running a detective agency out of a trailer hidden in a junkyard, I always liked the Three Investigators because they seemed to be more independent, less childish and more intelligent than other child detectives. In
Sarah J. Belcher
Jul 22, 2011 Sarah J. Belcher rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans of the series.
Shelves: t3i, reviewed, 2009
I've been reading this series for over 15 years now and I've been collecting them for nearly as long. This particular one wasn't my favorite -- it has a great story and plenty of adventure, but I think I prefer the writing style of some of the other author's of the series over Nick West's. The beginning felt a little rocky and awkward, but by the middle it began to get into the rhythm of the typical T3I mystery. As always, the boys find more than they bargained for and end up putting themselves ...more
Jeff Stephenson
Jan 24, 2017 Jeff Stephenson rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
AH&T3I Update: 14 read, 14 hardbacks to go! (Yes, I am now halfway done with the hardbacks in the series. There are 15 additional titles all originally released in paperback versions that I still need to read as well. Of course, Alfred Hitchcock does not appear in the last 13 titles.)

Kin Platt, aka Nick West, only wrote two of the T3I titles: this one and book #16. Given the limited number of titles that this author wrote for the series, it would be easy to deduce that he was not the best T3
Mark
Sep 18, 2014 Mark rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
original 2009 review - The boys are hired to find a missing dog, but then discover the dogs owner has spotted a coughing dragon coming up the beach in front of his house. Investigating that, the boys discover hidden caves and a long-abandoned underground railway, before coming face to face with the dragon itself. This is preposterous but such good fun that you can forgive the plot-holes (you’d use a dragon, for that purpose?) and the humorous interplay between the boys is superb (the dialogue he ...more
Robert Stewart
Feb 11, 2013 Robert Stewart rated it it was ok
Nick West penned two of the 3I books and it's a pity that they were both pretty weak. This book has a lot of slapstick banter and it turns out that "Nick West" was actually Kin Platt, who wrote among other things one of my fave TV shows Top Cat. And I can hear T.C.'s voice in this! It might as well be Chooch and Benny the Ball talking, with a little Fancy and Spook thrown in for even more laughs. But as a 3I writer, he just never got to grips with it. The story is very, very weak. The solution i ...more
Mark
Sep 01, 2009 Mark rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The boys are hired to find a missing dog, but then discover the dogs owner has spotted a coughing dragon coming up the beach in front of his house. Investigating that, the boys discover hidden caves and a long-abandoned underground railway, before coming face to face with the dragon itself. This is preposterous but such good fun that you can forgive the plot-holes (you’d use a dragon, for that purpose?) and the humorous interplay between the boys is superb (the dialogue here, in fact, is probabl ...more
Aurora
Oct 27, 2012 Aurora rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ich kannte diese Geschichte bereits als Hörspiel, aber nichtsdestotrotz hat es mir wieder viel Lesevergnügen bereitet. Stellenweise ist es mal wieder schön unheimlich. Vor allem, als die drei in das Bergwerk hinabsteigen und dort plötzlich auf besagten Drachen treffen. Einen Ausweg scheint es nicht zu geben. Was also tun? Auch die Auflösung des Ganzen finde ich sehr gut und (wenn man es noch nicht kennt, natürlich) sehr überraschend.
Diane ~Firefly~
Jul 27, 2010 Diane ~Firefly~ rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery, ya
It's been a long time since I've read a Three Investigators book. I really enjoyed them back in elementary school. I forgot what a know-it-all Jupiter is (and he isn't even the research guy). It was an ok book, but probably better for its target age audience. More interesting than Nancy Drew or the Hardy Boys and the Alfred Hitchcock tie-in adds a new level.
Pujiyanto stiffy
sebenernya 2,5/5 untuk tulisan Nick West ini.

Ga sedahsyat tulisan Robert Arthur, penulis asli serial ini, ataupun William Arden, penulis lain yang juga ikut menulis beberapa judulnya.
Kisahnya mirip Scooby Doo ini sih, dan ide dasarnya agak ngikut-ngikut salah satu kisah pendek Sherlock, dari buku The Adventure of Sherlock Holmes.
Tapi lumayan lah buat bacaan ringan.
Trey
It was a little disconcerting that the boys kept talking about how dragons don't exist "any more," as if they went extinct instead of never existing. (view spoiler)
Soňa
Feb 24, 2016 Soňa rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Iste, prečo by aj záhada zmiznutého psa, nemohla prerásť v napínavý príbeh troch pátračov?

Nemyslím, že som tento diel predtým čítala a preto bol príjemným prekvapením, i keď boli momenty, keď som tušila niektoré kroky skôr ako naši pátrači, výsledok bol veľmi dobrý, preto 5 hviezd.
Ryan Mishap
Dec 24, 2008 Ryan Mishap rated it really liked it
Shelves: when-i-was-a-lad
If only that dragon hadn't started smoking cigarettes at such a young age, he wouldn't be dying of emphysema now, lost and alone in some old bootlegger's cave.
Victoria Robinson
Dec 26, 2014 Victoria Robinson rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was the first book in this series that we have read and we really enjoyed it. It was something a little bit different and was very entertaining even if it was a little far fetched!
Serena
May 03, 2013 Serena rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
My Rating System:
Ookla the Mok
Ookla the Mok rated it liked it
Jun 12, 2014
Niketh
Niketh rated it really liked it
Oct 23, 2012
Rachel
Rachel rated it really liked it
Nov 01, 2009
Scott
Scott rated it liked it
Jan 02, 2010
Sagar123
Sagar123 rated it it was amazing
Sep 25, 2014
Yulia Tanti
Yulia Tanti rated it it was ok
Apr 23, 2009
P S Karr
P S Karr rated it it was amazing
Dec 08, 2013
Allison Tebo
Allison Tebo rated it really liked it
Dec 04, 2016
Jeremy
Jeremy rated it really liked it
Feb 08, 2013
Don Bosco
Don Bosco rated it it was amazing
Jan 07, 2012
Kein
Kein rated it it was amazing
May 26, 2012
Zharina
Zharina rated it liked it
Jul 23, 2011
Corey
Corey rated it it was amazing
Mar 31, 2012
Joseph Levesque
Joseph Levesque rated it liked it
Sep 03, 2010
Shirley Thomas
Shirley Thomas rated it liked it
Apr 29, 2012
  • The Secret of the Crooked Cat (Alfred Hitchcock and The Three Investigators, #13)
  • The Mystery of the Sinister Scarecrow (Alfred Hitchcock and The Three Investigators, #29)
  • The Mystery of the Fiery Eye (Alfred Hitchcock and The Three Investigators, #7)

Alfred Hitchcock and The Three Investigators (1 - 10 of 43 books)
  • The Secret of Terror Castle (Alfred Hitchcock and The Three Investigators, #1)
  • The Mystery of the Stuttering Parrot (Alfred Hitchcock and The Three Investigators, #2)
  • The Mystery of the Whispering Mummy (Alfred Hitchcock and The Three Investigators, #3)
  • The Mystery of the Green Ghost (Alfred Hitchcock and The Three Investigators, #4)
  • The Mystery of the Vanishing Treasure (Alfred Hitchcock and The Three Investigators, #5)
  • The Secret of Skeleton Island (Alfred Hitchcock and The Three Investigators, #6)
  • The Mystery of the Silver Spider (Alfred Hitchcock and The Three Investigators, #8)
  • The Mystery of the Screaming Clock (Alfred Hitchcock and The Three Investigators, #9)
  • The Mystery of the Moaning Cave (Alfred Hitchcock and The Three Investigators, #10)