Start by marking “The Worthy: A Ghost's Story” as Want to Read:
The Worthy: A Ghost's Story

The Worthy: A Ghost's Story

3.38  ·  Rating Details  ·  297 Ratings  ·  43 Reviews
Conrad had it pretty good in life -- a Porsche, pretty girls, and a trust fund full of oil money. But now, thanks to a brutal hazing incident at Louisiana State University's Gamma Chi fraternity, Conrad is dead -- a nineteen-year-old spirit suddenly without an earthly body.Make no mistake, the newly deceased Conrad is one angry ghost, and the object of his wrath is chapter ...more
Published June 27th 2006 by Simon & Schuster (first published 2003)

To ask other readers questions about The Worthy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Worthy

Lies We Tell Ourselves by Robin TalleyNothing Special by Geoff HerbachA Match Made in High School by Kristin WalkerGoy Crazy by Melissa SchorrThe War Between the Classes by Gloria D. Miklowitz
Yearbook Photo Covers
10th out of 12 books — 2 voters
The Secret History by Donna TarttThe Catcher in the Rye by J.D. SalingerThe Sorrows of Young Mike by John ZelaznyA Separate Peace by John KnowlesSpecial Topics in Calamity Physics by Marisha Pessl
School Novels
35th out of 60 books — 92 voters

More lists with this book...

Holly
Apr 26, 2008 Holly rated it did not like it
This was a mistake. I chose this because I was looking for something quick, fictional and light-hearted for beach reading. It was quick (I finished it in-transit on plane rides to Cancun), and it is fiction, but definitely not light-hearted. It advertises itself as a sort of dark comedy about the ghost of a fraternity pledge killed during hazing seeking revenge against the cruel, sociopathic upperclassman who murdered him. Written in the first person, the ghost, formerly a wise-ass, over-privile ...more
Ben Weagraff
Jan 23, 2008 Ben Weagraff rated it it was amazing
Shelves: personal-reading
Another wonderful adventure brought to you by the mind of Will Clarke. If there isn't a Will Clarke fan club, I think I should start one. Admittedly, his stories are quite eccentric, so perhaps they just catch my eye--I would be curious to see what others have commented about this book. Is it just me, or is this guy a hidden talent?
Amber
Mar 02, 2009 Amber rated it liked it
After hearing Will Clarke speak at the Texas Library Association's Conference last year, I was eager to read his book, "The Worthy". It's a pretty graphic ghost story in regards to hazing but entertaining. Some of the hazing descriptions may not be for the faint of heart.
Abinadi Ayerdis
Mar 14, 2013 Abinadi Ayerdis rated it it was ok
This is simultaneously violent, baffeling, and ridiculous.
John
Jul 09, 2009 John rated it liked it

If you enjoy Christopher Moore's books, you'll enjoy this: it's not as laugh-out-loud as Moore, but I had a big grin on my face much of the time while reading it, in between those times when I was horrified by the events of the novel. The ghost story part isn't horrifying; it's the college fraternity part that is.

LSU fratboy Conrad, recently murdered by fraternity supremo Ryan -- a sadistic sociopath who, who knows, if left unchecked might one day become President of the United States -- is a g
Drew Graham
Jun 16, 2015 Drew Graham rated it it was ok
Shelves: me
Recent Gamma Chi pledge Conrad Avery Sutton III is disturbed to discover that he has been killed by the golden boy big man on campus, and even more annoyed when he is forced to hover around his old frat house and observe the next round of newbies and the subsequent (horrific) hazing. He wasn't a very good kid in life, and now he's trying to figure out why he has to hang around his publicly-lauded girlfriend-beating murderer instead of moving on, since he doesn't seem to see any other lingering g ...more
Joey Zielinski
Sep 20, 2012 Joey Zielinski rated it liked it
Shelves:
1. this book is about a new member of a frat group being hazed in an accidently dieing in one of the hazings. The boys name was conrad and he was a very rich young man who had his entire life waiting for him. When conrad dies his spirit stays in the house and he wants revenge for his murder. He ends up finding out that he can take over a red-headed members body and minipulate everything he does. He can finally get revenge for his wrongful death.

2. I gave this book 3 stars because it kept my inte
Kevin C.
Feb 26, 2012 Kevin C. rated it really liked it
I just finished reading this book and I must say it was a fun read. The story revolves around Conrad Sutton III. He was part of a fraternity called Gamma Chi. Yes, you read correctly. He said he WAS a part of it. The basic plot is that he was pledging to be a brother at Gamma Chi and he ended up dead. It was not necessarily an accident, according to Conrad. He was murdered by an active brother and president of Gamma Chi, Ryan Hutchins (the antagonist). Conrad is now at present a ghost and has no ...more
Missy
Jun 20, 2012 Missy rated it liked it
Ok I know a lot of people thought this was crazy & dark, etc, and it is, but having lived thru sorority rush & the Greek life at LSU, I enjoyed reading it. It was like a trip down memory lane (NOT the hazing part, although my brother was a Kappa Sig and he did have to wear burlap underwear), and I do remember the frat parties & the beer trucks on the lawn. However, I now have a 22 year old daughter who's a senior at LSU, and I can only hope she's surviving the life down there and avo ...more
Alison
Dec 28, 2009 Alison rated it really liked it
After putting down a book I just couldn't get through (which I rarely, if ever, do), I needed something fast and easy to restore my confidence. This book hit the mark. The main character is a 19 year old ghost seeking revenge on a fraternity brother. The book contains serious subject matter (fraternity hazing) which admittedly can be quite disturbing, but the author writes in a way that combines enough humor to keep the book entertaining. If you liked A Long Way Down, you might like this book ev ...more
Rhiannon
Aug 14, 2008 Rhiannon rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I felt the story tended to meander a bit sometimes, but all in all I really enjoyed it. It was rather funny, while lightly exploring some pretty dark subjects. Much more enjoyable if you are/were in a fraternity or sorority as it deals almost exclusively with members of that set. I say it is more enjoyable then because you will find humor in some scenarios in a fond "that's so true!" way, humor in the stereotypes (I think intentionally) played up, and even a bit of sadness in stereotypes that ar ...more
Leslie
Apr 04, 2010 Leslie rated it really liked it
Wow! What a long strange trip Mr. Clarke takes you on. I found the story interesting, if not unsettling. I would recommend this book, if you are looking for something diffrent. The story, is well written, and at no time was I bored. If fact, I couldn't stop reading. But, at the same time, I wanted to put the book down because there are some really "YUCKY" storylines in there.

All in all, I did enjoy the book. But, there aren't many of my friends that I can think of that would agree with me.

Rated-
Hyejin
Mar 29, 2015 Hyejin rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
If I could give this book zero stars I would.
Becca Becca
Oct 24, 2007 Becca Becca rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: Anyone who has been in a sorority/fraternity
Shelves: modern-lit
This book is dumb. It's really dumb. I can't believe that the book service I signed-up for sent this to me because all of the other books they've sent have been great.

Even though the book is bad (crappy plot, crappy characters, stupid story, you get the idea), I found myself able to read it and mildly interested in what happened, so I'm giving it two stars. You REALLY have to turn off a good chunk of your brain to read this, though.
Lavon
Feb 11, 2010 Lavon rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read this one because my hubby suggested it. It is about a ghost at a fraternity house at LSU. Interesting enough storyline and it was fun to read about places I remember from the LSU campus. Every stereotypical thing you think about when you think of fraternities/sororities was in there. I would say it was a mildly entertaining read but not high on my recommendation list.
Robin
Feb 13, 2009 Robin rated it it was amazing
This book is great entertainment that hooks you in .....like a great chocolate cake that is sitting on your kitchen counter and you keep coming back to "even up" those slices. Will hooks you in. He does it so smoothly that you don't even realize it until you can't put it down. It's pure fun and entertainment.
Tara
Dec 29, 2010 Tara rated it really liked it
This book was fantastic. From the very beginning I was hooked. I could not wait to find out exactly what would happen, if Ryan would get caught and how the hazing would turn out. The ending was the real kicker, I'm not sure if it could of ended any other way.

Julie
May 23, 2008 Julie rated it really liked it
Not as funny as Lord Vishnu, but still had some very humorous parts. Maybe because while it was published second, it was actually written first. I originally thought I was going to give it only 3 stars, but the ending had me hooked and I didn't want to put it down.
Spencer
Jan 14, 2008 Spencer rated it it was ok
Silly book, very mindless but a very quick read if you are up for cheap entertainment. You will have to suspend your disbelief, plot is defintely a stretch. Has a soap opera type feel to it, but takes the reader back to their college days in some respects.
Jenifer
Feb 21, 2008 Jenifer rated it it was amazing
Will Clarke is a great author and I'm not just saying that because he's from my hometown, although it is nice to have someone of talent come from here. The novel is definitely twisted and he really captures the enviornment he is writing about
Erik
Apr 19, 2008 Erik rated it really liked it
This book was aptly described as "The Lovely Bones" meets "Animal House." A humorous story of the ghost of a fraternity pledge who is trying to get revenge against the fraternity president who killed him during Hell Week hazing.
debbie
Jun 27, 2007 debbie rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: anyone who likes christopher moore
great book! a kid dies during a college hazing and then haunts those around him. he is seeking revenge on the person responsible for his death. it's laugh outloud funny and you'll never look at doughnuts the same again!
Lynette
Feb 20, 2008 Lynette rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was a funny and fast-moving book. I'm interested to see how the supernatural will play out in the movie. Even though I'm well out of college, and was never in a sorority, I could envision the setting.
Christopher
Oct 26, 2008 Christopher rated it liked it
Very very funny and very brutal rendition of Greek life in college. The plot was so so but was more than made up for in the humor and hyper realistic situations.
Mlkelly80
Sep 14, 2007 Mlkelly80 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: People that like ghost stories
I am in the beginning of reading this, but it is great so far. A little different from what I usually read, but really great!!!
Angie
Feb 14, 2008 Angie rated it really liked it
I seemed to be going through a bit of a ghost period. But I will read and love anything Will Clarke puts out.
Cmayorga Mayorga
Apr 18, 2008 Cmayorga Mayorga rated it really liked it
This is a guy book about frats. Very sick, but good. I nver want Bray to be in a frat after reading this book!
Jacqueline
Mar 12, 2011 Jacqueline rated it did not like it
This book is stupid. I can't even begin to express my displeasure with it. Don't waste your time.
Ryan
Nov 14, 2010 Ryan is currently reading it
I am so excited to read this book, within the first few pages I was hooked. Can't wait to keep reading.
Chelsea
Mar 29, 2007 Chelsea rated it really liked it
Another entertaining book from Dallas's own Mr. Clarke. Set in Baton Rouge...another place I've lived.
  • Expelled from Eden: A William T. Vollmann Reader
  • How to Rule the World from Your Couch
  • Lilla's Feast: One Woman's True Story of Love and War in the Orient
  • Blood on the Ice
  • The Manikin
  • Jesus Potter Harry Christ: The Astonishing Relationship Between Two of the World's Most Popular Literary Characters: A Historical Investigation Into the Mythology and Literature of Jesus Christ and the Religious Symbolism in Rowling's Magical Series.
  • First Love
  • Girls, Girls, Girls (The Black Book: Diary of a Teenage Stud, #1)
  • Enough: Staying Human in an Engineered Age
  • Satan: His Psychotherapy and Cure by the Unfortunate Dr. Kassler, J.S.P.S.
  • Empress of Eternity
  • No More Bull!: The Mad Cowboy Targets America's Worst Enemy: Our Diet
  • Stamping Butterflies
  • If God Is Love: Rediscovering Grace in an Ungracious World (Grace Series, #2)