Start by marking “Solomon Time: An Unlikely Quest in the South Pacific” as Want to Read:
Solomon Time: An Unlikely Quest in the South Pacific

Solomon Time: An Unlikely Quest in the South Pacific

3.75 of 5 stars 3.75  ·  rating details  ·  107 ratings  ·  11 reviews
Who hasn't fantasized about dismantling his or her hassled, wired-up life for a simpler existence? Yet who among us has the will and opportunity to do it? The answer, of course, is very few.

Will Randall, a young English schoolmaster, had such a chance -- and took it. He uprooted his conventional First World life and let himself be blown to one of the farthest and most beau
Published August 1st 2007 by Scribner (first published June 6th 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Solomon Time, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Solomon Time

Lance Greenfield
A modern version of Lillian Beckwith

As a young boy, I used to delight in the books of Lillian Beckwith. She described her adventures, as she left her life as a teacher in England, to be plunged into a totally new culture as a crofter in the Western Isles of Scotland. I can remember laughing out loud as I read about the antics of some of the characters.

In Solomon Time, Will Randall describes how he leaves his life as a teacher in England, to become immersed in the very different culture of the
Ape
2008 bookcrossing:

I really, really enjoyed this book. It’s my second Randall book. This one is actually his first, marking the start of his worldwide adventures. In his early thirties, single and teaching languages at a British secondary school, he is feeling a bit stuck in a rut. Some friends of his offer him an unique job opportunity, and after an encounter with a desperate drunken woman, he accepts.

He is sent to an island in the Solomon Islands to help the locals use the money left to them by
Anke Moesinger
Amazing book. I couldn't put it down for two days and reread it a few weeks later. Randall's prose is terrific and engaging. I laughed from start to finish about his (mis)adventures in the New Georgia Group of the Western Province, Solomon Islands. His experience on Rendova Island was remarkably similar to mine (including the rats at night!) :-) A "travel" book I would highly recommend!
Victoria
I thought this was such a lovely book. Endearingly narrated, the book tells the tale of a teacher who gives up everything and ups sticks to live in the Solomon Islands and help with the community. It is a really captivating and charming story with a narrator that you can't help but love.
A nice easy read and comes well recommended.
Shannon Kelly
I really like this author. I've read all of his books, and whilst he gets increasingly self-important as he publishes more books, his first 3 are very funny and tell the story of a man who makes the most of his time.
Kat
Will Randall writes such sweet books. He has a real respect for the people he meets, and gives them real character that you love them too.

He's amusing, thoughtful and fun. An author of nice feelgood books.
Curt J
Funny and fascinating real-life adventure recounted by this traveling teacher/writer. One of my favorite books and authors.
John
Decent writer, but the book never managed to make it past mildly interesting for me.
Not the most interesting adventure, but sweetly written and has funny parts.
Victoria
Makes fun of the Islanders for a bit of a laugh. Too disrespectful.
Val
Nov 25, 2014 Val marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
25 Solomon Islands
Kellaura
Kellaura is currently reading it
Jan 26, 2015
Patricia
Patricia marked it as to-read
Oct 28, 2014
Jennifer Jacobs
Jennifer Jacobs marked it as to-read
Oct 05, 2014
Lalalalaaa
Lalalalaaa is currently reading it
Aug 31, 2014
Kelly Dunagan
Kelly Dunagan marked it as to-read
Aug 29, 2014
David Calderwood
David Calderwood marked it as to-read
Aug 26, 2014
Annalisa
Annalisa marked it as to-read
Aug 20, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
Goodreads Librari...: Please add page numbers 2 13 Feb 28, 2013 09:16AM
Botswana Time Indian Summer: A Good Man in Asia Another Long Day on the Piste: A Season in the French Alps Limey Gumshoe: The Hapless Adventures of a High-Visibility Undercover Detective