Start by marking “Lethal Heritage (Blood of Kerensky Trilogy, #1)” as Want to Read:
Lethal Heritage (Blood of Kerensky Trilogy, #1)

Lethal Heritage (Blood of Kerensky #1)

Book 1 of 3: The year is 3030. For the past three hundred years, since the Star League collapse and the rise of the Five Successor States, these mortal enemies have fought over space, land and politics. But a new threat looms just outside the Inner Sphere. The descendants of an old Star League general, the Clansbred to be the best military force humanity has ever seenhave ...more
Published June 1st 1990 by FASA Corp. (first published 1989)

To ask other readers questions about Lethal Heritage, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Lethal Heritage

Josh Ellis
Jun 07, 2012 Josh Ellis rated it it was amazing
Lethal Heritage.

The book that introduced the Clans to the BattleTech universe...

...the book that blew the mind of many, pissed off a few, and forever changed the face of a popular game...

...and...

Totally. Friggin'. AWESOME!

Lethal Heritage is forever emblazoned on my brain as both one of the best BattleTech novels, and as one of most memorable books I've ever read. The author, Mike Stackpole, does an excellent job of engrossing the reader in the sci-fi, and 'Mecha based, universe that has become
Collin
Apr 01, 2011 Collin rated it it was amazing
Normally I skip past the shelf in the bookstore where all of the RPG tie-in books live: you know, the law firm of "Salvatore, Hickman & Weis". There was a time in my life when I read all of those books, and enjoyed a great many of them, but I've never felt a compelling need to swim in those waters again. That said, every once in a while you will find a story that is truly well done. One series that stuck with me from my childhood was the "Blood of Kerensky" series by Michael Stackpole. It's ...more
Shane
Nov 20, 2016 Shane rated it it was ok
You can't go home again...

Twenty years ago or so I read this book and thought it was just great. At the time I wasn't much older than the "second generation" characters in the book - Kai Allard, Phelan Kell and the others. Also, I had played a lot of Battletech in my youth and the Clan invasion was a natural continuation in what I thought was a fascinating story of politics and war. Most of that is really still true - the Battletech Universe is vast and sprawling, yet feels very human. The techn
Gary Adams
Sep 26, 2016 Gary Adams rated it it was amazing
I read this for the first time some 15+ years ago. To this day, it's still my favorite book of all time.

Yea, OK, so I'm not all that well read. But I'm a sci-fi fan, and I enjoy this light-hearted stuff. I mean, the story is deep and engaging, but it's not dark by any means. The plot points all tie up nicely with satisfying, feel-good kind of conclusions, even if they are quite predictable. Anytime you find yourself saying, "I hope such-and-such happens" it generally happens that way.

But with th
Brad Wheeler
I picked this up on a whim because I remember enjoying it when I was younger, and re-reading Michael Stackpole's X-Wing novels is something I still do every couple of years. They still hold up.

That's not the case with this bad boy. It was entertaining enough; I still like the science fiction war feudalism thing that Battletech has going on. But the writing was really clumsy, obviously Stackpole was less experienced and confident. Lots of telling rather than showing, particularly of characters' f
Brian Turner
Feb 18, 2013 Brian Turner rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is where the Battletech novels moves from "The Original Series" to "The Next Generation".
The mysterious clans enter the Inner Sphere, and the families from the Great Houses give their children a degree of responsibility.
Victor Steiner Davion and Kai Allard Liao have graduated from their respective military academies and get a taste of action and command.

The real feeling in this book is how no-one knows what they're up against. Superior mechs, battle armour, and an implacable foe which has n
Xan
Nov 14, 2014 Xan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
La Esfera Interior está siendo invadida por un ejército armado con Mechs más modernos y poderosos. Las distintas casas tratan de detenerlas por separado pero uno tras otro son derrotados. La nueva generación; los hijos de Hanse Davion, Theodore Kurita, Justin Allard y el resto de protagonistas de la primera trilogía; toman el relevo en el campo de batalla. ¿Podrán aprender nuevas tácticas o está condenada la Esfera Interior a perecer a manos de los bárbaros?
La respuesta en el resto de la trilogí
Robert
Feb 16, 2015 Robert rated it really liked it
A fantastic introduction to the Battletech universe, although the huge number of names, places, nations, and other sci-fi aspects can leave one's head spinning. The author does a great job of highlighting many of the prominent factions within Battletech lore, making each one seem interesting and (at least somewhat) justified in their bids for power within the setting. The novel left me excited for more and helped to bring me up to speed on this classic sci-fi franchise.
Eric Lawson
Feb 02, 2013 Eric Lawson rated it really liked it
Shelves: science-fiction
Lethal Heritage is the first in the Blood of Kerensky trilogy by Michael A. Stackpole. While the first set of Battletech books covered the generation of Hanse Davion, Theodore Kurita and Morgan Kell. Now it's time for their children Victor Davion, Hohiro Kurita and Phelan Kell to have their impact on the Inner Sphere. I first read this book almost 20 years ago and since starting to reread the Battletech series of books I've been looking forward to this one. It didn't disappoint a second time.
Juanfra Valero
Jun 10, 2014 Juanfra Valero rated it really liked it
El primer libro de los clanes, donde se narra la invasión de los mismos de la esfera interior. Empieza muy bien, es la primera parte de una trilogía. Mantiene muy bien el ritmo y la tensión, y no se desvía. Ahora el punto de vista para a los hijos de los protagonistas de los libros anteriores: Victor Steiner-Davion, hijo de Hanse Davion y Melissa Steiner, Kai Allard Liao, hijo de Candace Liao y Justin Allar, y Phelan Kell, hijo de Morgan Kell.
H.L. Reasby
Dec 01, 2011 H.L. Reasby rated it really liked it
As always, I thoroughly enjoyed Michael's writing. He does a fantastic job of making the Clans an alien culture and illustrating the confusion of a character thrown into it. My only gripe is that I don't particularly care of the character of Phelan Kell... but I'm hoping he'll grow on me in the next two books.
Dana West
Mar 16, 2016 Dana West rated it liked it
Solid 3 stars. I don't feel particularly fond of any of the characters and I wanted more backstory and less description of cannons, LRMs, and materials ( ferrocite).

There is one chapter that has a very interesting prison break that I really enjoyed.

I'll take a break from Giant, Stompy robots before I start book 2.
Craig a.k.a Meatstack
Hey, it's science fiction based on one of my geeky obsessions. Unless you are interested in Battletech, move on.
Efrain Guzman-Rosario
May 05, 2007 Efrain Guzman-Rosario rated it it was amazing
Read this book during my High School days
Allen Shepherd
May 03, 2015 Allen Shepherd rated it really liked it
I have been reading this book over and over for decades. it is what got me into Battletech. This is such a great story.
Kavinay
Oct 21, 2016 Kavinay rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I know the story, but it's still fun. Stackpole shows us how the Inner sphere and the Clans are basically a more exciting take on Game of Thrones than what GRRM would later publish in 1996!
Alex
Sep 08, 2007 Alex rated it it was amazing
Extremely well done, Stackpole submerges you into the Battletech universe once again but this time with the frightening new enemy known as the Clans.

Hurray for Phelan! He rocks...
I.F. Adams
The invasion of the clans in the epically designed battletech universe. Think barbarian invasions in space.
Konstantine Chaikov
Konstantine Chaikov rated it it was amazing
Feb 06, 2013
Chris Block
Chris Block rated it it was amazing
Oct 28, 2013
Mirakelei
Mirakelei rated it liked it
Oct 04, 2012
RichPaw
RichPaw rated it really liked it
Nov 10, 2015
Learethus
Learethus rated it it was amazing
Jan 06, 2012
Christopher Kain
Christopher Kain rated it really liked it
Sep 17, 2013
Christopher Beggs
Christopher Beggs rated it it was amazing
Feb 15, 2015
Mickeyita.org
Mickeyita.org rated it liked it
Oct 30, 2013
Dave
Dave rated it it was amazing
Nov 05, 2008
Phil
Phil rated it really liked it
Jan 08, 2014
Brett
Brett rated it it was amazing
Jul 10, 2013
Andrew
Andrew rated it really liked it
Oct 15, 2013
  • Wolves on the Border
  • The Price of Glory (Saga of the Gray Death Legion, #3)
  • I Am Jade Falcon
  • Operation Audacity
  • Endgame
  • The Hunters (Twilight of the Clans, #3)
  • Ideal War
  • Blood of Heroes (Saga of the Grey Death Legion, #4)

Blood of Kerensky (3 books)
  • Blood Legacy (Blood of Kerensky Trilogy, #2)
  • Lost Destiny (Blood of Kerensky Trilogy, #3)