The Secret of the Golden Pavilion (Nancy Drew, #36)

The Secret of the Golden Pavilion (Nancy Drew #36)

3.9 of 5 stars 3.90  ·  rating details  ·  2,538 ratings  ·  35 reviews
Nancy is on the case, once again! Her father’s client, Mr.Sakamaki needs help. His deceased grandfather’s estate, Kaluakua has a mystery nobody knows. Its Golden Pavilion may be haunted, and two middle-aged suspects claim to be the grand children of Grandfather Sakamaki and are going to run and take over the estate. Nancy must prove them wrong and stop a terrible gang call...more
192 pages
Published (first published 1959)

To ask other readers questions about The Secret of the Golden Pavilion, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Secret of the Golden Pavilion

The Secret of the Old Clock by Carolyn KeeneThe Hidden Staircase by Carolyn KeeneThe Secret of Shadow Ranch by Carolyn KeeneThe Whispering Statue by Carolyn KeeneThe Bungalow Mystery by Carolyn Keene
Nancy Drew Mystery Stories
40th out of 74 books — 60 voters
The Clue of the Tapping Heels by Carolyn KeeneThe Secret of the Old Clock by Carolyn KeeneThe Hidden Staircase by Carolyn KeeneThe Bungalow Mystery by Carolyn KeeneThe Mystery at Lilac Inn by Carolyn Keene
Everything Nancy Drew
19th out of 154 books — 4 voters

More lists with this book...

John Yelverton
Another great addition to the Nancy Drew mystery book series.
Mary Kate
By this point, reading a Nancy Drew novel is like a visit with an old friend. I first began reading Nancy Drew as a third grader, and reluctantly at that, going on a recommendation from my mother. However, I quickly fell in love with the ever ready sleuth and her faithful friends. The mysteries kept me entertained and I felt a connection with Nancy, a girl who had it all together at all times. Even in the most dangerous of situations, Nancy never lost her cool. She was one of my biggest role mod...more
Snail in Danger (Sid) Nicolaides
I came across this in the library catalogue when I was trying to remember the name of Island Boy. (Fiction set in Hawaii being my search term.) And I used to love reading Nancy Drew books, so I figured, why not.

And now I wonder ... where they always this, well, terrible? Was the characterization always so thin? Nancy is smart, George is a tomboy, Bess likes to eat? (Seriously. Here that was about it.)

If I were wishing to introduce a young person to Nancy Drew, I would definitely not start with t...more
Phe☽♃
The Secret of the Golden Pavilion is a children's story by Carolyn Keene (pseudonym) and the 36th book in the Nancy Drew series.

Attempts are made against Nancy's life when she accepts a case in Honolulu. She must decipher strange symbols written on a piece of paper in order to learn the mystery behind an estate inherited by her client. Why won't Mr. Sakamaki's grandfather allow him to sell the beautiful Kaluakua estate until the mystery is solved? Furthermore, who are these mysterious people
Tabi34
Wow, it just struck me how dated these books are. It wasn't the lack of technology that drove that point home, but what was acceptable.

Nancy and her friends land in Hawaii to solve a mystery. Nancy refers to it as the newest state and George gives the readers a lot of facts about the state. Today we would never refer to it as our newest state. The author throws in a lot of Polynesian words and phrases, once again, things I believe writers today would leave out.

What makes it dated is the cultur...more
Kaethe
Ah, the beloved Miss Drew of River Heights, up to something, somewhere. They're like Nacho Cheese Flavor Doritos. Although they differ from one another, we perceive them as being the same. Which explains the successful formula of Pringles: now, with more more homogeneity.
Maria
I remember this was the very first Nancy Drew book I've ever read and it got me started on the Keene mysteries, a big part of my childhood reading. I must have liked it, it caused me to read all the Nancy Drew titles I could get my hands on, initially from our school library, and later elsewhere. (It's all a blur to me now however. I remember liking the stories as a kid, Nancy's titian blonde hair, -- the description stayed with me "titian blonde hair" -- plump Bess, tomboyish George, Hannah Gru...more
♆ BookAddict ~ La Crimson Femme
I remember the first time I read Nancy Drew. It blew my mind that there were girls presented with a brain. Most of the stuff I'd read up to that time, was that girls were sugar and spice - fluffy. No brains. To also learn about George who is a tomboy was a nice validation. Carolyn Keene wrote just for me! That is how I felt. When I did more research, I was shocked to find out, Ms. Keene was actually a man ... writing under Franklin Dixon. I also loved the Hardy Boys. No wonder I loved these seri...more
Meryll Anne
I THINK this was my first Nancy Drew story. It's the book that opened me to the world of reading.
Joy Gerbode
Another typical Nancy Drew mystery. In many books I enjoy the fact that I learn something about a new area while Nancy is solving the mystery. In this book I felt like it was mostly about the area of Hawaii, and less about the mystery, though that was certainly there, too. A quick and easy read ...
Linda
This was my first Nancy Drew and I bought it as a tribute to my beloved Gram who had just come back from a trip to Hawaii. In those days, a huge undertaking and a very exotic destination even though it had become a state.

One volume made me hungry for all the rest of them.
Jessi
In this story, Nancy and the gang (including Hannah!) travel to Hawaii to help a man keep control of his inheritance. They have to solve Hawaiian codes, the mystery of a ghostly luau dancer, and learn about native vegetation.
Xotzin
I read them all and I loved every single one of them and I now realise that if I check each one of them I will be here all nite so thank you Carolyn Keene you rawk sister !
Debra
this is in honor of the new movie and all of the mysteries that I read as child. I favored Trixie Belden, but I"m going to give this a re-read. found it on my mom's bookshelf.
Anna Elizabeth
awesome! I loved this book,so you probably will too. it was so suspenceful,and there were at least twenty times I was really,really,REALLY tence. READ THIS BOOK!
Catherine Woodman
I read all of these as a teen and loved them--I really wanted to be Nancy Drew--the recent movie of course nixed that wish but it was long held
Eliza
This was my only disappointment in the Nancy Drew books, the mystery was ok and the end was not great. I would not recommend this to anyone.
Stacey
What a fitting story for the introduction of Hawaii to statehood. Learned a lot about the local lore and enjoyed a good myistery.
afdkalfjdkafjldkajfldsajfklda;sfjdkasljfkalsfjda dfjkdsafjdksafjkdsajfkdsa;fkdjsafkl;df
This is an awesome Nancy Drew book that thankfully branches out from just River Heights. I LOVE IT!!!!!
Caitlin
The Secret of the Golden Pavilion (Nancy Drew Mystery Stories, No 36) by Carolyn Keene (1959)
Ashley FL
I really liked this one (and loved the Hawaii setting -- this girl gets to do a lot of traveling!)
Nikki
Might be my favorite one yet, loved that it was in Hawaii.
Elyse
See my review for "The Secret of the Old Clock."
Julia
Sep 24, 2010 Julia added it
i stoped in the middle i got tired of it
Ashley
It was amajing i just absolutly loved that book.
Aditi
just like any other nancy drew book :)
Marts  (Thinker)
Another great Nancy Drew mystery!
Kimberly
Jul 25, 2010 Kimberly rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Any Nancy Drew fanatic
Good Nancy Drew, I think
Amanda
Loves it!!!!!!!!!!!!
Demonhunter
I really like these books.
Nancy Drew Readers: The Secret of the Golden Pavilion #36 discussion topic 12 7 Aug 18, 2014 07:19AM
  • The Clue in the Embers (Hardy Boys, #35)
  • The Mystery of the Midnight Marauder (Trixie Belden #30)

Edna and Harriet Stratemeyer inherited the company from their father Edward Str...more
More about Carolyn Keene...
The Secret of the Old Clock (Nancy Drew, #1) The Hidden Staircase (Nancy Drew, #2) Nancy Drew: #1-64 The Bungalow Mystery (Nancy Drew, #3) The Mystery at Lilac Inn (Nancy Drew, #4)