Start by marking “The Secret of the Golden Pavilion (Nancy Drew, #36)” as Want to Read:
The Secret of the Golden Pavilion (Nancy Drew, #36)

The Secret of the Golden Pavilion (Nancy Drew #36)

3.92  ·  Rating Details ·  3,291 Ratings  ·  52 Reviews
Nancy is on the case, once again! Her father’s client, Mr.Sakamaki needs help. His deceased grandfather’s estate, Kaluakua has a mystery nobody knows. Its Golden Pavilion may be haunted, and two middle-aged suspects claim to be the grand children of Grandfather Sakamaki and are going to run and take over the estate. Nancy must prove them wrong and stop a terrible gang call ...more
Published November 12th 1992 by Armada (first published 1959)

To ask other readers questions about The Secret of the Golden Pavilion, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Secret of the Golden Pavilion

Katherine
Dec 10, 2014 Katherine rated it it was amazing
A ghostly hula dancer, a black lei, a slippery slope. Many more strange things happen as Nancy tackles this intriguing mystery. When Nancy is told of the mystery at Kaluakua, she immediately goes to Hawaii. However, at Kaluakua, she is surrounded by strange happenings. Slowly, the mystery unfolds as Nancy not only solves the mystery, but learns some Hawaiian cultures and symbols.

One of the many reasons I love this book is that it is always pulling you (or at least me) in to read it. There are t
Mary Kate
Jun 14, 2013 Mary Kate rated it really liked it
Shelves: my-library
By this point, reading a Nancy Drew novel is like a visit with an old friend. I first began reading Nancy Drew as a third grader, and reluctantly at that, going on a recommendation from my mother. However, I quickly fell in love with the ever ready sleuth and her faithful friends. The mysteries kept me entertained and I felt a connection with Nancy, a girl who had it all together at all times. Even in the most dangerous of situations, Nancy never lost her cool. She was one of my biggest role mod ...more
John Yelverton
Jul 31, 2011 John Yelverton rated it it was amazing
Another great addition to the Nancy Drew mystery book series.
Karen
Jan 02, 2016 Karen rated it really liked it
I started this book with my granddaughter Jane when she was visiting over the holidays. Just had to finish it this morning. I will read it with her again during her next visit. Carolyn Keen is a master at ending each chapter with a cliff-hanger! Jane loved this aspect always pleading, "Read the next chapter! We can't stop here!."
Snail in Danger (Sid) Nicolaides
I came across this in the library catalogue when I was trying to remember the name of Island Boy. (Fiction set in Hawaii being my search term.) And I used to love reading Nancy Drew books, so I figured, why not.

And now I wonder ... where they always this, well, terrible? Was the characterization always so thin? Nancy is smart, George is a tomboy, Bess likes to eat? (Seriously. Here that was about it.)

If I were wishing to introduce a young person to Nancy Drew, I would definitely not start with t
Seema ♥Nerdgirl♥
Debating whether to rate it four or five stars...
I loved it! This Nancy Drew book was just amazing! I loved picturing Hawaii, and I loved that Ned, Burt, and Dave were in it! I love it when the boys join Nancy and her friends on the case. I really would like to read more Nancy Drew books with the boys in it! It's really fun reading about them.
I just loved it!
Except I'm still not sure whether to give it a four or five... :/
Audrey
May 28, 2017 Audrey rated it really liked it
A welcome relief from many of the previous books in which the girls are only saved by the boys and Mr. Drew.
Phe
Nov 13, 2013 Phe rated it really liked it
The Secret of the Golden Pavilion is a children's story by Carolyn Keene (pseudonym) and the 36th book in the Nancy Drew series.

Attempts are made against Nancy's life when she accepts a case in Honolulu. She must decipher strange symbols written on a piece of paper in order to learn the mystery behind an estate inherited by her client. Why won't Mr. Sakamaki's grandfather allow him to sell the beautiful Kaluakua estate until the mystery is solved? Furthermore, who are these mysterious peopl
Tabi34
Feb 02, 2013 Tabi34 rated it really liked it
Shelves: nancy-drew
Wow, it just struck me how dated these books are. It wasn't the lack of technology that drove that point home, but what was acceptable.

Nancy and her friends land in Hawaii to solve a mystery. Nancy refers to it as the newest state and George gives the readers a lot of facts about the state. Today we would never refer to it as our newest state. The author throws in a lot of Polynesian words and phrases, once again, things I believe writers today would leave out.

What makes it dated is the cultur
Xyra
Jan 28, 2015 Xyra rated it it was amazing
This one was amazing; mostly due to the setting. I LOVE Hawaii and hope to get there sometime. In the meantime, the detailed descriptions in this mystery made me feel as if I were there.

The main premise of this is not new to mystery readers - a grand inheritance going to one heir and suddenly other heirs try to prove themselves to get fast cash. Or treasure in this case. A grand treasure is tied to a sprawling Hawaiian estate, but the true heir is unable to figure out the first clue. He hires Mr
Sarah Crawford
Jan 19, 2016 Sarah Crawford rated it really liked it
This is book 36 in the Nancy Drew series. The story centers on a pavilion on an estate in Hawaii. It opens with Nancy in a helicopter watching someone break into their house. The thief takes papers and a Polynesian artifact.

Mr. Sakamaki is working with Mr. Drew to deal with a couple of suddenly-appearing relatives claiming that part of an estate of his father is owed to them. Behind all of this, of course, is the main bad guy, Jim O'Keefe, a hardened gangster, and an entire gang, the Double Sco
Maria
Jul 10, 2012 Maria rated it really liked it
I remember this was the very first Nancy Drew book I've ever read and it got me started on the Keene mysteries, a big part of my childhood reading. I must have liked it, it caused me to read all the Nancy Drew titles I could get my hands on, initially from our school library, and later elsewhere. (It's all a blur to me now however. I remember liking the stories as a kid, Nancy's titian blonde hair, -- the description stayed with me "titian blonde hair" -- plump Bess, tomboyish George, Hannah Gru ...more
Melanie
This one opens with Nancy and her dog in a helicopter. They fly over her house just in time to see a burglar sneaking into her attic, and the pilot radios the tower who dispatches police, but they don't catch him. Of course.

This is part of the travelogue series, and Nancy goes to Hawaii in this one! And finds a crappy treasure. Hannah and B&G and the three boys all go too. The bad guy has a distinctive habit of drumming his fingers and touching the tips of his forefingers together.

Mr Drew i
♆ BookAddict  ✒ La Crimson Femme
I remember the first time I read Nancy Drew. It blew my mind that there were girls presented with a brain. Most of the stuff I'd read up to that time, was that girls were sugar and spice - fluffy. No brains. To also learn about George who is a tomboy was a nice validation. Carolyn Keene wrote just for me! That is how I felt. When I did more research, I was shocked to find out, Ms. Keene was actually a man ... writing under Franklin Dixon. I also loved the Hardy Boys. No wonder I loved these seri ...more
Joy Gerbode
Aug 18, 2012 Joy Gerbode rated it liked it
Another typical Nancy Drew mystery. In many books I enjoy the fact that I learn something about a new area while Nancy is solving the mystery. In this book I felt like it was mostly about the area of Hawaii, and less about the mystery, though that was certainly there, too. A quick and easy read ...
Jessi
Nov 11, 2010 Jessi rated it liked it
In this story, Nancy and the gang (including Hannah!) travel to Hawaii to help a man keep control of his inheritance. They have to solve Hawaiian codes, the mystery of a ghostly luau dancer, and learn about native vegetation.
Cece
Aug 02, 2015 Cece rated it really liked it
Nancy's your recovers the inheritance stated in an old Hawaiian gentleman's will and brings the dangerous Double Scorps Gang to justice, as her father, all lawyer, helps to set all the old man's estate. An interesting and enjoyable read.
Linda
Nov 14, 2008 Linda rated it it was amazing
This was my first Nancy Drew and I bought it as a tribute to my beloved Gram who had just come back from a trip to Hawaii. In those days, a huge undertaking and a very exotic destination even though it had become a state.

One volume made me hungry for all the rest of them.
Kaethe
Ah, the beloved Miss Drew of River Heights, up to something, somewhere. They're like Nacho Cheese Flavor Doritos. Although they differ from one another, we perceive them as being the same. Which explains the successful formula of Pringles: now, with more more homogeneity.
Mandie Compagner
Nov 04, 2014 Mandie Compagner rated it really liked it
This book had a lot of good description and good vocabulary that made me feel like I was in the book. I got really intense toward the end of the book, but in the beginning it was a little bit boring.
Gale
Feb 15, 2011 Gale rated it really liked it
Read in 2005.
Theresa
Jul 24, 2011 Theresa rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: review
The Secret of the Golden Pavilion (Nancy Drew, #36)
Keene, Carolyn
a good mystery about a mystery of golden pavilion and the events
Mskychick
Placeholder for reread of Magic Bites by Ilona Andrews
Ashley FL
Jan 20, 2010 Ashley FL rated it liked it
I really liked this one (and loved the Hawaii setting -- this girl gets to do a lot of traveling!)
Heather
international Nancy! hawaii. fast passed and full of excitement.
Catherine Woodman
I read all of these as a teen and loved them--I really wanted to be Nancy Drew--the recent movie of course nixed that wish but it was long held
Julia
Sep 24, 2010 Julia added it
i stoped in the middle i got tired of it
Nikki
May 13, 2012 Nikki rated it really liked it
Shelves: nancy-drew
Might be my favorite one yet, loved that it was in Hawaii.
Xotzin
Feb 24, 2009 Xotzin rated it it was amazing
I read them all and I loved every single one of them and I now realise that if I check each one of them I will be here all nite so thank you Carolyn Keene you rawk sister !
Julie
May 22, 2015 Julie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Enjoyed the book being set in Hawaii and the Hawaiian customs being intertwined in the story.
Nancy Drew Readers: The Secret of the Golden Pavilion #36 discussion topic 12 13 Aug 17, 2014 10:19PM
  • The Mystery of the Midnight Marauder (Trixie Belden #30)
  • The Clue in the Embers (Hardy Boys, #35)
  • The Mystery Off Glen Road (Trixie Belden, #5)

Edna and Harriet Stratemeyer inherited the company from their father Edward Str
More about Carolyn Keene...

Nancy Drew (1 - 10 of 175 books)
  • The Secret of the Old Clock (Nancy Drew, #1)
  • The Hidden Staircase (Nancy Drew #2)
  • The Bungalow Mystery (Nancy Drew, #3)
  • The Mystery at Lilac Inn (Nancy Drew, #4)
  • The Secret of Shadow Ranch (Nancy Drew, #5)
  • The Secret of Red Gate Farm (Nancy Drew, #6)
  • The Clue in the Diary (Nancy Drew, #7)
  • Nancy's Mysterious Letter (Nancy Drew, #8)
  • The Sign of the Twisted Candles (Nancy Drew, #9)
  • Password to Larkspur Lane (Nancy Drew, #10)

“The others laughed and Burt said, "All you need are girls who paddle like boys, and you're set!” 3 likes