Start by marking “Mennonite Community Cookbook” as Want to Read:
Mennonite Community Cookbook

Mennonite Community Cookbook

4.29 of 5 stars 4.29  ·  rating details  ·  55 ratings  ·  9 reviews
Mary Emma Showalter has compiled favorite recipes from hundreds of Mennonite women noted for their excellent cooking. Tantalizing dishes brought to this country directly from old Dutch, German, Swiss, and Russian kitchens. Original directions like 'a dab of cinnamon' or 'ten blubs of molasses' have been standardized to help you get the same wonderful individuality and flav ...more
Spiral, 494 pages
Published September 1st 1992 by Herald Press (VA) (first published January 1st 1950)

To ask other readers questions about Mennonite Community Cookbook, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mennonite Community Cookbook

Sahara
I find it hard to believe the recipes came from the earlier generations of simple hard working people. The ingredients are very processed 1950's- 60's sounding stuff. I am giving it 2 stars because I'm a sucker for any cook book, even if hot dogs are on the ingredients list.
Lori Tatar
This is not our mom's, nor our grandmother's nor maybe even your great grandmother's cookbook. These are mostly old, authentic, traditional recipes that have been passed down for generations. I even found a few that I thought were lost. You'll be using the freshest ingredients since only a rare few call for a can of anything. And, in case you need it, there is a spot at the back with instructions on what to cook for a barnraising, enough for 175 men. There are more tips and general suggestions a ...more
Nancy Gail
Great cookbook with a lots of traditional recipes. It's a little hard to read and choose as there are a lot of recipes and no photos of finished food. Some recipes are simple and could use further instruction.
Jamesirwin19
Three generations of Irwin cooks have used this. My grandmother, my mother, and now me. Quite simply, this my favorite cookbook. The meatloaf recipe saved me from having to admit to my Aunt Mary that I didn't know how to cook meatloaf. More importantly, it saved me from the 30 minute long lecture on "how she would cook it".
Fredrick Danysh
A collection of old-fashioned recipes from the Mennonite community. There are over 1,100 delicious recipes in this collection. Everything is made from scratch.
Donna Godfrey
This is the book I used when I learned to cook and I go to it often. I have my grandma's copy and that makes it special because she taught me to love to cook.
Stephanie
A gift from my grandmother.
Simply the best rhubarb crisp recipe I've ever seen or tasted.
Sandra
Best Shoo Fly Pie recipe. Also the chicken pot pie
Sara Garcia
Sara Garcia marked it as to-read
Jul 10, 2015
Jocelyn Condenzio-Hall
Jocelyn Condenzio-Hall marked it as to-read
Jun 02, 2015
Kimberley Hynes
Kimberley Hynes marked it as to-read
Veronica
Veronica marked it as to-read
Lan
Lan marked it as to-read
Jessica
Jessica marked it as to-read
Onena
Onena marked it as to-read
Darla
Darla marked it as to-read
Eric Olsen
Eric Olsen marked it as to-read
Velda
Velda marked it as to-read
Larry Hall
Larry Hall marked it as to-read
Rhonda L.
Rhonda L. marked it as to-read
MS
MS marked it as to-read
Aria
Aria marked it as to-read
M.c.turner
M.c.turner marked it as to-read
May 31, 2015
Jennifer marked it as to-read
Ashley
Ashley marked it as to-read
Darlene
Darlene marked it as to-read
Billie
Billie marked it as to-read
  • Living Cuisine: The Art of Spirit of Raw Foods
  • Whole Grains Every Day, Every Way
  • Weber's Big Book of Grilling
  • Pressure Perfect: Two Hour Taste in Twenty Minutes Using Your Pressure Cooker
  • The German Cookbook: A Complete Guide to Mastering Authentic German Cooking
  • Making the Best of Basics: Family Preparedness Handbook
  • Breakfast for Dinner: Recipes for Frittata Florentine, Huevos Rancheros, Sunny-Side-Up Burgers, and More!
  • Please to the Table: The Russian Cookbook
  • Ball Blue Book of Preserving
  • Kaffeehaus: Exquisite Desserts from the Classic Cafés of Vienna, Budapest and Prague
  • Herbs & Spices: The Cook's Reference