Start by marking “Fantasy: The Best of the Year, 2008 Edition” as Want to Read:
Fantasy: The Best of the Year, 2008 Edition

Fantasy: The Best of the Year, 2008 Edition (Fantasy: The Best of the Year)

3.95 of 5 stars 3.95  ·  rating details  ·  38 ratings  ·  6 reviews
The best stories of the year: here is a collection of the best fantasy prose written in 2007, by some of the genre's greatest authors, and selected by Rich Horton, a contributing reviewer to many of the field's most respected magazines.
Mass Market Paperback, 460 pages
Published September 30th 2008 by Cosmos Books (first published January 15th 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Fantasy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Fantasy

Janine Southard
Disclosure #1: I tend to deeply dislike short stories written after 1960. They are usually full of over-description with a lack of plot. So, I 'm not a short story kind of person.

Disclosure #2: I bought this collection purely because my childhood friend has a story in it. So I'm more than slightly biased...and I only read as far as her entry.

As you may expect from the above, this volume is not for me. It's full of pretty descriptions that go nowhere. A few notable exceptions that make this volum
Cait
I really enjoyed this collection -- I didn't read it cover to cover, as you can tell from the liveblogging status updates, but I did end up reading every story in it. (I always feel a little embarrassed when I circumvent an editor's careful sequence of stories, but in this case I'm glad I did: I don't think I would have wanted to end on the last story in this book, which was The Master Miller's Tale by Ian R. MacLeod. I don't like my fantasy (1) emo or (2) mostly horror.)

Stories I did really lik
Althea Ann
Above-average collection of short stories. Most are 'modern' rather than 'classic' fantasy.

Contents:
“Public Safety” by Matthew Johnson
“Stray” by Benjamin Rosenbaum and David Ackert
“The
Liviu
A very enjoyable anthology with some great stories mostly read by me when originally published but also two or three new ones.

The Goss and Abraham stories published originally in Logorrhea are outstanding, but I loved several more stories too including Zivkovic and McLeod.
Nicole

The stories in this collection were not engaging enough to draw me to finish reading it. Not recommended.
Punk
Oct 13, 2010 Punk marked it as find-and-read
Includes a story by Kelly Link.
Stanley Faris
Stanley Faris marked it as to-read
Jan 18, 2015
Juice21
Juice21 marked it as to-read
Dec 09, 2014
Brandon
Brandon marked it as to-read
Nov 18, 2014
Scott Haworth
Scott Haworth marked it as to-read
Oct 22, 2014
Paul
Paul marked it as to-read
Aug 14, 2014
Ari  P.
Ari P. marked it as to-read
Aug 05, 2014
Don
Don marked it as to-read
May 20, 2014
Taryn
Taryn added it
May 18, 2014
Cait
Cait marked it as to-read
May 14, 2014
Poeticdemise
Poeticdemise marked it as to-read
Nov 16, 2013
Chris
Chris marked it as to-read
Sep 04, 2013
Amanda Gronemeyer
Amanda Gronemeyer marked it as to-read
Aug 31, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 next »

Fantasy: The Best of the Year (4 books)
  • Fantasy: The Best of the Year, 2006 Edition
  • Fantasy: The Best of the Year, 2007 Edition
  • Fantasy: The Best of the Year, 2009
The Year's Best Science Fiction & Fantasy, 2012 The Year's Best Science Fiction & Fantasy, 2009 The Year's Best Science Fiction & Fantasy, 2010 Fantasy: The Best of the Year, 2007 Edition The Year's Best Science Fiction & Fantasy, 2013