Start by marking “Fun with Dick and Jane” as Want to Read:
Fun with Dick and Jane

Fun with Dick and Jane (Read With Dick and Jane)

3.80  ·  Rating Details  ·  318 Ratings  ·  58 Reviews
You'll love revisiting a fond part of your childhood when sharing these classic Dick and Jane books with your students. With innocent entertaining exploits and simple repetitive declarations, these charming characters helped millions of Americans learn to read. Now they are available for a whole new generation!
Published January 1st 2004 by Abdo Publishing Company (first published 1951)

To ask other readers questions about Fun with Dick and Jane, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Fun with Dick and Jane

Harold and the Purple Crayon by Crockett JohnsonCorduroy by Don FreemanWhere the Wild Things Are by Maurice SendakMadeline by Ludwig BemelmansThe Cat in the Hat by Dr. Seuss
Classic Picture Book Characters
55th out of 62 books — 13 voters
Fun with Dick and Jane by Pearson Scott ForesmanLittle Critter by Mercer MayerA Birthday for Bear by Bonny BeckerPolar Brrr's Big Adventure (Early Reader) by Bruce LanskyDisney/Pixar Story Collection by Walt Disney Company
First Readers
1st out of 5 books — 2 voters

More lists with this book...

Steven Phillips
Jun 14, 2007 Steven Phillips added it
Recommends it for: people who like disapointmint
i didnt understand this book at ALL. what is dick running from? is he gay? why isnt he trying to bang this chick? why was i forced to read this book FIVE fucking times just so i could write a report on it as punishment for drawing in it? my art is way more fucking interesting then the stupid lame plot is in this fucking piece of literary dung...
Janet
Mar 24, 2012 Janet rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrens
This is how I learned to read before starting kindergarten in the mid 1950's. It is probably the most important book I ever read. I was a fan of Dick, Jane and Spot. I enjoyed the illustrations, because they gave me context cues, and/or the reward for knowing that I read the words correctly.

I will not criticize the book for gender discrimination, since the book reflected the social norms of the day. It was not until I was about age 6 or 7, that I caught onto gender discrimination. Around that ag
Bill Daniels
Feb 05, 2015 Bill Daniels rated it it was amazing
This was the very first book I ever read!!!!!!

Of course, the edition was printed years ago before I entered first grade at Jefferson School back in 1955.

Mrs. White taught me and my classmates to read. She was a dour sort. As I recall, she took us through exercises that involved combinations of letters and words for different sounds on oblong cards. Then, she threw us in the deep end and dropped "Fun with Dick and Jane" on us.

I grooved on it all easily and enthusiastically. I was in the "Blue Gro
Aurora
Feb 18, 2015 Aurora rated it it was ok
For more of my reviews check out my website www.buzzonbooks.com.

If you don't know Dick and Jane the books than you are obviously too young to be my friend. No, I'm kidding, but really.. where have you been?

Dick and Jane were my friends, they helped me learn to read. When it comes to interest, they weren't so good. The stories are a little bland but the repetition and use of key vocabulary and sight words make them a must have for new readers.

There is a lot of history behind these two characters
Jill
Mar 07, 2013 Jill rated it it was ok
Shelves: picture-book
Published- New York : Grosset & Dunlap, 2004, c1940.
ISBN- 0-448-43411-3 (pbk.)
Genre- Realistic Fiction
Reading Level- Kindergarten-1st grade

This is an easy reader for sure. This story is about a family with a mother, father, brother Dick, sister Jane and little sister Sally. Each of the children does a specific action throughout the book. There are 6 chapters starting with "Look Up", "Who Is It", "Something Pretty", "Where Is Sally", "Jane Helps Mother", and "A Funny Ride". These chapter ti
Linda
May 08, 2016 Linda rated it liked it
One of the first of the Dick and Jane series, this book is very repetitious and introduces students to common everyday words including those related to play. Although some terms are somewhat dated, i.e. Father and Mother, the books can be readily understood and include terms all children should know.
Samantha Van Prooyen
Dec 07, 2015 Samantha Van Prooyen rated it it was ok
Shelves: own-physical, 2015
Literally the ONLY reason I read this was for the "moms favorite book" part of the 50 book challenge. I asked her for her favorite book and this is what she handed me \_(ツ)_/. The other option was Apaches by Lorenzo Carcaterra but at this point in the year, I don't have time for lengthy books. ...more
Michele Lacroix
Jan 29, 2015 Michele Lacroix rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kids
this is the first book I ever read. yes it's simple,but for a five year old this book is pretty simple and that's what they need
John McELdowney
Sep 27, 2015 John McELdowney rated it it was amazing
At the time I read it, it was the best book I'd ever read. Of course, it was the first book I'd ever read.
Meagan Gamblin
Feb 24, 2014 Meagan Gamblin rated it it was amazing
This is possibly the first book that I ever read, and helped me be able to read BEFORE kindergarten!
Kenneth McWatt
Feb 24, 2016 Kenneth McWatt rated it it was amazing
Loved it....Ok, maybe I went back a little too far!
J.J. Meddaugh
Sep 06, 2015 J.J. Meddaugh rated it it was ok
The plot development disappointed me.
Sep 20, 2014 Jennifer rated it really liked it
Shelves: children
One of the first books i read.
Melissa
Bree
Sep 29, 2014 Bree rated it it was amazing
Shelves: early-readers
Notes:
best books in this category
Glen C
Jan 25, 2014 Glen C rated it it was amazing
My first reading book. A treasure.
Lori
Nov 03, 2012 Lori rated it really liked it
Shelves: beginner-books
Dick and Jane books have been a part of my library since I was a child. I like the repetitive structure the books have. By following Dick and Jane on their adventures, children learn about movement, colors, manners, and having fun.

This a great book for the beginner reader. The words are simple and can be sounded out. The repetition of the words help children learn how to say and use the word correctly.
Kirsten Cook
Jul 10, 2013 Kirsten Cook rated it did not like it
I absolutely hated this book and series! I was taught to read when I turned four by my mother and I just hated the repetition, pictures, and everything of this book it did not spark my interest at all.I remember vividly sitting in our Ford Expedition on a rainy day in a Tom Thumb parking lot crying trying to read this book, to this day when I see this book I remember that memory.
Amanda V
Dec 04, 2012 Amanda V rated it liked it
Shelves: decodable
This story is a classic introductory piece of literature for beginning readers and uses easy to sound out words and repetition to help students read. The story line is relatively simple, explaining all of the things that Dick and Jane can do together, but the illustrations are great and really help students make the connection between what they are reading and the story.
Christina
Dec 17, 2012 Christina marked it as to-read
(Decodable) This is a classic book for beginning readers. Students are able to follow the story of Dick and Jane and all of the activities they can do together. There are other characters like spot (the dog) and baby. The book is set up as a great way to sight read, with simple sentence structure. The illustrations are very helpful for struggling readers as well.
Andrew Pritchard
This is the book from which I first learned to read, therefore I guess it is the book which actually hooked me on reading, though honestly as I remember it it was pretty dull and boring as far as plot went. Nonetheless, it is a good book for teaching children how to read.
Beth
Aug 04, 2008 Beth rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: New readers
Recommended to Beth by: My Nursery School Teacher
Shelves: gabriels-books
Gabriel can read! ~does the happy dance~

ETA: As repetitous and boring to me as these books are, Gabriel is able to go through them easily and with only a little help which boosts his confidence greatly. I guess that was the point of these boooks, eh? :o)
Tony
Dec 17, 2008 Tony rated it it was ok
The first book I ever read. It's where it all started. Dick was a cool kid; he got to do all the good stuff while Jane just stood by and watched. Spot was the unsung hero. This was truly a WASP experience.
Vanessa
Dec 02, 2008 Vanessa rated it it was amazing
Dang! I just can't seem to keep apace with Kevin and Heather's reading. Maybe if I try something more at my level I'll be able to read faster.

Fabulous book! Clearly written, fast paced and a quick read!
Walter Ottenhoff
Sep 04, 2008 Walter Ottenhoff rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Action packed, but repetitive and lack of character development.
I guess my favorite part is when Spot finds a frog in the garden.
Bethany
Sep 16, 2010 Bethany rated it it was amazing
The first book I ever remember reading. I was sitting at my desk in 1st grade and remember the words suddenly making sense.
Katie
Jun 03, 2009 Katie rated it it was amazing
I learned to read from this book! Which is coincidentally the first book my grandma learned to read from too!
Kymberly
Jan 13, 2010 Kymberly rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
not very exciting for an older child trying to learn how to read but, a great book for thm to have great success with.
Block 2 SWAG: Children's book 8 14 Feb 25, 2016 06:24AM
  • The Little Lamb
  • My First Book of Mormon Stories
  • Huge Harold
  • Going to the Sea Park
  • Santa Paws, Come Home (Santa Paws, #4)
  • The Christmas Day Kitten
  • Daniel's Duck
  • A Child's Book of Art: Great Pictures First Words
  • Fancy Nancy: Poison Ivy Expert
  • Pet Show!
  • Henry and Mudge in the Green Time (Henry and Mudge, #3)
  • It's So Amazing!: A Book about Eggs, Sperm, Birth, Babies, and Families

Read With Dick and Jane (1 - 10 of 13 books)
  • We Play (Read with Dick and Jane)
  • We See (Read With Dick And Jane)
  • We Look (Read With Dick And Jane 1)
  • Go, Go, Go (Dick And Jane: Penguin Young Readers)
  • Read with Dick and Jane Set
  • Guess Who (Read with Dick and Jane)
  • Jump and Run (Dick and Jane: Penguin Young Readers)
  • Something Funny (Read with Dick and Jane)
  • We Work (Read with Dick and Jane)
  • Go Away Spot (Read with Dick and Jane)