Start by marking “Fun with Dick and Jane” as Want to Read:
Fun with Dick and Jane

Fun with Dick and Jane (Read With Dick and Jane)

3.8 of 5 stars 3.80  ·  rating details  ·  245 ratings  ·  50 reviews
You'll love revisiting a fond part of your childhood when sharing these classic Dick and Jane books with your students. With innocent entertaining exploits and simple repetitive declarations, these charming characters helped millions of Americans learn to read. Now they are available for a whole new generation!
Published January 1st 2004 by Abdo Publishing Company (first published July 28th 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Fun with Dick and Jane, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Fun with Dick and Jane

Steven Phillips
Jun 14, 2007 Steven Phillips added it
Recommends it for: people who like disapointmint
i didnt understand this book at ALL. what is dick running from? is he gay? why isnt he trying to bang this chick? why was i forced to read this book FIVE fucking times just so i could write a report on it as punishment for drawing in it? my art is way more fucking interesting then the stupid lame plot is in this fucking piece of literary dung...
Janet
This is how I learned to read before starting kindergarten in the mid 1950's. It is probably the most important book I ever read. I was a fan of Dick, Jane and Spot. I enjoyed the illustrations, because they gave me context cues, and/or the reward for knowing that I read the words correctly.

I will not criticize the book for gender discrimination, since the book reflected the social norms of the day. It was not until I was about age 6 or 7, that I caught onto gender discrimination. Around that ag
Bill Daniels
This was the very first book I ever read!!!!!!

Of course, the edition was printed years ago before I entered first grade at Jefferson School back in 1955.

Mrs. White taught me and my classmates to read. She was a dour sort. As I recall, she took us through exercises that involved combinations of letters and words for different sounds on oblong cards. Then, she threw us in the deep end and dropped "Fun with Dick and Jane" on us.

I grooved on it all easily and enthusiastically. I was in the "Blue Gro
Aurora
For more of my reviews check out my website www.buzzonbooks.com.

If you don't know Dick and Jane the books than you are obviously too young to be my friend. No, I'm kidding, but really.. where have you been?

Dick and Jane were my friends, they helped me learn to read. When it comes to interest, they weren't so good. The stories are a little bland but the repetition and use of key vocabulary and sight words make them a must have for new readers.

There is a lot of history behind these two characters
Jill
Published- New York : Grosset & Dunlap, 2004, c1940.
ISBN- 0-448-43411-3 (pbk.)
Genre- Realistic Fiction
Reading Level- Kindergarten-1st grade

This is an easy reader for sure. This story is about a family with a mother, father, brother Dick, sister Jane and little sister Sally. Each of the children does a specific action throughout the book. There are 6 chapters starting with "Look Up", "Who Is It", "Something Pretty", "Where Is Sally", "Jane Helps Mother", and "A Funny Ride". These chapter ti
Michele Lacroix
this is the first book I ever read. yes it's simple,but for a five year old this book is pretty simple and that's what they need
Meagan Gamblin
This is possibly the first book that I ever read, and helped me be able to read BEFORE kindergarten!
One of the first books i read.
Melissa
reading book in 1st grade
Bree
Notes:
best books in this category
Glen C
My first reading book. A treasure.
Lori
Dick and Jane books have been a part of my library since I was a child. I like the repetitive structure the books have. By following Dick and Jane on their adventures, children learn about movement, colors, manners, and having fun.

This a great book for the beginner reader. The words are simple and can be sounded out. The repetition of the words help children learn how to say and use the word correctly.
Kirsten Cook
I absolutely hated this book and series! I was taught to read when I turned four by my mother and I just hated the repetition, pictures, and everything of this book it did not spark my interest at all.I remember vividly sitting in our Ford Expedition on a rainy day in a Tom Thumb parking lot crying trying to read this book, to this day when I see this book I remember that memory.
Amanda V
This story is a classic introductory piece of literature for beginning readers and uses easy to sound out words and repetition to help students read. The story line is relatively simple, explaining all of the things that Dick and Jane can do together, but the illustrations are great and really help students make the connection between what they are reading and the story.
Christina
Dec 17, 2012 Christina marked it as to-read
(Decodable) This is a classic book for beginning readers. Students are able to follow the story of Dick and Jane and all of the activities they can do together. There are other characters like spot (the dog) and baby. The book is set up as a great way to sight read, with simple sentence structure. The illustrations are very helpful for struggling readers as well.
Beth
Aug 04, 2008 Beth rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: New readers
Recommended to Beth by: My Nursery School Teacher
Shelves: gabriels-books
Gabriel can read! ~does the happy dance~

ETA: As repetitous and boring to me as these books are, Gabriel is able to go through them easily and with only a little help which boosts his confidence greatly. I guess that was the point of these boooks, eh? :o)
Tony
The first book I ever read. It's where it all started. Dick was a cool kid; he got to do all the good stuff while Jane just stood by and watched. Spot was the unsung hero. This was truly a WASP experience.
Vanessa
Dang! I just can't seem to keep apace with Kevin and Heather's reading. Maybe if I try something more at my level I'll be able to read faster.

Fabulous book! Clearly written, fast paced and a quick read!
Walter Ottenhoff
Action packed, but repetitive and lack of character development.
I guess my favorite part is when Spot finds a frog in the garden.
Bethany
The first book I ever remember reading. I was sitting at my desk in 1st grade and remember the words suddenly making sense.
Katie
I learned to read from this book! Which is coincidentally the first book my grandma learned to read from too!
Kymberly
not very exciting for an older child trying to learn how to read but, a great book for thm to have great success with.
Jakob
Sep 02, 2012 Jakob rated it 1 of 5 stars
Recommended to Jakob by: Dr. Craig Svonkin
Shelves: for-school
Why Dick and Jane can't read is essential reading as to why these are not good books to teach children how to read.
Bill
See Bill read.

Read, Bill, read.

Bill had a lot of fun reading.

Bill learned to read with Dick and Jane.
Jenny U
I don't understand why this book series is being republished. Was it really that great, baby-boomers?
Vicki
Wow. The art...the colors...moves me! 50 years ago, the introduction to the world of the literate!!
Lula
See spot run.

This is how I learned to read, and in turn taught my first grade classmates how to read.
Kirei
I personally had never seen Dick and Jane books until I was older, but this book is good for reading.
Chris Gager
First grade... second grade... 1952-4. "See Spot run" Oh yeah... Date read is approximate.
Eddie
I had to put this one on my list. This was what started me on the path to loving to read!!!
Fun With Dick and Jane 2 9 Apr 06, 2012 08:44AM
  • A Treasury of Dick and Jane and Friends (Dick and Jane)
  • Going to the Sea Park
  • Pet Show!
  • Fancy Nancy: Poison Ivy Expert
  • A Family of Poems: My Favorite Poetry for Children
  • It's So Amazing!: A Book about Eggs, Sperm, Birth, Babies, and Families
  • Miss Suzy (Miss Suzy, #1)
  • The Story of the Walnut Tree
  • Just the Way You Are
  • How Do I Love You?
  • Thomas Goes Fishing (Thomas & Friends)
  • The Field Day from the Black Lagoon

Read With Dick and Jane (1 - 10 of 22 books)
  • We Play (Read with Dick and Jane)
  • Read with Dick and Jane
  • We See (Read With Dick And Jane)
  • We Look (Read With Dick And Jane 1)
  • Go, Go, Go (Dick And Jane: Penguin Young Readers)
  • Ready.Set.Go! With Other (Read With Dick And Jane Set)
  • Guess Who (Read with Dick and Jane)
  • Jump and Run (Dick and Jane: Penguin Young Readers)
  • Something Funny (Read with Dick and Jane)
  • We Work (Read with Dick and Jane)
Fun with Our Family (Dick and Jane) Dick And Jane Reading Collection (Collection: We Look, Something Funny, Jump And Run, Guess Who, Go Away, Spot, Go, Go, Go, Away We Go, Who Can Help, We See, We Work, We Play, Fun With Dick & Jane, Volumes 1-12) Paso A Paso 2 (Practice Workbook Answer Key) Away We Go Go Away Spot (Read with Dick and Jane)