Start by marking “Assault In Norway: Sabotaging the Nazi Nuclear Program” as Want to Read:
Assault In Norway: Sabotaging the Nazi Nuclear Program

Assault In Norway: Sabotaging the Nazi Nuclear Program

4.23  ·  Rating Details  ·  145 Ratings  ·  22 Reviews
A gripping account of a commando raid into occupied Norway in 1942. Target: The seemingly impregnable factory-fortress where the Nazis manufactured and stored materials for their nuclear program. (SEE QUOTE.)
Published November 1st 2002 by Lyons Press (first published 1975)

To ask other readers questions about Assault In Norway, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Assault In Norway

Pramod Nair
Sep 12, 2015 Pramod Nair rated it really liked it
“When one considers that right up to the end of the war, in 1945, there was virtually no increase in our heavy-water stocks in Germany, and that for the last experiments early in 1945 there were in fact only two and a half tons of heavy water available, it will be seen that it was the elimination of German heavy-water production in Norway that was the main factor in our failure to achieve a self-sustaining atomic reactor before the war ended.” - Dr. Kurt Diebner, administrative director of the G ...more
Ben Nash
When I stumbled across this book at the Library, I was looking for books about Bletchley Park. I found the book I was looking for, but this one just a shelf down and found its way to the top of my stack before the codebreaker book did.

The story follows the men on the ground during the sabotage mission of the Nazi-controlled Vemork heavy water plant in Norway. The long months leading up to the main mission, when the forward team was monitoring conditions and staying hidden in the snowy wilderness
Keith
Sep 06, 2013 Keith rated it it was amazing
Even though I knew the outcome of the assault, Gallagher's historical narrative, using the recollections of the eight men involved, made me turn the pages faster than I thought I was going to want to before I started the book. The Assault was during the Nazi Occupation of Norway, and it carried out by Britain and the Norwegian Resistance stationed in Britain. Eight young men in their early twenties, seven expert skiers and one who neglected to tell authorities that he wasn't, were dropped, along ...more
Kay
Aug 29, 2008 Kay rated it really liked it
Exciting account of a daring mission to destroy a plant that was key to the Nazi attempt to develop a nuclear weapon. Had the mission not succeeded, there is a good chance that the Nazis may have indeed gotten the bomb.

While the details on how "heavy water" is used in the production of enriched uranium are a little technical, the real heart of this book is the challenges that the Norwegian commandos met as they faced the elements and the strategic difficulties of the task. The need for utter se
Readnponder
Jan 31, 2013 Readnponder rated it really liked it
I stumbled across this book in my efforts to read one book set in every country affected by WWII. It is a true story about Norweigan resistance workers efforts to sabotage a heavy water plant in Norway. The Nazis commandeered the plant shortly after invading. Heavy water, or deuterium, is necessary to sustain fission, thus making it a crucial ingredient in nuclear weapons. Had this secret mission not been successful, Hitler may have developed the atomic bomb first.

Generally speaking, I prefer hi
Karrie Wickman
Jun 03, 2015 Karrie Wickman rated it really liked it
Big eye opener on how close the Germans were to an atomic bomb.
Carolyn
Aug 10, 2013 Carolyn rated it it was amazing
Excellent story about the efforts undertaken to destroy the heavy water plant at Vermork, Norway during WW2. Tom Clancy could have written this as one of his gripping fiction books. But it is a true story and to read about the struggles of the SOE men in the harsh climate in that part of the world is to realize the focus and dedication they had to cripple this site. I do recommend it highly for the WW2 arm chair historian. Could not put it down and sometimes I actually seemed to feel the intense ...more
Mike Smith
May 04, 2011 Mike Smith rated it really liked it
Fascinating little known story of Norwegian sabotage against Nazi atomic research facilities-the grown up accompaniment to Snow Treasure! I found myself especially enjoying the insights into the psyche of WWII soldiers-sometimes I fear we forget our enemies are also human and though war may at times be necessary, each death caused by war is a tragedy to be mourned for it's own sake. It was poignant to see these men could be determined in their steadfast loyalty to king and country yet still remo ...more
Howard
Oct 28, 2012 Howard rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: to-purchase

I found this book extremely interesting. I had not heard about competing national interests, which included our WWII enemies, in the development of nuclear weapons. The beginning of the book included a number of persons in a leadership roles. I would recommend making notes of these persons to recall the positions as the book evolves. It becomes very interesting as the plot unfolds. I found a few grammatical; however these errors certainly do not detract from this story.
John
An interesting story of the raid to blow up the Heavy water plant in Vemork Norway. It was a well executed and very successful commando mission. For some reason the author spent thirteen pages describing on of the commando's hunt for reindeer, maybe Gallagher likes hunting. I did learn from this book that we had a heavy water plant right here in British Columbia that the Americans were using as back-up.
Fredrick Danysh
Jan 04, 2013 Fredrick Danysh rated it liked it
Shelves: history
During World War II, Germany was copeting with the Allies to produce atomic weapons. The heavy water they used in their approach was produced in Norway. Assault in Norway documents Allied attempts to stop the production and transportation of heavy water thus eliminating Germany's only production site.
Barbara
Apr 22, 2010 Barbara rated it really liked it
This is a fascinating, nonfiction account of the Allies' attack on the German nuclear program in Norway. It starts off a bit slow, but is worth the effort of slogging through the first few chapters. Fascinating stuff, and mind-blowing to think of the possibilities if the Allies hadn't been successful!
William Glenn
Dec 09, 2012 William Glenn rated it really liked it
I haven't read a book about WWII in a long time. This book reminded me of a movie I saw as a kid about the war in Norway, fighting in the snow on skis. I liked reading about the planning and execution of this very harsh and difficult and important mission.
Sshelline
Dec 28, 2011 Sshelline rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: world-war-ii, history
Fascinating tale of how Norwegian commandos prevented Germany from acquiring the heavy water they needed to build an atomic bomb. I didn't give it five stars because of numerous proofreading errors.
Marcia
Jul 18, 2013 Marcia rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves:
If this were written as fiction, no one would believe it. The most exciting adventure, with so many twists in the story. The most improbable true story.
Read1000books
How British commandos kept the Germans from completing their heavy water experiments in World War 2. They may just have saved the world.
Marc
Apr 11, 2009 Marc rated it it was amazing
This should be the next WWII book you read. I hope to get it back from my brother-in-law sometime before the apocalypse.
James
Dec 21, 2013 James rated it really liked it
Thrilling account of a surprisingly little known WW2 story. Best read in Norway :)
Galen
Dec 14, 2009 Galen rated it it was amazing
This is a fascinating account of an attack on Nazi nuclear efforts during WWII. Well-written and researched.
William
Oct 02, 2009 William rated it it was amazing
This is a really interesting story. At times it reads like a James Bond novel. I highly recommend it.
Clint
Feb 27, 2012 Clint rated it liked it
A fascinating true story of a WWII commando raid in Norway to thwart the Nazi nuclear effort.
Bettie☯
Avery Mixon
Avery Mixon marked it as to-read
May 04, 2016
Michael Gately
Michael Gately rated it liked it
Apr 30, 2016
Colby
Colby is currently reading it
Apr 30, 2016
Erik Moldovan
Erik Moldovan marked it as to-read
May 03, 2016
Margaret
Margaret rated it really liked it
Apr 12, 2016
Dan Murillo
Dan Murillo marked it as to-read
Apr 10, 2016
Nicholas Berghold
Nicholas Berghold marked it as to-read
Apr 07, 2016
zach
zach rated it really liked it
Apr 20, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • The Sledge Patrol: A WWII Epic of Escape, Survival, and Victory
  • The Fellowship of Ghosts: A Journey Through the Mountains of Norway
  • Battle of Wits: The Complete Story of Codebreaking in World War II
  • Miracles on the Water: The Heroic Survivors of a World War II U-Boat Attack
  • Danger's Hour: The Story of the USS Bunker Hill and the Kamikaze Pilot Who Crippled Her
  • Operation Barbarossa and Germany's Defeat in the East
  • The Mighty Eighth: The Air War in Europe as Told by the Men Who Fought It
  • The White Rabbit: The Secret Agent the Gestapo Could Not Crack
  • The Thousand-Mile War: World War II in Alaska and the Aleutians
  • Wahoo: The Patrols of America's Most Famous World War II Submarine
  • Night Witches: The Amazing Story of Russia's Women Pilots in WWII
  • Agent Garbo: The Brilliant, Eccentric Secret Agent Who Tricked Hitler and Saved D-Day
  • Enigma: The Battle for the Code
  • Most Secret War
  • The Forger: An Extraordinary Story of Survival in Wartime Berlin
  • Desperate Journeys, Abandoned Souls: True Stories of Castaways and Other Survivors
  • The Raft
  • Leningrad: State of Siege
Thomas Gallagher (1918-1992) was a widely published journalist and the author of eight books. His novel The Gathering Darkness (1952) was nominated for a National Book Award; his Fire at Sea: The Story of the Moro Castle (1959) won the Edgar Allan Poe Award for nonfiction.
More about Thomas Gallagher...

“There was a sense of being in the midst of something having prodigious weight and volume but no form, of being utterly unable to utilize past experience.” 2 likes