Start by marking “The New Rules of Posture: How to Sit, Stand, and Move in the Modern World” as Want to Read:
The New Rules of Posture: How to Sit, Stand, and Move in the Modern World

The New Rules of Posture: How to Sit, Stand, and Move in the Modern World

A manual for understanding the anatomical and emotional components of posture in order to heal chronic pain

• Contains self-help exercises and ergonomics information to help correct unhealthy movement patterns

• Teaches how to adopt suitable posture in the modern sedentary world

Many people cause their own back and body pain through their everyday bad postural and movement
Published November 29th 2006 by Healing Arts Press

To ask other readers questions about The New Rules of Posture, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The New Rules of Posture

Bernie Gourley
Jul 25, 2015 Bernie Gourley rated it really liked it
Shelves: yoga, fitness
This book’s author, Mary Bond, was a UCLA-trained dancer who became an Ida Rolf-trained Rolfer. If that sentence makes no sense, you’re probably unaware Dr. Ida Rolf and her self-named system. Rolfing was popular decades ago, but fell out of favor—possibly owing to its reputation for being agonizing. (However, I did recently read an article suggesting renewed interest in this practice.) Rolf’s system is generically called Structural Integration, and it’s intended to better align the body with ...more
Sonja Reid
Aug 25, 2008 Sonja Reid rated it really liked it
Shelves: how-to
While the author uses vignettes to illustrate issues (it becomes like a soap opera with the different people meeting...weird), she methodically goes through the different parts of the body and how they relate to your posture, with exercises for you to do to illustrate what she is talking about. Most of the sensations are pretty subtle, but you start to realize how small modifications of you posture, due to social constraints or your emotional state, can ultimately cause you pain in the long run. ...more
Lundy
Mar 25, 2013 Lundy rated it really liked it
Superb writing. A borrowed book that leads me to find a copy for my own collection. The Stabilization work in chapter 5, Core Connections gives comprehensive road map to the elusive pelvic floor and the inner and outer corsets of the core musculature.

As a practitioner of physical medicines, I found this text to be essential reading to understand the impact of alignment. I loved her breathing chapter as well...
Quote: You must fall in love with our own breath. Then you can begin to love others. Ad
Vegetable Princess
This is, as far as I can tell, an excellent book on improving one's posture as a dynamic activity. The basic premise is that because posture is a process driven largely by subconscious habits, one can reprogram oneself to have better posture by learning to notice & interpret sensations differently, and practicing small chunks of more desirable patterns.

It has some background information on relevant anatomy, a coherent structure (although poorly chosen titles in the table of contents make it
Marsha Thompson
Nov 03, 2009 Marsha Thompson marked it as to-read
I'm not trying the follow the exercises in this book. I'm working through it slowly to apply the exercises as I learn them. At first you go through some exploratory exercises to feel how your body works. I'm doing those now.

Original review.....
Ok....I like an enjoyable easy book to read and this wasn't but.....I liked this book's approach. It gave you the physicalogical reason to support what it was telling you. I plan to start doing the exploration activities and the exercises it gives you. I'v
Michelle
Apr 23, 2011 Michelle rated it it was amazing
This book is awesome. She explains posture as a result of movement, not statically sitting and standing, and she gives simple exercises that address your connective and supportive tissues from your feet all the way up to your head. Problems I've had for years are melting away as I follow her suggestions!
Cindy
Sep 12, 2008 Cindy rated it it was amazing
Out of all my resources for recovering from lower back pain and surgery, this is one of my favorites. The author articulates concepts about breathing, stretches, posture more clearly and more comprehensively than any other author, doctor or physical therapist I've met or read.
Melanie
Apr 21, 2009 Melanie rated it really liked it
It doesn't sound easy, but it does sound like a reasonable way to manage pain.

A very useful book for anyone who experiences pain in their body. Easy to follow, though the exercises are tough and take time.
Karen
Aug 13, 2009 Karen rated it it was amazing
Excellent resource. One is taken through steps with clear illustrations and understandable language.
Cassie
Jul 30, 2015 Cassie rated it it was amazing
Fantastic book, especially for someone like me who predates Title 9 and hasn't had much coaching--a klutz in other words--and needs to counteract the effects of age on body mechanics.
Charles Kingsley
Jan 12, 2013 Charles Kingsley rated it really liked it
Another book that I feel everyone should read and could greatly benefit from. It changed my perspective.
Noelle
Jul 15, 2010 Noelle rated it really liked it
Handed down from a Physician here on Saipan. Very good so far. It's all about proper breathing, much like yoga.
Andrew
Andrew rated it really liked it
Mar 10, 2012
Anjuli Kroon
Anjuli Kroon rated it it was amazing
Dec 06, 2012
Mary Falardeau
Mary Falardeau rated it it was amazing
Jun 22, 2015
Stephanie Pugh
Stephanie Pugh rated it really liked it
Nov 09, 2014
l owen
l owen rated it it was amazing
Dec 19, 2014
Steven
Steven rated it really liked it
Jan 05, 2016
Eric Xu
Eric Xu rated it it was amazing
Dec 28, 2014
Kimberly
Kimberly rated it liked it
Nov 23, 2010
Kimberly
Kimberly rated it it was amazing
Jun 02, 2011
Rebecca
Rebecca rated it really liked it
Jan 31, 2016
LizzardN
LizzardN rated it it was amazing
Jul 05, 2014
Megan Burgess
Megan Burgess rated it it was amazing
Mar 04, 2015
yamiyoghurt
May 20, 2015 yamiyoghurt rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mind-body, yoga
This book has depth.
Bernadette
Bernadette rated it it was amazing
Jun 27, 2014
Byrd Alyssa
Byrd Alyssa rated it it was ok
Dec 10, 2014
Justin Welch
Justin Welch rated it liked it
Oct 21, 2014
Liat Gat
Liat Gat rated it really liked it
Sep 19, 2012
Kevin Keast
Kevin Keast rated it it was ok
Aug 27, 2011
« previous 1 3 4 next »
  • A Guide to Better Movement: The Science and Practice of Moving with More Skill and Less Pain
  • Food: Your Miracle Medicine
  • Awareness Through Movement: Easy-to-Do Health Exercises to Improve Your Posture, Vision, Imagination, and Personal Awareness
  • Anatomy Trains: Myofascial Meridians for Manual and Movement Therapists
  • Alignment Matters: The First Five Years of Katy Says
  • Struck by Lightning: The Curious World of Probabilities
  • The Body Has a Mind of Its Own: How Body Maps in Your Brain Help You Do (Almost) Everything Better
  • The Mood Cure: The 4-Step Program to Take Charge of Your Emotions--Today
  • 3D Math Primer for Graphics and Game Development
  • The Ethical Brain: The Science of Our Moral Dilemmas
  • Zealous Love: A Practical Guide to Social Justice
  • Move a Little, Lose a Lot: New NEAT Science Reveals How to Be Thinner, Happier, and Smarter
  • Type Idea Index
  • Building Mental Muscle: Conditioning Exercises for the Six Intelligence Zones
  • Relearning to See: Improve Your Eyesight -- Naturally!
  • Eating for IBS: 175 Delicious, Nutritious, Low-Fat, Low-Residue Recipes to Stabilize the Touchiest Tummy
  • Dance Anatomy