Start by marking “Hitman: Forty Years Making Music, Topping the Charts, and Winning Grammys” as Want to Read:
Hitman: Forty Years Making Music, Topping the Charts, and Winning Grammys

Hitman: Forty Years Making Music, Topping the Charts, and Winning Grammys

3.61 of 5 stars 3.61  ·  rating details  ·  174 ratings  ·  50 reviews
After almost four decades in the music business, David Foster -- producer, arranger, songwriter, performer -- is finally ready to talk. In this compelling and outspoken memoir, Foster shares some of his incredible stories: the first time he met Barbra Streisand, as a young session player in Los Angeles; his first of 15 Grammys® for "After the Love Has Gone," Earth ...more
Published November 4th 2008 by Gallery Books

To ask other readers questions about Hitman, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hitman

Jennie
This book was definitely interesting, not necessarily great, but interesting. Not only does the author do a colorful job of describing the music and entertainment industry from a perspective that I have not read about previously, but also he did it in a way that came across arrogant and slightly pompous. He bounced around with his stories and experiences within the chapters and paragraphs so it was hard to follow in places. Yet, the hardest thing to overcome in reading the book was his attitude ...more
Laren
I was conflicted on whether or not to even read this because it bothers me that David Foster apparently has decided to become his own brand now instead of staying behind the scenes as most other producer/songwriters do. You can see he has a generally healthy ego in this book, but he also admits to self-doubt and being a generally crappy husband and father as a result of his work ethic. This is an interesting memoir of the music industry, but overall it is too short of a book for someone with suc ...more
Ken
David Foster and I both play keyboards. He and I both arrange music. I like the group Chicago, he produced three of their best selling albums. He and I have a lot in common, but we also don't have some things in common. He made millions producing albums for major music stars. He has a multitude of Grammies on his piano. My piano has a couple of harmonicas on it.
One thing Foster said that stuck with me is that he "can only be as happy as my unhappiest child." I think that is a natural feeling, bu
Toni Osborne

This is a highly entertaining memoir of the multi talented David Foster. The autobiography relates to his 40 years plus creating hits and winning awards (Grammy, Emmy, Golden Globes, Academy and Juno).In his book he describes the ups and downs working with accomplished artists, like: Madonna, Michael Jackson, Barbra Streisand, Céline Dion, Josh Grogan and Michael Bublé, Whitney Houston and many others.

Raised on Vancouver Island, British Columbia, he became fixated at the age of five on playing t
Scarlet
Being familiar with David Foster's body of work, I don't consider some of the famous people mentioned as "name dropping". It wasn't an exaggeration that he has worked with those artists and have been somewhat involved with the success of their music. In fact, they have been widely acknowledged by some of artists themselves. I do admit that he does come across as arrogant in certain parts of his memoir, or maybe it's just confidence? Sometimes, the two are interchanged when highly successful peop ...more
Rahmadiyanti
Saya ngefans Om Foz sejak sobat saya di SMA demen banget dengerin musik garapan si Om. Waktu opspek ala jurusan di kampus, pas jurit malam saya disuruh nyanyi. Mau tahu saya nyanyi apa? The Best of Me-nya Foz & Olivia Newton John, hihihi. Tapi kayaknya kakak kelas asyik aja tuh dengerin, mungkin karena suara saya bagus *bletak!*. So, bener-bener suka garapannya si Om, apalagi kalau yang nyanyi Om Peter Cetera, huah!

Saat Oktober lalu Foz konser di Jakarta, aduuuh rasanya mimpi sudah di depan
Rhonda
this was an interesting look into the music industry and one man's journey. it was funny to see how foster made it through the ranks and how stars were so accessible "back in the day" - unlike today, with the armys of security etc. foster can write songs, but he's no author, and the book was fairly self-indulgent ( as memoirs are wont to be), but i still found it interesting. his success has come at a price. he's on his 4th wife and keeps mentioning his failures as a father, but he has certainly ...more
Cathy
This book is well written and certainly held my attention. Has some interesting insight into the music industry. Mr. Foster is a self made man, his accomplishments are undeniable and his genius is obvious as is his HUGE EGO but if you can get past that this is a worthwhile read!
Rich
I bought this in audio book format to take advantage of an Audible.com 3 for 2 deal. The title was simply "Hitman" and with a 4+ rating, I thought "why not". I was more than disappointed when I learned that this was in fact, as the title here in GoodReads states, that it was actually about the life of a record producer. I was determined to get my money's worth and so I soldiered on. I was pleasantly surprised to find it quite enjoyable. Despite his several acknowledged shortcomings (divorced 3 t ...more
Julie Reade
I love biographies. This was no exception. I loved reading about David Foster's life and all the influence he has had on so many famous artists. The only part that was less that exciting for me was the beginning, where he discussed a lot of artists who he referred to as 'major' in the business. But it was a long time ago and I'm not that old. Mention Stevie Wonder and I'm okay but go back further than that and mention specific keyboardists, and I am lost!

What I did love what his tenancity and fr
Linda
May 21, 2009 Linda rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommended to Linda by: Book ShelfAwareness 11-10-08
Shelves: clcpl
A short, easily read memoir by the musician, songwriter and producer, David Foster. Foster is the man responsible for introducing Josh Groban and Celine Deion to the American pop market. Foster realized at a very early age that he has perfect pitch. He was the only male in a household with six sisters. His dad died when he was a teenager. He was able to make money with his music early in his preteen years. Possibly with this success, Foster does not lack in his sense of self-worth or his gifts a ...more
Mark Shaw
I loved this book. With me being a songwriter/producer, it was very inspiring.
Derek Hale
Not really a great celebrity or music autobiography. My interest in David Foster the Producer stopped around 1987 so when the book began covering artists like Celine Dion, Josh Groban, and Michael Buble, I quickly lost interest.

Also, it bugs me to no end when celebrities release autobiographies that are laden with profanity. You might cuss like a sailor in your personal life but, when writing an autobiography for general public consumption, it seems obvious to me that you would want to put your
Scott
Entertaining bio / interesting stories about the music industry.
Arrial
The best producer in the music business has written a memoir . Too bad his talent in the music industry did not transfer as well to paper. This comes across as a name dropping, love fest in which he is constantly beckoning the reader to acknowledge his accomplishments.
The best part of this memoir is the last chapter , where he stops feeding his ego and talks openly about making it in the music industry.
On the positive side he shares with us the valuable life lessons he has learned from various
Ellis
Short, sweet, fun biography.
Joan Fisher
Amazing talent!
Elizabeth
Worth the read if you are interested in the music industry, in producing, in a side-history of pop songs of the 70's - now.
Foster has had quite the life in music and I enjoyed the anecdotes and the insights. I don't love all his music (some of it is fab like "To Be Real" and love his arrangement of Buble's "Feeling Good". Quick and fun and love some of the dirt on folks when he worked with Earth Wind & Fire, Chicago, Michael Jackson, Barbara Streisand.
Ron Jensen
I can't believe I never heard of this guy, if he is as famous as he tells you he is. His name dropping got a little tiresome, but I did enjoy his description of how he developed his interest/obsession with music, and how he started from such small town beginnings and established his career as a performer and eventually producer. He seems incredibly multi-talented, but by his own admission difficult to work with.
Rose
Mar 11, 2010 Rose rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Pete, Tracy
The companion piece to the CD/DVD, "Hitman" is David Foster's account of his rise from a humble childhood in Canada, to super-stardom as an arranger, producer, songwriter, and performer. A very quick and interesting read, "Hitman" left me in awe of Foster's musical legacy, working with artists such as Whitney Houston, Celine Dion, and Michael Buble among many others. Great read, and great concert.
Susanne
I love David Foster, so I was excited to read this book. I found it very interesting. I've always wanted to know what its like to be famous and to work with famous musicans. He has some interesting stories to tell about Celine Dion, Michael Jackson, Whitney Houston and others. He produced some of my favorite music, so I enjoyed reading how it all came about.
Kathy
I started reading this and found it interesting. However (and call me old-fashioned) when I have to read four letter words over and over in a biography, I find it very disgusting. It adds nothing to the text. My English teacher always said using such words showed a definite lack of vocabulary. So I gave it up and chose something much more enlightening.
Tom Schulte
I don't go in much for Foster's middle-of-the-road styles, but I am impressed by his magnificent success as an independent producer of popular hits. His humble self-reflection makes this a more interesting read, but the inside glimpses and name-dropping of popular artists is enough for my voyeuristic curiosity.
Beth Sweet
I've always known that David Foster was a great music producer but I didn't realize how many artists he had worked with or created hits for until I read this book. His rise in the music business is inspiring and while the book isn't terribly in depth, it is an interesting and quick read.
Miriah
I really liked how David Foster came to inspire other people to write and compose their own music. He has such a significant source to introduce us to many of the artists he has worked with over the last couple of years of his life and that's what really suprises me.
Danielle
Super entertaining! I swear he must be making up half of the stories in this book because it's just incredible that one person could have so many amazing stories to tell. Wow. He's got to be the most famous person no one's ever heard of.

Warning: lots of profanity
Jared Johnson
I gleaned so much about the music biz and, probably unlike other people, actually like all the name dropping he does throughout the book. If you REALLY want to know what the business is like, here you go. Also interesting what he says in defense of Kenny G.
Josh McConnell
Not a very difficult read at all. Despite a lot of name dropping, the book is still an interesting read into the life of one of the music industry's biggest players. If you are a fan of reading about the music industry, consider this one.
Doreen
I thought it was interesting to hear some of the background behind the music industry. But, he jumps around a lot and all the details of his personal life (the multiple marriages, divorces, and affairs) were a bit much.
Jennifer Beecher-boring
Lots of good stories about people David Foster has worked with in the music business. He was careful not to blast anyone that he's worked with, although I think he insinuated plenty...(Whitney Houston, perhaps?)
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • Remembering Whitney: My Story of Love, Loss, and the Night the Music Stopped
  • Hitmaker
  • Elvis and the Memphis Mafia
  • Dr. Feelgood: The Story of the Doctor Who Influenced History by Treating and Drugging Prominent Figures Including President Kennedy, Marilyn Monroe, and Elvis Presley
  • The Difficult Second Book
  • The Great Escape: A Canadian Story
  • Beam Me Up, Scotty
  • 20 Hours, 40 Min:  Our Flight in the Friendship
  • The Soundtrack of My Life
  • Laughing All the Way to the Mosque
  • Deadly Little Secrets: The Minister, His Mistress, and a Heartless Texas Murder
  • Love is the Cure: On Life, Loss, and the End of AIDS
  • Crash and Burn
  • The Men Who Would Be King: An Almost Epic Tale of Moguls, Movies, and a Company Called DreamWorks
  • I Met the Walrus: How One Day with John Lennon Changed My Life Forever
  • Between Gods: A Memoir
  • Theater Geek: The Real Life Drama of a Summer at Stagedoor Manor, the Famous Performing Arts Camp
  • Heaven And Hell: My Life In The Eagles (1974 2001)

Canadian songwriter and producer. 15-time Grammy Award winner.
More about David Foster...
The Best of David Foster What A Life/Lost L.A. Sessions