Start by marking “Doctor Who: The Forever Trap” as Want to Read:
Doctor Who: The Forever Trap

Doctor Who: The Forever Trap (BBC Doctor Who: New Series Audio Exclusives #2)

4.06 of 5 stars 4.06  ·  rating details  ·  377 ratings  ·  45 reviews
When the TARDIS is invaded by a holographic marketing scam, the Doctor and Donna find themselves trapped on the Edifice, a purpose-built complex of luxury apartments in space. Their new environs leave much to be desired: millions of beings from across the Universe have been gathered to live side by side in similar apartments. Instead of creating neighbourly affection, it’s ...more
Audiobook
Published October 9th 2008 by BBC Audio (first published September 30th 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Doctor Who, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Doctor Who

Doctor Who by Jonathan MorrisDoctor Who by Jacqueline RaynerDoctor Who by Trevor BaxendaleDoctor Who by Justin RichardsDoctor Who by Gary Russell
Doctor Who Books
53rd out of 209 books — 95 voters
Doctor Who by Jacqueline RaynerDoctor Who by Trevor BaxendaleHuman Nature by Paul CornellDoctor Who by Gareth RobertsDoctor Who by Gareth Roberts
Best Doctor Who Books
63rd out of 198 books — 159 voters

More lists with this book...

Kimberley doruyter
beating your enemy by giving him an upset tummy, brilliant!
Callie Rose Tyler
4 1/2 Stars

This audio special is one of the best I've listened to so far, it is narrated by the fabulous Catherine Tate and doesn't waste our time focusing on random people we don't care about. Too often these books focus on random characters with the Doctor and his companion spending way too much time 'off screen'. The Doctor and Donna were very well written and the plot felt very unique and interesting. The other characters they encounter are interesting but not overpowering.

My absolute favor
Bruce
A smooth talking and not entirely honest sales-hologram invades the TARDIS and tricks Donna Noble into a sales contract for a luxury apartment complex. If location is all three of the most important things in real estate, then the Edifice doesn’t have any of them. It’s somewhere in the midst of Outer Space, without any means of transportation out. Not only that, new tenants keep arriving without any provision for what they need to survive. Aquatic life forms are dumped on the carpet with nothing ...more
Nicola Sheridan
Well written fascinating concept. Loved it! Catherine Tate is an awesome narrator.
Alison
Catherine Tate is a genius, and her reading is exceptional. She does an amazing job with Ten and it made me miss him - what a great team they were. This is a solid little story, alien and interesting and funny and sad, and Donna gets to save the day by being passionate and shouting a lot. Nicely done.
Jamie
Feb 04, 2015 Jamie rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Whovians
The Edifice is a luxury apartment complex somewhere in the remote reaches of space that appears to be indiscriminately kidnapping people and making them tenants. The Doctor and Donna are it's latest acquisition!

This was great! Catherine Tate does a fantastic job as the narrator bringing every role to life and she absolutely nails David Tennant's doctor and, of course, Donna. This is a fun and weird (in the best way) story with bizarre characters and a good mystery that keeps the focus centered
Shayantani Das
I am going through Doctor Who withdrawal so this book helped fill that void a teensy bit.
Jules
Noriko
It occurred to me one day that I wanted to listen to at least one DW audio book after reading my first 10th Doctor novel, 'Prisoner of the Daleks'. However, I was faced with a difficulty: which one? So after browsing through amazon.co.uk and audible.com for reviews, I decided to try out The Forever Trap.

It turns out 'The Forever Trap' is a delightful listen! With a great plot and a wonderful cast of different alien characters and Catherine Tate reading out the story, I was thrilled. Catherine is
Wendy
Reason #1 to listen to this audiobook: I woke up yesterday in a really grumpy mood, and listening to the first half of this (while taking a brisk walk) knocked me right out of it and put a silly grin on my face.

The story starts out funny and lighthearted, with some great banter between the Doctor and Donna, and a hilariously prescient look at what spam email might evolve into in the age of artificial intelligence. After that, the story gets darker, but retains moments of humor.

Catherine Tate a
Jostalady
It was fun and exciting, the writing is very much in line with the show. Catherine does an alright job reading the story, but her Doctor voice made me smirk at the awkward stretch. Because it was written so well, his part is still strongly the 10th Doctor. I could imagine David Tennant and Catherine Tate like I was watching it!

I am going to go against most fans and say Donna was my least favorite companion on the show because she slowed him down and made him have to explain things that we alrea
Megan
I was worried that this audio book was going to suck, since 'The Nemonite Invasion' which is also narrated by Catherine Tate was just a complete failure in my eyes. But to my delight, this was utterly awesome. Catherine Tate did a fantastic job narrating, unlike the performance she gave in 'The Nemonite Invasion'. The story is so Who-esque. All the characters are in characters (everyone assumes that the Doctor and Donna are "together"). The characters in the novel are memorable such as the old l ...more
Aaron A.
Apr 23, 2012 Aaron A. rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Tenth Doctor fans
Shelves: fiction, sci-fi
The basic plot is similar to the Eleventh Doctor episode "The God Complex." Doc and companion are yanked through space to a strange building in an unknown location, populated by other people who aren't entirely sure how they got there. The only way out is to find out who's in charge and what they want. Beyond that, the stories differ significantly, so it's still well worth your time. As the aforementioned similarity suggests, this would easily fit in as a TV episode in the RJD or Moffat eras.

Cat
Nicholas Whyte
http://nwhyte.livejournal.com/2259113.html[return][return]This is the last of the Tenth Doctor era audiobooks that I've got to (though only the second produced), and it's good to finish on a high note. Catherine Tate is the narrator, beautifully carrying off Donna and also the Tennant Doctor, in a plot that beings rather like the later TV story The God Complex, with a bunch of characters from different places yanked together unexpectedly in one big building, but takes off in quite a different di ...more
Matt Niehoff
Donna Noble was my least favorite of my favorite Doctor's companions, but Catherine Tate is still very talented at what she does and plays her character very well. Her reading of this audiodrama is fantastic, it felt like an episode. Her temperament is obviously there in her character's dialogue, but she also does a good job of capturing Tennant's Doctor.

I find it somewhat odd that I am rating this higher than several Tennant read audiodramas. I am going to give it to the fact that this particul
Kirsten
This book is one of the DW books that really gets the character of the Doctor down. The thing it lacks is some humor. But that's OK. Another thing this book does but other DW novels don't do is have a timey wimey plot line that MAKES SENSE. "Pirate Radio" for example had an AWESOME premise, but the alien was really poorly explained and really did not make any sense at all.
Catherine Tate does a good job narrating, but I do prefer David Tennant.
Jolie Bonnette
Listening to Catherine Tate read Doctor Who adventures is similar to listening to Neil Gaiman read his own works. It's very fun and amusing. Definitely recommend it to those who were particularly fond of Companion Donna Noble. I think the most amusing thing is, Catherine does a fair impression of The Doctor. LOL I've noticed that some of the UK made audio books are a bit more of a production than the US recorded ones. Some have music that shifts with the mood of the scenes, some have little soun ...more
April Dowling
Narrated by Catherine Tate. She's almost as good as David Tennat. Great plot, I would love to see this put to screen....which would mean DT and CT have to come back...and presumably Steven Moffat would go away as well.
Julia
I'm a big fan of Donna. So of course this one was a must for me!
And Abnett did not disappoint! It's an interesting story, with the right amount of humour, excitement, morality and a quite outspoken Donna, who makes me grin over and over again.

I won't say much more, so I will be sure not to spoiler anything - just be assured: If you love Doctor Who and Donna - you'll also love this story!
Rachel (Sfogs)
Sooo much fun! Beware the holographic scammers, they will trap you into maze of luxury apartments. With some very nasty neighbours.
Mikael Kuoppala
Here's a wonderful example of the magical sci-fi intrigue that Doctor Who excels in.

The Doctor and Donna end up in a mysterious luxury hotel due to the machinations of a clever spam software. Soon it becomes apparent that the enormous facility harbors some interesting secrets.

This is an adventurous story, but one filled wit fascinating speculation and great sci-fi concepts combined with an eerie David Lynch feel. A nice look into the characters of the doctor and especially Donna Noble is also of
AmyFlo
A great listen! Catherine Tate is brilliant (as always) and Donna Noble is at her sassiest best.
QuotesBaby24
Loved Catherine Tate narrating it!
Todd
It was pretty good, but could have been a lot shorter. It took a while getting to the heart of the problem, needlessly in my opinion. Interesting idea, however. As Catherine Tate was labeled as the reader of the story, I was excited about it, but somehow, she sounded much "posher" in accent than I was used to in her portrayal of Dona Noble and as I had come to know her via "The Catherine Tate Show". All in all, it was just pretty good.
the golden witch.
Oh, Donna. How I miss thee.

Anyway, this story was one of the better ones within the DW book canon. And I'm happy to say that Catherine Tate narrating it made it even greater. She was balls-out in character for not only Donna but the Doctor as well.

I'm dying to read this in book form to see if it has the same effect. I hope it does. But all in all? A fun story to listen to while doing stuff. <3
Sara
This one was a little shorter than the others I have listened to but it was still an entertaining story with a lot of funny dialogue. Catherine Tate did a great job with all the different alien voices and for her Doctor voice, I could almost believe it was David Tennant speaking. Loved the concept of spam mail in outer space and how Donna helps "defeat" the monster at the end.
Sara
This is one of the more creative and interesting Doctor Who stories I've read or listened to. Catherine Tate's narration is good but it's not the same as hearing Tennant deliver the Doctor's dialogue in the Doctor's voice. I was just a tiny bit disappointed that the Doctor didn't take one more moment to gaze out of the window before they TARDISed off.
Kristi
The third Doctor Who book that i've heard so far, as well as the best of the them. This story is better fleshed out, and Catherine does a lovely job reading it (of course). If you're thinking of trying out a Doctor Who audiobook... i recommend starting here. Short but engaging throughout, and nothing glaringly out of character (like the last one).
Rebekah
I just didn't want this one to end. This was one of the first Doctor Who books/audios I listen/read. I wasn't expecting much. (I missed Donna, okay).
But it was a fun listen. The characters stay ture to the show. Some really lovely moments.
I didn't expect Catherine Tate to be much of a narrator but oh, I was wrong. She's brilliant!
  • Doctor Who: Pest Control
  • Doctor Who: The Day of the Troll (BBC Audio)
  • Doctor Who: Dead Air
  • Doctor Who: Ghosts of India
  • Doctor Who: Snowglobe 7
  • Doctor Who: The Nemonite Invasion
  • Doctor Who: Martha in the Mirror (Doctor Who)
  • Doctor Who: Shining Darkness
  • Doctor Who: The Rising Night (Audio Original)
  • Doctor Who: Judgement of the Judoon
  • Doctor Who: Sick Building
  • Doctor Who: The Many Hands
  • Doctor Who: Wishing Well
  • Doctor Who: Autonomy

BBC Doctor Who: New Series Audio Exclusives (1 - 10 of 21 books)
  • Doctor Who: Pest Control
  • Doctor Who: The Nemonite Invasion
  • Doctor Who: The Rising Night (Audio Original)
  • Doctor Who: The Day of the Troll (BBC Audio)
  • Doctor Who: The Last Voyage (BBC Audio)
  • Doctor Who: Dead Air