Start by marking “The Hundredth Man (Carson Ryder, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Hundredth Man (Carson Ryder, #1)

The Hundredth Man (Carson Ryder #1)

3.82  ·  Rating Details ·  2,009 Ratings  ·  138 Reviews
Bizarre messages carved into the flesh of two corpses in Mobile, Alabama, launch a special unit devoted to solving psychotic crimes. They're also launching Detective Carson Ryder into a nightmare with only one weapon-his own terrifying past.
Published June 7th 2005 by Signet (first published 2004)

To ask other readers questions about The Hundredth Man, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Hundredth Man

Lisa
Oct 08, 2014 Lisa rated it liked it
Shelves: did-not-like
This started off well for me but for some reason in the middle the plot just fell apart Carson Ryder was likable enough but his character just fell a bit by the wayside. By the ending was a lot of babble about nothing.
3 stars
Gail
Sep 13, 2012 Gail rated it liked it
Shelves: kindle
This is going to be a hard review to write, I'm afraid. I disliked the book and liked it in equal turns. The dialogue is very hard to follow, even for a die hard thriller fan like me, and at times I found I had to go back and re-read numerous paragraphs/sentences to understand what was going on; sometimes I still didn't! It's extremely disjointed for the most part and I never really understood why Captain Squill was trying to scupper the investigation: strange as Carson was hot on the trail of t ...more
Carrie
Detective Carson Ryder deals mostly with cases that involve those who are mentally unstable. The psychopaths, the insane. Little is it know he has his own secrets to hide.

When I first started this book I was drawn into the storyline but not so much the storytelling. I felt as if there was some pile up of extra stuff that took away from the story itself. But still I could not stop reading it getting more drawn into the book as I continued turning the pages.

Looking forward to the next book in the
Victoria
As much as I hate to read books in a series out of order, I actually read the sequel to this book (The Death Collectors) first. I must admit, that despite my expectations, I actually enjoyed the sequel more than this first book in the Carson Ryder series! Though Kerley did not give away any plot points in the sequel, a lot of the tension was still lessened since the characters all “made it” to the sequel. Still, it was an enjoyable and fast-paced mystery - just not as filled with dramatic tensio ...more
Fae
May 12, 2013 Fae rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: hard-copy
I've read a couple of books in the Carson Ryder series and really enjoyed them, so I finally bought the first one and it's really just not as good as the others at all. I'd really give it two and a half stars (why can't we give half stars, goodreads???) as it drifted in and out of being enjoyable and then just being okay. I'm glad I read it, because back story etc, but the whole thing kind of felt a lot like that, just a back story for the rest of the books. I'm a big fan of detective novels, ev ...more
Weylin
Mar 24, 2008 Weylin rated it did not like it
This book was horrible. It was one bad detective cliché after bad cliché. The dialogue in the worst 1950’s detective movie is 1,000 times better than what is in this book. And to top it off, this book is more about a relationship the main detective has with an alcoholic medical examiner than it is about a serial killer mystery. I am mad at myself for reading 220 pages of this book and not stopping sooner.
Diane
Mar 04, 2011 Diane rated it really liked it
If you like murder mysteries you would enjoy this book. It is the first one I've read by this author and I will look for more of his books. Naturally being about murder, it was a little gory in places, but the characters were likable (except for the bad guys!) and there were plenty of twists and turns to keep one's interest. The setting was Mobile, Alabama and the main character a young detective named Carson Ryder. Now you will have to read the book to find out more.
Joan
Mar 19, 2014 Joan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: crime-thriller
Twisty, complex thriller, with lovely dark moments, although I am getting a little tired of the over-used 'bad boss in the police department' scenario. Are there NO decent, honest police forces in the US? (grinning here)
Elaine
Feb 03, 2015 Elaine rated it really liked it
For those of you who enjoy crime but, like me get irritated by the ‘hard-boiled’ style that reads like a police report – this is the one for you. Set in Mobile, Alabama, Kerley’s use of imagery is stunning.

“The morning smelled pure enough to drink when we awakened at dawn. The storm slipped north around 3:00 a.m., the only relics of its passing were breeze in the sea grasses and the pockmark stippling of the sand.”

This book has a fantastic concept. Who doesn’t want to read about a wholesome So
LJ
THE HUNDREDTH MAN (Police Procedural) – G
Jack Kerley – 1st book
Dutton, 2004 – Hardcover
Det. Carson Ryder is one-half of new team supposed to investigate crimes which indicate having been committed by someone with psychological disorder; i.e., crazy. For their first case, they have a serial killer leaving headless bodies lying about with very small writing on the body.
*** The character of Ryder and his history is intriguing if a bit familiar. I really enjoyed his experienced partner Harry. The cr
Erin
Nov 28, 2015 Erin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed Kerley's writing style and characters. I love a good crime/detective novel, and Kerley sucked me into the world of Mobile, AL instantly. I genuinely like the characters of Carson and Harry, and was left guessing whodunnit until the end. This book addresses my obsession with things like Criminal Minds and I will be reading more Jack Kerley!
Kelly
Jan 03, 2016 Kelly rated it liked it
Because I have some other Kearley books I really wanted to start at the beginning with the first in the Carson Ryder series. This book felt a bit jumpy to me and I had to back track a few times to keep up with the story but I did like it and the characters. I have a feeling this book maybe sets the ground work so I'm sure the series will get better as it goes on.
Charlie
Feb 25, 2009 Charlie rated it liked it
bizarre serial killer. Detective meets cold morgue lady. People as weird as the serial killer are working against the clock to find serial killer. A number of deada end trips before they nail him. Good but not oustanding...Fast read.
Helen
Jun 23, 2011 Helen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: crime-thriller
I am so enjoying the Carson Ryder series, Kerley's writing style is so fluid and easy to read, the pages just zip by. This series has just the right mix of mystery, suspense and gore, and Ryder and his partner Nautilus are a great cop duo. Will be seeking out the next in the series shortly.
Helen
Jul 19, 2011 Helen rated it really liked it
Maria
Mar 13, 2010 Maria rated it really liked it
Thanks, Brandy, for the recommendation.
Robert
Jul 08, 2008 Robert rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Read this book. Didn't like the plot. Gave it away. Typical Max Payne stuff. And to come to think of it, Max Payne was more interesting then this! You can try, but I wouldn't recommend it.
Linda Wright
Oct 23, 2016 Linda Wright rated it it was amazing
I read this book after writer Matt Hilton recommended it, and I wasn’t disappointed. It’s a great read.

Carson Ryder is a troubled man, and is empathetic to the troubles of others. This embroils him in the lives of others where most would walk away. He’s driven to help, to solve and to fix, whether it’s the people around him or the challenge of a puzzling murder. Conversely, he doesn’t understand the political aspect of policing, and struggles to counter the machinations of a superior in the for
Myrna
Mar 16, 2017 Myrna rated it really liked it
3.5/5 stars. I found the story engaging, and I liked the characters. However, I felt Kerley's portrayal of alcoholism was weak and unbelievable. Since it didn't really add anything to the story, I think the book would have been stronger without it.
Angela
I feel I'm being a little generous giving 3 stars.
The book started really well and I anticipated a quick and easy read. Sadly I was mistaken and really had to force myself to keep reading to the end. I guess one thing that goes in favour of the book, is the way in which it made me feel I needed to read through to its conclusion.
Hardik Poptani
Oct 30, 2014 Hardik Poptani rated it really liked it
I think that this book was great. It was a mystery book about a detective named Carson Ryder who lives in southern Alabama in the present state. Carson is trying to solve a case about the beheading of a woman. The woman appeared to look similar to the club he goes to. Carson's co-workers are Ava Davendelle and Harry. Harry is a chief of the police department, and is assigned to this case. Ava is also a detective that works on this case. When Carson was trying to figure out what happened to her, ...more
Maddy
Jun 01, 2010 Maddy rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2004-reads
Relatively new to the Mobile, Alabama, police force, Carson Ryder is appointed to a very prestigious position as one of two detectives on a new unit, Psychopathological and Sociopathological Investigative Team or PSIT (also referred to as "Piss-It). He showed his stuff during a very difficult case by coming up with a completely original interpretation of a crime that no one else had even imagined. What only Carson knows is that the solution came from first-hand knowledge of a psychopath, his bro ...more
Tony
Apr 25, 2009 Tony rated it really liked it
Shelves: thrillers
Kerley, Jack. THE HUNDREDTH MAN. (2004). ****. This is a new author for me, recommended by a friend in Wales. Go figure. The author is a Kentucky native, and set this novel, his first, in the Mobile Bay area. We meet two detectives, Carson Ryder (Cars) and Harry Nautilus. They comprise all of a new section of the Mobile police, called PSIT, short for Psychopathological and Sociopathological Investigative Team. Their team was formed after they managed to close a murder investigatiion that was esp ...more
Shelley
Nov 12, 2010 Shelley rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Synopsis: Carson Ryder who has a troubled and problematic past, teams up with partner Harry Nautilus as part of the newly formed two-man PSIT (Psychopathological and Sociopathological Investigative Team), referred to as Piss-it by the other members of the Mobile, Ala., police force. While Piss-it’s official mandate is the investigation of murders committed by particularly horrendous killers, the formation of the team is actually a public relations scheme.

Nevertheless, when a headless body turns
KruemelGizmo
Bei der Explosion einer Leiche wird dem obduzierenden Gerichtsmediziner mehrere Finger abgerissen und macht ihn damit arbeitsunfähig. Hat er etwas mit den beiden geköpften Leichen zu tun, die nun von der Polizei gefunden wurden. Wollte er sich rächen? Carson Ryder und Harry Nautilus stehen vor einem Rätsel. Was verbergen die Ärzte im gerichtsmedizinischen Institut? Ryder bekannt für seine Hartnäckigkeit und seine unkonventionellen Ermittlungsmethoden lässt sich nicht so einfach abspeisen und kon ...more
Laurie
Mar 18, 2009 Laurie rated it really liked it
Shelves: jack-kerley
In The Hundredth Man, Detectives Carson Ryder and Harry Nautilus are investigating a gruesome case of serial murders. As members of the fledgling PSIT team in Mobile Alabama, they are faced with solving this case while wading through department politics. Decapitated bodies are appearing with alarming frequency and there are few leads to follow. Meanwhile, Carson is dealing with a disturbing family history. His unstable brother Jeremy is imprisoned for murder and may be the only source of help fo ...more
Ice
May 12, 2010 Ice rated it really liked it
Shelves: thriller
First-time author Kerley debuts with a classically constructed, psychotic-killer-with-a-horrendous-childhood thriller featuring young detective Carson Ryder, himself troubled by a problematic past. Carson and partner Harry Nautilus are the newly formed two-man Psychopathological and Sociopathological Investigative Team, referred to as Piss-it by the other members of the Mobile, Ala., police force. While Piss-it's official mandate is the investigation of murders committed by particularly horrendo ...more
 Olivermagnus
Jan 19, 2016 Olivermagnus rated it really liked it
The Hundredth Man introduces the reader to Carson Ryder, a Mobile, Alabama homicide detective and one of two detectives assigned to the Psychopathological and Sociopathological Investigative Team, or PSIT. PSIT is a unit created to investigate freakish homicides. The other half of the team is Harry Nautilus, a more experienced detective. When a killer begins to leave headless corpses around the Mobile area, it seems to be exactly the situation for which PSIT was brought into existence. However, ...more
Michael
Young, Mobile Alabama Police Detective Carson Ryder is the rare man who searches in dark places to find the necessary answers. He and his partner, Harry Nautilus, are called to the scene when a headless body is found in a park in southwest Mobile.

Both men are part of a newly formed Psychoathological Sociopathological Investigative Team, PSIT, which the cops refer to in a more colorful name.

Capt. Terrence Squill is an ambitious autocrat. He views the body and dismisses it as a homosexual meeting
Mark
Sep 20, 2011 Mark rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2011, gifts
I read a Carson Ryder novel (Blood Brother) quite some time ago and have been meaning to read the first book in the series since. I really liked this book and like the original relationship between the main charcter and his brother compared the the usual crime thiller templates. The book took a while to get going and I thought the alcoholic storyline was a bit needless at first but it soon developed into a quite intriguing storyline (although I am still a little unsure about one of the charcters ...more
  • The Skin Gods (Jessica Balzano & Kevin Byrne, #2)
  • With Red Hands (Violet Eyes, #2)
  • Shadow Men (Max Freeman, #3)
  • The Dead Room (Darby McCormick #3)
  • Fear Itself
  • In Dark Places
  • The Dying Hour (Jason Wade, #1)
  • Messiah
  • Brother Grimm (Jan Fabel, #2)
  • The Burning Girl (Tom Thorne, #4)
  • Mirror Image
  • John Saul: Three Terrifying Bestselling Novels: Suffer the Children; Punish the Sinners; Cry for the Strangers
  • The Coroner (Jenny Cooper, #1)
  • Collecting Cooper (Theodore Tate, #2)
  • Immoral (Jonathan Stride, #1)
  • Run The Risk (Alex Delillo, #1)
AKA J.A. Kerley

John Albert Kerley is an American author. He spent 20 years in a successful advertising career before writing his first book, The Hundredth Man.

He currently lives in Newport, Kentucky, and is married with two children. He enjoys the outdoors, particularly fishing.

He is the author of the acclaimed Alabama-set series of Carson Ryder novels
More about Jack Kerley...

Carson Ryder (1 - 10 of 12 books)
  • The Death Collectors (Carson Ryder, #2)
  • A Garden Of Vipers (Carson Ryder, #3)
  • Blood Brother (Carson Ryder, #4)
  • In The Blood (Carson Ryder, #5)
  • Little Girls Lost (Carson Ryder, #6)
  • Buried Alive (Carson Ryder, #7)
  • Her Last Scream (Carson Ryder, #8)
  • The Killing Game (Carson Ryder #9)
  • The Death Box (Carson Ryder #10)
  • The Memory Killer (Carson Ryder #11)