Start by marking “The Devil's Teardrop” as Want to Read:
The Devil's Teardrop

The Devil's Teardrop

3.98  ·  Rating Details ·  6,243 Ratings  ·  284 Reviews
Thriller readers can always count on getting extra value from Jeffery Deaver--strong plots, fascinating research, believable characters and plenty of surprise endings. As in The Terminator, the bad guys in The Devil's Teardrop just won't quit and they create enough havoc in the last 50 pages to fill a whole new book.

Although Deaver's brilliant, wheelchair-bound forensic ex
Published May 4th 2000 by Hodder (first published 1999)

To ask other readers questions about The Devil's Teardrop, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Devil's Teardrop

Corey
Apr 12, 2013 Corey rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I happened to find this book at a used bookstore and I thought it sounded interesting so I decided to give it a shot. I've read a couple of the Lincoln Rhyme books, one of them The Bone Collector, which was good but creepy. The Devil's Teardrop wasn't half as disturbing as The Bone Collector, and of course it was a stand-alone book, however Lincoln Rhyme does have a cameo in this book which I thought was cool.

This book takes place on New Years Eve Night in Washington DC, a mysterious killer know
Arybo ✨
Veramente bello ed affascinante. Oltretutto, è autoconclusivo - anche se l'autore ha detto che gli piacerebbe scrivere ancora di Kinkaid. :D
Denise
Feb 17, 2017 Denise rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Silvestermorgen in Washington, D.C.: ein Unbekannter schießt in einem U-Bahnhof um sich und tötet 23 Menschen. So schnell wie er tötet, so schnell kann der Digger, wie er genannt wird, unerkannt fliehen. Kurze Zeit später geht ein Erpresserbrief im Rathaus ein. Der Drahtzieher verlangt 20 Millionen Dollar, ansonsten wird das Morden weitergehen. FBI- Agent Margaret Lukas ist ratlos und greift nach dem Strohhalm, der ihr vom Täter geboten wird: der handschriftliche Brief. Mit Hilfe von Handschrift ...more
Susanhayeshotmail.com
Total brain candy and I'm okay with that, it's summer. In case I haven't mentioned this before, brain candy is escapist reading, stuff you wouldn't want to read all the time because just like real candy, it's not good for you. You might think that would mean light, sweet, fluffy reading but to me that's only part of it. I love thrillers but I have to confess I am not sure they are all that good for your brain because I'm not sure I do a lot of time thinking about big questions when i read them, ...more
Deron Johnson
Jun 16, 2012 Deron Johnson rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great read. Not life changing, but definitely an engaging thriller, just perfect for a vacation, where I finished it in 3 days.

This is the first I've read of Jeffery Deaver, but I like his style. The dialogue seems real, not contrived. And that's how most of the information for the plot is delivered, through the dialogue and not from the point of view of the narrator, who largely stays out of it.

Another big plus is that all of the main characters have substantial back stories that link them tog
Rob1109
Jul 19, 2016 Rob1109 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was the first book I’ve read by Mr. Deaver. All I can say is WOW.

This book had everything I like in a good—no, GREAT book. There were endless plot twists and turns from the opening chapter to the last few pages. The characters were realistic. I identified with all of them. The writing was crisp, powerful and moving. I’d write more praise for The Devil’s Teardrop but I’m sleepy.

I am looking fwd to reading many more of his writing.

Georgie Mathew
Dec 27, 2012 Georgie Mathew rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The first book that got me hooked to J Deaver. Brilliant.
Patrice Hoffman
Jun 12, 2011 Patrice Hoffman rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is an enjoyable fast paced read. Anyone who's a fan of Deaver should read this book. I was on the edge of my seat the whole time I read this one. I really liked the ending...
Alison Smith
A terrific holiday read; good twist at the end.
Veronica Hernandez
I enjoyed this book. It was a page turner. Well written and suspenseful.
Darren
Apr 06, 2015 Darren rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It was a good book. I liked it a lot. It was a well written book. It was full of action/adventure.
Milt Jacobs
Sep 02, 2016 Milt Jacobs rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Second read of this book just as good as the first.
PaulHargreaves
Feb 07, 2017 PaulHargreaves rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Staggeringly good! Similar to a Rhyme book with its focus on forensics and a mastermind criminal, but without the limitations of a quadriplegic. Just when you think it's ending, there's another twist.......and another. Highly recommended.
Michelle Ford
Disappointing. I skipped much of it. If you're looking for Rhyme this isn't the book to read.

Found this very long winded. Took 1 attempts to read it just because I don't like to not finish a book.
Francesca
-3,5 stelline-

Adoro Deaver ed il suo modo di scrivere. I suoi romanzi sono sempre scorrevoli, coinvolgenti, pieni di colpi di scena. Questo non fa eccezione, è davvero ben congeniato, tiene incollati alle pagine fino all'ultimo. Poi il cammeo di Rhyme, tanto inaspettato quanto apprezzato < 3
Phyllis
Nov 15, 2016 Phyllis rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
interesting.serial killer, D.C setting.lots of twist and turns. good support for carry permit!
HighTech
Jan 18, 2017 HighTech rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The book that got me into thrillers.
Helen Magee
Mar 12, 2017 Helen Magee rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Talk about a twist in every chapter! Had me hooked quite early on and the surprises just kept coming, excellent thriller, characters I really got involved in, excellent plot and background story lines!
Ken
Mar 06, 2017 Ken rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Cindy Thomas
Dumbest ending ever

Story was ok until the end when he chose to h ave a 10 year old finish it . Do yourself a favor and scroll past this one.
Ching-Bing-Ping

The Devil’s Teardrop by Jeffery Deaver, is a standalone novel, featuring Special Agent Margaret Lukas and document examiner Parker Kincaid. The story is set in a time frame of less than 12 hours on the last day of the previous millennium i.e. 31.12.1999.
The novel starts with a lone gunman, calling himself the Digger, spraying bullets from a silenced machine gun into a crowded station on New Year’s Eve in Washington. Sometimes later the mayor gets a ransom note asking him to pay $20 million, or e
Donna Hill
May 18, 2014 Donna Hill rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I bagged most of my work day on Friday in order to finish this book. It was another one of those exciting, suspenseful murder mysteries with unseen plot twists and an undercurrent of romantic tension. Deaver does a better than average job of wrapping everything up at the end, which is a huge plus for me.

The scene is Washington, D.C. It's the last day of the year, and a ruthless killer called the Digger is hitting densely populated areas every four hours, killing as many people as possible. But,
Linda
Jan 01, 2016 Linda rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another non-Lincoln Rhyme book, but another great Jeffrey Deaver book. I just love this author. The last time I was at the library I pretty much cleaned them out of Deaver books.

This one deals with a document analysis specialist Parker Kincaid who has retired from the FBI because he wants to retain custody of his two children. He works at home now, perusing documents for private people and institutions.

However, on New Year's Eve, his ex-wife shows up at the door and informs him that she will be
Oct 17, 2010 Sarah rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Jeffery Deaver is my ultimate favorite mass-market author. His suspenseful mystery novels are the best in his genre because you'll never be able to put the pieces together. Deaver is the king of red herrings and he never fails!

The Devil's Teardrop takes place on New Year's Eve 1999 and follows forensic document expert Parker Kincaid and FBI Agent Margaret Lukas as they try to capture a deadly killer known as the "Digger". After an early morning attack on innocent bystanders at the metro station
Manugw
Jun 15, 2011 Manugw rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
ENTERTAINING BUT FAR FETCHED

Having read other Deaver books one knows what to expect from him, and he well knows you are expecting that because he tends to follow the same cliche: the introduction of the characters, the creation of an intrincate plot, and a bunch of tricks for the ending. At the same time one also knows that he has set the devil loose playing with the good guys and wonders who might be, this book brushes up on riddles and is a riddle on itself Near the ending, as usual, he will d
Farah
Jul 12, 2009 Farah rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, novel, reviewed
Akhirnya, novel detektif pertama yang gue baca setelah bertahun-tahun lamanya otak gue disesaki sama bacaan-bacaan selewatnya aja..

Buku ini bagus. Alur ceritanya mirip sama Angel and Demon dan The Davinci Code, dimana cerita berlangsung hanya dalam waktu satu hari (kurang-lebih).
Ceritanya rumit. Gue suka cerita yang rumit-rumit, yang pake mikir, ditambah lagi ada penjelasan detail mengenai sesuatu yang belum gue tahu sebelumnya. Dalam novel ini, gimana cara menganalisa tulisan seseorang sampe ak
Miranda
Feb 18, 2014 Miranda rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love reading a good thriller novel every now and then, especially one that can keep me guessing. That's the type of novel I was looking for when I picked up The Devil's Teardrop, and I'm happy to say that it didn't disappoint me.

Set on New Year's Eve 1999 - the last day of the 20th century - The Devil's Teardrop follows special agent Margaret Lukas and retired FBI agent Parker Kincaid as they try to track down a killer. This killer - The Digger - has been directed to open fire on large groups
Stacy
Jun 26, 2016 Stacy rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Spoiler
Any avid reader has standards for a good story.
This one falls short of mine, in that I expect an author to respect the reader enough not to play dirty by changing the facts late in the story in order to make it come together.
If a character is thinking and the thoughts are written for us, we assume we can expect them to be true im relation to the plot
The same with a reaction from a character.
"The driver of a large truck had been looking at an invoice - "
The paragraph sets up the scene
Jerry
Jul 03, 2011 Jerry rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
We’ll readily admit to being a Deaver fan, having read nearly his entire lengthy booklist, including the older and somewhat now obscure Rune and John Pellam series. Deaver is best known for his Lincoln Rhyme set, featuring the quadriplegic forensic detective made all the more famous by Denzel Washington in the film “Bone Collector”. However, “Teardrop” is one of the author’s non-series thrillers.

The plot gets off to a fast start when a brutal but nondescript killer, “Digger”, machine-guns down s
Lauren
Jun 06, 2014 Lauren rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2014-read
Parker Kinkaid is an expert document analyst that's retired from the FBI to have a safer home environment for his two children. On New Years Eve in Washington, DC, a shooter kills many people at a subway station and a note is left for the mayor. Pay $20M or face three more shootings before the end of the night. The FBI brings in Kinkaid to take a look at the note and see what he can learn about the killer. Kinkaid finds one notable trait, what he calls the devil's teardrop, the dot on the i lift ...more
  • Suspect Zero
  • The Texas Chainsaw Massacre
  • Dark Hollow (Charlie Parker, #2)
  • Messiah
  • The Bombmaker
  • Nathan's Run
  • Rencana Besar
  • To Sir, With Love
  • The Viking Funeral (Shane Scully, #2)
  • A Thin Dark Line (Doucet, #4: Broussard and Fourcade, #1)
  • Self-Defense (Alex Delaware, #9)
  • The Rosetta Key (Ethan Gage, #2)
  • The Kill Clause (Tim Rackley, #1)
#1 international bestselling author of over thirty novels and three collections of short stories. His books are sold in 150 countries and translated into 25 languages. His first novel featuring Lincoln Rhyme, The Bone Collector, was made into a major motion picture starring Denzel Washington and Angelina Jolie. He's received or been shortlisted for a number of awards around the world.
More about Jeffery Deaver...