Start by marking “Heirs with Christ: The Puritans on Adoption” as Want to Read:
Heirs with Christ: The Puritans on Adoption

Heirs with Christ: The Puritans on Adoption

really liked it 4.0  ·  Rating Details ·  31 Ratings  ·  8 Reviews
The Puritans have gotten bad press for their supposed lack of teaching on the doctrine of spiritual adoption. In Heirs with Christ, Joel R. Beeke dispels this caricature and shows that the Puritan era did more to advance the idea that every true Christian is God's adopted child than any other age of church history. This little book lets the Puritans speak for themselves, s ...more
Published April 2nd 2008 by Reformation Heritage Books (first published January 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Heirs with Christ, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Heirs with Christ

Chris Crane
Jan 23, 2016 Chris Crane rated it liked it
Shelves: read-in-2015
Dr. Beeke has provided a nice, short introduction to now just what the Puritans taught about spiritual adoption, but also a nice introduction to the doctrine itself. With that being said, I have two qualms with the book.

First off, it was a poor editorial decision to keep the original Puritan spelling of words intact. It would have made for easier comprehension and made for a better flow of reading. Secondly, at the beginning of chapter six, Dr. Beeke writes that "We lost the status and privilege
Mark Helfrich
Apr 01, 2011 Mark Helfrich rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this book. More than showing me that the puritans taught on adoption, which it did, it shaped mt theology on adoption. I had some experience with adoption through a sermon and Knowing God by J.I. Packer but this added so much more. I know that there is even more that can be said about adoption. Even before I finished it, my prayers had change because of what I had learned. My Father in Heaven is genuinely concerned with my concerns and cares and wants me to bring them to Him. I ...more
Mark A Powell
Dec 30, 2013 Mark A Powell rated it it was ok
Beeke looks at the Puritan writings and teachings on the doctrine of adoption and shows that, far from being neglected, was a consistent (if not dominant) component of their theology. Sadly, this is all Beeke does, presenting here a compendium of others’ writings while adding little to no original material. As such, this is best suited as a reference book and perhaps misses a golden opportunity to examine either the doctrine or its outworking in greater detail.
Brent Dore
Feb 13, 2011 Brent Dore rated it really liked it
Shelves: theology
Great introduction to the contributions that the Puritans made to understanding the theology of adoption. It's a quick read but it was disjointed at times due to the jumping between quotes. The reality that we as believers are adopted as sons of God with full inheritance in the kingdom is an earth-shatterings, awe-inspiring truth. This book does an excellent job of helping the reader understand that reality. Highly recommended.
Jkanz
Nov 24, 2012 Jkanz rated it it was ok
This book was a good introduction to the concept of spiritual adoption. I did not find it particularly engaging, though I think that Beeke hit upon important concepts. I think one of the drawbacks of the book (though I am sure many would like it this way) is that he maintained the original spellings that the puritans used, which made it often difficult to understand.
Ron Reffett
Incredible book on the doctrine of adoption from the perspective of the Puritans. Beeke does a wonderful job of exposing the softer more familial side of the Puritans. Great book, especially if you struggle with knowing the true love of the Father for you.
David
Feb 09, 2010 David rated it liked it
Heirs with Christ is a survey of puritan biblical beliefs with respect to adoption. It was a little strange reading a compilation of puritan quotes and biblical texts. There were definitely some good observations in the book.

Stephen Cruver
Jan 09, 2010 Stephen Cruver rated it it was amazing
Great book...especially the foreward!!
Bro Rollie
Bro Rollie marked it as to-read
Sep 04, 2016
Dave Vosseller
Dave Vosseller rated it it was amazing
Sep 03, 2016
Dirk
Dirk marked it as to-read
Aug 30, 2016
Selkie Narwhal
Selkie Narwhal marked it as to-read
Aug 25, 2016
Steve Johnson
Steve Johnson marked it as to-read
May 13, 2016
Keith
Keith marked it as to-read
Feb 18, 2016
Melinda
Melinda marked it as to-read
Jan 03, 2016
BRK
BRK rated it it was amazing
Nov 26, 2015
Caio Vidigal
Caio Vidigal marked it as to-read
Oct 06, 2015
Ryan
Ryan marked it as to-read
Feb 08, 2016
Daniel Piva
Daniel Piva marked it as to-read
Aug 07, 2015
Alan Alexandrino
Alan Alexandrino rated it it was amazing
Aug 06, 2015
Aphroditis
Aphroditis marked it as to-read
May 30, 2015
Mark Hogan
Mark Hogan rated it really liked it
May 30, 2015
Matthew
Matthew rated it liked it
Dec 27, 2014
Kyle Houlton
Kyle Houlton marked it as to-read
Nov 26, 2014
Nathan
Nathan marked it as to-read
Nov 17, 2014
Andrea
Andrea marked it as to-read
Nov 10, 2014
Kendra
Kendra rated it liked it
Nov 14, 2014
« previous 1 3 next »
Dr. Joel R. Beeke serves as President and Professor of Systematic Theology, Church History, and Homiletics. He has been in the ministry since 1978 and has served as a pastor of his current church since 1986. He is also editor of the Banner of Sovereign Grace Truth, editorial director of Reformation Heritage Books, president of Inheritance Publishers, and vice-president of the Dutch Reformed Transl ...more
More about Joel R. Beeke...