Start by marking “The Case for Marriage: Why Married People are Happier, Healthier and Better Off Financially” as Want to Read:

A groundbreaking look at marriage, one of the most basic and universal of all human institutions, which reveals the emotional, physical, economic, and sexual benefits that marriage brings to individuals and society as a whole.

The Case for Marriage is a critically important intervention in the national debate about the future of family. Based on the authoritative research o
Published October 9th 2001 by Broadway Books (first published October 3rd 2000)

To ask other readers questions about The Case for Marriage, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Case for Marriage

Christina
May 17, 2011 Christina rated it it was amazing
This book is full of the kind of statistics I could read all day. It's so interesting! Waite and Gallagher look at many of the assumed myths of marriage: cohabitation provides the same benefits, married women are more likely to abused and less likely to be happy, men have a less exciting sex life, divorce should be based on a couples "happiness." Using statistical analysis they refute each one and shed light on many of the amazing benefits of marriage. For example, did you know that "compared to ...more
Erik
Jan 19, 2016 Erik rated it did not like it
get this junk tf outta my face
Heather
Sep 15, 2008 Heather rated it really liked it
This book made me glad that I am married. It was nice to read a study that supported what I already knew (ie. that being married you get a lot more done). One of the most interesting parts of the books was the comparison's between married couples and cohabiting couples, and it showed that making a commitment to each other makes men and women happier and healthier. I especially liked chapter 6 ;)
David Messier
Jul 18, 2015 David Messier rated it really liked it
This book was a good exploration into the positive and life-enhancing qualities that married people can expect. My parents divorced early in my life, so this book was useful in breaking my misconceptions of marriage and helped me to foster an appreciation for the act of getting married.
Yellow Rose
Aug 21, 2012 Yellow Rose rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this book a lot personally and I agree with the premise of the book that marriage is beneficial compared to just dating or just cohabitation. There is no new information beyond that. This book is filled with statistics and studies the authors use to prove their point that marriage helps health wise, intimacy wise, which is okay they do a good job in stating their case. However, I found the book a bit on the boring side because it seemed every paragraph had some statistic in it. As I me ...more
Richard Mansel
Apr 25, 2014 Richard Mansel rated it it was amazing
Anyone who wants to understand the importance of marriage must read this book. Waite and Gallagher fill this book with solid research to prove their case that marriage is superior to cohabitation. Highly recommended.
Kara
Jul 14, 2008 Kara rated it really liked it
Definitely a right-wing perspective on marriage and it's benefits to both the spouses and society. I did find the statistics very interesting though. Many of the "marital myths" are disspelled through 30+ year studies. If you're considering cohabitating vs. getting married, this book is worth reading to better help you understand the pros and cons of marriage.
Annette
Aug 06, 2008 Annette rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: people who like academic nonficiton
Shelves: read-and-reread
If you can handle studies on marriage being explained and results recounted (obviously I don't mind that sort of thing), this book is good. It just feels good to read empirical data that being married is better than all the other options. You learn that marriage is about specialized skills and that is what makes it last in many cases.
Kevin Shafer
Mar 06, 2008 Kevin Shafer rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: lay sociologists
This is a very good, well-researched volume about marriage. I particulary appreciate it because many sociologists and demographers are turning their attention to alternative family forms. While these unions certainly merit attention by academics, Waite reminds us why marriage is important and good in our society.
Brad
Oct 05, 2012 Brad rated it really liked it
A wealth of data, mainly based on the research of a University of Chicago sociologist, demythologizing many misconceptions surrounding marriage. Everything conventional wisdom tells us about marriage, cohabitation, and divorce is contradicted at every point by research data .
Julia
Jan 11, 2011 Julia rated it really liked it
Shelves: divorce-marriage
Easy to read. This was required reading in a doctoral level course, but very interesting, and doesn't read like an academic book, although it does cite quite a bit of research, that any layman could understand.
Breeana
Oct 20, 2010 Breeana rated it it was amazing
I loved this book! I rarely give out five stars... marriage is truly rewarding when both partners put in all their effort. Co-habitation is a cop-out. I recommend this book to everyone 16 and older!
Loralee
Oct 29, 2014 Loralee rated it it was amazing
This is a great reference guide complete with the latest statistics and facts concerning marital satisfaction. Gallagher and Waite make a very logical point.
Sarah Curtis
Feb 14, 2008 Sarah Curtis rated it it was amazing
Very research-focused, but a great book that defends marriage and provides the benefits of marriage.
Jonathan
Great defense of marriage from the perspective of personal happiness and human flourishing.
Chrisanne
Dec 05, 2012 Chrisanne rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
This books should be required reading for every high school student.
Jeff Kazmierski
Sep 22, 2008 Jeff Kazmierski rated it really liked it
A lot of research based evidence but great information none the less.
Larry
Jul 22, 2008 Larry rated it liked it
good book...i love being married to kathy
Erendira
Mar 29, 2010 Erendira added it
Shelves: family
VCL acq - 3/29/10
Yvonna
Yvonna marked it as to-read
Sep 20, 2016
Eric Guantai
Eric Guantai marked it as to-read
Sep 20, 2016
Sylvia Zhang
Sylvia Zhang rated it liked it
Sep 11, 2016
Nicole Sampson
Nicole Sampson marked it as to-read
Sep 06, 2016
Manushi Majumdar
Manushi Majumdar marked it as to-read
Sep 03, 2016
F.
F. marked it as to-read
Aug 30, 2016
Helen Lautenschlager
Helen Lautenschlager rated it really liked it
Aug 29, 2016
BookDB
BookDB marked it as to-read
Aug 28, 2016
Cori
Cori marked it as to-read
Aug 27, 2016
Koriane
Koriane marked it as to-read
Aug 27, 2016
Kelly Zens
Kelly Zens rated it it was amazing
Aug 23, 2016
  • What Our Mothers Didn't Tell Us: Why Happiness Eludes the Modern Woman
  • Demography
  • The Complete Husband: A Practical Guide to Biblical Husbanding
  • Families We Choose: Lesbians, Gays, Kinship
  • Rock-Solid Relationships: Strengthening Personal Relationships with Wisdom from the Scriptures
  • The Intimate Marriage
  • Gender
  • The Way Home: Beyond Feminism, Back to Reality
  • The Three Worlds of Welfare Capitalism
  • The Feasts of the Lord: God's Prophetic Calendar From Calvary to the Kingdom
  • Social Network Analysis: Methods and Applications
  • Starlight and Time: Solving the Puzzle of Distant Starlight in a Young Universe
  • Purity and Passion: Spiritual Truths about Intimacy That Will Strengthen Your Marriage
  • The Good Marriage: How and Why Love Lasts