Start by marking “Life in Rewind” as Want to Read:
Life in Rewind

Life in Rewind

“A surprising tale of success by medical science confronted with a nearly insurmountable disorder. Well-rounded, powerful, and inspirational.”

Kirkus Reviews

In the vein of Manic and Girl, Interrupted, and the popular stories of Oliver Sacks, Life in Rewind is the captivating true story of promising young athlete Ed Zine’s sudden descent into severe mental illness, and the
Published April 14th 2009 by William Morrow (first published March 1st 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Life in Rewind, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Life in Rewind

Robert C.
Feb 22, 2016 Robert C. rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have a friend that has OCD. I didn't ask - she just told me. I didn't pry - she just seems like a normal person to me. She didn't get upset when I didn't put my boots where she suggested. She doesn't seem to get upset about anything really. This book suggests that she might be upset behind the façade (and no - I didn't put that hinkey little thing under the c in the last word - the spell checker did that).

So - this book is about someone with OCD. It kind of crept up on him day by day until by
Jun 20, 2009 Irene rated it really liked it
I guess it was curiousity that attracted me to this book. I've seen stuff about OCD on television, showing people with rituals about touching things, not stepping on cracks, and the like. I hoped to learn what goes on inside these people, that leads them to take up such behaviours. I can say I got more than I bargained for with this book. Not only does the book explain the case of one man who developed OCD: how it came on, (gradually at first), what he was thinking, and why he felt the need to o ...more
Aug 18, 2009 carolyn rated it it was amazing
Even more amazing and inspiring than "The Blind Side" -- a devastating true story with a happy ending. (You may notice that I give nearly all of my books five stars -- this is not because I have low standards, but because I have exceptional powers of book-selection)

PS The writing is actually quite crappy in this one -- it doesn't matter, though, because the story is so compelling that Murphy need only lay out the facts...I find the fact that she italicizes on nearly every page (sometimes more th
K.B. Walker
Nov 27, 2012 K.B. Walker rated it really liked it
My son suffers from OCD but until I read this book I had no idea how challenging this condition is. From outside the rituals just look odd but most of the pain and some of the rituals are unseen. It's so hard to understand why otherwise clever people can't stop the illogical behaviour. I hope I can be more supportive towards my son and others now. The only reason I gave four stars instead of five was the very American overuse of superlatives, which I found irritating but accept is a personal res ...more
May 21, 2015 Renea rated it liked it
Just got done with Life in Rewind. It was a very quick read and overall I did enjoy it. It is a pretty amazing and inspirational tale of perseverance in the face of unthinkable challenges. My critique is simply in the narration and the flow of the action. At times I felt like the author focused too long on some parts of the story while speeding through other parts. Other times it was hard to tell how long it took certain events to unfold. I would have like to keep the story moving at a more cons ...more
Jan 21, 2010 Kristi rated it liked it
I was intrigued and horrified by this book. I cannot imagine having to live this way. I came away thinking that people who jokingly say they have OCD issues have absolutely no idea what they're talking about.
Mimi Amira
Sep 04, 2014 Mimi Amira rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
At first, I was so motivated to read this because it was based on true story. I loved true stories. After first few pages, I remember thinking, "Oh no. This is gonna be one long history-taking depiction." I'm expecting a high-end narrative style comparable to the likes of Mitch Albom since I have had him earlier before this book (it's not fair, I know).

But I had never been so wrong when I realized how much hard work it took for the author to compile such an inspiring story like this. And the wa
Sandy D.
This book started rather slowly, and I was a little frustrated by the idea that OCD is only triggered by some psychologically damaging event (since as far as I can tell, it can also occur for no apparent reason, or as a result of an infection, etc.).

In the second half, as Ed Zine and Michael Jenike's relationship is explored, we learn more about OCD, the doctor-patient relationship, and therapies that actually work on OCD, the pace picks up a lot. Terry Weible Murphy does an amazing job of putt
Jan 29, 2010 Cory rated it it was ok
The author of this book does a very good job of describing the subject's OCD and what it was like to be trapped in the cycles of obsession and compulsion. Unfortunately, this is one of the things I didn't like about the book. I mean, it would be hell to live through these intricate thought processes, so why would I want to read through them in all their obsessive detail? It doesn't seem like it would be a helpful book for others with OCD, mainly because Dr. Jenike didn't really do anything to he ...more
Apr 05, 2009 Darbyscloset rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Mystery, Life and Love Readers
Recommended to Darbyscloset by: Harper Collins
Shelves: feel-good
“Time equals Progression, Progression equals death” is the silent mantra that runs 24/7 in Ed’s head and therefore runs his life. Ed is trapped in a self imposed prison; a prison in which only Ed can conjure the key for release. Author, Terry Weible Murphy’s book “Life in Rewind”, introduces us to Ed and his mental prison. The reader immediately has compassion for Ed and therefore this book reads as a fast paced mystery, because we want to know how Ed uncovers the key that sets him free. I recom ...more
Dec 12, 2013 Misty rated it it was amazing
This book was fascinating. As a mother to a son who has OCD I found it both terrifying and uplifting. During the book I became profoundly aware of just how much support and assistance my son may need as an adult. Managing and staying-on-top of his OCD will be a family responsibility, not allowing his OCD to over take him. I appreciated reading about Ed's profound struggles and then learning of his amazing recovery. I know that the doctor of this story was not the one that 'cured' Ed, however we ...more
Sep 07, 2013 Sidra rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have to say, I was really drawn into his story. Already by chapter 2 I was heartbroken and crying. I understood what happened to him, but I was very interested to know what happened to him.. I continued to read, falling asleep and continuing again with valor that I have not felt in reading for quite some time. Some parts of the narrative was repetitive, kind of like an advert or academic report, for example the parts where he kept saying Rudy was a big shot player, but the write proved himself ...more
May 18, 2009 Kathryn rated it really liked it
Summary: Ed has severe Obsessive Compulsive Disorder. After emotionally repressing the death of his mother, he felt compelled to save the lives of his family and friends by rewinding every action that he does to stop the progression of time. This book follows his progression into madness, eventually ending up confined to his basement, and his struggle to end the cycle.

Review: This was a well-written engaging memoir of a difficult situation. You leave the story with hopefulness that you can overc
May 23, 2013 Chris rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Chris by: Michelle
A scary true story which shows how a combination of circumstances can throw someone from a sane individual into the depths of hell that is OCD. I am very fortunate not to have this condition and I also don't know anyone who has, but the author has now made me vividly aware of how incredibly debilitating it can be. I think most people who have no experience of mental illness do not understand the trauma, but this book helps us to understand it a little bit. There is some light at the end of the t ...more
Dec 27, 2013 Kim rated it really liked it
Shelves: biographies
This story illustrates just how big a difference can be made with compassion and respectful treatment of those suffering from mental illness. The description of how Ed's OCD isolated him in his basement in filth, hoarding items to stop the progression of time made me angry at the producers (and viewers) of shows like Hoarders. They make a spectacle of and profit off people who are obviously suffering from some form of mental illness.
Pedro Marques
Jan 19, 2012 Pedro Marques rated it really liked it
Livro de leitura obrigatória para quem sofre, ou é familiar ou amigo de alguém que sofre, de POC – Perturbação Obsessiva Compulsiva. Conta a história real de Edward Zine, um jovem vítima de um caso extremamente grave de POC e descreve a sua luta para controlar esta perturbação, cujo tempo médio de diagnóstico, nos EUA, é de 17 anos.

Li a versão em inglês e não faço ideia se existe tradução para português.
Jan 15, 2012 Jake rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'd give it 3.5 stars. At the start it was said to read that he watched his mother die, a very good story about a man triumph over OCD (obsessive compulsion disorder). My favourite part was my Mayada was introduced and how accepting she was to his illness and even married him (it touched my heart). A good book to be read by anyone especially if you got stuck with your own life.
Apr 20, 2011 Jay rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Family and friends of people with psychiatric disabilities, Consumer / Survivors
I appreciated the tone, subject-centered voice, and writing style of this assisted memoir. The voices of the subject and doctor come through not only in their own telling, but also in the journalist-narrator's framing. A story of finding oneself and learning self-management, it is clear about not being a cure story, which I appreciate as a disabled person.
Jessica Quinn
Dec 29, 2015 Jessica Quinn rated it really liked it
Very interesting look into living with OCD, I have recommended this book to many people who have an interest in mental health or even brain function and will continue too.
Mar 15, 2010 Jenny rated it liked it
This is the true story of young man who suffers from a most severe form of OCD. It really opened my eyes to human suffering.

The writing is okay. The story is compelling, but it is not really a diagnostic or a how-to guide book. If anything this young man's experience shows how individual and varied OCD and subsequent treatment can be.
Sep 17, 2012 M-Tear rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
M-Tear started reading this book yesterday at 10:30 last night. She didn't stop until 2 this morning. Yeah, M-Tear had school today. Very smart, she knows.

Anyway, this is one of the most touching books ever, M-Tear laughed and cried. It is a very good book that M-Tear will remember forever, and she would reccomend it to anybody.
Feb 21, 2013 Tara rated it liked it
It was interesting, but I didn't care for how the story was told... too much like just a recounting of facts. Ed's process of dealing with his OCD seemed more of a "cold turkey" approach. The inclusion of the doctor in Ed's story felt more like the author's hero worship of him, than his ability to help someone with OCD.
Natalie Richards
Oct 20, 2013 Natalie Richards rated it really liked it
A really great book about Ed Zine, and how he learns to control the OCD that has crippled and controlled him for most of his life, and the wonderful doctor Michael Jenike who helps him. A very emotional read.
Jul 20, 2011 Heather rated it really liked it
A griping, and at times exhausting read into the mind of someone suffering from severe OCD. The true beauty in this story is seeing how human connection & love can transform someone's existence.
Yukari Watanabe
Jul 20, 2009 Yukari Watanabe rated it it was amazing
Very honest book. I truly admire Dr. Jenike who admits that his medical treatment failed. However, his friendship with this remarkable OCD patient. Worth reading.
Liz Voce
Aug 29, 2012 Liz Voce rated it it was amazing
This was an unbelievably captivating book. It is an incredibly honest look at the world of OCD. I finished it in 2 days- I couldn't put it down.
May 13, 2012 Dayna rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Wow! Found parts of it very confronting but good to see that it wasn't glossed over and OCD made to look like something it's not.
Nov 15, 2010 Kathleen marked it as to-read
Sometimes you buy a book and then wonder how did this get on my bookshelf unread!! Will read soon after the pile on the table.
Mark Phillips
not an easy read, but a great insight into how varied our human experience can be.
Jun 22, 2009 Denise rated it it was amazing
Well-written, very compelling true story. Sometimes painful, but riveting.
  • Saving Sammy: Curing the Boy Who Caught OCD
  • Workarounds That Work: How to Conquer Anything That Stands Iworkarounds That Work: How to Conquer Anything That Stands in Your Way at Work N Your Way at Work
  • Radical Careering: 100 Truths to Jumpstart Your Job, Your Career, and Your Life
  • The Power of Resilience: Achieving Balance, Confidence, and Personal Strength in Your Life
  • The Mind Tree: A Miraculous Child Breaks The Silence Of Autism
  • What's Holding You Back?: 30 Days to Having the Courage and Confidence to Do What You Want, Meet Whom You Want, and Go Where You Want
  • The Think Big Manifesto: Think You Can't Change Your Life (and the World?) Think Again.
  • Start Over, Finish Rich: 10 Steps to Get You Back on Track in 2010
  • The Opportunity Equation: How Citizen Teachers Are Combating the Achievement Gap in America's Schools
  • Reinvention: How to Make the Rest of Your Life the Best of Your Life
  • The EFT Manual
  • The Scavengers' Manifesto
  • Asperger's From the Inside Out: A Supportive and Practical Guide for Anyone with Asperger's Syndrome
  • Passing for Normal
  • What on Earth Happened?: The Complete Story of the Planet, Life, and People from the Big Bang to the Present Day
  • The Power of Positive Deviance: How Unlikely Innovators Solve the World's Toughest Problems
  • Design Your Self: Rethinking the Way You Live, Love, Work, and Play
  • My Baby Rides the Short Bus: The Unabashedly Human Experience of Raising Kids with Disabilities