Start by marking “Midnight in the Sunken Cathedral (Voice from the Edge)” as Want to Read:
Midnight in the Sunken Cathedral (Voice from the Edge)

Midnight in the Sunken Cathedral (Voice from the Edge)

A stunning realization of some of the writer's best and edgiest work, as wellas a fiery visit to some of his more secret stories. His words, his voice arewhat the New York Times has called liquid lava. Unabridged.
Audio, 4 pages
Published April 6th 2001 by Audio Literature

To ask other readers questions about Midnight in the Sunken Cathedral, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Midnight in the Sunken Cathedral

Stuart
Midnight in the Sunken Cathedral: The Voice From the Edge Vol. 2: More incendiary audio performances
Originally posted at Fantasy Literature
This is the second installment in Harlan Ellison’s 5-volume THE VOICE FROM THE EDGE series. He’s a born storyteller, without question the most passionate, intense and brilliant audiobook narrator I’ve ever experienced. He captures the characters’ quirks and attitudes, and narrates with masterful pacing and tone. This is the ideal showcase for him to read his
Jim
Nov 24, 2015 Jim rated it really liked it
Another excellent collection by Ellison. It was read by him too & that was a treat. The volume was very well done (unlike the first one) & I had no trouble at all. The stories were all over the board as far as genre - there was even a western. Only a couple missed the mark. "Jeffty is Five" is an old favorite, but I don't recall any of the others. Highly recommended in this format.

Table of Contents:
In lonely lands
S.R.O.
Midnight in the Sunken CathedraL
The end of the time of Leinard
Pennies
Kat  Hooper
Aug 18, 2013 Kat Hooper rated it really liked it
Shelves: audiobook
Originally posted at FanLit.

Samuel
Oct 13, 2009 Samuel rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I've put off exposing myself to Ellison's work for years. It's always been on the wishlist. After this book, I'm rather disgruntled I've put it off so long. And, on top of it, listening to the author read his own works was an absolute pleasure. I could feel the amount of value and meaning each piece had to him...and most certainly how it was properly interpreted inside his head. I've found this most often isn't the case with other authors reading their own works.
Ellison's writing contains a mas
Fantasy Literature
Sep 26, 2013 Fantasy Literature rated it really liked it
As much as I dislike the man personally, I have to say that Harlan Ellison writes great stories. Even the stories that I don’t like — because they’re violent, gory, gross, or full of others varieties of ugliness — are good stories. And if there’s anything that Harlan Ellison does better than write great stories, it’s narrate them. He’s a superb story teller. That’s why I’ve picked up all of his Voice From The Edge recordings at Audible.com. Each is a collection of Ellison’s stories which he narr ...more
Dan Schindel
Jun 25, 2015 Dan Schindel rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Pennies Off a Dead Man's Eyes < In Lonely Lands < Midnight in the Sunken Cathedral < The End of the Time of Leinard < Soft Monkey < Go to the Light < Prince Myshkin, and Hold the Relish < S.R.O. < The Function of Dream Sleep < Jeffty is Five
Viktor
Apr 06, 2016 Viktor rated it it was amazing
He's a master. Jump in and enjoy.
Some stories are better than others, but so it goes.

It's a great listen, read by the man who lived by the short story.
Maggie
Oct 09, 2013 Maggie rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction
edgy as no one else can be, harlen ellison is a gripping story teller that needs a particular type of audience: folks who get the subtle humor in outrageous tellings and who can detect a tenderness beneath the outrageous in-your-face events. and of course it's funny stuff, only not always. almost too much to digest so best taken in small frequent doses.
Mam
May 09, 2016 Mam rated it it was amazing
The stars are for the recording of the author reading his work - I had forgotten how much I like this author.
Miss Ginny Tea
Nov 10, 2015 Miss Ginny Tea marked it as dnf_2009
Shelves: audiobooks
Oh, woe for the poor white man. Oh, his pain fills me with such empathy. But wait--nope, nevermind.

Yeah, I can endure a limited amount of the tales of the white man taming and exploiting all around him, but when I get to a woman tied to a bed being interrogated and accused of passing for white when she's the daughter of a black man… just no. NO.
Viktor Larsson
Mar 25, 2015 Viktor Larsson rated it really liked it
Read the audiobook. Ellison reads the book himself and does a wonderful job. Both his literal and figurative voice is engaging and the length of each story is well suited. I would have liked more of the stories to have a sci-fi twist, but most of the stories held a high standard. The first story was my favorite.
John-Philip
Halfway through the book I was going to give it a 3/5 but I really enjoyed some stories. "Jeffrey is 5" and others really hit it home. It's not sci-fi like Vol 1 but I still enjoyed it a lot.
Don Marchant
Jan 03, 2014 Don Marchant rated it it was amazing
I've been a fan for years. This is my first audio book with him reading. I'm even more of a fan now. His voice amplifies the great stories that I remember so well.
Jordan Maddocks
Jordan Maddocks is currently reading it
Aug 14, 2016
Kimberlie
Kimberlie marked it as to-read
Jul 26, 2016
Michael Lloyd-Billington
Michael Lloyd-Billington rated it really liked it
Jun 18, 2016
Blake
Blake rated it liked it
Apr 16, 2016
Kyle Roberts
Kyle Roberts marked it as to-read
Apr 09, 2016
Christine
Christine marked it as to-read
Mar 01, 2016
Nicholas Schoichet
Nicholas Schoichet rated it really liked it
Feb 17, 2016
Joe
Joe rated it liked it
Jan 28, 2016
Notthatkate
Notthatkate rated it it was amazing
Jan 17, 2016
Mike
Mike added it
Sep 05, 2016
Aaron
Aaron added it
Nov 06, 2015
Teresa
Teresa marked it as to-read
Sep 12, 2015
Kristine
Kristine rated it really liked it
Aug 30, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Harlan Jay Ellison is a prolific American writer of short stories, novellas, teleplays, essays, and criticism.

His literary and television work has received many awards. He wrote for the original series of both The Outer Limits and Star Trek as well as The Alfred Hitchcock Hour; edited the multiple-award-winning short story anthology series Dangerous Visions; and served as creative consultant/write
More about Harlan Ellison...