Start by marking “What Just Happened: A Chronicle from the Information Frontier” as Want to Read:
What Just Happened: A Chronicle from the Information Frontier

What Just Happened: A Chronicle from the Information Frontier

3.31 of 5 stars 3.31  ·  rating details  ·  125 ratings  ·  19 reviews
Here's some of what just happened: Millions of ordinary, sensible people came into possession of computers. These machines had wondrous powers, yet made unexpected demands on their owners. Telephones broke free of the chains that had shackled them to bedside tables and office desks. No one was out of touch, or wanted to be out of touch. Instant communication became a birth...more
Published May 7th 2002 by Pantheon (first published 2002)

To ask other readers questions about What Just Happened, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about What Just Happened

Chris Walker
If your house is anything like mine it is filled with the detritus of the last couple of decades of evolving technology. What to do with all these cables, power adapters, disks and old handhelds now? Just imagine how much of this stuff sits in landfills. If you've been along for the ride, this book will recall to you long forgotten technologies like Lotus and WordPerfect and the excitement of the transition to Word for Windows. What to do with Powerpoint? Oh well, it was part of the package. How...more
Sujeet
Santa: "Check out my latest mobile phone. Samrola MI47. I bought it yesterday."

Banta: "Oh that model is obsolete, now. Samrola has launched MI48 today morning."

Pappu: "Old news again. Samrola has declared bankruptcy 5 minutes ago and stopped the sales and support of MI series phone."

Well, this might sound little exaggerated now. But wait for few more years.

The technology and business world is changing so fast, that even now a year looks a long long time.
Most of the essays that appear in this b...more
Aidan
A collection of essays spanning 1992-2001, collected by James Gleick (or, more likely, a publisher) in 2002. The book is subtitled, "A Chronicle from the Information Frontier," because these are IN THE MOMENT analyses, hunches, and speculation on the historical progression of computing technology. This is a book, but also a time machine: a look into the future from the past; a projection of what was coming and what was still to come. Time travel, at last! Without the pesky fear of changing the c...more
Andrew Martin
apparently i went to college a full year before wi-fi existed? and smartphones were still just a fantasy? wild.

anticipates: big data, internet of things, pervasive mobile computing, mobile payments/digital money

misses: social/facebook/twitter. robotics/mass customization. the cloud/network storage.

somewhere in between: reading essays on the state of technology in '99 made me acutely aware of differential uptake across different parts of the economy. we're way ahead of where he thought we would b...more
Jonathan
It certainly doesn't present any useful new information, but it's an interesting commentary on how we got here today, how obsessed we as a society are with instant gratification from our technology, and how we need everything NOW!

If anything, it made me reflect and appreciate life a little more in the pre cellphone/text/twitter/blog/internet/next-day-air days. Not a bad thing, but not an entirely compelling read, and nothing I'd go out of my way to read again.
Leslie
In addition to being very informative, this book, ten years after its publication, is also an unintentionally humorous look at the era when the following were new: Microsoft Word, Windows 95, DSL, amazon one-click, web crawlers, gps navigation, "pocket computers," wifi, and Bluetooth. It is also fun to reminisce back to those "simpler" times.
Stephanie
this made me feel a little old, as i still remember the "old days" of the internet, when i needed a little cheat notebook of commands to navigate - it's amazing to realize how long ago that was, and to take a little trip down memory lane. I got this one from the library as i was ordering The Information, which is next on my list :)
Joshua
A really interesting an amusingly nostalgic look at how information and communication technology developed so rapidly in the 90s. It's a collection of Gleick's articles written from 1994 to 2001, at each step examining what was going on in that moment and looking forward to what may or may not be right around the corner.
Adih Respati
Gleick wrote his own IT-related experiences and overgeneralized them as shared societal behaviors (30 essays of them). His arguments are weak, and his humors aren't ticklish. His last essay, Inescapably Connected is nevertheless quite entertaining --and true.
Amber
Pretty interesting even though it's about ten years out of date. I was too young to pay attention to or understand most of the technologies that were groundbreaking then but that we take for granted now.
Lester
Great collection of essays from Gleick. He writes well (Chaos is worth a read) and this collection makes one realise just how rapidly the digital age is passing by.
Alan Fricker
Intereing to look back on these tech journalism pieces from James Gleick. Internet companies are soon gone and things soon change.
CD
Sep 29, 2012 CD added it
Another box of books being sorted, and this one goes back on the shelf!

Needs to be re-read before a rating or review.
Mark
Enjoyable trip down (recent!) memory lane. Some is remarkably dated for only ten years old...
Steve
Granted I read this book a few years late, but I thought it was horribly dated and irrelevant.
Al Menaster
Good stuff; in the 90s. Lots of interesting stuff from back then, but sadly dated today.
Doug
Gleick's a giant among science writers. Not his best work, but interesting.
Nicko Place

A time capsule now, of the dot com bubble. But a fun read.
aldo zirsov
hasil hunting Minggu 29 Maret 2009
Courtney
Courtney marked it as to-read
Oct 17, 2014
Cindy (Cid)
Cindy (Cid) marked it as to-read
Oct 15, 2014
Nicole
Nicole marked it as to-read
Oct 07, 2014
Alexa
Alexa marked it as to-read
Oct 05, 2014
Waves
Waves marked it as to-read
Oct 03, 2014
Shawna
Shawna added it
Oct 01, 2014
Uthmaan
Uthmaan marked it as to-read
Oct 12, 2014
  • The Night Is Large: Collected Essays, 1938-1995
  • Scourge: The Once and Future Threat of Smallpox
  • Right Hand, Left Hand: The Origins of Asymmetry in Brains, Bodies, Atoms and Cultures
  • From Counterculture to Cyberculture: Stewart Brand, the Whole Earth Network, and the Rise of Digital Utopianism
  • Science & Human Values
  • An Apple a Day
  • Impossibility: The Limits of Science and the Science of Limits
  • The Happiness Myth: Why What We Think Is Right Is Wrong
  • Connections
  • The Secret Life of Germs: What They Are, Why We Need Them, and How We Can Protect Ourselves Against Them
  • Creation: Life and How to Make It
  • The Calculus of Friendship: What a Teacher and a Student Learned about Life While Corresponding about Math
  • Dr Euler's Fabulous Formula: Cures Many Mathematical Ills
  • The Discoveries: Great Breakthroughs in 20th-Century Science, Including the Original Papers
  • Tycho and Kepler: The Unlikely Partnership That Forever Changed Our Understanding of the Heavens
  • Cleopatra's Nose: Essays on the Unexpected
  • Coincidences, Chaos, and All That Math Jazz: Making Light of Weighty Ideas
  • The Mathematical Universe: An Alphabetical Journey Through the Great Proofs, Problems, and Personalities
James Gleick (born August 1, 1954) is an American author, journalist, and biographer, whose books explore the cultural ramifications of science and technology. Three of these books have been Pulitzer Prize and National Book Award finalists, and they have been translated into more than twenty languages.

Born in New York City, USA, Gleick attended Harvard College, graduating in 1976 with a degree in...more
More about James Gleick...
Chaos: The Making of a New Science Genius: The Life and Science of Richard Feynman The Information: A History, a Theory, a Flood Isaac Newton Faster: The Acceleration of Just About Everything