Start by marking “The Wicked Ways of a True Hero ” as Want to Read:
The Wicked Ways of a True Hero

The Wicked Ways of a True Hero (Royce Lie Detectors #3)

3.6 of 5 stars 3.60  ·  rating details  ·  89 ratings  ·  15 reviews
THE Lies are undeniable— but the truth is harder to see...

Daniel Stamfield has become invaluable to the British Army for his ability to detect the truth from the enemy’s lies. After years of service, Daniel finally takes a respite for some wine, wenches, and wagering. Unfortunately, he didn’t bet on the lovely Miss Corisande Abbott and her unsavory reputation to swagger b...more
Published March 3rd 2009 by Signet (first published February 2nd 2009)

To ask other readers questions about The Wicked Ways of a True Hero, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Wicked Ways of a True Hero

Julie (jjmachshev)
Barbara Metzger's regencies are full of fun and humor. Her heroines need a bit of rescuing, but so do her heros--just in a different way. "The Wicked Ways of a True Hero" is the third connected novel about a family whose sons have the 'special' inherited trait of being able to, in different ways, sense lies and deceit.

Daniel has become something of a dissipated scoundrel since his release from the military. He spends his time gambling, drinking, and consorting with loose women. But he knows his...more
skein
This series is so sweet, so dear, so utterly guilelessly charming - I can't describe it. The premise (family of people who can distinguish truth from lies, through various physical signals) is deliberately lighthearted, and it matches the rest perfectly.

Daniel, here. He gets rashes when someone lies. (At one point, he pre-emptively powders his genitals to help prevent the itch.) Going out to a social event is hell, just pure hell - all those polite social falsities make him scratchy for days.

Da...more
Englishrose
As the second of this series that I have read, I must say I was still surprised that it stayed appropriate. I will admit that there is one scene, while very little happens, I wouldn't let my 14-year-old daughter read (that is, if I had one). Anyway, I would still call it clean. I would also consider it a very good book. Not quite as good and book 2 in the series, but still very enjoyable. Daniel is a wonderful reforming rake who is finally having his responsibilities thrust upon him. Corie is a...more
Leslie
The last of the truth trilogy is about Daniel who gets itchy rashes when he hears lies. Enjoyable story with true love, intrigue, and humor.
Sharyn
I loved this book. I love the whole series. The hero, Daniel, is a terrific character, who breaks out in a rash when anyone, including himself, lies. The Heroine is of course misunderstood, and his understanding of her and her situation takes a long time to work out. Meanwhile a counterfeiting ring must be stopped or England could be plunged into a financial disaster. A unique story and characters, with a satisfying ending. What more could a reader ask for?
Mary
In spite of the cheesy cover, this is a goood read. Daniel has a talent where he can tell lies. The only problem is that he breaks out in a rash or worse. His whole family has a similar gift. They must be fun at parties! He is attracted to Corie, who is upset over an incident in an earlier book. This story has humor and is fun to read. There is very little sex. Maybe there will be a sequel for his sister?
Juliem
I'm a fan of Ms Metzger's work. Her books are light and fun. This one was in the same vein, but I was bothered that the heroine disliked the hero so vehemently and for so long. Worth a read, just not my favorite.
Shelley
I loved the series. However, the heroine in this was my least favorite. While I ultimately felt sorry for her I never liked her or grasped the hero's interest in her. But I loved the hero and supporting characters.
Maggie
When a book has "wicked" in the title, usually you can expect at least a little hanky panky. Perhaps no one informed Ms. Metzger of this trend.
Cary
Book 3 was good also. I gave it one less star since I was not totally believing the hero in his change from rake to marriage material!!
Annie
I kept waiting for the truth to be revealed about the death of Corie's mother but it was never resolved.
Markn Joseph
Sep 07, 2013 Markn Joseph is currently reading it
the lies are undeniable but the truth is harder to see
NorthernLightsGirl
Oct 14, 2009 NorthernLightsGirl marked it as to-read
Shelves: borrowed
I'll have to pick this one up an another time.
Annette
A very enjoyable read.
A.
A. added it
Sep 13, 2014
Hope Szabo
Hope Szabo marked it as to-read
Aug 09, 2014
Jessie
Jessie marked it as to-read
Jul 13, 2014
Δέσποινα
Δέσποινα marked it as to-read
Jun 30, 2014
Desi Alonso
Desi Alonso marked it as to-read
Jun 16, 2014
Penny
Penny added it
Jun 04, 2014
Amy
Amy added it
May 30, 2014
Barbara Xedos
Barbara Xedos marked it as to-read
May 18, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Barbara Metzger is the author of over three dozen books and a dozen novellas. She has also been an editor, a proof-reader, a greeting card verse-writer, and an artist. When not painting, writing romances or reading them, she volunteers at the local library, gardens and goes beach-combing and yard-saling.

Her novels, mostly set in Regency-era England, have won numerous awards, including the Romance...more
More about Barbara Metzger...
Miss Lockharte's Letters (Regency Romance) The Bargain Bride Snowdrops and Scandalbroth (Regency Romance) Ace of Hearts (House of Cards #1) A Worthy Wife