Start by marking “The Art of Friendship: 70 Simple Rules for Making Meaningful Connections” as Want to Read:
The Art of Friendship: 70 Simple Rules for Making Meaningful Connections

The Art of Friendship: 70 Simple Rules for Making Meaningful Connections

The frantic pace and casual attitudes of modern life have made real friendship a rare experience. The Art of Friendship shows how making true connections can greatly enhance one's life. Seventy brief essays present simple but effective "rules of connecting" with action points to help you put each rule into practice in daily life. Woven throughout are personal anecdotes fro ...more
Published October 17th 2006 by St. Martin's Press

To ask other readers questions about The Art of Friendship, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Art of Friendship

Kyle Kerns
Jan 08, 2012 Kyle Kerns rated it really liked it
Shelves: own, 2006
Not a particularly deep read, this book did provide many ideas that if put in place would help me develop new friendships and maintain those older friendships that I hold so dear. Several of the "rules" seemed redundant, but I decided to list some of my favorites (ones I think I do well and want to continue as well as ones I need to implement) as a reminder to myself. *24. Minimize Small Talk (make conversations deeper). *33. Travel (travel afar with someone near, travel with old friends, talk t ...more
Debra
Sep 11, 2011 Debra rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
A bit tedious at parts, especially when the senior Horchow is speaking.

what I really wanted to know was how to pursue deeper freindships. i seem stuck in a shallow mode. There were some good suggestions, but it the constant name dropping was a bit off-putting.
Rebecca
May 30, 2014 Rebecca rated it it was ok
Shelves: non-fiction
This was a collection of 1 to 2 page essays telling you what to do to make friends. I'm the type of person who needs the "how" with diagrams and charts and step-by-step instructions, so it wasn't very useful for me.
Aaron
Apr 29, 2015 Aaron rated it liked it
Not bad for what it markets itself as being; a book about 70 basic rules for maintaining and forming friendships. Good if you're a total hermit looking to make a turnaround but if that isn't you then you may learn a couple new things and perspectives, but nothing too specific either.

So, some things to consider, and the brevity of the delivery made it easy to swallow. But something more specific may be needed if you want more or are more perplexed about this whole deal.
Jan
Mar 27, 2008 Jan rated it liked it
Nothing profound - but very good to be reminded of taking time to do little things.

A great anecdote:

“My friend Dick Bass (now in his 70s) has travelled far and wide and had many adventures. His achievements include being the first person to climb the highest peak on each of the seven continents, as well as being the oldest person (by five years) to climb Mount Everest (at the age of 55.) He once told me a story of a plane ride, on which he sat next to a nice man who listened to him go on about
Maggie
Dec 06, 2015 Maggie rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction, on-life
a simple yet helpful book -- sometimes a timely reminder, sometimes a reinforcer of what i already do, and sometimes a good and new perspective on the care and feeding of friendships ... always happy to learn new ways of being close to people as well as how to interact, smoothly, with new acquaintances
Elizabeth
Oct 28, 2011 Elizabeth marked it as to-read
William
Sep 24, 2011 William rated it liked it
A nice little reminder of what a friend is and how we can push to become better in our relationships. I have always had issues with putting my self out on the line to find new friends. This book gave me a little more confidence to push myself to talk to that person I have never met before. I was frustrated with several of the tips that just seemed to be reiterations of tips that had already been given. Even though it says there are 70 tips it is really more like 35.
Kim
Oct 05, 2008 Kim rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Mostly common sense but still useful information. The audiobook version is a little cheesy (some of the goofy jokes are made even goofier by the overly-stylized narrator, who at one point breaks into singsong for a quote from "South Pacific") and Roger's voice can be a little grating at times. But despite that, I'm definitely grateful for having listened to it and I'm sure the lessons will come in handy.
Mary
Nov 04, 2010 Mary rated it it was ok
It was ok but I am not an especially social sort of person so although the suggestions are good, I can't see myself making a lot of changes. I listened to it on CD and it was interspersed with readings and quotes read by Mr Horchow himself that made me want to turn off the recording. He is not a good reader.
Katherine
Dec 11, 2008 Katherine rated it it was amazing
A good source for new ideas and good reminders in a non-stressful method of presentation. Light to transport (I often stuck it in my pocket when I was going out somewhere and wanted something to read on the way) and a good one to leaf through here and there.
Karen
Feb 13, 2012 Karen rated it liked it
While references to things like Friendster and Palm Pilot may make this 2005 book seem dated, there are still many worthwhile tips for making friends and having more meaningful interactions with the people you already know.
Susy Flory
Aug 23, 2011 Susy Flory rated it it was amazing
I adore this book. It's like sitting down to a perfectly made cup of hot chocolate with a wise and wonderful friend who knows the secrets of friendship and will gladly share them.
Patti
Jan 24, 2011 Patti rated it really liked it
I am blessed with many friends. This was a nice little book to remind me what to look for in new friends, and how (& when) to keep the old.

Joelle Pagnozzi
May 12, 2013 Joelle Pagnozzi rated it really liked it
Great little stories and advice. Even if you feel that you do not need advice on friendship, its helpful and it can only make you a better friend.
Shawna
Jan 30, 2009 Shawna rated it really liked it
I like how they sort of define, speak about friendship. Plus the authors shares personal stories and suggested practices.
Max Mcguire
Jul 17, 2009 Max Mcguire rated it really liked it
Mostly obvious, but still important. Friendships take effort; don't sit back and expect deep connections to happen automatically.
Jason
Mar 12, 2012 Jason rated it it was ok
Shelves: self-help
Cute anecdotal read with a couple of stories that did stick with me. Reads like a "Chicken Soup for the Soul."
Charles
May 26, 2012 Charles rated it really liked it
This is a nice light book that provides an amusing way to update or reinforce one's social skills.
Diana
Dec 30, 2010 Diana rated it really liked it
Lots of good ideas to build and strengthen friendships.
BLACK CAT
Aug 08, 2013 BLACK CAT rated it liked it
Good common sense rules. Practical actionable book.
Samantha
Sep 24, 2012 Samantha rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction

A good reminder of ways to make and keep friends.
Anh Quan
Jan 11, 2011 Anh Quan rated it it was amazing
Shelves: english
Very interesting!
yiming
yiming is currently reading it
Sep 23, 2016
Aly
Aly rated it really liked it
Sep 18, 2016
Mary Hall-Williams
Mary Hall-Williams marked it as to-read
Sep 10, 2016
Ashley
Ashley marked it as to-read
Aug 28, 2016
Julie
Julie marked it as to-read
Aug 25, 2016
BookDB
BookDB marked it as to-read
Aug 25, 2016
Kim
Kim marked it as to-read
Aug 20, 2016
  • Inventing the Rest of Our Lives: Women in Second Adulthood
  • Quirkyalone: A Manifesto for Uncompromising Romantics
  • Grown-Up Girlfriends: Finding and Keeping Real Friends in the Real World
  • Cool in Tucson (Sarah Burke, #1)
  • Making Marriage Work
  • Moyers on America: A Journalist and His Times
  • Learning to Love Yourself: Finding Your Self Worth
  • Shit Happens So Get Over It
  • Simply Irresistible: Unleash Your Inner Siren and Mesmerize Any Man, with Help from the Most Famous - and Infamous - Women in History
  • Lit From Within: Tending Your Soul For Lifelong Beauty
  • Why Life Speeds Up as You Get Older: How Memory Shapes Our Past
  • It's a Guy Thing: A Owner's Manual for Women
  • The Art of Mingling: Fun and Proven Techniques for Mastering Any Room
  • Act Accordingly
  • When Friendship Hurts: How to Deal with Friends Who Betray, Abandon, or Wound You
  • The Hour That Matters Most: The Surprising Power of the Family Meal