Start by marking “Mr Golightly's Holiday” as Want to Read:
Mr Golightly's Holiday

Mr Golightly's Holiday

3.57 of 5 stars 3.57  ·  rating details  ·  630 ratings  ·  81 reviews
Many years ago, Mr. Golightly wrote a work of dramatic fiction that grew to be an astonishing international bestseller. But his reputation is on the decline and he finds himself badly out of touch with the modern world. He decides to take a holiday and comes to the historic village of Great Calne, hoping to use the opportunity to bring his great work up to date. But he soo ...more
Published January 1st 2005 by Picador (first published January 1st 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Mr Golightly's Holiday, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mr Golightly's Holiday

Richard Reviles Censorship Always in All Ways
Rating: 3.5* of five

I fell in love with Salley Vickers when I read "Miss Garnet's Angel" ten or so years ago. It's set in Venice, a city I simply adore. It's a beautifully imagined moment in a solitary person's life, one where limitless possibilities open up inside her.

Then came "Instances of the Number 3", a very very odd book that captivated me despite my discomfort with the subject of a widow's growing fascination with her husband's transsexual mistress. These are books of courage and beauty.
Kathryn
Aug 21, 2007 Kathryn rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone
I read this on my own holiday - but this doesn't make it in any way a trashy holiday read. Sally Vickers writes quite beautifully, with engaging characters, subtleties of plot and a central conceit that doesn't emerge till you're nearly through (my English Lit undergrad daughter didn't "get" it till it was absolutely spelled out) that I found deeply satisfying. Big questions presented so accessibly you barely notice you're being asked to consider them.
I was enchanted - don't want to return it to
Carinya Kappler
Book Review by Carinya
Mr Golightly's Holiday by Salley Vickers
What a surprise this book is. I read it, enjoying every page of descriptive, sometimes poetic prose tinged with typically English irony. Then I read certain chapters again to gauge the extent to which I was willing to unpeal the layers of parable so cleverly interwoven in the village gossip and local adventure.
I loved this author's way with words, her summation of the more serious subjects confronting ordinary people and her adept en
LindyLouMac

I just cannot get into this!! It is very unusual for me to give up but five chapters is enough to tell me that I just cannot read anymore. If I had read the Amazon reviews properly before starting, maybe I would never have done so? Reading what Amazon has to say, along with my own efforts to try, I have learnt that this is not really a novel but a Fable. Amazon says and I quote that 'One needs a high tolerance of Anglican whimsy to enjoy this'
I just do no
bookczuk
What I liked about this book was the Englishness of it -- the characters and scenes that inhabit so many small towns. I've seen places like this when I lived in England, but that was (mumble-mumble) years ago, in another century, another world. You catch glimpses in Agatha Christie stories or even MC Beaton's books. That was the bit of the book which enchanted me. The actual story-line itself, and many of the characters, didn't grab me quite as much.

I do have to admit it took me a while to pick
Miette
A gentle book which I loved from the beginning. I don't generally reread books but this is written so beautifully and of course having knowledge of the ending will put everything in a different light. I didn't really think the long conversation at the end was necessary but maybe on a second reading I'll have different insights and opinions.
Alina Trigger
A bit too twee for my liking. I got the impression the author could not decide on whether this was to be a philosophical/ religous or just a bit of whimsy.
Pat
It took me while to realise that Mr Golightly was in fact God taking a holiday and as I'm not a religious person, some of it was probably over my head.
Margaret
When I read the reviews, and the authors of those reviews, on tne inside pages of this book, I thought I was in for an unmissable treat. But I must have missed the point somewhere along the line. I found the characterisation of an English village and its life, and the characters themselves interesting but something of a caricature. The religious theme, which emerged as the novel progressed, remained a puzzling one for me, despite having been raised solidly CofE (lapsed now). I didn't exactly plo ...more
trishtrash
There are two pages of review quotes at the beginning of my paperback copy of this book, and several on the back cover, and I can’t help feeling that each of the contributors has found something within that I missed. While readable, Mr. Golightly’s Holiday was nowhere near as strong, thoughtful, or beautifully written as Miss Garnet’s Angel, which had a deft, light touch to the sadness and vivid, un-stereotyped characters.

The premise of this one feels like a Reader’s Digest magazine story; a bit
Simon Mcleish
Originally published on my blog here in November 2004.

There have been many novels written about the way in which the settled life of a British village can be transformed by the introduction of new ideas by cosmopolitan visitors. It might be thought that the advent of modern communications and media, particularly the TV soap opera, would have made this an obsolete concept, one that would be restricted to literature with a historical setting, but Mr Golightly's Holiday demonstrates that a successf
Glimmerfee
Nach so vielen Jahren will Gott in Gestalt von Mr. Golightly seine Bibel überarbeiten und moderner gestalten. Ein verschlafenes Dorf in England scheint genau das richtige Plätzchen für diese Aufgabe zu sein…

Ein atmosphärischer Roman mit vielen schönen Momenten. Gott reist stilsicher in einem alten Morris an, im Gepäck sein etwas angestaubter Bestseller, eine Kiste Wein und ein Laptop. In diesem beschaulichen Dorf sollte es doch einfach sein, die Seele baumeln zu lassen und sich in aller Ruhe der
Kathleen Dixon
What a nice book!

Mr Golightly, who once wrote a book that caused an amazing industry to arise based on it, decides to take time out to go on holiday for a while and rewrite the book in a more modern manner. So he hires a cottage (one that very few tenants have lasted in for long, due to its rather decrepit state and ghastly colour schemes) and begins to be distracted by the people.

This book has wonderful descriptions - of the places, the animal life, and the people. There's an unfolding of plot
Gillian
The twist in the tale is the true identity of Mr Golightly and his purpose for visiting Great Calne in Devon. The clues are really quite obvious, and more so the second time I read it which I was compelled to do after so enjoying it as a new release. It is such a warm book to read with a very English 'chocolate box' feel to it,complete with the local 'stag+badger pub' serving no doubt Greene King IPA. The characters are portrayed as slightly stereotypical eccentric English folk in a picturesque ...more
Mary  Mendoza
Another book that had me bamboozled until the last few pages, Mr. Golightly’s Holiday by Salley Vickers, is a novel about a nondescript middle-aged writer who takes a “holiday” in a small English village, ostensibly to work on a re-write of a blockbuster he wrote years before. The clues to his real identity are evident early on but I, of course, was clueless. Shan’t give it away suffice to say I didn’t find Mr. Golightly “profound” or “meaningful” (no comparison to superior works by Dani Shapiro ...more
Cecily
Fable with an old-fashioned feel (like Mr Golightly), though set in the present. Effective evocation of village life and characters, though inevitably there is a higher than average proportion of "interesting" characters.

Some of the metaphors are trying too hard; it was described by one reviewer as like reading pot-pourri. Rather crass in places, eg the main character's name, the way it refers to The Catastrophe at regular intervals (as if to built up suspense, lest you hadn't noticed there wer
Belinda
At the end of 6 chapters esteemed author Sally Vickers is still setting the scene. While the setting and subject matter are only mildly interesting so far, the author seems to be compensating a bit with an overactive vocabulary. In most cases I don't mind a little ostentatious display, however here I am just finding myself waiting for the story to back up such 'verbage'. Bring it on.....I'll keep reading....
...
Well, here I am just shy of the center of the book, and while the story has finally pi
It's a well-known fact in my house that you can tell how I feel about a book by the length of time it takes me to read... this book took 11 days, 6 days more than it took me to read all 1037 pages of Gone With the Wind.

This book is really difficult to get into, really slow moving and not very interesting.

I think the only redeeming factor is the final chapter - when you get to that bit and you realise the point of the book, there is an added layer of interest when you think about all the clues t
Judith
This is one of those books when you just wish it didn't have to end.

Though it is not a book of action, excitement and cliffhangers, the simple lives of English villagers and that of the mystery guest to their town, manages to be a compelling and thoroughly enjoyable read. The characters are written well and you can't help but warm to them as you find yourself absorbed in their lives. The story moves towards a twist at the end which, if you didn't pick up on it, makes you view the book in a diffe
Jody Nightbow
I enjoyed this a lot. It has the slow, intimate pace I expect and enjoy from Salley Vickers. MISS GARNET'S AMGEL remains my favorite of her novels, but this one is definitely worth a read and I think a re- read in time.
Mark
You may love this book and although I liked the characters and story it wasn't really for me. Though that wouldn't put me off recommending it as an OK book, just a matter of my taste I think.
Inger
A twist and a plot I never expected in a million years! After the surprising ending I had to read it again straight away :)
Amanda
Would have been a better read if it didn't try and to be so clever. Very uneven. Well written in parts but the reveal left me cold.
Sue
Not my kind of book I'm afraid. There was however a description of loss that I thought incisive.
Grey853
Jenny Macdonald
This is the third of Sally Vickers books I have read and, as the other two she writes beautifully about relationships and how people deal with difficult situations. This book is set in a small village in Dartmoor and her characters are brilliantly described. Mr Golightly is on holiday in a rented cottage. He has written a best seller at one time and thinks he would like update it. However, the events in the village and his sad past (the death of his son) conspire to prevent it. As always with Ms ...more
Tinya
Feb 08, 2014 Tinya added it
Shelves: fiction
Not convinced by this book - something deep going on but not sure it worked.
Beryl
I have read 2 books by Salley Vickers; I love her characters
Nikki Magennis
A very English kind of book. Cute conceit and some lovely, lyrical descriptive passages. The soap-operatic story didn't quite gel for me, though. I was a bit confused and reading the afterword see that the author notes there are references to various texts throughout - I think maybe the references (which went over my head, me being fairly canon-illiterate) screwed up the story. I wished that a couple of the characters had been more developed/had bigger roles and that some had been more subtly dr ...more
  • In The Place of Fallen Leaves
  • Happenstance: Two Novels in One About a Marriage in Transition
  • Queen Camilla
  • The Service of Clouds
  • Rumours Of Rain
Salley Vickers was born in Liverpool, the home of her mother, and grew up as the child of parents in the British Communist Party. She won a state scholarship to St Paul’s Girl’s School and went on to read English at Newnham College Cambridge.

She has worked, variously, as a cleaner, a dancer, an artist’s model, a teacher of children with special needs, a university teacher of literature, and a psy
More about Salley Vickers...
Miss Garnet's Angel The Cleaner of Chartres The Other Side of You Instances of the Number 3 Where Three Roads Meet: The Myth of Oedipus (Canongate Myths)