Start by marking “The Ultimate Life” as Want to Read:
The Ultimate Life

The Ultimate Life (The Ultimate Gift #2)

3.93 of 5 stars 3.93  ·  rating details  ·  552 ratings  ·  80 reviews
A profound follow-up to the bestselling book and major motion picture, The Ultimate Gift. When Jason Stevens found out he had to jump through hoops to maybe get an unnamed inheritance from his billionaire grandfather, he was not amused. By the time he'd finished learning the lessons he'd become a different man. Ready to tackle the duties of running a multi-billion dollar t ...more
Published September 1st 2007 by David C. Cook

To ask other readers questions about The Ultimate Life, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Ultimate Life

Alvi Harahap
You have to read the Ultimate Gift to really absorb the impact of this book as it is the sequel. There is a true foundation to this book and a lot to be learned about yourself and others.

This book really makes you appreciate what is important in life. Sometimes we get so caught up in the day-to-day stuff we forget. This puts it back in perspective without the religious tilt so often seen. It's a great book to read over and over.
Keshia
Good life lessons. Interesting ways of implementing and teaching them. I'm not particularly inspired however. Like other reviewers have said, it was the way it was presented and written. Like a report card, rather than living the experience. But I did like that it was a quick and easy read.

I read 'The ultimate gift' a couple years ago, and this one's been sitting on my nightstand for almost as long. I finally got around to reading it simply because there's not much else i can do with a sick 2-y
Alan Bates
The Ultimate Life by Jim Stovall is a novel about living, getting, and giving back. It is about a crusty old oilman named Red Stevens. Red is a multigazillionaire who has died and in his will he left the just a few gazillions to his greedy heirs and the bulk of his estate to a grandson, Jason Stevens. However Jason has to show that he has learned about the gifts of life and further demonstrate that that he knows how to teach others about the gifts

Well, old Red's other heirs wanted all the gazill
Brian Wilson
Ehhhhhh....That is really what I thought about this book. It was ok, but not by a long shot something that I would ever want to read again or for that matter, recommend to anyone. I had seen the movie, "The Ultimate Gift" and this book is the sequel to it. The thing is though, if you saw the movie or read the first book, then there is literally no reason whatsoever to read this, because all it does is rehash the entire story. All this book is about, is the court case deciding whether or not the ...more
Gayle
I'm having a hard time with the review of this book. While I think it has some wonderful "life lessons" in it, I didn't love the writing style. I felt like the writing was very repetitive and formulaic. I read "The ULtimate Gift" a few years ago and afterward saw the movie, which I enjoyed much more than the book. Reading this second book made me realize the main reason why -- in the movie, you experience the challenges through the perspective of Jason, while the books are written from the viewp ...more
Alison
If you are looking for a quick and easy read with great and universal messages then this is the book for you! I liked it but found some parts a little too simplistic but that might have been the author's point? Still I would recommend the book.
Cindy
There is not much in this book that is not in the first - The Ultimate Gift. It is a rehash of the first one. The premise is that the relatives of Jason have banded together and are now bringing suit that he should not have control of the trust that was earned in the first book. They have retained the law firm of Dudly, Cheatham, and Leech - can we be more obvious?! And if they lose, they lose their inheritance as well as control of the trust. The ending is no surprise. This book was pretty much ...more
Rebel Robertson
This is the second book of the series. Both have been such uplifting and happy books. I would highly recommend them.
Catherine  Mustread
A rehash of The Ultimate Gift with a few more details thrown in as the relatives of the young man, who got control of the largest share of the inheritance, dispute the will and hire a high-powered lawyer to get their "rightful inheritance." Not necessary to read both books unless a longer period of time between the readings.

Still a great summary of what is truly important in life and recommended for anyone who needs an inspiration or boost.
Stacey
Not as good as the first, but still good.
Michelle
Feb 22, 2009 Michelle rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: all
Recommended to Michelle by: Katy
I checked this out and then realized that it is a sequel to "The Ultimate Gift". So - I went back to the library and got "The Ultimate Gift" to read first. I loved them both. Once I read "The Ultimate Gift" - "The Ultimate Life" has a LOT of identical (word for word) repeats ... so ...

Both books are very motivating and made me want to try to be a better person. I vaguely remember the movie "The Ultimate Gift" - and I'm planning on watching again soon.

Thanks for the recommend, Katy! I highly reco
Sara Smith
I didn't like this new book as well as The Ultimate Gift because most of this book is a review of the first book. The judge was likeable. It seemed a bit too concise and didn't pull me in like the first book.
Rae
This is really just a rehashed sequel to The Ultimate Gift which, although somewhat sappy in its own right, is much more effective and really worth the short time it takes to read. In this novel, the family gets together to contest the grandson's portion of the estate and he must prove to the court that he deserves the money.

In this life, the most average day can take an extraordinary turn; therefore, each day should be anticipated and savored as a gift.
Tabatha
I really liked the Ultimate Gift. But I didn't need to read it twice. This book was a repeat. Maybe I should have spaced them out a little. I thought the author tried lining the story up with the movie and in the process added and changed details that didn't flow with the first book. The Ultimate Gift you read and feel like you've learned something. The Ultimate Life you feel like the author is tring to chase the success of the Ultimate Gift.
Miriam
I really wanted to like this book at least a little, because I think the author's purpose is a good one, but I really just finished it because I wanted to see how silly it would get. Not only does it repeat a lot of the previous book, but it retcons the events of the first book to match up with the changes made in the movie script. I really felt like this book was only published to make money; good thing I only paid $0.99 for it.
Ben
One of the best books out there.

This was a very good book. It really teaches you how we should live or life's. This is the second book in the series. The first book is called the ultimate gift. They also made a movie from the first book. I would recommend watching that movie and reading this book. I believe you might have a different outlook on life.
Alice
3 and 1/2 stars. This book basically recaps The Ultimate Gift. It is a good review written similarly, but there are some details that change between the books that make sense if you have seen the movie version of The Ultimate gift which I did between the books. They both have a great message, but the books don't have a lot of depth in the story itself.
Wayne
Having just read The Ultimate Gift, this book was a dissapointment. As suggested by other reviews, it is just a reapeat of the first book with a tweak here and there. As much as I wanted to enjoy this book because I'm a Stovall fan, I did not. I hope The Ultimate Journey will revive the passion ignited by The Ultimate Gift.
Robyn
This book is a quick read but repetitive of the first book--in fact much of the first book is repeated in this one. I grew tired of the formula after a while; still there are good life lesson reminders in this book. I should have waited longer in between books; then I might have enjoyed this one more--or not.
Aruna Kumar Gadepalli
Those who enjoyed reading - "The Ultimate Gift (The Ultimate Series #1)" will like this as well. Only difference in this story is after the death of grandfather, whose will is challenged in the court starts the story. Its mix of self help woven in the fiction style. Easy and quick read.
Nicole
Pretty much a repeat of the first book in a different setting. I'd say a good quarter of the book is repeated passages from the last book. If you were reading this book without having read The Ultimate Gift you would be better off. Same Story, different setting. Dissappointing.
Gloria
You should read The Ultimate Gift to truly understand this book. I love the reminders and lessons for us to use in our lives. I especially take to heart in Chapter 12, "It is in the worse times that we should (can) be most thankful. " this is so true... Think about it.
Archana
this is learning. reading this book is a learning. full of ideas for those who love working for society. but to really get the kick of this book, you need to read the first one... the ultimate gift..
this book changes your vision of the way you see the world.
Lisa
This book is the sequel to The Ultimate Gift and, like the first book, it is a feel good book. However it is a bit repetitive as it has excerpts that are taken directly from the first book.- I found myself skipping over those chunks. A really fast read.
Becky
Another good book. Quick read, but great life lessons. I just bought this book so the rest of my family could read it. It's basically a continuation of the first book. I don't especially like the writer's style of writing, but I stilled liked the story.
Cathy
This book, although all good lessons and charachteristics for a good life, was boring. I skimmed the last few gifts. After reading the first one, this one was a real let down. It just basically rehashed the first one, in the setting of a courtroom.
Cydney
I found this book around five years ago for my husband to read to his class. Since then this book has journeyed through many classes and families. I currently just reread it for a book club that I am hosting at my home this month.
Katherine
What a great book! I love the message that it sends. It can be a bit repeptetive, but the over-all message is clear. I think that I will go back and read the first book (The Ultimate Gift). I only watched the movie. Very inspiring!
Nura Yusof
The author repeated a lot of what was in the first book, in this book. If he didn't, this book would have been really thin.

A fast read, a nice story. The author had good intentions but he's not that good a fiction writer.
Jill
Nov 06, 2008 Jill rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: yes
This book is a continuation of The Ultimate Gift. Both books remind you to think about what you really value in life and how you personally can contribute to the world around you.... I am enjoying my time reading this book.
  • Voyage of a Viking
  • Leadership and Liberty
  • Toughen Up!
  • The Coming Aristocracy
  • Sky Blue
  • The Serving Leader: Five Powerful Actions That Will Transform Your Team, Your Business, and Your Community
  • Twelve Pillars
  • Aspire: Discovering Your Purpose Through the Power of Words
  • The No Complaining Rule: Positive Ways to Deal with Negativity at Work
  • The Memory Quilt: A Christmas Story for Our Times
  • The Compassionate Samurai: Being Extraordinary in an Ordinary World
  • The Ant and the Elephant: Leadership for the Self: A Parable and 5-Step Action Plan to Transform Workplace Performance
  • LeaderShift: A Call for Americans to Finally Stand Up and Lead
  • An Enemy Called Average
  • 8 Attributes of Great Achievers
  • Whale Done!: The Power of Positive Relationships
Jim Stovall has been a national champion Olympic weightlifter, the President of the Emmy Award-winning Narrative Television Network, and a highly sought after author and platform speaker. He is the author of the best selling book, The Ultimate Gift, which is a major motion picture starring James Garner and Abigail Breslin. He is also author of The Ultimate Life and The Ultimate Journey, which have ...more
More about Jim Stovall...

The Ultimate Gift (5 books)
  • The Ultimate Gift
  • The Ultimate Journey: A Novel
  • The Ultimate Gift and the Ultimate Life
  • The Gift of a Legacy
The Ultimate Gift The Ultimate Journey: A Novel The Lamp A Christmas Snow The King's Legacy: A Story of Wisdom for the Ages