Start by marking “The Circle of Innovation: You Can't Shrink Your Way to Greatness” as Want to Read:
The Circle of Innovation: You Can't Shrink Your Way to Greatness

The Circle of Innovation: You Can't Shrink Your Way to Greatness

3.84  ·  Rating Details  ·  274 Ratings  ·  22 Reviews
Tom Peters--brilliant, original, and perhaps the most inspiring and listened-to business thinker of our time--has a lot on his mind these days. And he wants to share it in The Circle of Innovation.

The world of business is in a permanent state of flux, he argues, a state of chaos in which constant innovation is the only survival strategy--for the individual and for the orga
Published November 4th 1997 by Knopf

To ask other readers questions about The Circle of Innovation, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Circle of Innovation

Francis Fish
Jan 15, 2011 Francis Fish rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Had this book on tape and listened to it many times back in the early noughties. I was writing a blog post about "The Agile Heart" (http://goo.gl/aBCae) and quoted from it, so I got a second-hand copy from Amazon to verify the quote, my tape player having gone the way of all flesh a while ago. Still need to change the quote, but there you go.

Thing is, even now, nearly 15 years after it was first published, it's a gem. The style is designed to look like his presentations, with a slide-like set of
Brooks
Nov 08, 2009 Brooks rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Not great...maybe because this is older and so many more recent books have covered the same material...Some gems...
"It is easier to kill an organization that to change it"
You don't leap a chasim in bound - avoid incemental improvements.
Promote fast prototyping - Forget professional, Provoke.
Any on-going responsiblities or work try to convert to a project with milestones and budget. Don't accept on-going drudgery.
Jim Razinha
Sep 28, 2011 Jim Razinha rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: recommended
I'm not a fan of management gurus or stream of consciousness writing and yet I liked this book. For whatever reason, Tom Peters has resonated with me since I first saw his In Search of Excellence tape in 1992. What he has to say makes great sense and his message gets better over time. The Circle of Innovation is a blend of quotes, thoughts, and exclamation points all in Peters's enthusiastic, staccato style. It's like I'm reading Emeril. Bam!

Peters spews page after page (do note that this is an
DS Hendler
Sep 02, 2010 DS Hendler rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: business
"15 truths = 1 big truth."

I get the luxury of reading this book 10 years after it came out. It's difficult from this side of history to tell if he helped cause certain things or was just describing them. For instance, the "white collar revolution", which he sees as a wonderful thing. Turns out to be a lot of job-insecurity, paranoia, and back-stabbing.

His joy at the emergence of the 20-somethings leading silicon valley and parts elsewhere, people eagerly "forgetting" instead of "learning", help
Jim Dooley
Jul 10, 2013 Jim Dooley rated it really liked it
I was fortunate to be in the seminar audience the day that Tom Peters said he was unveiling his CIRCLE OF INNOVATION. It caused quite a stir that day.

One fellow told me that Tom Peters was essentially collecting the work of others in this book, but I pointed out the copyright date. If you've heard most if this before, I'd hazard a guess that it was from others who jumped on the Tom Peters bandwagon.

I find the writer's work to always be provocative, although he did upset some folks this time with
Nicholas
Jun 14, 2014 Nicholas rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This book was hard to digest, it's like the author was on speed while menacingly jotting words down. Its several years old now and very outmoded, you could skim through for some gold nuggets but they are sparse
D1P3N
Jun 07, 2016 D1P3N rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Must read for the people who are looking for leadership and management lessons.
Ramnath
Nov 04, 2015 Ramnath rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
crazy but interesting read. challenges the status quo
Richard Stephenson
This was not only extremely fun (though his style and format took some time... like 30 pages... to get used to) it was terribly inspiring! I love thi...moreThis was not only extremely fun (though his style and format took some time... like 30 pages... to get used to) it was terribly inspiring! I love this out-of-the-box stuff that just seems to make so much sense. It may be over a decade old now, but I'm glad I ran across this one.
Abhilash
Sep 06, 2013 Abhilash rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Tom Peters’ THE CIRLCE OF INNOVATION is that stuff written, my apologies, presented by Tom in a way different from the traditional style of book. Pages depicting slides of a presentation and words that are in parentheses representing Tom’s heart. The Circle has to be in a hatke style because it is about innovation after all. Hats off Tom you made an impact.
Jim
Apr 12, 2010 Jim rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
I was a charter member of the Tom Peters fan club during my "business" days. Unfortunately I never had the chance to work for an organization that glommed on to his ideas. Still, watching his seminars is always inspiring and fun, and his books, for the most part, are quenching sips at the business revolution kool-aid.
David Hooper
Apr 02, 2010 David Hooper rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a good "big idea" book. I would recommend it for entrepreneurs and inventors as they're the ones who will get it best. It's a quick read that shouldn't take you more than an evening to get through.

If you're a fan of Seth Godin's material, you'll like this one.
Peachesxyz
Jul 30, 2011 Peachesxyz rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
probably the best i have read as far as innovation or survival in business guidlines go..read this and the purple cow and you are off to point of no return ..he he he loving it ..:-)
Lori Grant
Mar 29, 2013 Lori Grant rated it liked it
An optional-read book on innovation for knowledge workers and entrepreneurs.
Teri Temme
Jul 20, 2013 Teri Temme rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fantastic. Thought provoking. Most excellent read. Read it. Today.
Abdulaziz Al-ghamdi
Another must-read! Fantastic, insightful, brilliant & rich..
Rickey
Feb 08, 2011 Rickey rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
From The Ten Must-Read Books in Love Is the Killer App
Nadiah
Jul 25, 2009 Nadiah rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction, 2009
A book that give you ideas on how to run your business.
Rushikesh
inspirational book by tom Peters
Nathan
Aug 09, 2007 Nathan rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Kind of weak. Yay positive energy!
Deric Loh
Jul 04, 2007 Deric Loh rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone and Everyone
Shelves: tompeters
Innovation Matters !!
Jared
Jared marked it as to-read
Jun 29, 2016
Paul Mccabe
Paul Mccabe is currently reading it
Jun 29, 2016
Andrea
Andrea marked it as to-read
Jun 22, 2016
Kiri
Kiri marked it as to-read
Jun 21, 2016
Zachary
Zachary marked it as to-read
Jun 19, 2016
Sameer Sawant
Sameer Sawant marked it as to-read
Jun 19, 2016
Kate
Kate marked it as to-read
Jun 14, 2016
Spage
Spage marked it as to-read
Jun 12, 2016
  • Managing in a Time of Great Change
  • Intellectual Capital: The new wealth of organization
  • Weird Ideas That Work: How to Build a Creative Company
  • Leading the Revolution
  • Blur: The Speed Of Change In The Connected Economy
  • The Heart of Change Field Guide: Tools And Tactics for Leading Change in Your Organization
  • Dangerous Company: The Consulting Powerhouses and the Businesses They Save and Ruin
  • The Profit Zone: How Strategic Business Design Will Lead You to Tomorrow's Profits
  • A Fine Line: How Design Strategies Are Shaping the Future of Business
  • Crazy Bosses: Fully Revised and Updated
  • العقل القوي
  • The Dance of Change: The challenges to sustaining momentum in a learning organization
  • Alexander The Great's Art Of Strategy
  • Rules For Revolutionaries: The Capitalist Manifesto for Creating and Marketing New Products and Services
  • The Age of Unreason
  • Nuts!
  • The Rise and Fall of Strategic Planning: Reconceiving Roles for Planning, Plans and Planners
  • Riding the Waves of Culture: Understanding Diversity in Global Business
3119590
Born in Baltimore in 1942 "with a lacrosse stick in one hand and oars over my shoulder," Peters resided in California, mainly Silicon Valley (where he was on a list of "100 most powerful people in Silicon Valley"), from 1965–2000. Today, Peters and his wife Susan Sargent live on a 1,600-acre working farm, "always under construction," in Vermont. His two stepsons, Max and Ben Cooper, are "busy chan ...more
More about Tom Peters...