Start by marking “Cosmic Trigger 2: Down to Earth” as Want to Read:
Cosmic Trigger 2: Down to Earth

Cosmic Trigger 2: Down to Earth (Cosmic Trigger #2)

4.1  ·  Rating Details ·  1,319 Ratings  ·  34 Reviews
While this, the second volume of the Cosmic Trigger trilogy, continues along the path set by the original Cosmic Trigger I: Final Secret of the Illuminati, it also stands solidly on its own. Any reader with an open mind and a sense of humor cannot help but be entertained and enlightened while following Wilson's explorations into such subjects as the future of cyberspace; t ...more
Published October 1st 1991 by New Falcon Publications (first published 1991)

Chris
Mar 30, 2008 Chris rated it really liked it
I read the first Cosmic Trigger a bit over a decade ago, and was wary of reading the second part, which RAW wrote in the late 80s. The narrative is largely autobiographical (like the first Cosmic Trigger) but the chronology is spliced up, i.e., one chapter is from 1955, the next from 1989, the next from 1967, etc. RAW does this to perhaps emphasis the multiplicity of possibly views and to reposition events and ideas for the weird synergy that re-contextualization brings. This method was probably ...more
David
Dec 09, 2008 David rated it it was amazing
Cosmic Trigger II: Down to Earth is the second book in the Cosmic Trigger trilogy, an autobiographical and philosophical work by Robert Anton Wilson. The book is broken down into ninety-four short chapters that focus on conspiracies, a cultural history of the Irish, the potential future in cyberspace, political injustices, his upbringing in the Catholic Church and more. The main themes of the book are presented in a nonlinear fashion; most of the chapters do not lead directly into each other.

Uns
Jason
Jul 15, 2009 Jason rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Heads, SubGenii, those in search of light
Recommended to Jason by: Various synchronicities
Reading the Comic Trigger books is like listening to one of Bob's hilarious talks.

In this, volume 2, he lays down his rules for dealing with BS (i.e., Belief Systems, dogmas, absolute truths, etc.), which are (1) never believe totally in someone else's BS and (2) never believe totally in your own BS.

Bob spikes his observations on a mysterious suicide named Roberto Calvi and musings on a murdered baby in County Kerry, Ireland, with vignettes from his early life in Depression-era Brooklyn, his Ir
Zack
Apr 21, 2009 Zack rated it it was amazing

So far I still haven't read any fiction by him, and suspect I wouldn't like it, whatever that's worth, but Robert Anton Wilson's Cosmic Trigger trilogy (called so I guess because all three books are autobiographically-based) is among my favorite works of writing. I just reread this one, volume two, which is the only one I have at present, having given those three books away as a birthday present to someone who may or may not love them quite so much as I. S
Zulu Adams
Nov 03, 2014 Zulu Adams rated it really liked it
This may be heresy, but I think I enjoyed CT2 slightly more than the first one. Like the title suggests, the sequel is indeed more down to earth and discusses RAW's childhood, his college years, his years in Ireland - essentially, many of his other life experiences that were more grounded than the famous way out stuff he recounts in CT1.

Crucially, I think I'd recommend CT2 more readily to the average reader than CT1 because it covers more universal themes that don't push the skepticism too hard
Nick Vandermolen
Mar 20, 2011 Nick Vandermolen rated it it was ok
It's not Cosmic Trigger 1. It felt like such a mishmash of ideas and writings that it was more a cash-grab. There didn't need to be a second Cosmic Trigger. Although it retains much of the RAW humor I enjoy, the paranoia and occult sensibilities were very '90's. I'm much more of a fan of the brain change LSD paranoia cosmic reality of the first. In fact of the synchronicity and connection to the Dogstar Sirius so important to the first he seemed to flippantly write off. It sort of diminish the c ...more
Matt
Sep 10, 2010 Matt rated it it was amazing
i've never enjoyed coke, but my roommates at one time did. in fact, i came downstairs one morning to see my friend cutting a line on the last RAMBO (sXe band) album. this dude didn't know shit about punk and didn't know why i laughed so hard. it really made my day, though.

he and my other roommate got into coke as a substitute for dope, which i suppose is good. i really got along with their dealer; he wasn't bullshitting me or anything cuz he knew i was never gonna buy anything from him. we got t
Glenda
Feb 20, 2008 Glenda rated it it was amazing
This book radically changed my life. It "allowed" me to have fun with philosophy and scientific thought. It got me to believe that I am, to a large degree, master of my own destiny.
It was the first Wilson book I read, and I have devoured many afterwards. All of them are greatly recommended. If you want a great take on philosophy, and an interesting way to look at the world and yourself, this is for you.
M.A. Campbell
Many like. Me likey. This one was more political and autobiographical than the first, but I didn't mind that as my views are quite similar politically.

There isn't much out there similar to this stuff. I haven't found anyone else who can tell it like it is (or like it seems to be) and remain optimistic.

Where is the modern space migration dialogue? Have most of these topics died? Is everyone too busy refreshing Instagram now..?
Dan
Mar 11, 2008 Dan rated it liked it
This semi-autobiographical, semi-historical work juggles four or more non-convergent narrative lines – the death and investigation of Robert Calvi, the discovery and investigation of a dead baby in Kerry, Ireland, Wilson’s aborted suicide attempt, Wilson’s marriage. The resolution of each of these narratives comes at the end of the book, although they do not converge in space or time (parts of the book end in the present while other parts end in the past).
Brendan
Jul 30, 2011 Brendan rated it it was amazing
Upon another go around with this book, I found myself enjoying it more. The strands of story Wilson weaves throughout are expertly crafted, and serve to keep the reader engaged and thinking. The revelations are not nearly as mystical as they are in volume 1- perhaps why I didn't like it as much the first time- but they are there, if you pay attention.

not as entertaining as the first volume in the series, but still worth reading.
Josh Livingroom
Jun 22, 2012 Josh Livingroom rated it liked it
I read this one immediately after finishing the first one, but for some reason Goodreads won't find the first one to let me rate it (4 stars) could it be....CONSPIRACY?
These books were written almost 20 years apart and you can pretty much tell.
If you are interested in magic, reality, conspiracies, crowley, ufos and esoteric knowledge you probably have already read these...
Terra Bosart
Aug 28, 2009 Terra Bosart rated it it was amazing
More detail, referencing the first book, but opens up another Pandora's Box of stories, unsolved mysteries, and perspectives. Pieces apart pseudo-scientific methodologies that are taken for "fact", and alerts me to a term I have never used but always suspected was there, "reality-tunnels".
Another great read by Mr. Wilson, in his own perspective and amusing manner.
Tim
Feb 29, 2016 Tim rated it really liked it
Wow, what to say? Conspiracies, real and imagined, the Vatican Bank, CIA cocaine smuggling, the Illuminati, telepathy - this book has it all, interleaved with autobiographical snippets and short segments that describe each time humanity's total amount of information doubled. Fascinating stuff by a fascinating writer.
Mike
Oct 27, 2015 Mike rated it really liked it
More of a personal story than the first Cosmic Trigger. Wilson recounts the stages of his own intellectual development, paralleling the geometric growth of total human knowledge in the second half of the 20th century.
Loren
Aug 29, 2012 Loren rated it it was amazing
The whole cosmic trigger series is just an awesome read. Entertaining as a book can possibly be - and hilarious whilst intriguing. It really gets you to think about how you think, and the assumptions that people make. One of the greatest reading experiences I've had.
Andrewcharles420
Sep 20, 2010 Andrewcharles420 rated it it was ok
I really enjoy a lot of the philosophies and conclusions RAW espouses, but the writing style sometimes really grates on me, and I'm interested in less autobiographical information. So I guess while I credit RAW for doing so, I wish the editor had smoked less pot...
Paul Kotheimer
Aug 02, 2011 Paul Kotheimer rated it really liked it
it's more fun than learning a foreign language.
Alessandro
Apr 03, 2008 Alessandro rated it really liked it
Not as good as Cosmic Trigger I, but well worth reading if you're a RAW fan.
Ted Peeples
Jun 24, 2015 Ted Peeples rated it it was amazing
Robert Anton Wilson. One of my favorite authors.

"On a planet that increasingly resembles one huge Maximum Security prison, the only intelligent choice is to plan a jail break."
m. soria
Aug 03, 2008 m. soria rated it it was amazing
here is a man whose imagination to supplant history, and dedication to warp his mind is unparalleled by his contemporaries.
betsy kiss
Jan 02, 2010 betsy kiss rated it liked it
stupid-ass, down-the-rabbit-hole reading. college.
Mar 27, 2015 23 rated it liked it
The book is interesting once you get about halfway in, but feels very fragmented and scatter brained compared to Vol 1.
Mark
Jul 21, 2015 Mark rated it liked it
RAW - always amusing and thought provoking, however the 2nd installment was more conspiracy and political (Bush / Reagan & Vatican) than the agnostic and crowley based first book.
John
Jan 08, 2010 John rated it really liked it
My favorite of the Cosmic Trigger Trillogy. While still mystic and thought provoking it spoke in a more defined way than Cosmic Trigger 1.
Del
Dec 12, 2008 Del rated it it was amazing
There's a way that Wilson talks about magic, reality, truth, beauty that turns me on like no one else.
Dan
Dan rated it liked it
Sep 23, 2008
Sam
Sam rated it it was amazing
Nov 27, 2011
Alan
Alan rated it liked it
Mar 10, 2013
John Serafin
John Serafin rated it really liked it
Jul 13, 2010
  • Cosmic Trigger I: Final Secret of the Illuminati by Robert Anton Wilson l Summary & Study Guide
  • Neuropolitique
  • Principia Discordia ● Or ● How I Found Goddess and What I Did to Her When I Found Her: The Magnum Opiate of Malaclypse the Younger
  • Undoing Yourself: With Energized Meditation and Other Devices
  • Leviathan (Illuminatus 3)
  • Book 4
  • Book of Lies: The Disinformation Guide to Magick and the Occult
  • Condensed Chaos: An Introduction to Chaos Magic
  • The Invisible Landscape: Mind, Hallucinogens & the I Ching
  • Zen Without Zen Masters
Robert Anton Wilson became, at various times, an American novelist, essayist, philosopher, polymath, psychonaut, futurist, libertarian and self-described agnostic mystic. Recognized as an Episkopos, Pope, and Saint of Discordianism by Discordians who care to label him as such, Wilson helped publicize the group/religion/melee through his writings, interviews, and strolls.

He described his work as an
More about Robert Anton Wilson...

Cosmic Trigger (3 books)
  • Cosmic Trigger: Die letzten Geheimnisse der Illuminaten oder An den Grenzen des erweiterten Bewusstseins
  • Cosmic Trigger 3: My Life After Death

“Horror is the natural reaction to the last 5,000 years of history.” 77 likes
“On a planet that increasingly resembles one huge Maximum Security prison, the only intelligent choice is to plan a jail break.” 57 likes